Dermarolling and using current treatments to enhance regrowth

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Re: Dermarolling and using current treatments to enhance regrowth

Post by rclark » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:43 am

I might be seeing some hair regrowth on my vertex, but nothing on my
hairline.

I've gone back to 1.5 millimeters, on my vertex.

I'm pushing topical Finasteride and Minoxidil, and then pumping that in with
a 1.5 millimeter needle.

I'm actually excited about this, and I really think that I'm going to add more than Progesterone, in other
words, I'm going to add Estrogen (a very small amount).

When my one script runs out, in four months, I'm going to add topical Estrogen to it.

The thing is, I'm at the point in life I don't give a fuck, I want hair. Even if it's a Norwood three, that's
still an improvement to my current situation.

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: finasteride, min

Post by kj6723 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:53 pm

I'm switching to a stamp. Pulling out hairs every now and then when I roll, even going slowly and carefully with my hair wet. It's probably not a big deal but it causes me anxiety

I have a 1mm stamp I've never used, but I just ordered a .3mm I can hopefully use at least a few times a week and get the same effect as light rolling

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).

Post by rclark » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:47 pm

If there's no bleeding (after the hair loss), it's probably just cutting them.

My hair is very short (1.5 centimeters), so far there is no scalp damage with
1.5 mm.

I'm using the same length needle with my entire vertex, which is only
a Norwood 4 (I still have a lot of hair on it).

There's no density loss at all.

The .3 millimeters won't hurt, but it probably isn't going to help
your density either.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling every 10 days

Post by Admin » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:05 pm

rclark wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:47 pm
If there's no bleeding (after the hair loss), it's probably just cutting them.

My hair is very short (1.5 centimeters), so far there is no scalp damage with
1.5 mm.

I'm using the same length needle with my entire vertex, which is only
a Norwood 4 (I still have a lot of hair on it).

There's no density loss at all.

The .3 millimeters won't hurt, but it probably isn't going to help
your density either.
I'm using a 1.5mm dermaroller too and my skin is still perfectly healthy where I roll (my crown area).

So it's been 7 weeks of dermarolling for me and I still cannot be sure it's doing something but still, I'd swear that it's slowly improving, that my scalp is more covered back there, and my hair darker.

I'm remaining optimistic given the fact that even after a hair transplant when the hair cycle is reset, it takes minimum 3 months to get like 10% of the hair to grow back.

And the same applies for finasteride, minoxidil, any hair loss treatment really. Of course, only after taking a picture at the same spot after 3 months of dermarolling will I be able to objectively assess if it's working.

If it's not, then yeah, either it was always a scam or some (rare) people have some kind of genetic traits that is propelling their dermarolling results. Either that or not many people are actually sticking to it long enough. I know I was already feeling like giving up a couple of weeks ago.It would be a mistake though as I didn't see any substantial results from minoxidil before like 6-7 months.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by rclark » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:05 am

Admin wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:05 pm
I'm using a 1.5mm dermaroller too and my skin is still perfectly healthy where I roll (my crown area).

So it's been 7 weeks of dermarolling for me and I still cannot be sure it's doing something but still, I'd swear that it's slowly improving, that my scalp is more covered back there, and my hair darker.

I'm remaining optimistic given the fact that even after a hair transplant when the hair cycle is reset, it takes minimum 3 months to get like 10% of the hair to grow back.

And the same applies for finasteride, minoxidil, any hair loss treatment really. Of course, only after taking a picture at the same spot after 3 months of dermarolling will I be able to objectively assess if it's working.

If it's not, then yeah, either it was always a scam or some (rare) people have some kind of genetic traits that is propelling their dermarolling results. Either that or not many people are actually sticking to it long enough. I know I was already feeling like giving up a couple of weeks ago.It would be a mistake though as I didn't see any substantial results from minoxidil before like 6-7 months.

Sorry to hear about your results.

Have you ever tried topical Finasteride?

A compounding pharmacy could make that for you, if you're able
to get it.

You still have hair growing there (it its not a completely bald area). According to
Doctor Bernstein, areas that have hair growing can regrow when both Minoxidil and
Finasteride are still used.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:42 am

I got used to daily dermarolling. No discomfort no more or very slight and I can do it quickly and swiftly in all 4 directions. Shedding decreased and recently I shed very little when dermarolling. I hope it will stay that way. I guess it was the so called "initial shed" caused by higher absorption of Minoxidil into the scalp.

Things are looking good and I am optimistic about the future. I was getting really depressed lately and had mood swings. I guess my mood is dependent on my hair situation. When my treatment goes well and I shed little I feel good but when big sheds happen my happiness gets crashed. I am planning to add some natural oils and vitamins to my regimen like biotin etc.

I feel like there is no much more I can do medically or treatment-wise. I am hoping to at least maintain what I have for next 2 years or improve a little. I feel like the biggest improvement to my hair happened at the beginning of my treatment from Minoxidil and there is no much room for improvement because the quality of hair that I have in front had improved in terms of strength and quality and the rest is just skin so I don't think anything will regrow there unfortunately.

If I maintain until that time I will go for a transplant and then just keep feeling up the balding areas as it goes until my donor is no more capable of being extracted.

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by rclark » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:13 am

supremegentleman wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:42 am
I got used to daily dermarolling. No discomfort no more or very slight and I can do it quickly and swiftly in all 4 directions. Shedding decreased and recently I shed very little when dermarolling. I hope it will stay that way. I guess it was the so called "initial shed" caused by higher absorption of Minoxidil into the scalp. Things are looking good and I am optimistic about the future. I was getting really depressed lately and had mood swings. I guess my mood is dependent on my hair situation. When my treatment goes well and I shed little I feel good but when big sheds happen my happiness gets crashed. I am planning to add some natural oils and vitamins to my regimen like biotin etc. I feel like there is no much more I can do medically or treatment-wise. I am hoping to at least maintain what I have for next 2 years or improve a little. I feel like the biggest improvement to my hair happened at the beginning of my treatment from Minoxidil and there is no much room for improvement because the quality of hair that I have in front had improved in terms of strength and quality and the rest is just skin so I don't think anything will regrow there unfortunately. If I maintain until that time I will go for a transplant and then just keep feeling up the balding areas as it goes until my donor is no more capable of being extracted.
I hope you find the right medication. Once you do, you will find that your hair will stop shedding.

It's just a matter of getting the right compounding pharmacy. I had to continually ask two
different companies until they gave me what I wanted. It took a very long time, and they
were reluctant at first.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily

Post by supremegentleman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:07 am

Well I don't know what the right medication is. It seems like I am doing everything right. Don't get me wrong. Its not like I am shedding huge amounts of hair to the point where I am noticeably thinning or something. Its just this thing that is mystery to me and keeps bothering me.

All sources online and many people report this "initial shed" and that it means it is working and that it should stop. And people online claim they don't shed at all. But what does it mean it stops? Like no hair falling out at all? Since starting the treatment I had no day that was like that. There was always shedding and hair coming out. Sometimes less, sometimes more. I don't know.

Maybe I should be more gentle with my technique. Just can't find definite answer. From scientific perspective it makes sense, Minoxidil pushing out the hair to replace them with stronger ones. Fuck knows. I just keep doing what I am doing because that's what most people suggest. I don't know much about other treatments and medication other than the standard/conventional ones. I could change Finasteride to Dutasteride and that's really it.

Then there are these stronger Minoxidil solutions which I don't know much about and where people are getting them from. Some people take oral Minoxidil but I don't know why? Maybe their skin react bad to topical one? I wouldn't think oral is better than topical because topical increases blood pressure where it is applied whereas oral just does it overall for the whole body and what is point in that? Maybe that's better than nothing I guess.

There is also RU58841 but its just topical finasteride and I am already taking finasteride so I don't know if there is much sense adding RU58841. Some people use it and claim it is good. And there are other topical treatments which I know jack shit about. I seen couple names of this on hair-loss talk but is just mind boggling to get your head around it.

And there are women hormones like estrogen which I wouldn't like to try obviously because I don't want to turn into a women. If anyone has any recommendation what I can add to my regimen then it is highly appreciated to make suggestions.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling every 10 days

Post by Admin » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:42 am

I'm about two months in with dermarolling and it really seems to be like @That Guy pointed out: it does something, it makes you grow some fine hair back, that go to up 1cm maximum, my scalp is more covered but it's just not enough for cosmetically significant results. Which explains the rare positive results we've seen, it's always close-ups and everyone shits their pants over the small hairs popping up, thinking that they will grow to be proper terminal hairs, however, this never happens.

So it's not a complete failure I guess, for some people, those fine hair growing back could be used to hold more hair fibers or to improve the appearance of dermmatch, but yeah, my girlfriend's friends have taken picture of the back of my head in the sun, and in that situation, we see that those "dermarolling hairs" are clearly not enough. So I'd still encourage people to dermaroll with a 1.5mm dermaroller once a week. Some hair is better than no hair, for some people sticking with it while having a shaved head, it has even given them back somewhat of a 5 o'clock shadow. But as I've said, those hairs just don't seem to grow beyond 1cm.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

Johnson
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by Johnson » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:29 am

Admin wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:42 am
I'm about two months in with dermarolling and it really seems to be like @That Guy pointed out: it does something, it makes you grow some fine hair back, that go to up 1cm maximum, my scalp is more covered but it's just not enough for cosmetically significant results. Which explains the rare positive results we've seen, it's always close-ups and everyone shits their pants over the small hairs popping up, thinking that they will grow to be proper terminal hairs, however, this never happens.

So it's not a complete failure I guess, for some people, those fine hair growing back could be used to hold more hair fibers or to improve the appearance of dermmatch, but yeah, my girlfriend's friends have taken picture of the back of my head in the sun, and in that situation, we see that those "dermarolling hairs" are clearly not enough. So I'd still encourage people to dermaroll with a 1.5mm dermaroller once a week. Some hair is better than no hair, for some people sticking with it while having a shaved head, it has even given them back somewhat of a 5 o'clock shadow. But as I've said, those hairs just don't seem to grow beyond 1cm.
Those baby hairs will help toppik users.

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by rclark » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:16 am

Johnson wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:29 am
Those baby hairs will help toppik users.
It's just my opinion, but I really feel that people should
dermaroll Minoxidil, and other topical medication (Finasteride),
to get really good results. And to do that before dermarolling
as well.

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by rclark » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:18 am

It's just my opinion, but I really feel that people should
dermaroll Minoxidil, and other topical medication (Finasteride),
to get really good results. And to do that before dermarolling
as well.

Without some anti androgen, whether it is topical Finasteride,
Dustasteride, or something else, it's probably not worth the
effort, as far as hair density.

I used to believe that Minoxdil was a powerful drug to fight
androgen alopecia.

I was definitely wrong. I really feel that the Finasteride did
a lot more for me than Minoxidil did. And I think if I hopped
on the Finasteride wagon in my twenties, even my thirties,
I would have a lot more hair.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily

Post by supremegentleman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:37 am

@rclark do you dermaroll your hairline daily? I am into 4th week of my dermarolling daily but I noticed that the skin where I dermaroll is getting dry and I have some white flaking. Not itchy or anything but when I scratch it then I get very tiny white gunk under my fingernails. I would assume it is dead skin from all the dermarolling I am doing. It doesn't look like the normal kind of dandruff with big flakes that come out of your hair. And I can't match it with any scalp condition that I looked at online trying to google. I might try some natural oils and applying conditioner to my hair because I've been only using shampoo. Any tips?

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by rclark » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:44 am

supremegentleman wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:37 am
@rclark do you dermaroll your hairline daily? I am into 4th week of my dermarolling daily but I noticed that the skin where I dermaroll is getting dry and I have some white flaking. Not itchy or anything when I scratch it then I get very tiny white gunk under my fingernails. I would assume it is dead skin from all the dermarolling I am doing. I might try some natural oils and applying conditioner to my hair because I've been only using shampoo. Any tips?
Some hair conditioners are really good and can be used daily. Would try a hair conditioner with coconut in it.

I dermaroll the medication in my scalp. Unfortunately it does leave a white residue all over it as well, but
I am able to wash it out with a lot of conditioner. It's a pain in the ass, but I get that even without dermarolling
(30%/15% minoxidil solutions leave that junk in the scalp.)

For my hair type (which is very dry), I only wash it twice/three times a week. That definitely cuts down
on flaking.

Hope that helps.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily

Post by supremegentleman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:47 am

Thanks. I also thought it might be caused by Minoxidil. I seen a video where Somebody is talking about white flakes from liquid minoxidil. I just googled Minoxidil white residue and I see other people getting it as well.