Dermarolling and using current treatments to enhance regrowth

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Re: Dermarolling and using current treatments to enhance regrowth

Post by supremegentleman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Weirdly, I washed my hair with warm water and a normal shampoo and the thing is gone xD I washed with Nizoral yesterday and lately I have been taking cold showers so maybe that was the issue. Seems very random. Maybe my pores were closed all the time and there was some kind of Minoxidil build-up.

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:56 am

supremegentleman wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:40 pm
Weirdly, I washed my hair with warm water and a normal shampoo and the thing is gone xD I washed with Nizoral yesterday and lately I have been taking cold showers so maybe that was the issue. Seems very random. Maybe my pores were closed all the time and there was some kind of Minoxidil build-up.
That's great news! Nizoral is even more effective than zinc, for scalp cleaning.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily

Post by supremegentleman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:12 am

Fuck, I must have developed some allergic reaction to Nizoral. When I wash my hair with regular shampoo everything is fine but now Nizoral gives me some weird dry white skin on scalp. Shieeeeeeet.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling every 10 days

Post by Admin » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:39 pm

OK, I think it's time to settle this once and for all for anyone who still had doubts about it since the first Indian dermarolling study came out in 2013.

Dermarolling for hair loss basically doesn't do shit. I've been rolling with a 1.5mm dermaroller consistently once a week for more than 3 months and there is basically no change, no significant cosmetic change anyway, it makes vellus hair sprout to the point that you'd swear that something is happening, but they never turn terminal.

Now I remember was I was so vehemently against the hope that dermarolling was giving hair loss newbies in 2013. I got demonized for it and some people still mentioned it after my ban in 2018. This discussion has somehow resumed in this thread with some members wanting to believe and others saying it was a scam.

I'm kind of relieved that it didn't do anything because I can finally be sure that I didn't miss on anything that could have helped my hair loss in the past, anything that wasn't hormonal since as most of you know, I already had to undergo surgery to fix a drug-induced (not from finasteride) gynecomastia.

Something I've noticed and that is not specific to dermarolling in the world of hair loss is that people who start it all over the place never come back to tell us that it did jack shit for them. And all you've left with are that handful of shady cases where the guy was also taking finasteride and drinking gallons of minoxidil. And the fact that Somebody and a couple of other people are the only ones benefiting from this treatment is not normal. Some of them if not all of them tricked the general public, had a hair transplant and then tried to make money starting a BS hair loss YouTube channel.

I guess @That Guy never had any visible results with his dermarolling experiment either otherwise he'd be telling us here. So yeah, I'd just say, don't bother. As shookwun said on HairlossTalk, they tricked us with different angles, lightning and hair lengths in the studies. Hope really is a dangerous thing when it comes to male pattern baldness, I knew something was up based on the lack of before/after on the whole internet while it's now been 5 years that dermarolling sort of went mainstream in the hair loss community.

I'm glad I gave it a try, and I really hope that more and more people who try it get the word out.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: finasteride, min

Post by kj6723 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:20 am

Admin wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:39 pm
OK, I think it's time to settle this once and for all for anyone who still had doubts about it since the first Indian dermarolling study came out in 2013.

Dermarolling for hair loss basically doesn't do shit. I've been rolling with a 1.5mm dermaroller consistently once a week for more than 3 months and there is basically no change, no significant cosmetic change anyway, it makes vellus hair sprout to the point that you'd swear that something is happening, but they never turn terminal.

Now I remember was I was so vehemently against the hope that dermarolling was giving hair loss newbies in 2013. I got demonized for it and some people still mentioned it after my ban in 2018. This discussion has somehow resumed in this thread with some members wanting to believe and others saying it was a scam.

I'm kind of relieved that it didn't do anything because I can finally be sure that I didn't miss on anything that could have helped my hair loss in the past, anything that wasn't hormonal since as most of you know, I already had to undergo surgery to fix a drug-induced (not from finasteride) gynecomastia.

Something I've noticed and that is not specific to dermarolling in the world of hair loss is that people who start it all over the place never come back to tell us that it did jack shit for them. And all you've left with are that handful of shady cases where the guy was also taking finasteride and drinking gallons of minoxidil. And the fact that Somebody and a couple of other people are the only ones benefiting from this treatment is not normal. Some of them if not all of them tricked the general public, had a hair transplant and then tried to make money starting a BS hair loss YouTube channel.

I guess @That Guy never had any visible results with his dermarolling experiment either otherwise he'd be telling us here. So yeah, I'd just say, don't bother. As shookwun said on HairlossTalk, they tricked us with different angles, lightning and hair lengths in the studies. Hope really is a dangerous thing when it comes to male pattern baldness, I knew something was up based on the lack of before/after on the whole internet while it's now been 5 years that dermarolling sort of went mainstream in the hair loss community.

I'm glad I gave it a try, and I really hope that more and more people who try it get the word out.
You don’t think boosting of vellus hair suggests at least somewhat of a maintenance role?

I agree it’s pretty clear at this point it’s not a miracle worker(for most anyone but Somebody). I myself was one of the ones who got hopeful when the quasi vellus/terminal hairs developed very early on. However I do think boosting minoxidil absorption is a thing, as we see it’s usefulness also in the studies on minoxidil combined with tretinoin(Tret amplifies minoxidil abroption 3 fold) I guess it’s just a matter of determining if it’s boosting it enough to make it worth the trouble.

And we also need to consider if boosted vellus hairs=some level of maintenance is taking place. That alone might make it worth it even if there’s no significant cosmetic improvement

That Guy
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by That Guy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:42 am

Much as I began to suspect, it wasn't good for much beyond vellus hair.

Despite that, beyond the Dhurat study, there is more than enough information to know that neogenesis via wounds is still a worthwhile scientific pursuit, and I'm eager to see what Follica has done with it when the time comes. It's pretty clear though that dermarolling rarely produces cosmetic results of note. Either chemically, wounding method, both, and possibly other conditions as well: There has to be something more to it if the average person is to get meaningful results, and I doubt that whatever it is will be practical to do yourself.

For me, as 2019 approaches, when it comes to the tech and things like Tsuji's human trial coming up, I actually find I've become less interested in it. I'm at a point where I have every bit of confidence that Riken's technology will work out, but I'm more concerned with "how long to wait?" and "how much?"

Finasteride and Minoxidil have worked out for me swimmingly, and I don't need a huge improvement to the hairline to be back to being ostensibly a fullhead. So I think that next year, I'm just gonna bite the bullet, get the hairline lowered a bit via transplant and that should be fine for me. At that point, I'd probably be willing to wait years until something like Riken makes it over here and I could shell out some coin to make my hair "perfect" again. It feels more like an insurance policy, to be honest. Just don't see the point in waiting any longer.

To end on a more personal matter: Largely again thanks to the meds and knowing that a transplant is a good option at this point, I've become just less concerned with hairloss in general in recent times. Since I've noticed that it's not wreaked enough havoc on me yet so as to kill my chances with women and combined with forthcoming good things career-wise, I think the coming few years leading into my thirties are going to be more about finding one good woman to settle down with (I've no interest in "slaying" all the wimminz), continuing my work, and traveling to some of the places I've always wanted to go. Life doesn't seem as bleak as it did 2-3 years back.

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).

Post by rclark » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:37 pm

I've gotten small results on my vertex, but only there. Nowhere else.

The main difference is with dermarolling, and Follica, is there is medication involved, not just
Minoxidil, and we don't know how often they did it, and where they did it.

Follica isn't that exciting for me. At my age, I'm OK with a Norwood three, if I was a few
decades younger, I would get a hair transplant. But I'm too old for that now, and I think
I have more hair than guys my age who do suffer from balding. Most of them are between
a Norwood four and five.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:20 am

Another "it's legit", "not it's not!" war about dermarolling results on HairlossTalk:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... ss.117746/

Original thread on the tressless subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/comm ... dermanpen/

Even though (I think) I don't see any improvement from dermarolling, I figured I was just going to stick with it, at least until the end of the year.

Now people in this thread are talking about how you should stick with it for a year and no one ever got substantial results because they would give up after a few weeks.

Of course the main complain about those results is that the guy who posted them uses an affiliate link.

Ah what a pain it is to navigate through all this potential BS.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily

Post by supremegentleman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:42 pm

I am also considering dropping dermarolling. I think it made my hair worse. I had good results from Minoxidil alone,hair thickening up etc and now I feel like I am back at the starting point. My hair is thin, my left temple definitely got thinner. Overall it feels like everything is back to what it was before any of my treatments or even worse. I am really depressed right now. I literally can see through my temple hair up to like NW3 and I see that there is an island forming/a strip of hair in the middle. I am fucked. I take Finasteride, I spray Minoxidil and my hair is shit regardless. I'm contemplating giving up.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:51 pm

supremegentleman wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:42 pm
I am also considering dropping dermarolling. I think it made my hair worse. I had good results from Minoxidil alone,hair thickening up etc and now I feel like I am back at the starting point. My hair is thin, my left temple definitely got thinner. Overall it feels like everything is back to what it was before any of my treatments or even worse. I am really depressed right now. I literally can see through my temple hair up to like NW3 and I see that there is an island forming/a strip of hair in the middle. I am fucked. I take Finasteride, I spray Minoxidil and my hair is shit regardless. I'm contemplating giving up.
Whatever, I'd advise not to give up, especially if you're on here and hair loss is taking a toll on you.

More hair is always better and you can't be sure of what your treatments are doing. You could be in for a nasty surprise if you stop them.

If dermarolling seems to make your hair worse then it could be that you're damaging your hair with it. Make sure that you wet your hair before you roll. My hair is a very diffuse mess at the back and the dermarolling doesn't seem to destroy those weak-ass hair so. Maybe try to be gentler, or give up on it altogether, it's not like we know for a fact that dermarolling is effective.

But stick to your other treatments, even if it ends up only maintaining like a NW3.5, you'll be in much better position if you ever decide to go for a hair transplant or if new effective treatments finally come out.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily

Post by supremegentleman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:39 pm

Admin wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:51 pm
Whatever, I'd advise not to give up, especially if you're on here and hair loss is taking a toll on you.

More hair is always better and you can't be sure of what your treatments are doing. You could be in for a nasty surprise if you stop them.

If dermarolling seems to make your hair worse then it could be that you're damaging your hair with it. Make sure that you wet your hair before you roll. My hair is a very diffuse mess at the back and the dermarolling doesn't seem to destroy those weak-ass hair so. Maybe try to be gentler, or give up on it altogether, it's not like we know for a fact that dermarolling is effective.

But stick to your other treatments, even if it ends up only maintaining like a NW3.5, you'll be in much better position if you ever decide to go for a hair transplant or if new effective treatments finally come out.
I guess for now I will stick with it and try to be gentle when dermarolling. We need more hair transplant threads discussing doctors etc. I had a haircut today and my hair looks decent now. I seen some doctors on realself saying that dermarolling doesnt work for hair loss.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:15 pm

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... st-1724525

The rapidity at which people on HairlossTalk and reddit jumped on this is not surprising.

If I could still post on those forums (yes I've been banned from both :p), I'd probably be attacked from all sides for being negative.

Who knows, maybe this time it will be different and in a few months, we'll have a string of incredible results.

As I've said in another thread, I'm not holding my breath.

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by rclark » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:16 pm

The only medication that is coming out now is Brotzu's solution.

Follica still doesn't have anything public out at the moment, so it might be shit.

Some people have told me I can get an "inch" back on my hairline, which probably isn't going
to happen.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Regimen: big 3, microneedling for absorption

Post by koolaidshade » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:02 pm

rclark wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:16 pm
The only medication that is coming out now is Brotzu's solution.

Follica still doesn't have anything public out at the moment, so it might be shit.

Some people have told me I can get an "inch" back on my hairline, which probably isn't going
to happen.
now who told you that? an inch, hell, even a quarter inch, can make a big difference in terms of aesthetics/youth

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by rclark » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:40 am

koolaidshade wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:02 pm
now who told you that? an inch, hell, even a quarter inch, can make a big difference in terms of aesthetics/youth
The people that told me that were taking other medications, so it might just
be the medications they took regrew their hair.

That said, they definitely did have good hairlines, but they were becoming
diffuse on top. So, there could be some truth in it. (People are unlikely to
do it on top, because of hair pulling baldness).

I think there's an age where "follicle death" is permanent.

On the other hand, it seems too good to be true.

The thing with Duhrat's study, is that all men in the control group were also
on Finasteride and Minoxidil, so it is possible that those two medications regrew
their hair.

A lot of people miss scalp areas, so unfortunately, with all topical medications
that I'm on, dermarolling is a permanent part of my routine (and they also miss
certain areas (back of vertex), which become bald. I've seen this with my
own baldness (I missed areas on my vertex, and over focused on my hairline).