Dermarolling and using current treatments to enhance regrowth

Discuss current and future hair loss solutions: medication, hair transplants, concealers, hair loss research etc.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling 1x a week

Re: Dermarolling and using current treatments to enhance regrowth

Post by Admin » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:21 pm

JasonStatham wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:17 pm
Your crown is perfect for Toppik. Not a lot hair but enough hair to cover it with the fibres. I think I do have more or less the same bad crown.
How many grafts you think you would need to cover your crown?
In its current state, I'd need at least 2000 grafts to have comfortable coverage.

But unfortunately, I don't have that many grafts left so it's going to be around 1000 grafts. And I'll probably stop there and hopefully not obsess on the fact that my coverage is not bullet-proof.

I'm still hoping the dermarolling will allow me to thicken those weak-ass hairs, it's hard to predict when you see so much confusing information about this treatment all over the internet.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

That Guy
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by That Guy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:43 pm

Admin wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:10 pm
@That Guy how's the dermalling experiment working out for you now that you're two months in? Can you see further progress?
The left temple appears to be doing the best still. The hair is darker and longer, and there is a lot of peach fuzz, but despite that, it's not really cosmetically visible from a distance. I think that if a lot of this were to be terminal, it would be a great improvement. I'm still happy that it worked at all.

However, if by the end of August it's not getting much better (which I think will happen) then I will probably just stop dermarolling.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:24 pm

So does this fuck up longish hair? The rolling?

I was thinking to try it in the past (lightly), but afraid because hair is long it might get messed up from roller

I’ve done pretty well so far on topicals BUT I have had some short hairs shed this summer. Not massive quantities BUT great quality which is worriesome.

I can’t tell if I’m just turning over for new hairs or if I’m losing.

So thinking to add something like this (or RU58841?)

I don’t put topicals on after shower but maybe I should do that first? So it’s more potent?

rclark
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas every day.
This is the hairline and entire vertex area.

Post by rclark » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:27 pm

Hairblues wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:24 pm

I was thinking to try it in the past (lightly), but afraid because hair is long it might get messed up from roller

I’ve done pretty well so far on topicals BUT I have had some short hairs shed this summer. Not massive quantities BUT great quality which is worriesome.

I don’t put topicals on after shower but maybe I should do that first? So it’s more potent?
You definitely need to purchase a dermastamp, for longer hair. Do not use a dermaroller.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:24 am

Hairblues wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:24 pm

You can roll on long hair, the YouTuber Somebody Alex (on HairLossTalk as Somebody) has hair that's like 4 or 5 inches long and he derma rolls fine, he said it's a little annoying with long hair but it shouldn't do any damage or anything. I also realise your hair could be considerably longer but it's the same idea really as to how it gets caught under the roller.

If you want to play it safe then instead of rolling it back and forth over the scalp, just roll down each time, for several rolls. So don't go back and forth, instead just one swipe across each time (some recommend this anyway as going back and forth apparently can roll the dead skin in to your scalp and cause infection, however I think most people roll like this and most don't have this problem so I still do it too).
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:40 pm

Update after 5 weeks of dermarolling twice a week with a 1.5mm dermaroller:

Before:

Ater (with shorter hair):
5-weeks-dermarolling.jpg
5-weeks-dermarolling.jpg (87.51 KiB) Viewed 293 times
So is there an improvement or am I seeing things?
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:52 pm

Admin wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:40 pm
Update after 5 weeks of dermarolling twice a week with a 1.5mm dermaroller:

Before:

Ater (with shorter hair):

5-weeks-dermarolling.jpg

So is there an improvement or am I seeing things?
I mean it's slight, my initial reaction to be honest was "no, can't see anything" and I looked closer and felt there was a bit more density just at the back of the skull (I wish I could illustrate this on a computer). If you look at Before there's a little bald patch at the donor area, just left of centre of your head (from camera perspective) and even though I can tell your hair is a little shorter, to me that's filled in a bit.

As for the actual crown well yes I can see a thicker patch, starting at the very central part of the crown and going slightly up and to the left. However this may be just the way some hairs tuffed together, being a fluffy diffuse aficionado I know the difference a few hair buddies together can make in giving the illusion of density. It's hard to tell with that, there could be slight improvement there as well

And after all, 5 weeks is only ever going to be slight improvement. I would say a solid 8-12 months and if it's still hard to tell, I wouldn't worry about it making much of a difference.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:59 pm

Rudiger wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:52 pm
I mean it's slight, my initial reaction to be honest was "no, can't see anything" and I looked closer and felt there was a bit more density just at the back of the skull (I wish I could illustrate this on a computer). If you look at Before there's a little bald patch at the donor area, just left of centre of your head (from camera perspective) and even though I can tell your hair is a little shorter, to me that's filled in a bit.

As for the actual crown well yes I can see a thicker patch, starting at the very central part of the crown and going slightly up and to the left. However this may be just the way some hairs tuffed together, being a fluffy diffuse aficionado I know the difference a few hair buddies together can make in giving the illusion of density. It's hard to tell with that, there could be slight improvement there as well

And after all, 5 weeks is only ever going to be slight improvement. I would say a solid 8-12 months and if it's still hard to tell, I wouldn't worry about it making much of a difference.
Ah yes, I've been rolling for 5 weeks but the pictures are actually 28 days apart, so you really can't expect much it's true, but still, I could swear it was improving. Seeing the testimonies on www.stopaga.com really encouraged me to stick with it. But those guys (2y2r, PrettyFly, Somebody, etc.) seem to have gotten extremely lucky, and it's hard to tell why they managed to get so much regrowth from dermarolling.

rclark
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).

Post by rclark » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:29 pm

I've been derma rolling both before and after a high concentrated amount of Minoxidil, with Finasteride,
and Progesterone. (Thirty percent Minoxidil).

The reason for the high amount is the one company had a ruined batch from high heat. The ruined
batch is fifteen percent, which is easier to rub in (less dense).

There's been a hair count of about nine to fifteen terminal hairs since I started doing this. There is some
minor bleeding with the 1.5 millimeter derma rolling.

To show better quality pictures, I dyed my hair and got it cut shorter again (to see it easier against
my bald hairline/scalp).

The terminal hair is in the right temple (most of it). There are a few terminal hairs on the left, but they
are very hard to see.
Last edited by rclark on Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rclark
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Right Temple Regrowth pictures

Post by rclark » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:26 pm

Pictures taken today:
20180804_large_area_view.jpg
20180804_large_area_view.jpg (52.24 KiB) Viewed 277 times
20180804_right_temple_regrowth.jpg
20180804_right_temple_regrowth.jpg (49.82 KiB) Viewed 277 times

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:52 pm

rclark wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:29 pm
I've been derma rolling both before and after a high concentrated amount of Minoxidil, with Finasteride,
and Progesterone. (Thirty percent Minoxidil).

The reason for the high amount is the one company had a ruined batch from high heat. The ruined
batch is fifteen percent, which is easier to rub in (less dense).

There's been a hair count of about nine to fifteen terminal hairs since I started doing this. There is some
minor bleeding with the 1.5 millimeter derma rolling.

To show better quality pictures, I dyed my hair and got it cut shorter again (to see it easier against
my bald hairline/scalp).

The terminal hair is in the right temple (most of it). There are a few terminal hairs on the left, but they
are very hard to see.

You think the high percentage of minoxidil makes a big difference?

You still use the same place (forgot name the apothecary) ?

Whatever happened with the place that was doing the topicals finasteride study? Forgot name is fhem. Politech?

rclark
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by rclark » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Hairblues wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:52 pm
You think the high percentage of minoxidil makes a big difference?

You still use the same place (forgot name the apothecary) ?

Whatever happened with the place that was doing the topicals finasteride study? Forgot name is fhem. Politech?
Good question. I go to two competing companies, Murray's (apothecary) and Promox.

The reason is, they both have their "off" season. In summer, the product in Florida goes bad (liquifies), when
it's too hot.

In winter, the other one turns into water, believe it or not!

In the fall and spring, both companies make good products.

This has been my own experience, and everybody's different, of course.
The liquid Finasteride made my results permanent. However, the Progesterone
keeps me from having "normal" hair shedding (60 - 100 hairs). I only shed a few
hairs a month.

And I've been using a high dosage of liquid Progesterone for a long time (years) now.

So, it gave me that extra density from not having "normal" hair shedding.

rclark
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by rclark » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:15 pm

Admin wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:21 pm
In its current state, I'd need at least 2000 grafts to have comfortable coverage.

But unfortunately, I don't have that many grafts left so it's going to be around 1000 grafts. And I'll probably stop there and hopefully not obsess on the fact that my coverage is not bullet-proof.

I'm still hoping the dermarolling will allow me to thicken those weak-ass hairs, it's hard to predict when you see so much confusing information about this treatment all over the internet.
You're still in a good healthy age range.

If a guy in his late forties can get regrowth, it's definitely a possibility for a man in his twenties
or thirties.

If it is possible (and it might not be, countries have different laws), have you ever thought of trying
a compounding pharmacy and script?

In the United States, I can legally cut things from my perscriptions, I just can't legally get higher
doses without a new prescription.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:12 pm

I just started dermarolling yesterday. I get a lot of shedding after dermarolling and applying Minoxidil. Is it normal? I had a longer hair before though so maybe the Minoxidil wasn't getting to the scalp so much hence less shedding.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:18 pm

supremegentleman wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:12 pm
I just started dermarolling yesterday. I get a lot of shedding after dermarolling and applying Minoxidil. Is it normal? I had a longer hair before though so maybe the Minoxidil wasn't getting to the scalp so much hence less shedding.
Shedding doesn't mean much, the state of your hair is more important. This has been explained many times, you could shed 150 hairs a day and have Brad Pitt's hair and you could shed a few dozen hairs a day and thin/bald like a motherfucker, which was what happened to me when I was in my late teens.

Just stick with treatments no matter what happens, and just keep an eye on the state of your hair, that's all that matters after all. Who cares about how many hairs there are on your pillow or in your sink?

I noticed that I've been shedding a lot on top recently, where my 4000 grafts have been implanted, and even though my shedding increased, the overall appearance of my hair has only been getting better. So again, to hammer the point home, shedding doesn't matter.