How long do you think finasteride maintains for ?

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
Baldingat20
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Propecia

How long do you think finasteride maintains for ?

Post by Baldingat20 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:38 pm

I just wanted to get everyone’s opinion on how long finasteride maintains for on average. I know this question has been asked a lot but I’ve seen people saying anything from 2 years to 20+ years. We can’t really know because it’s only been out since the late 90s, but I know there was some study where 80% of men were above baseline after 10 years.

If you start finasteride early enough in the balding process do you think there is a good chance of keeping your hair for 20 years ? Or does it slowly lose effectiveness. Also I am wondering if people think that switching to dutasteride when finasteride loses effectiveness would work in keeping hair for longer ?

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling 1x a week

Re: How long do you think finasteride maintains for ?

Post by Admin » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:53 pm

I'll raise the question few people who use the drug want to contemplate.

We know how unpredictable genetics can be, especially when it comes to hair loss, and more importantly, we don't have a way of knowing what would have happened if someone hadn't taken finasteride, except for the twin studies.

And when you actually look at those, you easily notice that the changes are not that impressive, even with something more potent like dutasteride. 10 years later, one brother is NW3.5 and the other is NW2.

There's no doubt that finasteride slows down hair loss, but to me, the results have never been that impressive and I think we give the drug too much credit. Hair transplants surgeons are especially guilty of that, all of a sudden, the drug stops hair loss forever and if you can get on it, you're set for life after getting a hair transplant.

If you want a clear-cut answer to your question, I guess it would be this as far as I can tell: if you keep your hair for 20 years using only finasteride, you would have kept it even without it or at worst lost one Norwood, your hair loss was the most common form of hair loss. If not, you were one of the unlucky few with true aggressive baldness that have given us the Andre Agassi and the Jason Statham of this world, and finasteride would never have been enough, because as I've said, I believe its effectiveness is way overstated.

Moral of the story: we should not rely on finasteride alone, throw everything that's affordable and reliable at hair loss if you want more peace of mind. And to conclude with another argument I often mention: I know way too many people whose hair loss is so slow you'd believe they're on finasteride, but no, it's just their hair loss natural pace, would they jump on it, they'd claim that it was the drug doing all the work.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

Baldingat20
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by Baldingat20 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:44 pm

But what else is there really in the way of preventing hairloss . I’m already on the big 3 so I don't know what else to do but hope finasteride is effective.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:01 pm

Baldingat20 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:44 pm
But what else is there really in the way of preventing hairloss . I’m already on the big 3 so I don't know what else to do but hope finasteride is effective.
It is your best and safest (proven) bet.

Other than that, I think every hair loss sufferer no matter the severity of their hair loss should use 5% minoxidil.

After that, there's not much more you can do that's going to be more effective than that combo.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

Baldingat20
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by Baldingat20 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:58 pm

It sucks you don’t think finasteride is to effective. Whenever I see some people saying it can maintain for life that gives me peace of mind . Based on genetics alone I should be nw7 by 30 so I don’t have much hope of “slow” balding unless finasteride is effective

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:23 pm

ashton kutcher maintained his hair for 12 years on dutasteride.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:24 am

supremegentleman wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:23 pm
Did he go off it?

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:43 am

Hairblues wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:24 am
Did he go off it?
Recently.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:00 am

Hairblues wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:24 am
Did he go off it?
3 years ago. He started going bald when he was 25

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:00 am

An actor I know who got hair transplant (no one famous) packed the front and got a piece behind that. And it looks really good. You can’t tell. He uses same hair people for years. I suspect a big name actor I’m not naming gave him the contact and that many of them use them. Because it makes sense if you look at a lot of actors that have that super dense hair line.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:27 am

supremegentleman wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:23 pm
Someone hasn't read and processed my reply to this thread.

So I guess I was right, people have a very hard time even considering this aspect of finasteride.

I don't believe Ashton Kutcher was ever balding that badly, he just developed a mature hair line and overreacted.

We have a thread over his interview with Conan here and I thought he look like a madman showing his perfect hair line and saying:

"See? Muh balding!"

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23

The kind of video that will make people like me or @Exodus go like:

That Guy
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by That Guy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:19 am

Admin wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:53 pm
I'll raise the question few people who use the drug want to contemplate.

We know how unpredictable genetics can be, especially when it comes to hair loss, and more importantly, we don't have a way of knowing what would have happened if someone hadn't taken finasteride, except for the twin studies.

And when you actually look at those, you easily notice that the changes are not that impressive, even with something more potent like dutasteride. 10 years later, one brother is NW3.5 and the other is NW2.
Ehhh

We can still make perfectly reasonable predictions. Also, your example of brothers where one winds up NW2 vs 3.5 after ten years is honestly a pretty substantial difference.

NW2 is hardly even balding for most men. NW 3.5 stands on the brink of being a "bald" guy who should shave it, to most people. You don't need to lose a lot before it starts wreaking cosmetic hell.

My hair was becoming a diffusing rat's nest and lost the NW1 hairline to my current 2.5 within just over a year. With the big 3, I'm currently back to where I was (save for the hairline) before I got on them. It's pretty clear to me that, at that rate, I honestly suspect I'd be really badly diffused and probably a NW4 hairline. No bullshit; I really think that's what would've happened.

There are people like occulus who got on the drug at like 19 with diffuse loss, and have maintained that hair for 20 years. I really doubt that someone with hairloss that young would've maintained without it. Not impossible, but real unlikely. How many more young NWs who didn't take finasteride have wound up bald by 27?

Lastly, from a scientific point: We're surely all aware of all the studies that have been done both in vivo and vitro of DHT's marked effect on hair. The studies on whatever group it was who didn't go bald that lead to the very creation of finasteride. The studies in the 50s of injecting eunuchs with T, etc.

A lot of people seem to assume that when/if finasteride stops working, it must be because "genetics won out", and maybe so; the truth is, though — the jury is still, and may always be, out on whether or not that's really the case. It could be that changes in the individuals system with age, unrelated to their androgenetic alopecia could cause the meds to lose their effect; brain plasticity could be a big one given that we're specifically inhibiting a brain chemical here, or maybe for individuals for whom it stops working it was actually never working to begin with, etc. There are way too many variables, none of which are confirmed, to be sure.

One thing does appear to be certain though: Most people who wind up taking it do wind up in better shape, for longer periods of time, than those who don't — I just wish I'd known about it at NW1.

Baldingat20
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by Baldingat20 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:27 pm

That Guy wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:19 am
Ehhh

We can still make perfectly reasonable predictions. Also, your example of brothers where one winds up NW2 vs 3.5 after ten years is honestly a pretty substantial difference.

NW2 is hardly even balding for most men. NW 3.5 stands on the brink of being a "bald" guy who should shave it, to most people. You don't need to lose a lot before it starts wreaking cosmetic hell.

My hair was becoming a diffusing rat's nest and lost the NW1 hairline to my current 2.5 within just over a year. With the big 3, I'm currently back to where I was (save for the hairline) before I got on them. It's pretty clear to me that, at that rate, I honestly suspect I'd be really badly diffused and probably a NW4 hairline. No bullshit; I really think that's what would've happened.

There are people like occulus who got on the drug at like 19 with diffuse loss, and have maintained that hair for 20 years. I really doubt that someone with hairloss that young would've maintained without it. Not impossible, but real unlikely. How many more young NWs who didn't take finasteride have wound up bald by 27?

Lastly, from a scientific point: We're surely all aware of all the studies that have been done both in vivo and vitro of DHT's marked effect on hair. The studies on whatever group it was who didn't go bald that lead to the very creation of finasteride. The studies in the 50s of injecting eunuchs with T, etc.

A lot of people seem to assume that when/if finasteride stops working, it must be because "genetics won out", and maybe so; the truth is, though — the jury is still, and may always be, out on whether or not that's really the case. It could be that changes in the individuals system with age, unrelated to their androgenetic alopecia could cause the meds to lose their effect; brain plasticity could be a big one given that we're specifically inhibiting a brain chemical here, or maybe for individuals for whom it stops working it was actually never working to begin with, etc. There are way too many variables, none of which are confirmed, to be sure.

One thing does appear to be certain though: Most people who wind up taking it do wind up in better shape, for longer periods of time, than those who don't — I just wish I'd known about it at NW1.
This response will help me sleep at night

Let’s hope your right man ..

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:41 pm

Admin wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:53 pm
Hair transplants surgeons are especially guilty of that, all of a sudden, the drug stops hair loss forever and if you can get on it, you're set for life after getting a hair transplant.
Very few hair transplant surgeons tell their patients that with Finasteride and some Grafts, they are set for life. Its almost always in clinics which are very shady from the get-go. Almost all surgeons I see even on youtube, are very open with Finasteride and recommend it, but tell you that it won't suddenly stop hair loss and that a long-term plan is necessary.

Ashton Kutcher I agree does look like he has a bit of BDD but since he isn't a good actor and makes more of a living with his looks, I would have BDD as well. So I would say Ashton Kutcher could have been balding the same with or without medication he is just maturing and his BDD kicks in.

I do see a lot of hair transplant cases that people do not took Finasteride and end up with shitty hair after 5-10 years far more than from people that took Finasteride.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:51 pm

JasonStatham wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:41 pm
Very few hair transplant surgeons tell their patients that with Finasteride and some Grafts, they are set for life. Its almost always in clinics which are very shady from the get-go. Almost all surgeons I see even on youtube, are very open with Finasteride and recommend it, but tell you that it won't suddenly stop hair loss and that a long-term plan is necessary.

Ashton Kutcher I agree does look like he has a bit of BDD (Body Dysmorphic Disorder) but since he isn't a good actor and makes more of a living with his looks, I would have BDD (Body Dysmorphic Disorder) as well. So I would say Ashton Kutcher could have been balding the same with or without medication he is just maturing and his BDD (Body Dysmorphic Disorder) kicks in.

I do see a lot of hair transplant cases that people do not took Finasteride and end up with shitty hair after 5-10 years far more than from people that took Finasteride.
Those statements were all over the place when I was researching hair transplants before I had my first FUE.

People and surgeons would always tell me: "you should take finasteride if you want to stop your hair loss"

My first reaction was always like "did they find the cure for hair loss while I was in the toilet?! What do you mean 'stop'?!"

I'm also particularly resentful about the claim that you need finasteride if you're going to go the hair transplant route.

I've even been told by Bisanga that no ethical surgeon would operate on me and that I should just buy myself a nice wig.

I kept telling him that I wouldn't mind a bald or still visibly thinning crown but he wouldn't hear it, and if all surgeons had thought that, I'd still be "Fred? Oh yeah the bald guy!"

Anyway, finasteride is a good and safe treatment for hair loss but its benefits shouldn't be blown out of proportion, it's not a cure, even combined with a hair transplant.

Wolf 'I keep contradicting myself' Pack also likes to spread this idea that finasteride + hair transplants = the cure, pointing to himself as an example.

And then he creates a thread saying that he needs another hair transplant because he noticed some diffuse thinning: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... er.108992/

You should never think you're done when it comes to hair loss, until we have way better treatments that nuke the problem in the same way that you can whiten your teeth in a week, it will be a life-long battle.