FUE vs. FUT Hair Transplant - What You NEED to Know

Discuss current and future hair loss solutions: medication, hair transplants, concealers, hair loss research etc.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling 1x a week

Re: FUE vs. FUT Hair Transplant - What You NEED to Know

Post by Admin » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:42 pm

supremegentleman wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:30 pm
@Admin can you list all surgeries you had done? It seems like you had a few from your writing. How do you get money to fund them? Sorry for going off topic. You are fascinating to me. In a good way. I was thinking of getting laser eye surgery too.
The first one was the PRK (myopia surgery) at the age of 21, then it was sugery to fix my drug-induced gynecomastia (not from finasteride but abilify) at the age of 22, then I had my first FUE hair transplant at the age of 24, my second hair transplant at the age of 28 and I'll have my last hair transplant in February 2019.

The hair transplants have been paid by me and my mother (half-half), I started making money from the age of 16 through various jobs (equivalent of McDonald's, displaying the score at football games), but mainly fixing computer and making websites so I could have funded all of it, but my mom wanted to be nice, especially after she saw what those afflictions had done to me.

I also recently "froze" my belly fat twice and my double chin. It's called cryolipolysis, it worked very were and I now have a flat belly if I get to 15% body fat. Kind of a miracle for me, especially with such a non-invasive procedure.

If you want to know the cost of everything:

PRK surgery: 2900€
First FUE: 4500€
Second FUE: 4000€
Gynecomastia surgery: 0€
Cryolipolisis procedures: 1000€
Third FUE: going to be around 2000€

I also had a mold made to whiten my teeth every couple of years, which costed 400€.

Yeah I think it's a great way to invest your money, as long as you go for safe procedures and choose reliable surgeons. I don't regret any of them and it's obvious that my current life would be quite different if I hadn't had those procedures.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

Hanginginthewire
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Propecia

Post by Hanginginthewire » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:03 am

Another result that hardly seems worth it.

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/ ... ent-484223

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:14 am

Hanginginthewire wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:03 am
Another result that hardly seems worth it.

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/ ... ent-484223
1. He's 65 years old, age is one of the most important factors (with smoking) to determine the outcome of a hair transplant

2. No way he has 6500 grafts on his head, they didn't all grow, for reason 1. mainly

3. Again, he's 65, hair is expected to be thinner at that age

4. Do not make the mistake to think that this case is representative of hair transplant results in general. With top surgeons, it's the exception, not the rule

5. Some hair is always worth it, and always better than no hair, and that head of hair actually does not look out of place on a 65 year old
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

Hanginginthewire
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by Hanginginthewire » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Admin wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:14 am
1. He's 65 years old, age is one of the most important factors (with smoking) to determine the outcome of a hair transplant

2. No way he has 6500 grafts on his head, they didn't all grow, for reason 1. mainly

3. Again, he's 65, hair is expected to be thinner at that age

4. Do not make the mistake that this case is representative of hair transplant results in general. With top surgeons, it's the exception, not the rule

5. Some hair is always worth it, and always better than no hair, and that head of hair actually does not look out of place on a 65 year old
Thanks. Yesterday I was having (no hyperbole) a straight up panic attack over my hair loss. Not knowing what to do, not knowing a way forward. It’s making me crazy.

With regard to FUE - what is it going to look like if you have to abandon ship and buzz/shave down anyway? I’m less concerned about white dots as I am about unusual patterns of hair (the mixture of native and transplanted hairs) looking extremely odd up top. Also I fear my retrograde makes transplanting impossible.

I’m just so lost dealing with this. It’s been kicking my ass in earnest for like three years now. To the point where - as I said - I had a legit panic attack yesterday. Full on. I don’t know who to trust though. I can’t even determine what my emerging Norwood is. I’ve noticed this seems to be a thing with advanced Norwoods - people will put 5-slash-6, cause it’s hard to say which it’s gonna be. Anyway yeah, what are some worse case scenarios of trying FUE - besides a depleted wallet?

@Admin I recall buckthorn being ADAMANT that diffuse thinners (which I am) should NOT get a hair transplant. That it will basically destroy your life. Thoughts? Obviously you don’t agree but why would he say this? Can it turn out THAT badly? Seems so for him.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:47 pm

Hanginginthewire wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:38 pm
Thanks. Yesterday I was having (no hyperbole) a straight up panic attack over my hair loss. Not knowing what to do, not knowing a way forward. It’s making me crazy.

With regard to FUE - what is it going to look like if you have to abandon ship and buzz/shave down anyway? I’m less concerned about white dots as I am about unusual patterns of hair (the mixture of native and transplanted hairs) looking extremely odd up top. Also I fear my retrograde makes transplanting impossible.

I’m just so lost dealing with this. It’s been kicking my ass in earnest for like three years now. To the point where - as I said - I had a legit panic attack yesterday. Full on. I don’t know who to trust though. I can’t even determine what my emerging Norwood is. I’ve noticed this seems to be a thing with advanced Norwoods - people will put 5-slash-6, cause it’s hard to say which it’s gonna be. Anyway yeah, what are some worse case scenarios of trying FUE - besides a depleted wallet?
I understand, I've been there, full-on panic attacks because I felt my future was going to be horrible. I was wrong through, even bald, you get used to it and it doesn't make your life hell on earth if you don't let it.

That said, if you have panic attacks over your hair loss, don't think for one second that you're going to ever be able to brush it off or get over it. I also knew this about myself. People would tell me "just become more confident, extroverted, be the life of the party and no one will care about your lack of hair!". Unfortunately, this wasn't never going to be me. I'd always be the quiet guy who had to rely on his appearance to make a good impression, no way I would be able to reinvent myself, no one can do that.

Worst case scenario, you buzz it down and it won't look like shit if you had your procedure done with a top surgeon who uses a 0.75mm punch (like De Reys). It sounds to me that it would not be the worst case scenario for you though, the worst case scenario seems to be doing nothing, or at this moment, planning to do nothing. You need a defined goal if you're going to get out of this mess, even if that just means making (online) appointments with top surgeons.

So at least you will know if you should truly give up on your hopes of getting a hair transplant. It's very unlikely though, even with the retrogade alopecia. It's not a disqualifying factor and I don't think that if you went to see Dr. Bisanga for example, he'd tell you that you're one of the worst cases of hair loss at a young age that he had ever seen. Yep, that's what I got :). I was also told that hair transplants would never work for me and that I should just shave my head and move on (which was already done).

Again, my hair transplants (especially the first one were a leap of faith), it wouldn't have been as fun and daring if there was no possibility for failure. I decided to go through with it because the alternative (remaining bald) would just never be acceptable for me.
Hanginginthewire wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:38 pm
@Admin I recall buckthorn being ADAMANT that diffuse thinners (which I am) should NOT get a hair transplant. That it will basically destroy your life. Thoughts? Obviously you don’t agree but why would he say this? Can it turn out THAT badly? Seems so for him.
Buckthorn's a bozo. Lol OK, let me refine (sorry buck, if you ever read this, you know I love you man :p). I don't know if you had noticed but buckthorn could be a bit overly dramatic sometimes, not to mention the moments he started losing his mind over a statement that was made. He was suffering from diffuse hair loss (just like me) and had a FUT with Dr. Joe Schmuck that left him scarred and with bad coverage.

I understand why he would lash out and pour out his resentment sometimes. But then again, it's your responsibility to go for a top surgeon and not to go for FUT, especially if you're a diffuse thinner. You want to use the latest technologies and to leave a way out (buzzing your hair) because you might need one someday.

I'd also say that you shouldn't confuse DPA (diffuse patterned alopecia) and DUPA (diffused unpatterned alopecia), the first category can get a hair transplant just fine, the second one is screwed. I've seen many DPA sufferers trying hard to convince themselves that they had DUPA, probably to get that death sentence so they could just keep whining forever. I know I felt this way, it's easy to think you have DUPA when you buzz your hair short.

Even De Reys got tricked to an extent, but now that he's seen my donor fully grown out (even after 4024 grafts extracted), he's like: "hey I can get 1000+ grafts for your crown if you want!".

Well, we'll see. Remember that getting into hair transplant is almost never a one-stop journey.

Hanginginthewire
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by Hanginginthewire » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:39 pm

Admin wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:47 pm
I understand, I've been there, full-on panic attacks because I felt my future was going to be horrible. I was wrong through, even bald, you get used to it and it doesn't make your life hell on earth if you don't let it.

That said, if you have panic attacks over your hair loss, don't think for one second that you're going to ever be able to brush it off or get over it. I also knew this about myself. People would tell me "just become more confident, extroverted, be the life of the party and no one will care about your lack of hair!". Unfortunately, this wasn't never going to be me. I'd always be the quiet guy who had to rely on his appearance to make a good impression, no way I would be able to reinvent myself, no one can do that.

Worst case scenario, you buzz it down and it won't look like shit if you had your procedure done with a top surgeon who uses a 0.75mm punch (like De Reys). It sounds to me that it would not be the worst case scenario for you though, the worst case scenario seems to be doing nothing, or at this moment, planning to do nothing. You need a defined goal if you're going to get out of this mess, even if that just means making (online) appointments with top surgeons.

So at least you will know if you should truly give up on your hopes of getting a hair transplant. It's very unlikely though, even with the retrogade alopecia. It's not a disqualifying factor and I don't think that if you went to see Dr. Bisanga for example, he'd tell you that you're one of the worst cases of hair loss at a young age that he had ever seen. Yep, that's what I got :). I was also told that hair transplants would never work for me and that I should just shave my head and move on (which was already done).

Again, my hair transplants (especially the first one were a leap of faith), it wouldn't have been as fun and daring if there was no possibility for failure. I decided to go through with it because the alternative (remaining bald) would just never be acceptable for me.

Buckthorn's a bozo. Lol OK, let me refine (sorry buck, if you ever read this, you know I love you man :p). I don't know if you had noticed but buckthorn could be a bit overly dramatic sometimes, not to mention the moments he started losing his mind over a statement that was made. He was suffering from diffuse hair loss (just like me) and had a FUT with Dr. Joe Schmuck that left him scarred and with bad coverage.

I understand why he would lash out and pour out his resentment sometimes. But then again, it's your responsibility to go for a top surgeon and not to go for FUT, especially if you're a diffuse thinner. You want to use the latest technologies and to leave a way out (buzzing your hair) because you might need one someday.

I'd also say that you shouldn't confuse DPA (diffuse patterned alopecia) and DUPA (diffused unpatterned alopecia), the first category can get a hair transplant just fine, the second one is screwed. I've seen many DPA sufferers trying hard to convince themselves that they had DUPA, probably to get that death sentence so they could just keep whining forever. I know I felt this way, it's easy to think you have DUPA when you buzz your hair short.

Even De Reys got tricked to an extent, but now that he's seen my donor fully grown out (even after 4024 grafts extracted), he's like: "hey I can get 1000+ grafts for your crown if you want!".

Well, we'll see. Remember that getting into hair transplant is almost never a one-stop journey.
Thanks again. I definitely have DPA, not DUPA. But because I do still have quite a bit of hair, I can’t tell exactly where the pattern begins and ends. How far my sides and crown dip, for instance.

I met in person with two reputable surgeons, one acted like going ahead with a transplant was a no-brained, the other expressed a tiny bit of reserve due to my family history. But maybe they just want to get you in the chair and get paid. I like your attitude though, it’s good to see it as a challenging adventure. Otherwise you feel victimized af dealing with this.

Another question for you- what do you think about doing FUE into a linear scar to mask it? I know that David Dimuzios doctor touts this as an insurance when going FUT.

Hanginginthewire
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by Hanginginthewire » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Another depressing result. Don’t understand.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Hanginginthewire wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:50 pm
Another depressing result. Don’t understand.

Is that a top clinic? No.

Was the hair transplant performed by a top surgeon? No.

Is the guy middle-aged? Yes

Did he have very extensive hair loss? Yes (NW6)

Was the amount of grafts transplanted enough? We can't even know since those bozo's at 'Natural hair transplant clinic' (lol even the name sounds like something of a 80's TV commercial) didn't even bother to give that crucial information.

All this taken into account, the guy could have ended up much worse off. Depressing result indeed, but I understand why.

Hanginginthewire
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by Hanginginthewire » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:13 pm

Admin wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:03 pm
Is that a top clinic? No.

Was the hair transplant performed by a top surgeon? No.

Is the guy middle-aged? Yes

Did he have very extensive hair loss? Yes (NW6)

Was the amount of grafts transplanted enough? We can't even know since those bozo's at 'Natural hair transplant clinic' (lol even the name sounds like something of a 80's TV commercial) didn't even bother to give that crucial information.

All this taken into account, the guy could have ended up much worse off. Depressing result indeed, but I understand why.
I see what you are saying but I feel like those factors can’t explain everything. You were NW6 and your result was way better. Waaaaay better. I don’t see how being middle aged can make THAT much of a difference. 60s and 70s is one thing - by then senile alopecia has kicked in. But 40s and 50s your hair caliber should still be okay. Huebner seems shady but I didn’t think he was a crap surgeon. I agree I was frustrated trying to see how many grafts it was. Maybe it was a ridiculously low number, that’s true.

I don’t mean to spam your forum I just get soooooo down when I see shit like this. I want to believe that 3 FUEs could give most everyone a decent result. And when I see these poor results I feel like all hope is lost. There doesn’t seem to be any consistency. So how can one move forward?

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:30 pm

Hanginginthewire wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:13 pm
I see what you are saying but I feel like those factors can’t explain everything. You were NW6 and your result was way better. Waaaaay better. I don’t see how being middle aged can make THAT much of a difference. 60s and 70s is one thing - by then senile alopecia has kicked in. But 40s and 50s your hair caliber should still be okay. Huebner seems shady but I didn’t think he was a crap surgeon. I agree I was frustrated trying to see how many grafts it was. Maybe it was a ridiculously low number, that’s true.

I don’t mean to spam your forum I just get soooooo down when I see shit like this. I want to believe that 3 FUEs could give most everyone a decent result. And when I see these poor results I feel like all hope is lost. There doesn’t seem to be any consistency. So how can one move forward?
It's not only the number of grafts (which must be low here), it's also the surgeon's skills. Designing and placing the grafts correctly as to maximize coverage, that's an art and very few surgeons in the world have mastered it. Bisanga, De Reys and Koray Erdogan come to mind. That surgeon will never be anywhere near their level.

Hanginginthewire
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by Hanginginthewire » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:34 pm

Admin wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:30 pm
It's not only the number of grafts (which must be low here), it's also the surgeon's skills. Designing and placing the grafts correctly as to maximize coverage, that's an art and very few surgeons in the world have mastered it. Bisanga, De Reys and Koray Erdogan come to mind. That surgeon will never be anywhere near their level.
Can we make a comparison with https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/threads/2 ... 171-grafts this result? This second guy is younger and still has a lot of (weak, miniaturized) hair but is that what makes the difference?

@JeanLucBB do you have some thoughts? Would really appreciate your input?

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Great video showing FUE hair transplant procedure:

Good video to educate yourself how a professional procedure should look like or learn some technical aspects of a good hair transplant. Can @Admin and @JasonStatham describe how did their procedure look like?