Dutasteride, loading phase or nah?

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, dermastamp 1.5mm weekly, nizoral 1% whenever

Dutasteride, loading phase or nah?

Post by kj6723 » 5 months ago

So it's been in my mind for a while now, but I am going to make the jump to dutasteride. finasteride has been working well, but I'm almost 30, we all know the anecdotal stories of guys in their 30's or so who've been on finasteride a couple years and suddenly their temples are creeping back again....yeah, not fucking waiting around for that to happen. I don't ever want to be actively balding again. Nothing new coming up looking promising as a long term maintenance option, and I want to be a NW2- basically until I'm senile. So dutasteride it is

Now my original plan was to begin low scale with just .5mg 2-3x a week, basically as just protection against future thinning, but I am actually now considering doing the "loading phase" of 2.5mg daily initially. I haven't seen a whole lot related to this, but @Rudiger is a proponent of it and I do trust his judgement. It's suppose to help maximize dutasteride potential, and then you gradually scale back the dose.....most of the threads that came up on it when I searched are from like 2010-2011. How come we don't really hear about this anymore? It seems like most dutasteride guys today are just starting and sticking with the .5mg. Do they not know about it or has loading been shown to not really be that useful?

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Re: Dutasteride, loading phase or nah?

Post by Rudiger » 5 months ago

Thanks for trusting my judgment but like I say, I don't exactly have a lab coat on! And not surrounded by beakers and test tubes.

So when I researched it less than a year ago I found enough threads (a handful maybe) that went in detail about why the studies proved the Loading phase was beneficial to someone new to dutasteride (and maybe not even new, which I'll come to) and a few people specifically differentiated why this wasn't necessarily effective on finasteride or other treatments. Apparently dutasteride worked better this way starting off, and it certainly worked well for me (much improved hair line, somewhat improved density but vitally around my "island" fringe it filled in a lot).

I may have got this wrong by PM and said I started on 2.5, thinking of it now I think I pussied out from fear of side effects and did a month of 1.5 (which some people also suggested in these threads).

As I mentioned before I've been considering taking a week or two off it and then trying a re-load with at least 1.5 but maybe 2.5, and seeing how that goes. I don't know if this is logical so if anyone with more than broscience has a clue, please advise me as well.

When I'm on my laptop again (instead of phone) I'll try to remember to look up the same threads again, some of them were on HairLossTalk I'm sure.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: big 3, microneedling for absorption

Post by koolaidshade » 5 months ago

Rudiger, did you ever start out with finasteride before using dutasteride?

Also, arent you guys worried about effects it may have on the liver, such as non-alcoholic fatty liver disease? There are some studies on it but iirc the sample size was small

I used finasteride for a year before going on dutasteride 0.5mg/daily for 3 years, but when i read about those liver effects as well as thinking that maybe using just finasteride would help improve my hair line (kinda dumb i know , but my blood testosterone levels were abnormally high while on dutasteride, 1000 ng/dL, and i thought this would help bring it down since I thought testosterone also plays a role in hair loss), i stopped dutasteride and hopped back onto finasteride. Testosterone was still the same after dropping dutasteride and getting on finasteride for the past 5 months, but i'm sure i've lost some hair since that transition.

I still have a small bottle of dutasteride and I can always have the doc reissue a new Rx for it so i can use it a few times a week, but i'm not sure what to do now...

Uncle Grandfather
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: 5% Minoxidil, 1 mg Finasteride, Nizoral

Post by Uncle Grandfather » 5 months ago

koolaidshade wrote:
5 months ago

Also, arent you guys worried about effects it may have on the liver, such as non-alcoholic fatty liver disease? There are some studies on it but iirc the sample size was small

I used finasteride for a year before going on dutasteride 0.5mg/daily for 3 years, but when i read about those liver effects as well as thinking that maybe using just finasteride would help improve my hair line (kinda dumb i know , but my blood testosterone levels were abnormally high while on dutasteride, 1000 ng/dL, and i thought this would help bring it down since I thought testosterone also plays a role in hair loss), i stopped dutasteride and hopped back onto finasteride. Testosterone was still the same after dropping dutasteride and getting on finasteride for the past 5 months, but i'm sure i've lost some hair since that transition.

I still have a small bottle of dutasteride and I can always have the doc reissue a new Rx for it so i can use it a few times a week, but i'm not sure what to do now...
I don't plan on living past 50 anyway. Next month will be the official one year mark of me being on The Big Three; if I see that I've lost ground I'm hopping on Dutasteride ASAP. Maybe even some HRT drugs.
Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind

Marki
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice

Post by Marki » 4 months ago

koolaidshade wrote:
5 months ago

What about cycling the stuff like steroids, maybe 3 months on 1 month off for your body to "normalize" and learn to grow and maintain hair on it's own eventually?

I also have the theory that when you hit your 30's & 40's you have less testosterone production so that should take some of the strain off hair follicles. So if you can somehow get some regrowth from meds then going off them wouldn't be as hard on the follicles since there is less T and DHT floating around.

Marki
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice

Rudiger wrote:
5 months ago
Thanks for trusting my judgment but like I say, I don't exactly have a lab coat on! And not surrounded by beakers and test tubes.

So when I researched it less than a year ago I found enough threads (a handful maybe) that went in detail about why the studies proved the Loading phase was beneficial to someone new to dutasteride (and maybe not even new, which I'll come to) and a few people specifically differentiated why this wasn't necessarily effective on finasteride or other treatments. Apparently dutasteride worked better this way starting off, and it certainly worked well for me (much improved hair line, somewhat improved density but vitally around my "island" fringe it filled in a lot).

I may have got this wrong by PM and said I started on 2.5, thinking of it now I think I pussied out from fear of side effects and did a month of 1.5 (which some people also suggested in these threads).

As I mentioned before I've been considering taking a week or two off it and then trying a re-load with at least 1.5 but maybe 2.5, and seeing how that goes. I don't know if this is logical so if anyone with more than broscience has a clue, please advise me as well.

When I'm on my laptop again (instead of phone) I'll try to remember to look up the same threads again, some of them were on HairLossTalk I'm sure.
You take dutasteride daily?

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, dermastamp 1.5mm weekly, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 4 months ago

Marki wrote:
4 months ago
What about cycling the stuff like steroids, maybe 3 months on 1 month off for your body to "normalize" and learn to grow and maintain hair on it's own eventually?

I also have the theory that when you hit your 30's & 40's you have less testosterone production so that should take some of the strain off hair follicles. So if you can somehow get some regrowth from meds then going off them wouldn't be as hard on the follicles since there is less T and DHT floating around.
Cycling dutasteride might be complicated because the half-life is ridiculous

Also, the low T theory you propose....the number of thinning men in the population increases as they age, so not sure that really holds up

Marki
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice

kj6723 wrote:
4 months ago
Cycling dutasteride might be complicated because the half-life is ridiculous

Also, the low T theory you propose....the number of thinning men in the population increases as they age, so not sure that really holds up
But that might be because other things also go down as men age, like estrogen levels which have been shown to grow hair.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by kj6723 » 4 months ago

I started my dutasteride load today. Going the 1.5mg route like @Rudiger did

The war continues my brothers

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 4 months ago

kj6723 wrote:
4 months ago
I started my dutasteride load today. Going the 1.5mg route like @Rudiger did

The war continues my brothers
Godspeed
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by kj6723 » 2 months ago

I am experiencing new terminal hair growth, having a few pop out in no man's land on my bald temple angle areas. These are not the ambiguous hairs produced by dermarolling, with which I am well familiar, but actual dark, strong terminal hairs.

I do not know if this is from the introduction of dutasteride or just due to 2.5+ years of miniaturization reversal. I have 4 days left of my load, currently on 1mg daily, after which I will go down to the standard .5mg

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » 2 months ago

I am on Finasteride at the moment but I want to switch to Dutasteride. How should I go about it? Do you guys just use Dutasteride or use it jointly with Finasteride? That seems to expensive to me. If I take Finasteride until certain day and then start taking Dutasteride will that make me unprotected for a certain period of time while it builds up or something? I could do the loading phase but takin 2.5mg of Dutasteride seems like overkill to me. I am worried my penis will fall off or stop working :(

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by kj6723 » 2 months ago

supremegentleman wrote:
2 months ago
I am on Finasteride at the moment but I want to switch to Dutasteride. How should I go about it? Do you guys just use Dutasteride or use it jointly with Finasteride? That seems to expensive to me. If I take Finasteride until certain day and then start taking Dutasteride will that make me unprotected for a certain period of time while it builds up or something? I could do the loading phase but takin 2.5mg of Dutasteride seems like overkill to me. I am worried my penis will fall off or stop working :(
I’m still taking finasteride as I was also concerned about being unprotected for a period of time until the dutasteride has fully taken over. I’m undecided on my long term finasteride use, but most likely I’ll just stop taking it when my current supply runs out as I am now committed to dutasteride

I only went as high as 1.5mg for my loading phase. Nothing I’ve noticed side effect wise, everything’s just the same as while on finasteride. If I were to do it again I might try 2.5mg as I now have less fear of the drug having been on it for a bit without any adverse reactions. Erections strong, body fat low, no breasts, etc

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » 2 months ago

How long should the loading phase be? And the transition period? Anyone has any sources how long it takes for Dutasteride to build up in body and start working?

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: big 3, microneedling for absorption

Post by koolaidshade » 2 months ago

Think you could post progress pics like you did on the other forum? If not, can you pm?