What's up with these amazing recoveries? e.g. Somebody

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
MyThinningConfidence
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: finasteride 1.25mg, microneedling, fish oil, scalp massage and exercise
Zinc pyrithione, Nizoral, Lipogaine Big 5 used interchangeably
Plus additional lifestyle changes like exercise, eating healthier and sunlight exposure for Vitamin D

Re: What's up with these amazing recoveries? e.g. Somebody

Post by MyThinningConfidence » 5 months ago

Admin wrote:
6 months ago
I'm sorry but, as some of us ( @JasonStatham if I recall well?) had said in the dermarolling thread: where the fuck are all the other results from dermarolling? How come I have myself been dermarolling with a 1.5mm dermaroller (still doing it) for 3.5 months and yet I see zero improvement?
Hey I initially just checked out the site considering it was spammed across and I just read this which just prompted me to create an account. I actually had pretty good success derma rolling, scalp massages and Zinc Pyrithione with occaisonal Nizoral initally and found a great improvement to my density and a decent regrowth on my hair line before even touching finasteride. I used a 0.5mm for some months beforehand and found it did nothing but cause my hair to flake like dandruff but after stepping up to a 1.5mm I was noticing regrowth by the week. It usually took about 8 days for small baby hairs to form and show up if I took a close up. My results aren't exactly amazing but I'm super happy with my results so far and I'm excited for the potential in the future. My regime only started getting more serious 6 months ago and I've been on finasteride for too, just think of the potential I could be sitting on, you can expect an update 6 months to a year from now on my progress and I won't be faking it with a transplant having only just turned 21 and not even being able to afford Uni.

Anyways here is my very first album where I primarily regrew my hair with just 1.5mm Derma rolling, scalp massages and Zinc Pyrithione.

And here is my latest album after having added finasteride (I only just recovered from the shed but with all those baby terminal hairs I'm hoping regrowth will be amazing)

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 5 months ago

Thank you for your thourough report @MyThinningConfidence, and welcome to this forum! :)

I've had exactly the same kind of results as you on my crown, those short "baby hairs" sprouted all over and you'd think it's better than nothing but in daylight or direct artificial lights, they may as well not be there.

I think @That Guy also had a similar experience. It shows the potential it could have and maybe all we need is a little boost like what is developed by Follica or even maybe zinc thymulin.

Lots of experimentation is taking place right now, but in my case, after having been dermarolling for now 5 months with very little improvement, I will soon just go ahead and get a last hair transplant on my crown area in February, totaling 5000 grafts through FUE.

I will then have maximaly exploited that venue and will just patiently wait for new treatments.

MyThinningConfidence
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Regimen: finasteride 1.25mg, microneedling, fish oil, scalp massage and exercise
Plus additional lifestyle changes like exercise, eating healthier and sunlight exposure for Vitamin D

Post by MyThinningConfidence » 5 months ago

Admin wrote:
5 months ago
Thank you for your thourough report @MyThinningConfidence, and welcome to this forum! :)

I've had exactly the same kind of results as you on my crown, those short "baby hairs" sprouted all over and you'd think it's better than nothing but in daylight or direct artificial lights, they may as well not be there.

I think @That Guy also had a similar experience. It shows the potential it could have and maybe all we need is a little boost like what is developed by Follica or even maybe zinc thymulin.

Lots of experimentation is taking place right now, but in my case, after having been dermarolling for now 5 months with very little improvement, I will soon just go ahead and get a last hair transplant on my crown area in February, totaling 5000 grafts through FUE.

I will then have maximaly exploited that venue and will just patiently wait for new treatments.
Definitely with the whole you can't see them in daylight thing, they are only visible in very particular lighting which doesn't exactly have a cosmetic benefit. I have noticed over time that they just keep growing and growing and slowly they've gained more of a slight blonde/ginger appearance. Definitely better than nothing and I completely agree they likely just need that one little push, I started finasteride on September 20th so I'm hoping that's the final push I need. In the past I noticed more intensive microneedling had superior results so I've also stepped up to a 2mm derma stamp a week and a half ago. I do have a bunch of small terminal hairs forming but only time will truly tell. It's incredibly hard to grow hair in a completely bald area so I'm fairly confident the angiogenesis triggered by microneedling will be enough to combat the lessened bloodflow caused by fibrosis. A lot of my regime is based on mechanical stimulation which works under this hypothesis https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 7717310411

Sucks that you weren't able to get any results but a hair transplant sounds like it will finally give you the results you want, honestly wish I could get one as I've gained a great amount of density overall but my hair line still has awhile to go and my crown has a golfball sized bald patch that refuses to fill in.

As for Zinc Thymulin I hate to say this but the study is potentially not credible as it's published in a predatory open access journal by a publisher (OMICS) known for accepting fraudulent papers. It's the same publisher that published detumescence which found 90% regrowth via scalp massages. I wouldn't be surprised if what they have isn't all that effective and they are primarily making bank, it seems ridiculously expensive and I can't imagine it would be that expensive to formulate. It does have the potential to be real though, I'd recommend doing some background research before buying in and coming to your own conclusion. I haven't looked into it for a long time now, since around the time I was starting my hairloss journey seriously. They could have updated with more credible information since then.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 5 months ago

That Guy wrote:
6 months ago
Yes, he does. That is what dermarolling is.

It's not like you do it so hard you bleed. The Dhurat study just did it until the skin was lightly red. That's wounded, but not at level visible to the naked eye.

Admin is right, the more likely explanation at this point is that Somebody is a conman. It IS pretty suspicious that a guy who is such a rare success story after returning to HairLossTalk years later, with no photos of it growing back in (just all of his hair back at once) is all: "Hey guys, I got my hairback with dermaroller. Buy my book about it."
I really can't believe that anybody could get his results on just dermarolling. His results are just too
fake, or there from the Finasteride .

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).

Post by rclark » 4 months ago

Murkey Thumb wrote:
6 months ago
I have seen a lot of miracle recovery jobs on hair forums over the years but I am fairly convinced that most of them didn't suffer from male pattern baldness in the first place. There are a lots of causes of hairloss thyroid issues, vitamin deficiency, stress, allergy etc these are more likely to be the culprits than male pattern baldness.
Did you ever meet Jazz1, on BaldTruthTalk? He is the biggest con artist ever.

He claims that from Minoxidil alone, he regrew all of his hair.

Turns out he is full of shit. I've even heard he suffers from low thyroid, not androgen
alopecia.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

MyThinningConfidence wrote:
5 months ago
Hey I initially just checked out the site considering it was spammed across and I just read this which just prompted me to create an account. I actually had pretty good success derma rolling, scalp massages and Zinc Pyrithione with occaisonal Nizoral initally and found a great improvement to my density and a decent regrowth on my hair line before even touching finasteride. I used a 0.5mm for some months beforehand and found it did nothing but cause my hair to flake like dandruff but after stepping up to a 1.5mm I was noticing regrowth by the week. It usually took about 8 days for small baby hairs to form and show up if I took a close up. My results aren't exactly amazing but I'm super happy with my results so far and I'm excited for the potential in the future. My regime only started getting more serious 6 months ago and I've been on finasteride for too, just think of the potential I could be sitting on, you can expect an update 6 months to a year from now on my progress and I won't be faking it with a transplant having only just turned 21 and not even being able to afford Uni.

Anyways here is my very first album where I primarily regrew my hair with just 1.5mm Derma rolling, scalp massages and Zinc Pyrithione.

And here is my latest album after having added finasteride (I only just recovered from the shed but with all those baby terminal hairs I'm hoping regrowth will be amazing)
Great job with the regrowth!

If I might ask, are you in your twenties or thirties?

MyThinningConfidence
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by MyThinningConfidence » 4 months ago

rclark wrote:
4 months ago
Great job with the regrowth!

If I might ask, are you in your twenties or thirties?
Thanks, I literally only just turned 21 and I was balding pretty severely as a teenager which is literally the worst time to go through balding, was a NW3 at 16 which made people think I was 25+ and NW4.5 by the time I just turned 20. On the plus side I'm hoping my age plays a part in having an effective recovery.

Murkey Thumb
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by Murkey Thumb » 4 months ago

rclark wrote:
4 months ago
Did you ever meet Jazz1, on BaldTruthTalk? He is the biggest con artist ever.

He claims that from Minoxidil alone, he regrew all of his hair.

Turns out he is full of shit. I've even heard he suffers from low thyroid, not androgen
alopecia.
I haven't visited BaldTruthTalk for about 6 years because it was getting like HairLossTalk is now, full of con artists and shrills. There used to be some cutting edge experimental treatments going on that kept my interest for a while but now it seems more like a hair transplant advice site. I think what really pissed me off was the hype around Histogen (I must admit they had me going for a while) I wasted a lot time researching that con.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

4 months ago
Thanks, I literally only just turned 21 and I was balding pretty severely as a teenager which is literally the worst time to go through balding, was a NW3 at 16 which made people think I was 25+ and NW4.5 by the time I just turned 20. On the plus side I'm hoping my age plays a part in having an effective recovery.
That is exactly what happened to me in my twenties. The majority of my hairloss
occurred then. I am 48 now.

The problem is I didn't start taking Finasteride until I was 43. Big mistake.

Don't stop the Finasteride, because if you stay on it, your gains will be permanent.

Minoxidil won't work long term. I was also an excellent responder, when at 20, I
started using it. It grew in my entire hair line.

But I was afraid of erectile dysfunction, so I didn't start using it until my fourties.
Last edited by rclark 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Rudiger wrote:
6 months ago
Oh and proof of improving hair without pictures- my post count on here goes down significantly lololol
The reason I sometimes don't put pictures here is because I'm still a Norwood three and a half.

I really don't think a Norwood two guy would think I was successful at regrowing my hair.

What Norwood level are you at now?

MyThinningConfidence
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

rclark wrote:
4 months ago
That is exactly what happened to me in my twenties. The majority of my hairloss
occurred then. I am 48 now.

The problem is I didn't start taking Finasteride until I was 43. Big mistake.

Don't stop the Finasteride, because if you stay on it, your gains will be permanent.

Minoxidil won't work long term. I was also an excellent responder, when at 20, I
started using it. It grew in my entire hair line.

But I was afraid of erectile dysfunction, so I didn't start using it until my fourties.
I seriously wish I started taking finasteride when I was 17. When I went back on tressless then I was told hairloss was impossible to cure and even the best treatments usually only maintain and not regrow hair at best and came with severe side effects with prostate cancer being the worst and that was only a temporary solution until you get a hair transplant. Which is false on so many levels, finasteride even reduces the chance of prostate cancer, it just makes it harder to identify which can lead to further development of it if you do actually have it. Never planning to get off finasteride and I am so much happier on it, I've gotten zero sides and I'm 2 months in now. Hairloss subs and forums are the worst I feel since I could have avoided this whole situation and kept my hair when it was still relatively good at 18 and possibly regrew some more on top. There is just so much negativity and misinformation spread around that you can't trust anyone but yourself to go find studies and find legitimate treatments and mechanisms.

The sexual side effects of finasteride don't actually bother me, I was only scared of brainfog/depression which it can supposedly cause but I'm happy to say I have zero sides. I'd even consider jumping up to dutasteride, currently on generic Finasta 5MG finasteride cut into quarters which works out to be $12.50 a month although Avodart is about double which is $25.60 for 500mcg which seems cheap compared to other countries. Only concern is that it costs double being someone who can't even afford to go to university.

Yeah I'm not planning to use minoxidil either, based on my research it's not too great and has numerous issues and concerns for me, an uncommon opinion but I think finasteride is safer than minoxidil from a cosmetic standpoint. I wouldn't even be able to afford generic minoxidil in AU but even before I considered cost a factor there was quite a few reasons I decided to never have my hair become dependent on minoxidil.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Minoxidil isn't bad by itself, in my opinion, it's just a temporary band aid on it's own.

Combined with Finasteride, the density gains should be around eighty five percent, and
should come in faster (of course, for responders, and everybody is different).

That said, with Finasteride alone, I believe the regrowth is sixty percent for responders.

MyThinningConfidence
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

rclark wrote:
4 months ago
Minoxidil isn't bad by itself, in my opinion, it's just a temporary band aid on it's own.

Combined with Finasteride, the density gains should be around eighty five percent, and
should come in faster (of course, for responders, and everybody is different).

That said, with Finasteride alone, I believe the regrowth is sixty percent for responders.
Minoxidil is certainly an effective way to regrow hair, especialy when combined with microneedling but it's just not for me. It's expensive, literally $50 a month here for the foam which means I'd have to get the liquid which is still expensive (cheapest I can find is $44 for a 3 month supply) for someone who can't even afford to go to University it's not ideal. The main downside to the liquid is that it's more difficult and time consuming to apply and takes a long time to dry, I'm lazy and I just want to put it in and go to sleep except if I do that it'd rub off onto my pillows and sheets and have negative consequences on my face. There are a lot of anecdotal reports of dark circles, water retention and wrinkles and in theory minoxidil inhibits collagen production although there are no in-vivo studies about it sadly. At that point I'd rather buy a wig and be done with it than trade my face for my hair. You can minimize the harm by just being careful with your application but it just seems like a lot for me considering the price and the one last major factor. Why do I want hair if I have to have minoxidil in it almost 24/7 making it all greasy? Once my hair had actually regrew I'd probably get lazy and also start skipping applications so my hair appears better when going out and I know that'd likely end very badly, it's just too much of a commitment for me between the sheds and dependency.

That sounds about right though, I've heard finasteride slows/halts hairloss in 80% of people and regrows in 60%

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

I definitely understand what you are saying. That is why I took a break from Minoxidil in my twenties.

It was even more expensive (because it was prescription only), and it only came in two percent,
so it wasn't as good either.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 4 months ago

4 months ago
Minoxidil is certainly an effective way to regrow hair, especialy when combined with microneedling but it's just not for me. It's expensive, literally $50 a month here for the foam which means I'd have to get the liquid which is still expensive (cheapest I can find is $44 for a 3 month supply) for someone who can't even afford to go to University it's not ideal. The main downside to the liquid is that it's more difficult and time consuming to apply and takes a long time to dry, I'm lazy and I just want to put it in and go to sleep except if I do that it'd rub off onto my pillows and sheets and have negative consequences on my face. There are a lot of anecdotal reports of dark circles, water retention and wrinkles and in theory minoxidil inhibits collagen production although there are no in-vivo studies about it sadly. At that point I'd rather buy a wig and be done with it than trade my face for my hair. You can minimize the harm by just being careful with your application but it just seems like a lot for me considering the price and the one last major factor. Why do I want hair if I have to have minoxidil in it almost 24/7 making it all greasy? Once my hair had actually regrew I'd probably get lazy and also start skipping applications so my hair appears better when going out and I know that'd likely end very badly, it's just too much of a commitment for me between the sheds and dependency.

That sounds about right though, I've heard finasteride slows/halts hairloss in 80% of people and regrows in 60%
Minoxidil causing skin sides has been debunked many times now: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9

One bozo saw that in-vitro collagen study back in the mid-2000's and it has since created a wave of paranoia accross hair loss forums.

It's always the same pattern: a newbie reads about the claim that minoxidil causes wrinkles and then thinks he sees wrinkles on his face.

It's never the other way around, unsurprisingly. I myself have been using minoxidil for nearly 10 years and have been applying it on my bears for now 6 months. I'm 29 and still, barely any signs of ageing on my face.

I believe every hair loss sufferer should use minoxidil. When it comes to this disease: you can't afford to snob any treatment that is safe for you in my opinion.