Dermarolling and using current treatments to enhance regrowth

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
That Guy
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2.5

Re: Dermarolling and using current treatments to enhance regrowth

Post by That Guy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:50 pm

Admin wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:24 am
That's great news! Especially coming from you.

How often do you dermaroller? What is the length of your roller? How hard and how long do you roll?

At the moment I do it once a week with a 1.5mm dermaroller for about a couple of minutes until my scalp turns red and there are a few spots of blood here and there. I didn't want to go too hard the first time because I was afraid the redness would stay until the next day, but it went away pretty fast actually (less than an hour).
2-3 times a week, 1.5mm. I'm kinda going with a fusion of Somebody and Dhurat. Rolling horizontally, diagonally, vertically until the skin is lightly red and then applying minoxidil instead of waiting. Some say you shouldn't do that, but I've had no problem thus far.

Like I say, there is definitely signs of it working, but I just hope that hair does wind up being cosmetically significant in the end. I'd consider it a win that it actually worked on any level.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling every 10 days

Post by Admin » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:31 am

That Guy wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:50 pm
2-3 times a week, 1.5mm. I'm kinda going with a fusion of Somebody and Dhurat. Rolling horizontally, diagonally, vertically until the skin is lightly red and then applying minoxidil instead of waiting. Some say you shouldn't do that, but I've had no problem thus far.

Like I say, there is definitely signs of it working, but I just hope that hair does wind up being cosmetically significant in the end. I'd consider it a win that it actually worked on any level.
Thank you for this, I'm upgrading to rolling every three days. My scalp gets red and pulsates but I'm reassured that the redness goes away very fast. I use minoxidil immediately too, and sometimes stemoxydine. I also hope it will improve the efficiency of my adenosin shampoo.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:13 pm

I just bought my dermaroller. Its 1.5mm with 192 needles. I am wondering if 540 needles is better?

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:36 pm

20180629_093635_vertex.jpg
20180629_093635_vertex.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 789 times
This is the vertex, during the start of microneedling. I've only done it for a week at this point.

My vertex has only been thinning for around five years, and the hairloss is more recent,
so hopefully I can get some of it back.

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).

Post by rclark » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:33 pm

I am changing the size of the needle to 0.5 millimeters for my diffuse area.

No bad effects from the 1.5 mm, the problem is it gives me a haircut when I use it.

My hair is already very short (0.375 inches when picture taken, or 0.9375 centimeters), and
I don't want to look balder than I already am.

So, I plan on still using the 1.5 mm on my hairline, which is extremely receded (bald area is much
larger than my vertex, classic male Norwood going on here).

My diffuse vertex, and areas with low hair density will now have a 0.5 mm dermaroller over
them.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:33 pm

OK, it's only been roughly a little more than two weeks of dermarolling every 3 days for me (with a 1.5 mm dermaroller) and I think my coverage back there has already slightly improved. It's subtle but I'm much less like "holy shit I'm so bald back there!", and I cut my hair yesterday so it's not the fact that it's longer.

I'm excited but I don't think it's going to produce a miracle to the point that I won't need that third hair transplant. But damn, I really thought it thought this would do jack shit. Some people have seen the back of my head in my hair transplants thread so what I'm going to do is to post another picture of my crown at the same place and angle after 12 weeks of dermarolling (so at the end of September 2018).

Then we'll be able to objectively assess if dermarolling works (worked for me?) or not. Damn I'd need so little more hair to be able to "make it" at the moment. Anyway, if it doesn't bring back enough coverage, I'll just have that last FUE, it's not like I'm not used to going under the knife by now :).
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by rclark » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:41 am

Admin wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:33 pm
OK, it's only been roughly a little more than two weeks of dermarolling every 3 days for me (with a 1.5 mm dermaroller) and I think my coverage back there has already slightly improved. It's subtle but I'm much less like "holy shit I'm so bald back there!", and I cut my hair yesterday so it's not the fact that it's longer.

I'm excited but I don't think it's going to produce a miracle to the point that I won't need that third hair transplant. But damn, I really thought it thought this would do jack shit. Some people have seen the back of my head in my hair transplants thread so what I'm going to do is to post another picture of my crown at the same place and angle after 12 weeks of dermarolling (so at the end of September 2018).

Then we'll be able to objectively assess if dermarolling works (worked for me?) or not. Damn I'd need so little more hair to be able to "make it" at the moment. Anyway, if it doesn't bring back enough coverage, I'll just have that last FUE, it's not like I'm not used to going under the knife by now :).
Age is definitely in your favor. Sorry for the advanced hair loss at your age, that does suck.
It really does.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:35 am

I've been really inconsistent with my derma rolling, first time today in maybe a week and a half. To think I was once wondering if daily was too much.

I'll try be more realistic with sticking to twice a week. I'll give myself 2 particular days, Monday and Friday, so I definitely focus on getting it done.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by rclark » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:19 pm

Rudiger wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:35 am
I've been really inconsistent with my derma rolling, first time today in maybe a week and a half. To think I was once wondering if daily was too much.

I'll try be more realistic with sticking to twice a week. I'll give myself 2 particular days, Monday and Friday, so I definitely focus on getting it done.
I've been doing the 0.5 mm almost every day now. I also cut my Minoxidil down.

For me, the issue is when I use a 1.5 mm derma roller, it gives me a haircut, which I definitely
don't want. (As my hair is too short as it is).

This is my own experience, and I can definitely say this. None of my diffuse terminal hairs (hairline, Norwood 3.5+),
have gone out, or were injured in any way.

It's easy for me to tell, because they are surrounded by a two centimeter bald area, all the
way around. And they are the only terminal hairs on my hairline as well.

I still use a 1.5 mm roller, just on my bald/diffuse hairline only. And that is every other
day. I use 15% Minoxidil combined with .1% Finasteride, and 2% Progesterone.

No feminine side effects, and thanks to weight lifting, my chest is even getting
flatter now.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:15 pm

rclark wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:19 pm
I've been doing the 0.5 mm almost every day now. I also cut my Minoxidil down.

For me, the issue is when I use a 1.5 mm derma roller, it gives me a haircut, which I definitely
don't want. (As my hair is too short as it is).

This is my own experience, and I can definitely say this. None of my diffuse terminal hairs (hairline, Norwood 3.5+),
have gone out, or were injured in any way.

It's easy for me to tell, because they are surrounded by a two centimeter bald area, all the
way around. And they are the only terminal hairs on my hairline as well.

I still use a 1.5 mm roller, just on my bald/diffuse hairline only. And that is every other
day. I use 15% Minoxidil combined with .1% Finasteride, and 2% Progesterone.

No feminine side effects, and thanks to weight lifting, my chest is even getting
flatter now.
I prefer having you here as "rclark" by the way.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:22 am

It's been a bit more than a month since I started dermarolling (1.5mm twice a week), and there's definitely a huge increase in vellus hair and the back of my head is slightly more covered in ambient light.

I also stumbled on this thread on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/comm ... nfrequent/

How are you guys doing on your side?

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by rclark » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:29 pm

Admin wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:22 am
It's been a bit more than a month since I started dermarolling (1.5mm twice a week), and there's definitely a huge increase in vellus hair and the back of my head is slightly more covered in ambient light.

I also stumbled on this thread on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/comm ... nfrequent/

How are you guys doing on your side?
There vellus hairs that are "in between", they're not terminal (growing constantly). Those are on my hairline. It's not worse (same small amount of terminal hairs are growing, not destroyed by my 1.5 millimeter dermaroller, but no gains). I need to take more pictures of my vertex when
it's wet.

Right now I'm just using 0.5 millimeters on my vertex/denser areas.

I get the "in between" hair with a high Minoxidil concentration, but unfortunately for me it never gets anywhere.

The hair on my hairline has been dead for decades, so I don't think it will come back for me.

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by rclark » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:33 am

My hair hasn't been growing as fast, since dermarolling but not slow either.
Just average.

It used to grow 2.5 centimeters per month.

Now it's only growing a 1.25 centimeters per month, which is average.

I just got a haircut today, and had a clipper guard of 5/8 inches (.625 inches), and
barely anything off. When I last got my haircut, on June 29th, 2018, it was with a 2/8 guard.

It is possible that the Latanoprost, which I use for hairgrowth, has been contaminated
in a shipment that got ruined from heat.

Other than that, everything has been the same. I need good light to show my new terminal
hairs (only three, of probably thousands that have died on my hairline). I'll try to show it
this weekend.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:10 pm

@That Guy how's the dermalling experiment working out for you now that you're two months in? Can you see further progress?

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:17 pm

Admin wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:33 pm

Your crown is perfect for Toppik. Not a lot hair but enough hair to cover it with the fibres. I think I do have more or less the same bad crown.
How many grafts you think you would need to cover your crown?