Dermarolling and using current treatments to enhance regrowth

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2.5

Re: Dermarolling and using current treatments to enhance regrowth

Post by That Guy » 7 months ago

shadylane wrote:
7 months ago
think the guy is nuts to be honest.
@nameless confirmed

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 6 months ago

Interesting new article. Here's one paragraph about dermarolling (that's all there was on that topic).

A 12-week study was conducted to compare weekly microneedling in conjunction with minoxidil 5% solution with minoxidil 5% solution alone. Minoxidil was applied twice daily in both cohorts of 50 men each. In the microneedling group, minoxidil was applied 24 hours after the microneedling session since the session produced mild erythema in the area in which it was performed. One of the study endpoints was hair count in a predefined, 1 cm–diameter area at the end of 12 weeks. Patients in the treatment group showed a hair count of 91.4 hairs per cm2 compared with 22.2 hairs per cm2 in the control group (P = .039). Patients reported no adverse effects, and results were sustained for 8 months following treatment.

Here's the final result, not so long lasting

Results were sustained 8 months after treatment"

Here's the link:

https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/tr ... c-alopecia

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).

Post by rclark » 5 months ago

Today my long awaited derma stamp (ordered in February on Amazon) has finally come in.

It definitely doesn't look as long as my 1.5 mm dermaroller. The box has different millimeter lengths,
and an external blue stamp has been put on the 1.5mm circle on the box.

That said, I am growing my hair longer, and I'm going to use this, until my scalp bleeds. I have not had any hair loss
really penetrating deep in my scalp, and even causing some scabs.

Any hair growth seen and I will post updates.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 5 months ago

How are you guys dermastamping your scalp?

Personally, I have this dermastamp that has like I don't know X amount of needles that are 1.5 mm long. However, I lightly stamp my scalp around 5 times in an area before i move onto the next. Almost a year ago, I calculated that a certain number of perforations would be formed in a square inch assuming that i would not do the exact perforations 5 times in a selected area (or square inch), since human hands tend to shake a bit. I do not bleed at all when doing this.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 5 months ago

koolaidshade wrote:
5 months ago
How are you guys dermastamping your scalp?

Personally, I have this dermastamp that has like I don't know X amount of needles that are 1.5 mm long. However, I lightly stamp my scalp around 5 times in an area before i move onto the next. Almost a year ago, I calculated that a certain number of perforations would be formed in a square inch assuming that i would not do the exact perforations 5 times in a selected area (or square inch), since human hands tend to shake a bit. I do not bleed at all when doing this.
I haven't dermastamped in a couple weeks, and to be honest I'm probably going to stop for now

I'm tired of spending time and money on stuff that "might" be helping

For now I'm just sticking to dutasteride and the good old kirkland minoxidil solution, with nizoral a few times a week. And truth be told I'm only continuing with the nizoral because it keeps my scalp from flaking from the minoxidil. I've become pretty skeptical that nizoral actually does anything directly for male pattern baldness

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

kj6723 wrote:
5 months ago
I haven't dermastamped in a couple weeks, and to be honest I'm probably going to stop for now

I'm tired of spending time and money on stuff that "might" be helping

For now I'm just sticking to dutasteride and the good old kirkland minoxidil solution, with nizoral a few times a week. And truth be told I'm only continuing with the nizoral because it keeps my scalp from flaking from the minoxidil. I've become pretty skeptical that nizoral actually does anything directly for male pattern baldness
hmm alright. dermastamping is pretty cheap, since you've already bought the stamp you only pay a dollar for a bottle of isopropyl alcohol every week or 2.

dont stop using nizoral though. its got many benefits, such as being anti fungal and reducing some inflammation. also, it isnt pumped with fragrance or other unnecessary filler

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by rclark » 5 months ago

The worst case dermastamping won't work. I just mine with hot water for 30 seconds.

It should be noted I have sixteen to twenty terminal hairs on my right temple only. This was regrowth during winter, so I expect to see even more in the Spring, when it is warmer.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

koolaidshade wrote:
5 months ago
hmm alright. dermastamping is pretty cheap, since you've already bought the stamp you only pay a dollar for a bottle of isopropyl alcohol every week or 2.

dont stop using nizoral though. its got many benefits, such as being anti fungal and reducing some inflammation. also, it isnt pumped with fragrance or other unnecessary filler
It is definitely inexpensive. There is also at least some clinical data to support it being of benefit, although to my knowledge not nearly in the range of extensive study that has been done on finasteride and minoxidil. And the overall collective anecdotal reports of any improvement from dermarolling being cosmetically relevant are definitely lacking

I'm not ruling it out entirely. at the moment I just don't know if it's worth bothering with for someone responding positively to the conventional meds for simple reasons of time investment/rewards. If the new terminal hair growth I've been getting at my hair line the last 6 months maxes out or falls out, I can always add the dermastamp back in later

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

kj6723 wrote:
5 months ago
It is definitely inexpensive. There is also at least some clinical data to support it being of benefit, although to my knowledge not nearly in the range of extensive study that has been done on finasteride and minoxidil. And the overall collective anecdotal reports of any improvement from dermarolling being cosmetically relevant are definitely lacking

I'm not ruling it out entirely. at the moment I just don't know if it's worth bothering with for someone responding positively to the conventional meds for simple reasons of time investment/rewards. If the new terminal hair growth I've been getting at my hair line the last 6 months maxes out or falls out, I can always add the dermastamp back in later
Stamping my whole scalp takes me less than 90 seconds, and the rubbing alcohol + hand soap used for cleaning are very cheap. i'd say its an alright investment

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

koolaidshade wrote:
5 months ago
Stamping my whole scalp takes me less than 90 seconds, and the rubbing alcohol + hand soap used for cleaning are very cheap. i'd say its an alright investment
It's possible I'm being somewhat lazy

But just using dutasteride and minoxidil is so easy. 20 seconds in the morning popping a capsule and 90 seconds at night after i shower applying minoxidil(and occasionally in the morning on a day off). Very minimally invasive on my quality of life. And I can use these 2 products with confidence knowing they work and are not a waste of my time

With the stamp, I have to remember to soak it in the alcohol on the days I'm using it, and then there's just other random shit, like I get paranoid if I'm working out the next day that sweating into the wounds will make me break out or something. And all that and unlike the dutasteride and minoxidil, I can't even be sure it's doing anything worthwhile

Question. What's your sequencing when you stamp? Do you do it before/after you shower/wash your scalp? Do you apply minoxidil right after or skip the minoxidil application? Everyone seems to have different ideas about what's best with this

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

kj6723 wrote:
5 months ago
It's possible I'm being somewhat lazy

But just using dutasteride and minoxidil is so easy. 20 seconds in the morning popping a capsule and 90 seconds at night after i shower applying minoxidil(and occasionally in the morning on a day off). Very minimally invasive on my quality of life. And I can use these 2 products with confidence knowing they work and are not a waste of my time

With the stamp, I have to remember to soak it in the alcohol on the days I'm using it, and then there's just other random shit, like I get paranoid if I'm working out the next day that sweating into the wounds will make me break out or something. And all that and unlike the dutasteride and minoxidil, I can't even be sure it's doing anything worthwhile

Question. What's your sequencing when you stamp? Do you do it before/after you shower/wash your scalp? Do you apply minoxidil right after or skip the minoxidil application? Everyone seems to have different ideas about what's best with this
lately i've been doing it every other night, after i shower and wash/condition my hair. I apply minoxidil after. I've been pretty lazy with this because, like you said, i'd have to remember to soak it in alcohol and worry about cleaning/setup. I'm probably just gonna transition back to dermastamping once a week, but fully with 1.5mm instead of lightly for absorption.

just lol if you fully rely on microneedling for maintenance/growht though

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by kj6723 » 3 months ago

So I've continued to sprout new terminal hairs at the hair line since quitting the dermastamp. I think it's safe to say for me the dermaroll/stamp doesn't offer any meaningful benefit beyond what I already get from conventional treatments.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by rclark » 3 months ago

For people who have large bald areas, for long periods of time, I don't think it's a waste of time.

That said, I feel that anti androgen medications offer a much greater benefit for hair density. This
is especially true for people in their twenties, who are just noticing hair loss on their scalp.

It's a waste of time to completely rely on Minoxidil, and dermarolling, to a much lesser extent. If Dermarolling
really worked, people would have known this for centuries, way before hairloss medications
were made.

It's not something that the "average" person couldn't figure out on their own.

All these hairloss companies always make up bullshit, because they want money.