Dermarolling and using current treatments to enhance regrowth

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Re: Dermarolling and using current treatments to enhance regrowth

Post by rclark » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:58 am

koolaidshade wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:02 pm
now who told you that? an inch, hell, even a quarter inch, can make a big difference in terms of aesthetics/youth
Well, I didn't say it, but it was from the "Bald Truth talk". So, it must be true, right?

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:26 am

Here, straight from the Wikipedia, which can be edited by anybody, the
stages that everybody goes through during would healing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wound_healing

In the dermarolling study, all the men were between the ages of twenty five and thirty five.

Here's what blocks wound healing:

The wound healing process is not only complex but also fragile, and it is susceptible to interruption or failure leading to the formation of non-healing chronic wounds. Factors that contribute to non-healing chronic wounds are diabetes, venous or arterial disease, infection, and metabolic deficiencies of old age.

The body has to go through an entire process, and then it destroys the "damaged cells", in addition
to cells around the wound area, so all of it can be healed.

Looking at the pictures, it's hard to imagine a small wound to turn into a hair follicle (or at least
in my mind it is).

Not only would the body have to spend energy in healing itself, in addition, it would have to make
a "terminal growing hair follicle", which would continually grow.

shadylane
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxdil, Zinc Thymulin, Keto Cream, Derminator

Post by shadylane » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:57 pm

I've just splashed out on a derminator, they advise to use the highest setting on your scalp of 2.25mm.
I will be using it every Sunday and update you with the results.

I can't find the article, but I remember there was an old man who was bald and he wounded his head when he fell on a fireplace (obviously a bigger wound) ,but he regrew a patch of hair.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling every 10 days

Post by Admin » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:52 pm

OK, you see the golden dermaroller he's recommending at the end of this video?

That's the one I bought back in 2013 and that I've been using for the last 4 months or so.

And yes, it is apparently very solid, but since it's the only (well the second after my .5 mm one) dermaroller I've bought, I wouldn't know what the average quality of one would be.

So that's good news, what's not good news is that I (think I) see jack shit in terms of improvement for my hair.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:58 am

This is the question. I just dermarolled my scalp, applied Minoxidil and started rubbing it in as I always do. But I found following post online:
I apply the liquid with the dropper and do not rub it in at all, When i went to my Derm he got out a piece of paper and said this is how you apply, Placed a single line on the paper and within 1 minute that line had grown into a massive amount of space, the point was that the minoxidil will move itself and he also pointed out the rubbing minoxidil on your head only ruins the penatration because ur actually rubbing it off your head and most of it is getting on your hands and in your hair. Make of that what you will lol.
Some doctors on on realself approve this but others claim it should be rubbed in or rubbed gently. What is your take on this.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:20 am

Someone just posted those dermarolling + minoxidil results (5 months) on the tressless subreddit:

And of course, most people are going to cream their pants over it, both on reddit and HairlossTalk:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... st-1733603

My opinion as someone who's been dealing with hair loss and deceitful hype for now 10 years? You can see it coming:

People who don't have much experience with hair loss, shaving their hair, growing it back, buzzing it underestimate how much the length of your hair can make. When I was heavily balding, I would look nearly bald with a buzz cut and yet when I let it grow longer than 3cm, I'd have a mop of hair on my head.

The golden rule of before/after pictures: the hair has to be the same length. Now I wish I was wrong but I really don't think I am. It's baffling to me that I'm witnessing 2013 all over again. Dermarolling was all the shit and was going to save us all then, and now we're back to that after 5 years of almost no positive results.

The 2young2bald who supposedly had the most amazing result then pulled exactly the same stunt: buzz cut in the before pictures and long hair in the after ones. And he always refused to buzz his hair again.

The same tricks over and over again. From the Dhurat study to this guy.

What do you guys think?
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Yeah and you can see that the hair is combed over from left to right and on the buzz cut the left side is the weak side

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:36 pm

Good for him to have such nice hair. But I'm still waiting for the moment that people can make a before and after picture with the same fucking conditions. You cant such grow your hair out more and comb it to the side as a compare picture. But normies will love it and dermaroll into virginity.

shadylane
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Regimen: Minoxdil, Zinc Thymulin, Keto Cream, Derminator

Post by shadylane » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:12 pm

I'm unsure about certain results I've seen, I am convinced something positive will come from this though, a combintaion of wounding with some sort of topical treatment......That DR Choi is on the right track.

I am currently wounding at 2.25mm with minoxdil twice a day, it's only been a few weeks but I am defintely going to stick with it, my scalp feels better already. I purchased the Derminator which was quite expensive, but i am confident I'm using the best method available and the pain is minimal due to the power of the device.

I will update you with my progress in a few months and if I manage to get some decent results I won't be selling some shit eBook.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:36 am

Alright another honest and clear result (no seriously) after the use of dermarolling for 6 months:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... st-1735406

This matches all the other results that have been posted and it's the maximum effect you will achieve through wound healing.

Better than nothing for sure, and useful if you use concealers, but nothing significant, go in ambient daylight and the hairs nearly become invisible. And they won't grow longer than that either.

Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Regimen: Dermapen and minoxidil

Post by 74775446 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:17 am

Admin wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:36 am
Alright another honest and clear result (no seriously) after the use of dermarolling for 6 months:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... st-1735406

This matches all the other results that have been posted and it's the maximum effect you will achieve through wound healing.

Better than nothing for sure, and useful if you use concealers, but nothing significant, go in ambient daylight and the hairs nearly become invisible. And they won't grow longer than that either.
I shared a Google Photo album with almost 300 photos in it. I've regrown so much hair that I don't care if the temples come in but I think they will eventually.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CqvHSQGjfAFk96jg7

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:49 am

74775446 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:17 am
I shared a Google Photo album with almost 300 photos in it. I've regrown so much hair that I don't care if the temples come in but I think they will eventually.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CqvHSQGjfAFk96jg7
Impressive! Thank you!

I took a 2-week break from dermarolling since it was hard to keep up on holiday but yeah, I have never really stopped it and I'm now 6 months in. I have very little hope that further improvement is coming but what the hell, this is so easy to do.

I still have a last hair transplant for my crown scheduled in Februrary and by then, I'll be 9 months in. If nothing more significant has happened by then, I'll just go through with it.

Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by 74775446 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:27 pm

Admin wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:49 am
Impressive! Thank you!

I took a 2-week break from dermarolling since it was hard to keep up on holiday but yeah, I have never really stopped it and I'm now 6 months in. I have very little hope that further improvement is coming but what the hell, this is so easy to do.

I still have a last hair transplant for my crown scheduled in Februrary and by then, I'll be 9 months in. If nothing more significant has happened by then, I'll just go through with it.
I did get very good results using the cheapest 1.5mm roller on Amazon, as did my brother in law, but I have now upgraded to a pen. I don't think it makes much difference in terms of results but I do find it much easier to use.

The Google Photos album tries to document everything as accurately as possible, as I only made it for my own benefit. I've tried to keep the angle the same and there are lots with wet hair, in direct sunlight, just after applying minoxidil etc.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:55 pm

74775446 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:27 pm
I did get very good results using the cheapest 1.5mm roller on Amazon, as did my brother in law, but I have now upgraded to a pen. I don't think it makes much difference in terms of results but I do find it much easier to use.

The Google Photos album tries to document everything as accurately as possible, as I only made it for my own benefit. I've tried to keep the angle the same and there are lots with wet hair, in direct sunlight, just after applying minoxidil etc.
Thanks for the very precise documentation of your progress.

Now what I'm wondering is if you started microneedling and minoxidil at the same time.

Because if that's the case, getting such impressive results from the use of minoxidil alone is not unheard of. It was certainly the case for me as I started using minoxidil at the age of 20 and despite dealing with an aggressive form of diffused hair loss, my results were quite impressive and remained well above baseline for about a year and a half. After that though, my hair went to hell quite quickly and I went from the appearance of a NW1 to a NW5 in a matter of months.

I'm not trying to scare you here, that's just my experience with minoxidil :p. Regarding dermarolling, I'm still seeing some improvements after now 6 months, but I've seen those improvements in many cases out there, people who started with a nearly bald scalp (like that Greek guy) take pictures up close and show a sometimes crazy amount of those tiny hair who are just above vellus hair in quality. Now don't get me wrong, it is indeed impressive but those hairs seems to stay stuck in that state forever.

That's why there is still a vivid debate going on regarding the efficiency of dermarolling. We can't seem to agree on what it does exactly. There are still many people out there, some of them very knowledgeable about hair loss who will tell you that it doesn't do anything. And I can see why, here they'll bring up the use of minoxidil for example, and for Somebody, his use of finasteride on top of it as well as his attempt to sell his solution as an ebook.

Anyway, despite all this, your results have encouraged me to continue to dermaroll, but I will now do so every 10 days as waiting more may be more beneficial judging by the information I've seen lately. It's a bit sad that the guy who has brought up this thread on HairlossTalk and some people responding to it have seen my criticisms of dermarolling as an attempt to dismiss it as a scam. I've never said that though, and I have not stopped my own experiment with it.

It's also funny how one of them went after my future hair transplant and mocked it as a "butchering of my crown":

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... st-1736219

Hair loss sufferers should be careful about uttering such statements as they can come back to hunt them later in their hair loss journey. You never know what the future has in store for you, and it's easy to dismiss hair transplants as butchering and suboptimal solutions when you're still a NW2 with minimal hair loss, when you've been in my position though (slick NW5 at the age of 22), you quickly learn to appreciate that some "butchering" can turn back the clock a little to give you an at least acceptable head of hair.

And that's also why I still want to give dermarolling the benefit of the doubt, it's easy, safe and cheap so why not go on with it? As I've said, I'm going to meet my surgeon 9 months into dermarolling and he'll be in a good position to judge whether the state of my hair improved or not. Before that, I'll try to upload pictures in the same conditions that the baseline ones were taken to have a more objective look at my situation.

I hope you can maintain those good results with your current regimen for a long time :).

Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by 74775446 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:25 pm

Admin wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:55 pm
Thanks for the very precise documentation of your progress.

Now what I'm wondering is if you started microneedling and minoxidil at the same time.

Because if that's the case, getting such impressive results from the use of minoxidil alone is not unheard of. It was certainly the case for me as I started using minoxidil at the age of 20 and despite dealing with an aggressive form of diffused hair loss, my results were quite impressive and remained well above baseline for about a year and a half. After that though, my hair went to hell quite quickly and I went from the appearance of a NW1 to a NW5 in a matter of months.

I'm not trying to scare you here, that's just my experience with minoxidil :p. Regarding dermarolling, I'm still seeing some improvements after now 6 months, but I've seen those improvements in many cases out there, people who started with a nearly bald scalp (like that Greek guy) take pictures up close and show a sometimes crazy amount of those tiny hair who are just above vellus hair in quality. Now don't get me wrong, it is indeed impressive but those hairs seems to stay stuck in that state forever.

That's why there is still a vivid debate going on regarding the efficiency of dermarolling. We can't seem to agree on what it does exactly. There are still many people out there, some of them very knowledgeable about hair loss who will tell you that it doesn't do anything. And I can see why, here they'll bring up the use of minoxidil for example, and for Somebody, his use of finasteride on top of it as well as his attempt to sell his solution as an ebook.

Anyway, despite all this, your results have encouraged me to continue to dermaroll, but I will now do so every 10 days as waiting more may be more beneficial judging by the information I've seen lately. It's a bit sad that the guy who has brought up this thread on HairlossTalk and some people responding to it have seen my criticisms of dermarolling as an attempt to dismiss it as a scam. I've never said that though, and I have not stopped my own experiment with it.

It's also funny how one of them went after my future hair transplant and mocked it as a "butchering of my crown":

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... st-1736219

Hair loss sufferers should be careful about uttering such statements as they can come back to hunt them later in their hair loss journey. You never know what the future has in store for you, and it's easy to dismiss hair transplants as butchering and suboptimal solutions when you're still a NW2 with minimal hair loss, when you've been in my position though (slick NW5 at the age of 22), you quickly learn to appreciate that some "butchering" can turn back the clock a little to give you an at least acceptable head of hair.

And that's also why I still want to give dermarolling the benefit of the doubt, it's easy, safe and cheap so why not go on with it? As I've said, I'm going to meet my surgeon 9 months into dermarolling and he'll be in a good position to judge whether the state of my hair improved or not. Before that, I'll try to upload pictures in the same conditions that the baseline ones were taken to have a more objective look at my situation.

I hope you can maintain those good results with your current regimen for a long time :).
Don't worry about the guys on there - they all seem cool guys and they're just excited about a possible solution. I think the criticism of your post is because we actually think you are getting good results, even if you don't agree. It's good that we are building up lots of different experiences with this.

I did start dermarolling and minoxidil at the same time in March 2018 (8 months ago) at the age of 32. The interesting thing, however, is that I tried minoxidil when I was 25 or 26 for 2 years but stopped because it had zero effect at all.

A few of the guys on Hairlosstalk are going to be trying dermarolling without minoxidil so we should have some half decent data to work from soon.

I'm totally new to all these forums and only went on to post my results. I had an Amazon Associate account so included affiliate links to the pens, roller etc that I have used on my own head and got slaughtered for it. I thought I might as well try to make 5% off sales if I could but it just seemed to cast a lot of doubt on my results.

The doubt is the reason I made my own progress album public and I hope at least a few others experience the same growth as I did. I totally understand why people don't believe results when there is an attempt to make money but I think I would be silly not to. My main purpose is to help but I will not deny for one second that I will be thinking of way to monetise this for myself: I have documented a fairly simple technique better than anyone else I can see, and it would be silly on my part to let the existing companies make all the money when I'm driving sales for them.