What shampoo are you using?

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1450
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 2123
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

What shampoo are you using?

#9781

Post by rclark » 1 year ago

Just an update, I just stopped using conditioner every day. I'm reading different posts
about it. I thought it was alright for daily usage, but now I'm not so sure.

Some of them say you should only do it as much as shampooing, although I know shampoo
temporarily makes hair strands thinner.

User avatar
Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1352
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 3783
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride, RU58841, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

What shampoo are you using?

#9783

Post by Rudiger » 1 year ago

I only shampoo twice a week, with nizoral left in for a few minutes and condition it out.

The rest of the week I just wash it through with water, and rinse it as I wash the rest of me.
Look, fat...

User avatar
kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 382
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 895
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: dutasteride, minoxidil, nizoral

What shampoo are you using?

#9788

Post by kj6723 » 1 year ago

I use baby shampoo daily

I've been somewhat less consistent with my use of nizoral although I still use it ~2x a week, massaging it into the scalp and letting it sit for ~10 min, then rinsing it out and conditioning. I've become less convinced that it does anything directly for male pattern baldness, apart from maybe helping promote an overall healthy scalp environment and maybe countering any potential negative effects of prolonged minoxidil use

User avatar
koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 314
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 498
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

What shampoo are you using?

#9832

Post by koolaidshade » 1 year ago

So right now i've updated my routine to using 2% keto shampoo EOD or on days i workout/sweat a lot, and using adenosine shampoo (adenovital) on the "off" days. My new conditioner is the Paul Mitchell anti-thinning conditioner. I only got that conditioner because i intended on getting the original tea tree one but it had peppermint which bugs my scalp. I'm hoping this new conditioner helps with scalp dryness, sebhorreic dermatitis, and makes my hair look better unlike the others. I'd rather spend an extra several bucks on stuff like this if it helps instead of using shit walmart conditioner


Image

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 222
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 339
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: nothing

What shampoo are you using?

#9834

Post by supremegentleman » 1 year ago

The adenovital shampoo might be a good shampoo but it doesn't contain any adenosine, adenosine is in their scalp treatment product which is part of the adenovital line.

are there any good conditioner that actually make your hair thicker or do all of them make your hair thinner and flat? that was the case with conditioner that I used and stopped using them. although none of them said thickening conditioner so maybe that was the reason, actually those were my mother's conditioners xD

User avatar
koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 314
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 498
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

What shampoo are you using?

#9846

Post by koolaidshade » 1 year ago

supremegentleman wrote:
1 year ago
The adenovital shampoo might be a good shampoo but it doesn't contain any adenosine, adenosine is in their scalp treatment product which is part of the adenovital line.

are there any good conditioner that actually make your hair thicker or do all of them make your hair thinner and flat? that was the case with conditioner that I used and stopped using them. although none of them said thickening conditioner so maybe that was the reason, actually those were my mother's conditioners xD
The shampoo does have adenosine: https://www.pro.shiseido.com/en/product/ca-ad-shampoo

The "Hello Hydration" conditioner from herbal essences was good at making my hair fluffy, smooth, and non-dry. It kind of moisturized my scalp better than most, and its very cheap to get at least a liter of it (<$7). Used it for almost a year until now, even used it when i was traveling. If you're on a tight budget and don't know where to start, this one's alright i guess

The paul mitchell stuff i got smells really good to me though, kind of strong but i use it at night and the smell dies off in the morning.

User avatar
Qureanori
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 6
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: nothing
Location: Atlanta
Age: 46

Re: What shampoo are you using?

#15222

Post by Qureanori » 1 year ago

Hi!
My hubby and I both get dry scalps in the winter time and normally use Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Shampoo. However, I saw a shampoo in my local salon that looked good but cost a little more. It is called Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo and is supposed to be good for this kind of a thing. What I was wondering is has anyone tried this? And if you have is it good? We both have oily hair and are not color treated.

User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1450
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 2123
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

What shampoo are you using?

#15232

Post by rclark » 1 year ago

Qureanori wrote:
1 year ago
Hi!
My hubby and I both get dry scalps in the winter time and normally use Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Shampoo. However, I saw a shampoo in my local salon that looked good but cost a little more. It is called Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo and is supposed to be good for this kind of a thing. What I was wondering is has anyone tried this? And if you have is it good? We both have oily hair and are not color treated.
I've tried it. It did do a good job cleaning my hair. I actually do use it occasionally.

Even if you did have hair coloring, it wouldn't affect it.

User avatar
kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 382
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 895
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: dutasteride, minoxidil, nizoral

What shampoo are you using?

#22787

Post by kj6723 » 4 months ago

Rudiger wrote:
1 year ago
I only shampoo twice a week, with nizoral left in for a few minutes and condition it out.

The rest of the week I just wash it through with water, and rinse it as I wash the rest of me.
Are you still not washing with shampoo (apart from the nizoral days)?

I'd forgotten how much more aesthetic my hair tends to look after a few days of not shampooing, until recently when I skipped the shampoo for a weekend. Now I'm considering seeing how things go for a bit if I only do nizoral + conditioner 1x a week and just rinse on the 6 other days

My biggest concern with this is buildup of oils and other gunk on the scalp keeping minoxidil from fully being able to penetrate and work to its full potential. Any thoughts on this?

User avatar
Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1352
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 3783
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride, RU58841, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

What shampoo are you using?

#22797

Post by Rudiger » 4 months ago

kj6723 wrote:
4 months ago
Are you still not washing with shampoo (apart from the nizoral days)?

I'd forgotten how much more aesthetic my hair tends to look after a few days of not shampooing, until recently when I skipped the shampoo for a weekend. Now I'm considering seeing how things go for a bit if I only do nizoral + conditioner 1x a week and just rinse on the 6 other days

My biggest concern with this is buildup of oils and other gunk on the scalp keeping minoxidil from fully being able to penetrate and work to its full potential. Any thoughts on this?
I've never thought about that before because my hair never feels oily or gunky, but that's probably because I had a gradual changeover to just water. If you were to go a week right now you'd likely have greasy hair after 4 days, and even gunk (like if you were to scrape your fingernail along your scalp, likely to have a waxy residue)

Another thing is that I'd "top up" sometimes in the middle of the day when I've already showered earlier. If I felt my hair was looking greasy, I'd just run my head under the shower for literally 5 seconds, just get it wet and rub my hands through it a few times quite roughly, and then rub dry with a towel. It would instantly look fluffier and nicer (airy fluffy hair does wonders for diffuse guys).

Try that, it'll be better after drying, if it's still returning to grease hours later then shampoo, and basically just keep pushing a little longer each time. My hair does still get greasy now and then but normally from being in a stuffy stressful office for long shifts, but I can't remember the last time I had shampoo, and I nizoral about once a week now, very brief conditioner use, I rub that in after nizoral for like 15-30 seconds and rinse.
Look, fat...

User avatar
kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 382
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 895
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: dutasteride, minoxidil, nizoral

What shampoo are you using?

#22799

Post by kj6723 » 4 months ago

Rudiger wrote:
4 months ago
I've never thought about that before because my hair never feels oily or gunky, but that's probably because I had a gradual changeover to just water. If you were to go a week right now you'd likely have greasy hair after 4 days, and even gunk (like if you were to scrape your fingernail along your scalp, likely to have a waxy residue)

Another thing is that I'd "top up" sometimes in the middle of the day when I've already showered earlier. If I felt my hair was looking greasy, I'd just run my head under the shower for literally 5 seconds, just get it wet and rub my hands through it a few times quite roughly, and then rub dry with a towel. It would instantly look fluffier and nicer (airy fluffy hair does wonders for diffuse guys).

Try that, it'll be better after drying, if it's still returning to grease hours later then shampoo, and basically just keep pushing a little longer each time. My hair does still get greasy now and then but normally from being in a stuffy stressful office for long shifts, but I can't remember the last time I had shampoo, and I nizoral about once a week now, very brief conditioner use, I rub that in after nizoral for like 15-30 seconds and rinse.
Ah ok, thanks. I think I might start off by trying shampooing 2x a week, maybe like Sunday and Wednesday, that way I can carry the unwashed, aesthetic look through the weekend

Another variable that I'm wondering how it will affect this is how much I sweat. When I do cardio I'm literally dripping, with a completely soaked shirt like I just jumped in the pool kind of sweat. I'd imagine this will make oil and gunk build faster, but we'll see. I might still scrub my scalp somewhat on the days I skip the shampoo just to be safe....

I guess this is one of those things where if you want to see how it goes, you just have to bite the bullet and go the trial and error route

User avatar
Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1352
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 3783
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride, RU58841, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

What shampoo are you using?

#22810

Post by Rudiger » 4 months ago

kj6723 wrote:
4 months ago
Ah ok, thanks. I think I might start off by trying shampooing 2x a week, maybe like Sunday and Wednesday, that way I can carry the unwashed, aesthetic look through the weekend

Another variable that I'm wondering how it will affect this is how much I sweat. When I do cardio I'm literally dripping, with a completely soaked shirt like I just jumped in the pool kind of sweat. I'd imagine this will make oil and gunk build faster, but we'll see. I might still scrub my scalp somewhat on the days I skip the shampoo just to be safe....

I guess this is one of those things where if you want to see how it goes, you just have to bite the bullet and go the trial and error route
Just firstly when you say "unwashed aesthetic" I think I'm getting this wrong, do you mean your intention is to look somewhat a little greasy (in a rugged way I guess?) as it suits you? Maybe in a Kurt Cobain type way? Because I'm talking about water rinsing hair to make it look healthy and fluffy, this was the best example I could think of:
Grigor_Dimitrov_The_Boodles_Stoke_Park_2013-900x900.jpg
Grigor_Dimitrov_The_Boodles_Stoke_Park_2013-900x900.jpg (85.89 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
(Grigor Dimitrov, though from what's happened to his hair he might be one of us on the forum these days)

As for the sweating, I'm also regularly dripping in sweat from the gym (especially if I do a harsh enough cardio warm up and go to compound lifts, it just falls off me even lifting weights) and yet still, generally my hair has never been fluffier and shinier. So I see your point and maybe in the initial stages of me transitioning to just rinsing, I might have had the same (not sure though) but again, just takes some time. I'd guess between 3-6 months before you no longer have to worry about greasy hair, and it's not that bad even during those initial stages.

I'm not totally sure if this is effective but for the past while I've been doing cold showers, and for hair washing I read it's better to apply shampoo in hot water, then rinse in cold. So I do that with Nizoral, and also generally when rinsing, I'll get in when hot and rinse, then cold water cleaning my body (everyone picture this) and cold water rinse my hair to finish.

Cold showers are just great anyway, and as you work out I think it's great for muscle recovery especially in the back or especially lower back, and legs, it's great apart from the weird foreskin issue it sometimes gives me (everyone picture this)
Look, fat...

User avatar
kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 382
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 895
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: dutasteride, minoxidil, nizoral

What shampoo are you using?

#22841

Post by kj6723 » 4 months ago

Rudiger wrote:
4 months ago
Just firstly when you say "unwashed aesthetic" I think I'm getting this wrong, do you mean your intention is to look somewhat a little greasy (in a rugged way I guess?) as it suits you? Maybe in a Kurt Cobain type way? Because I'm talking about water rinsing hair to make it look healthy and fluffy, this was the best example I could think of:

Grigor_Dimitrov_The_Boodles_Stoke_Park_2013-900x900.jpg
(Grigor Dimitrov, though from what's happened to his hair he might be one of us on the forum these days)

As for the sweating, I'm also regularly dripping in sweat from the gym (especially if I do a harsh enough cardio warm up and go to compound lifts, it just falls off me even lifting weights) and yet still, generally my hair has never been fluffier and shinier. So I see your point and maybe in the initial stages of me transitioning to just rinsing, I might have had the same (not sure though) but again, just takes some time. I'd guess between 3-6 months before you no longer have to worry about greasy hair, and it's not that bad even during those initial stages.

I'm not totally sure if this is effective but for the past while I've been doing cold showers, and for hair washing I read it's better to apply shampoo in hot water, then rinse in cold. So I do that with Nizoral, and also generally when rinsing, I'll get in when hot and rinse, then cold water cleaning my body (everyone picture this) and cold water rinse my hair to finish.

Cold showers are just great anyway, and as you work out I think it's great for muscle recovery especially in the back or especially lower back, and legs, it's great apart from the weird foreskin issue it sometimes gives me (everyone picture this)
Yeah basically as you say I a referring to a rugged, semi-greasy sort of situation. I think because my hair texture is very fine and straight, and especially now as it's getting longer again, the build up of some oils in it gives it an aesthetic texture and keeps it from having that frizzy look that I get when I have just shampooed it

Personally I found the benefits of cold showers to be negligible with how miserable I find them...If I was a professional athlete or something I would possibly be taking ice baths, but I don't think cold showers actually replicate the benefits of them enough to make it worth them...although this is just off the top of my head at the moment and not actually based on any kind of studies. For me personally I like to end each workout with a 5 min cool down walk followed by extensive stretching, as I find this helps with recovery immensely

User avatar
Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1352
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 3783
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride, RU58841, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

What shampoo are you using?

#22843

Post by Rudiger » 4 months ago

kj6723 wrote:
4 months ago
Yeah basically as you say I a referring to a rugged, semi-greasy sort of situation. I think because my hair texture is very fine and straight, and especially now as it's getting longer again, the build up of some oils in it gives it an aesthetic texture and keeps it from having that frizzy look that I get when I have just shampooed it

Personally I found the benefits of cold showers to be negligible with how miserable I find them...If I was a professional athlete or something I would possibly be taking ice baths, but I don't think cold showers actually replicate the benefits of them enough to make it worth them...although this is just off the top of my head at the moment and not actually based on any kind of studies. For me personally I like to end each workout with a 5 min cool down walk followed by extensive stretching, as I find this helps with recovery immensely
I now do all my stretching in between sets, actually I might write about that more in the weight lifting thread as I was planning on writing an update on my recent program anyway (Jeff Nippards High Frequency Full Body Program).

But for muscle soreness cold showers have been great for me, and that wasn't even the benefit I was expecting from them, as like you're saying, I didn't think it would replicate an ice bath whatsoever.

So the benefit I wanted was mainly to do with both waking up and going to sleep, somehow cold showers help with both. For waking up, obviously a fucking cold shower is going to do that, and I focus more on the shower hitting my hair and face, as well as my chest and arms more (I find much more of a chill from hitting these areas for some reason, it's more uncomfortable than turning around and hitting the neck/back). I no longer find it completely miserable, but I immediately feel like I've accomplished something (albeit something arguably pointless and stupid) and it sets me up in that frame of mind for the day, it's the fear of doing it, getting over that and going for it, realising it's a tiny amount of time in the grand scheme of things, and afterwards I usually feel great. More alert of course, body tingling, but also with that sense of accomplishment.

Also I try to have some news clip or topic of interest playing on YouTube on my phone, and sit it beside the shower playing loud enough to hear over the shower, because it can be hard to stay in there for more than 2mins if you don't have a distraction.

So that's for waking up, for going asleep it's oddly and unexpectedly probably more beneficial, by the way waking up/sleeping is a big thing for me as I work weird and sometimes very long hours, my sleep pattern can be all over the place and my colleagues often struggle immensely with this, you might have to work 12 hours and then go home for 4, you aren't necessarily expected to be available but realistically, it does help. And for some reason even after working many hours and going home, it can still be hard to sleep, you're all over the place.

Just like having a fairly cool room promotes better and longer sleep, so does cold showers. This is where I'd clean myself as normal (is everyone picturing this?) but then after that I'd turn around and have the water pointing directly at the top of my neck, running down my spine, really cooling my body temperature, and for whatever reason I feel like I can stand like that for much longer than I could with hitting my face/chest. About 2-3mins, not too crazy.

After that and drying off, I'd put on a dressing gown and slippers and I'd give it 5-10mins brushing teeth or whatever, sorting out my room and stuff, I'll start to feel the tingle, then when you actually get in to bed your body temperature will be seriously trying to heat up, and you'll be knocked out, and stay that way for a long quality sleep.

Of course if you always sleep 7-9 hours consistently and never have issues waking up, then there's no point worrying about it, but the benefit I didn't expect was helping delayed onset muscle soreness.

I wasn't working out as strictly until recently and I hadn't done purely a leg focussed day in maybe several months, my first one came up about 3 weeks ago, as usual the 12-24 hours after wasn't too bad, about a day and a half later the DOMS kicked in. Couldn't walk on them, really really stiff, too many exercises with too much volume, bad idea.

I got in the cold shower (I had been doing this with pain from running as well a few months ago) and held the shower head directly against the back of my thigh, hold it for 30 seconds, then other thigh, then front of thigh, basically keep rotating for as long as I could bear (think about 6mins before I couldn't take much more). It definitely does replicate the ice bath if the water is directly applied to the skin and runs down your leg to the calf all as one stream with the cold water completely covering the skin (similar to how I target the water pointing right down at the top of my neck, because it runs down my entire back and legs like a blanketed sheet of coldness, so it's not just drops bouncing off the skin). It gets numb, to the bone, same as an ice bath, the idea being the temperature has completely changed it not just for that moment but for many minutes afterwards.

It's also been great for my lower back after doing deadlifts (sometimes squats and even bench press can give me lower back pain too, but apparently my form seems fine, I guess it's just unavoidable if I want to move up in weight) I'll hold the shower head directly against the lower back for 30-60secs at a time, at least twice or three times, feels significantly better for up to several hours, and even after that I bet it would've felt a lot worse without the cold shower (from previous experience of constantly adjusting my back all day because of soreness, not really an issue anymore).

And actually I'm just realising that I never use it against other smaller muscle groups like my arms or shoulders or chest, mainly because soreness in those muscles isn't exactly debilitating like legs or lower back, but it does still come up, and I should remember to try with those next time and see if it also works.

I do also use the sauna and steam room daily (mainly because I like it), I use a Shakti mat as well (similar to acupuncture, like laying on sharp spikes) and I have a massage chair too, as well as my foam roller stick (not a normal foam roller it's got little hard nudges in it) as well as supplements like collagen for joints/recovery, so cold showers aren't my only focus for soreness, however I think it works better than anything and compliments all of the above when used with one or more of them.

You need to man up and have the David Goggins philosophy, infinite pain = infinite gainz.

Eff science brah go run on a broken shin
Look, fat...

User avatar
blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2213
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 4094

What shampoo are you using?

#22904

Post by blackg » 4 months ago

Cold showers for all was a Bernie Sanders policy to reduce energy consumption.
It's good to see people taking up this initiative.
every day is Father's Day

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post