Dutasteride, loading phase or nah?

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: dutasteride, minoxidil, nizoral

Post by kj6723 » 1 year ago

koolaidshade wrote:
1 year ago
Think you could post progress pics like you did on the other forum? If not, can you pm?
Here's the top and then the temple angles exposed. I’d say I’m like a NW2 on one side, NW1.5 on the other.

Then some pics of how I wear it in everyday life:

The pictures were removed by request of the user.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 1 year ago

SLAYER

kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

koolaidshade wrote:
1 year ago
SLAYER
In my dreams

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: nothing

Post by supremegentleman » 1 year ago

supremegentleman wrote:
1 year ago
How long should the loading phase be? And the transition period? Anyone has any sources how long it takes for Dutasteride to build up in body and start working?
bump, kj answer please

kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

supremegentleman wrote:
1 year ago
bump, kj answer please
I took 1.5mg for a month, then 1mg for a month, now bumping down to .5mg. I don’t have any articles or anything on hand at the moment to support this, I basically just followed what I knew @Rudiger had done

kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

New terminal hairs are getting longer so here’s a close up where you can actually see them:

The picture was removed by request of the author.

Again this is after more than 2.5 years of finasteride and minoxidil(+dermaroll/stamp for a while), so I can’t say for sure if it has anything to do with adding dutasteride, or if it’s just the result of prolonged miniaturization reversal

Either way so far I am enjoying the dutasteride experience. Lots of peace of mind being on an anti-male pattern baldness drug this powerful. Still getting morning wood, killing workouts, and currently feeling overall healthy and great as a 30 year old man

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

@kj6723

@Rudiger

Did you guys shed hardcore at all? The past 2 weeks i've been shedding at the right temple, its been 2 weeks of 1mg dutasteride a day, I've probably lost half a norwood so far, its getting so thin. I've done 0.5 mg dutasteride in the past and have never shed this much.

kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

koolaidshade wrote:
1 year ago
kj6723

Rudiger

Did you guys shed hardcore at all? The past 2 weeks i've been shedding at the right temple, its been 2 weeks of 1mg dutasteride a day, I've probably lost half a norwood so far, its getting so thin. I've done 0.5 mg dutasteride in the past and have never shed this much.
hmmm. Sometimes I do notice more hair shedding than at other times, but the entire time I've been on hairloss treatments I have actually never experienced a "shed" as people describe them on the forums where you visibly lose ground prior to regrowth or whatever. For me it has just been extremely gradual regrowth that still continues

Are you 100% sure you're not being paranoid?

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

kj6723 wrote:
1 year ago
hmmm. Sometimes I do notice more hair shedding than at other times, but the entire time I've been on hairloss treatments I have actually never experienced a "shed" as people describe them on the forums where you visibly lose ground prior to regrowth or whatever. For me it has just been extremely gradual regrowth that still continues

Are you 100% sure you're not being paranoid?
I'm 80% sure i've been losing ground. my hair has been getting harder to style but maybe it can also be because i havent had a haircut in a while.

Late 2013, when i was 20 years old and started minoxidil foam for the first time, i started shedding, but then in the spring 2014 that followed that, my hair line and density went back to the thickness of when i was 19 (if i had to guess, it never got back to the same hair line/density when i was in high school) and i regrew from nw 1.75 to like nw 1, though i still had a huge forehead.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 7 months ago

koolaidshade wrote:
1 year ago
I'm 80% sure i've been losing ground. my hair has been getting harder to style but maybe it can also be because i havent had a haircut in a while.

Late 2013, when i was 20 years old and started minoxidil foam for the first time, i started shedding, but then in the spring 2014 that followed that, my hair line and density went back to the thickness of when i was 19 (if i had to guess, it never got back to the same hair line/density when i was in high school) and i regrew from nw 1.75 to like nw 1, though i still had a huge forehead.
Today I am starting Dustasteride, 0.5 oral daily. Anything I need to look out for? Also curious to see if @kj6723 had any regrowth?

I rread that results can come in 90 days, much quicker than Finasteride.

kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by kj6723 » 7 months ago

rclark wrote:
7 months ago
Today I am starting Dustasteride, 0.5 oral daily. Anything I need to look out for? Also curious to see if @kj6723 had any regrowth?

I rread that results can come in 90 days, much quicker than Finasteride.
I definitely got/am getting regrowth on it

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).

This article explains why Dustasteride is surperior to Finasteride. The Finasteride half life is four to five hours. Dustasteride lasts for days longer (half life).

https://www.forhims.com/blog/finasterid ... -hair-loss

Dustasteride eliminates DHT from the body, but Finasteride leaves 18 to 19% DHT left in the body.

I'm currently prescribed 0.5 milligrams daily. Is that high enough? I see that @koolaidshade is taking
one milligram daily?

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by koolaidshade » 7 months ago

rclark wrote:
7 months ago
This article explains why Dustasteride is surperior to Finasteride. The Finasteride half life is four to five hours. Dustasteride lasts for days longer (half life).

Dustasteride eliminates DHT from the body, but Finasteride leaves 18 to 19% DHT left in the body.

I'm currently prescribed 0.5 milligrams daily. Is that high enough? I see that @koolaidshade is taking
one milligram daily?
been doing 0.5mg daily of dutasteride since since feb 2019
timeline is : 1 mg finasteride/day 2014-2015, .5mg dutasteride 2015-2018, 1 mg finasteride april 2018 - feb 2019, and currently been on dutasteride

Doc
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: finasteride

Post by Doc » 7 months ago

rclark wrote:
7 months ago

one milligram daily?
0.5 mg is the right dose. But if you don't get cosmetically beneficial results within 6 months, get back on finasteride. Why take a stronger drug? Sure dutasteride can grow some more terminal hairs but are they cosmetically useful? It should either thicken or reverse a NW. It happens sometimes. I saw a review where a man regrew his crown on dutasteride but finasteride did nothing for 5 years. There is a case for Dutasteride being superior at maintenance but if you're maintaining on Finasteride, that is also an irrelevant point.

And you only said half the story about DHT, from memory there is more to it. finasteride removes 80-85% of DHT at the hair follicle - which is the type 2 alpha reductase variety that is the only one that matters for hair. This reduction is enough for 9/10 people to get hair results long term. dutasteride removes 98-99% of this same type 2 DHT. It also removes a lot of type 1 dht which is found in the brain and liver iirc - not a good idea perhaps and also no hair gains from this. So overall the blood levels of dht are like 70% less on finasteride and 90% less on dutasteride - but the DHT flowing through your views doesn't impact your hair directly.

Once every few months I needle 3 mm on my head (well I get my girlfriend to do it) and add castor oil. I feel this is an effective maintenance tool along with finasteride and it grew a little even in my temple peaks.

Ideally a more powerful version of finasteride to block all type 2 dht - close to 100% - without touching type 1 - would be the best and safest. I do think dutasteride is more or less safe though but I feel no dht in the body increases likelihood of sides which is documented.
"I don't at all feel normal for picking apart some Wolf Pack story" - Rudiger
"Trust me Wolf, I'm nuts" - Rudiger

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Doc wrote:
7 months ago
0.5 mg is the right dose. But if you don't get cosmetically beneficial results within 6 months, get back on finasteride. Why take a stronger drug? Sure dutasteride can grow some more terminal hairs but are they cosmetically useful? It should either thicken or reverse a NW. It happens sometimes. I saw a review where a man regrew his crown on dutasteride but finasteride did nothing for 5 years. There is a case for Dutasteride being superior at maintenance but if you're maintaining on Finasteride, that is also an irrelevant point.

And you only said half the story about DHT, from memory there is more to it. finasteride removes 80-85% of DHT at the hair follicle - which is the type 2 alpha reductase variety that is the only one that matters for hair. This reduction is enough for 9/10 people to get hair results long term. dutasteride removes 98-99% of this same type 2 DHT. It also removes a lot of type 1 dht which is found in the brain and liver iirc - not a good idea perhaps and also no hair gains from this. So overall the blood levels of dht are like 70% less on finasteride and 90% less on dutasteride - but the DHT flowing through your views doesn't impact your hair directly.

Once every few months I needle 3 mm on my head (well I get my girlfriend to do it) and add castor oil. I feel this is an effective maintenance tool along with finasteride and it grew a little even in my temple peaks.

Ideally a more powerful version of finasteride to block all type 2 dht - close to 100% - without touching type 1 - would be the best and safest. I do think dutasteride is more or less safe though but I feel no dht in the body increases likelihood of sides which is documented.
Believe it or not, I actually have terminal hair regrowth in my temples from topical Finasteride/Progresterone combination (0.1% Finasteride/2% Progesterone).

For a couple of years, I've had zero hair shedding. In fact, even today there's no hair on a comb. My shedding is only a few
hair follicles when I wash my hair, once every three days (I use hot water on the other days to keep it clean).

The issue is I've always had hair regrowth in my vertex, but there is still a thin layer of hair around my vertex. It isn't noticeable when
my hair is dry, only when it's wet.

I do a 1.5 millimeter dermastamping, followed by Finasteride/Minoxidil/Progesterone to get a higher absorption, weekly, sometimes more.

I'm hoping the combination of liquid Finasteride, especially with the 0.5 milligrams of Dustasteride added in, will eventually get
my vertex hair to grow back.

What is strange is the recent "hair shedding" has only been around my vertex, not my hair line.

That said, there is much more "dead zone" area on my hair line, and in my temple region. The terminal hairs are visible, and the
same thickness, but it's probably only ten percent on the area that's lost.

At some point in time I might switch back to Finasteride.

The Doctor's told me that I should see visible regrowth in ninety days.

It will be interesting to see if I regain any terminal hairs on my hair line. It is an almost completely bald area, and extends
for around five centimeters (two inches) on the temple area. I really think it is too late, but time will tell.

Three millimeters dermastamping, I take it? That seems like a high number? I thought that half that length, 1.5 millimeters
was the longest we should do?