Fibrosis and Calicification

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
MadScientist
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride eod, Dutasteride eod, Minoxidil 5%, Dermarolling 1.5mm every 2 weeks. Vitamin K2, EGCG. Cod liver oil.

Post by MadScientist » 2 years ago

https://perfecthairhealth.com/the-ultim ... -our-hair/

Have a read of this. Anecdotally, a lot of stuff in this checks out, a very well reasoned piece that doesn't contradict, but rather supports our current knowledge of hair loss. Just started taking vitamin k2 supplements and have been dermarolling for a year.

Guest-4
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Guest-4 » 2 years ago

Yes, DHT (a hormone made from testosterone) is linked to hair loss… But only one kind of DHT: scalp tissue DHT. Paradoxically, serum (blood) DHT might protect us against hair loss, and body tissue DHT actually encourages body hair growth.

Is the above actually true?

Other thoughts:

1) I did not know that the scalps of balding men have four times as much collagen.
2) I did notice that balding men have "shiny" bald skin, and nobody ever discusses that.
3) This guy wrote a long article, but included no solutions, other than a link to buy his book.

I kind of don't want to read 100 articles on the subject, or subscribe to some list. If he has a short,point-form summary of his protocol, I might try it.

MadScientist
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Regimen: Finasteride eod, Dutasteride eod, Minoxidil 5%, Dermarolling 1.5mm every 2 weeks. Vitamin K2, EGCG. Cod liver oil.

Post by MadScientist » 2 years ago

That part? I don't think so. As far as I'm aware there are only two types of DHT and both are present in scalp and serum. The main takeaways for me were the fibrosis and calcification angles. Fibrosis makes sense, chronic inflammation, build up of collagen fibers, scalp looks shiny and swollen, reduced blood flow, and ultimately death of hair follicles.
The calcification aspect also anecdotally makes sense. It's most common in men with heart disease, and we all know male pattern baldness is very common in heart disease patients. My own grandfather included. We also know vitamin k2 reduces calcification, and it is produced in fermented foods, almost entirely absent in western diets but very commin in east Asain diets... And it just so happens that in Japan, people love natto, a fermented food, rich in vitamin k2, and in Japan, there is a very low prevalence of heart disease, and male pattern baldness tends to happen later in life, very rare in young people (under 30 or even under 40).
I didn't buy the ebook, but what I took from this is that dermarolling and vitamin k2 supplements may be beneficial, dermarolling my help with breaking down excessive collagen fibers and we have heard rumours than minoxidil may also break down collagen...