Making sense of the current political climate

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 1 month ago

nameless wrote:
1 month ago
Most of your post has nothing to do with the USA and Trump. You're justifying Trump's two-faced bs because of what's going on in the rest of the world but the rest of the world is not the same as the USA. Most of the draw for immigrants into Europe has to do with the war in the ME but the ME war has nothing to do with immigration into the USA.

And as far as Trump being the only one who actually seems to give a shit about the border at all you're ignoring that Trump and people like Trump (rich GOPers) are the ones who are drawing the immigrants into the country.
It's a valid point that the recent surge of immigration into Europe is due to the wars in Syria and Libya. That was entirely predictable too.

But a common aspect though is the association between racism and classism. People, in general, care more about race when times are bad. For example, the Nazis came to power due to Versailles. And in both Europe and the USA, the middle class is being squeezed. It's normal if not good but definitely normal for people to seek identity in periods of stress.

Anyway, Trump isn't solving shit. He is however quite skilled at exploiting people's fears and anxieties.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2.5

Post by That Guy » 1 month ago

nameless wrote:
1 month ago
ve

Most of your post has nothing to do with the USA and Trump. You're justifying Trump's immigration scam on the basis of what's going on in the rest of the world but the rest of the world is not the same as the USA. Most of the lure for immigrants into Europe has to do with the war in the ME but the ME war has nothing to do with immigration into the USA.

And as far as Trump being the only one who actually seems to give a shit about the border you're ignoring the fact that Trump and people like Trump (rich GOPers) are the ones who are luring the immigrants into the country. You're either a phony who's only pretending to consider all of the facts regarding immigration or you've been moved by Trump's anti-immigration rhetoric the same as the USA hillbillies have even though Trump and his type are the people luring the immigrants into the country.

Either way I'm moving on from this discussion because you're unwilling to debate truthfully. You just make up phony rationals for your pro-Trump attitudes even though he's the guy who's luring in the immigrants you claim you want to keep out. The truth is that if there were no Trump and rich GOPers like Trump then easily half of the immigrants in the USA wouldn't be here.

I really question your intelligence. You're supporting the very people who are creating the very problem that you claim you want to go away. I'm done with this discussion.
You should move away from this discussion because you have no clue wtf you're talking about.

Trump is a better candidate than what he was/is up against, but that doesn't mean he's great or actually solving issues.

Adults generally don't find such to be a difficult concept to understand, but then I remember you're a boomer.

Added in 3 minutes 6 seconds:
Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago
It's a valid point that the recent surge of immigration into Europe is due to the wars in Syria and Libya. That was entirely predictable too.

But a common aspect though is the association between racism and classism. People, in general, care more about race when times are bad. For example, the Nazis came to power due to Versailles. And in both Europe and the USA, the middle class is being squeezed. It's normal if not good but definitely normal for people to seek identity in periods of stress.

Anyway, Trump isn't solving shit. He is however quite skilled at exploiting people's fears and anxieties.
Most of the immigration to Europe is not from Syria or Libya. Bangladesh is now point of origin #1.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 13911.html

I'm not sure how anyone can argue "because war" at this point when it's very clear to even the passive observer that this is a business + demographic replacement.

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: None at this time.

Post by nameless » 1 month ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago

He is however quite skilled at exploiting people's fears and anxieties.
Yes, among the hillbillies.

He brings them in and then he screams to the hillbillies that they need to vote for him to keep them out. And unintelligent people fall for it. If there were big fines for hiring them and we stop giving them so much free stuff then Trump and his kind would stop employing them and as much as half of them might peacefully exit the country on their own.

Added in 5 minutes 41 seconds:
That Guy wrote:
1 month ago

I'm not sure how anyone can argue "because war" at this point when it's very clear to even the passive observer that this is a business + demographic replacement.
Another one of your Trump-supporting, hillbilly rationals.

Trump lures them in and then he screams about them being here and you fall for it.

Added in 3 minutes 26 seconds:

https://thehill.com/latino/456868-trump ... ers-report

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/42346 ... olf-course

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

nameless wrote:
1 month ago
Trump lures them in and then he screams about them being here and you fall for it.
I didn't say I was a Trump supporter, you glue-huffing retard.

I have criticized the fact that he is a Jewish shill numerous times.

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago

Anyway, Trump isn't solving shit.
He has done some things. He has dramatically lowered taxes on himself and people like him and he's duped hillbillies into supporting him when it comes to his phony quest against illegal immigration which Trump and people like him are mostly driving.

Added in 1 minute 36 seconds:
That Guy wrote:
1 month ago
I didn't say I was a Trump supporter, you glue-huffing retard.

I have criticized the fact that he is a Jewish shill numerous times.
I recall reading posts by you that support his anti-immigration scam even though you know it's mostly him and guys like him who are driving immigration. Trump and guys like him create obstacles to your objectives even as you post that you rate him "above bar". If Trump and guys like him would stop employing immigrants we could peacefully reduce the immigrant population in America substantially.

And I bet you weren't always a xenophobic hack against dark-skinned people. It's likely something that evolved with you over time. If you saw half the immigration population of America, and virtually all of the illegal immigration population, peacefully exit the USA you would probably scream "Hallelujah!" and yet the guy you rate "above bar" is an example of the guy who is keeping them in the USA.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

nameless wrote:
1 month ago
I recall reading posts by you that support his anti-immigration scam even though you know it's mostly him and guys like him who are driving immigration.
What are you smoking? Seriously.
nameless wrote:
1 month ago
And I bet you weren't always a xenophobic hack against dark-skinned people. It's likely something that evolved with you over time. If you saw half the immigration population of America, and virtually all of the illegal immigration population, peacefully exit the USA you would probably scream "Hallelujah!" and yet the guy you rate "above bar" is an example of the guy who is keeping them in the USA.
Man, I have met and worked with those people you speak of across the USA and Canada. That's why I'm a nationalist.

This is actually one of the greatest lies that was sold to the boomers onward: That "racist" people just "haven't gone anywhere or met people". Yeah, my experience has been that the truth is exactly the opposite. Most of the time, it's people who are still in homogeneous neighborhoods or upper-class urbanites who don't have to deal with the horrors of multiculturalism who think that "diversity is our strength.

Oh, you guys hear about the Philly shooting?

https://gossiponthis.com/2019/08/15/mau ... a-shooter/

lol, put another one on the chart.

But we need to combat h'white supremacy, anti-semitism and neo nazis! That's the REAL threat facing America!

An unfortunate thing I've come to realize is that a lot of my people are a lost cause.

But the good news is, they're mostly of your generation or thereabouts, and you bastards on are on your way out. On the one hand, I feel bad about white people of any age dying off, but on the other, you people have been so utterly fucking useless and destructive to our civilization that it's impossible not to feel a bit of glee at the fact that soon, your generation will be pushing up daisies, which will leave Gens Z, Alpha and the non-retarded millennials to actually fix this shit since you won't be standing in the way anymore.

It doesn't matter what you think, or how much you scream and cry: My point that demographics is destiny is self-proving, and becoming only more evident by the day.

I will mostly-likely die surrounded by people who love me; you are going to die a lonely, bitter, childless old man, left in the care of your beloved 3rd-worlders who will stand around and laugh as you choke on your own tongue.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/18/video-sho ... -for-help/

So I'm at peace

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 1 month ago

That Guy wrote:
1 month ago
What are you smoking? Seriously.

Man, I have met and worked with those people you speak of across the USA and Canada. That's why I'm a nationalist.

This is actually one of the greatest lies that was sold to the boomers onward: That "racist" people just "haven't gone anywhere or met people". Yeah, my experience has been that the truth is exactly the opposite. Most of the time, it's people who are still in homogeneous neighborhoods or upper-class urbanites who don't have to deal with the horrors of multiculturalism who think that "diversity is our strength.

Oh, you guys hear about the Philly shooting?

https://gossiponthis.com/2019/08/15/mau ... a-shooter/

lol, put another one on the chart.

But we need to combat h'white supremacy, anti-semitism and neo nazis! That's the REAL threat facing America!

An unfortunate thing I've come to realize is that a lot of my people are a lost cause.

But the good news is, they're mostly of your generation or thereabouts, and you bastards on are on your way out. On the one hand, I feel bad about white people of any age dying off, but on the other, you people have been so utterly fucking useless and destructive to our civilization that it's impossible not to feel a bit of glee at the fact that soon, your generation will be pushing up daisies, which will leave Gens Z, Alpha and the non-retarded millennials to actually fix this shit since you won't be standing in the way anymore.

It doesn't matter what you think, or how much you scream and cry: My point that demographics is destiny is self-proving, and becoming only more evident by the day.

I will mostly-likely die surrounded by people who love me; you are going to die a lonely, bitter, childless old man, left in the care of your beloved 3rd-worlders who will stand around and laugh as you choke on your own tongue.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/18/video-sho ... -for-help/

So I'm at peace
He's going to die bald too, contrary to his delusional beliefs in a magical cure that he will somehow be able afford.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

nameless wrote:
1 month ago
He has done some things. He has dramatically lowered taxes on himself and people like him and he's duped hillbillies into supporting him when it comes to his phony quest against illegal immigration which Trump and people like him are mostly driving.

Added in 1 minute 36 seconds:

I recall reading posts by you that support his anti-immigration scam even though you know it's mostly him and guys like him who are driving immigration. Trump and guys like him create obstacles to your objectives even as you post that you rate him "above bar". If Trump and guys like him would stop employing immigrants we could peacefully reduce the immigrant population in America substantially.

I got a decent-sized tax cut from Trump, but I'd rather that money be spent on fixing the country's deteriorating infrastructure. That was Trump's original plan back in 2016, when he was making more sense.

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 1 month ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago
My cousin is a far-right Frenchman who supports Le Pen. I don't know if he hates immigrants or not, that hasn't really come up. For whatever it's worth, his appearance is part French, part Italian. His name is French.

His main concern is that France is declining, French industry is declining, the French middle class is declining, intellectual and cultural standards are declining, and so on. His view is that the Euro has not worked out for France, and that things are mostly getting worse. The last that I spoke to him he gave me a list of major French companies that have recently failed or been bought out by non-French companies.

For whatever it's worth, I think that America is failing too. There are too many problems. It's not even the case that they won't all get solved. As far as I can tell, none of them are going to get solved.
He's certainly correct that the Euro has failed France. The inability to directly influence monetary policy and manage a floating currency in ones own country, particularly in a block of nations with opposing ideologies, governments and industries is a moronic disaster. Add to that the legal sovereignty and border control problems and you have a situation that in the long term isn't sustainable, even if all the parties involved had goodwill towards each other and the project.

The reality is that in reference to traditional economic metrics (which the US has always been measured by) it isn't failing, although the national debt problem makes it difficult to engage in serious transformation policy agendas without risking destruction of the economy entirely. If anyone failed America it was a combination of the Bush and Clinton administrations for causing the GFC and Bush for his destructive foreign policy and expenditure on war. Obama was largely impotent aside from a failed fiscal stimulus that largely hammered the nails in the coffin.

People talk about centrism being dead, but the US needs a party for example that is interested in serious infrastructure spending that will actually have a valuable long term return on investment, aid in terms of peoples lives and doesn't involve trashing an already existing energy grid for the sake of a new one and passing (increased) costs onto consumers, in a bill that also tries to give everyone in the country that wants one a government job. A party that offers a single payer healthcare system but doesn't want to give free healthcare to illegal immigrants, while subsequently decriminalising coming to the US illegally, a position the majority of Democratic candidates support. Instead there is a batshit crazy wing of the Democratic party out of touch with reality or the desires of the public, and apathetic but realistic Republicans, from Pelosi to Trump. Both sides seem to want to pull further in either direction, which is why nothing can get better.

The reason I still think Trump is the better option is that for the most part he is the status quo candidate. Country isn't getting better, but it isn't getting worse as it would under a Bernie who couldn't care less about fiscal responsibility, the results of his intentions or even the basics of maintaining a stable economy.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

JLBB wrote:
1 month ago
The reality is that in reference to traditional economic metrics (which the US has always been measured by) it isn't failing, although the national debt problem makes it difficult to engage in serious transformation policy agendas without risking destruction of the economy entirely. If anyone failed America it was a combination of the Bush and Clinton administrations for causing the GFC and Bush for his destructive foreign policy and expenditure on war. Obama was largely impotent aside from a failed fiscal stimulus that largely hammered the nails in the coffin.

People talk about centrism being dead, but the US needs a party for example that is interested in serious infrastructure spending that will actually have a valuable long term return on investment, aid in terms of peoples lives and doesn't involve trashing an already existing energy grid for the sake of a new one and passing (increased) costs onto consumers, in a bill that also tries to give everyone in the country that wants one a government job. A party that offers a single payer healthcare system but doesn't want to give free healthcare to illegal immigrants, while subsequently decriminalising coming to the US illegally, a position the majority of Democratic candidates support. Instead there is a batshit crazy wing of the Democratic party out of touch with reality or the desires of the public, and apathetic but realistic Republicans, from Pelosi to Trump. Both sides seem to want to pull further in either direction, which is why nothing can get better.
The economic metrics are quite good, and have been quite good for several decades. Inflation is officially low, unemployment is officially low, the stock market is doing great, GDP growth is high, etc, sounds like utopia ... but I'm skeptical. I don't know how you feel about the following, but I strongly suspect that the official numbers are somewhat cooked, though I don't know to which extent. I recall a quote by Gregory Mankiw (I think that it was Mankiw) discussing how the Clinton administration had cooked the books on inflation. Their idea was that by under-estimating the inflation rate, they could save money on social security spending. I think that they did this by manipulating hedonics and substitution.

An old friend of mine from years ago, who had double majored in economics and physics, had told me that there's a theorem in neo-classical economics that suggests that unemployment and inflation should be anti-correlated. I don't remember the name of the theorem, but he said that the empirical data challenged that theorem, as both numbers were low. I responded that there's no issue, if the official numbers are cooked, then the theorem is irrelevant.

I agree that Clinton's presidency is at the heart of many of the failed problems. When he came in, he benefited from the Cold War being won, the gulf war being won, a recession being just finished, the emerging tech boom due to the internet, demographic changes that would lead to lower crime, and majorities in both houses. He arguably had the best cards of any President of the post-war era ... and he squandered those cards and the country merely partied for 8 years. A lot of people got rich, but nothing useful got done with all of that political capital. He tried to initiate Middle East, but he failed. He tried to fix health care, but he failed. All they had was a big party, they also alienated Russia by trying to plunder it during the Yeltsin years, when they should have sought to have an alliance with Russia. He's the most over-rated of the recent presidents.

These are some of the current inefficiencies in the US right now:
- Infrastructure, it takes too long to get from point A to point B;
- Education, too expensive due to the rise of bureaucracy and loan sharks, and teaching less and less;
- Health care, most expensive system in the world, with higher rates of infant mortality resulting;
- Research into pharmaceuticals is almost entirely funded by US taxpayers. The pills then get sold to Americans at ~10x the prices that they are sold to the rest of the world, Pharma executives and marketing companies pocket the difference, and in general the clinical trials are often of very poor methodology;
- Mass immigration from the third world crashing working class wages and increasing the cost of living;
- An ecosystem of speculators and tax credits increasing the cost of housing of middle-class families in their 20s and 30s;
- Criminal justice system which puts 3 million people in jail, largely for smoking marijuana, at a cost of $100,000/year, not including the human cost. The criminal justice system also fails to deal with more serious crimes. For example, there's a huge amount of rape kits which remain untested. Drunk drivers get off easy. etc;
- It's easy for any lunatic to get access to assault rifles;

I unfortunately don't see any of that getting solved.

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago
I got a decent-sized tax cut from Trump, but I'd rather that money be spent on fixing the country's deteriorating infrastructure. That was Trump's original plan back in 2016, when he was making more sense.
This means your tax cuts weren't really worth it to you.

But to guys like Trump infrastructure doesn't matter because all around them where they live they've created a beautiful area for them to live in. They don't need infrastructure as much as you do because they don't use as much infrastructure as you do. They have private planes and the take off into the air from their residences. They land at strips and then they're taken to their destinations. Sometimes they land their helicopters at their destinations because their destinations have helicopter landing pads. These guys don't see and cope with the ugly deteriorating infrastructure as much as you do so they don't care. Their issue is that they just want to pay less taxes. Period.

These guys are trying to make their own general areas in the US perfect and they could care less about the rest of the country. Last I heard one of them, the guy who runs Dominoes Pizza, was trying to create a whole beautiful right-wing town where everything would be nice inside while the infrastructure and harmony would be falling apart outside of it.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago
Infrastructure, it takes too long to get from point A to point B;
I do not understand why the fuck North America doesn't have trains like Europe.

In Alberta, they've talked for 30 years about building a high-speed rail between Edmonton and Calgary. I would love that. I would love trains.

Especially with lower population density.

Man, I would save so much money if I didn't have to own a car; paying insurance, gas, etc. I walk a lot of places in the summer time and don't bother driving.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

That Guy wrote:
1 month ago

In Alberta, they've talked for 30 years about building a high-speed rail between Edmonton and Calgary. I would love that. I would love trains.

Man, I would save so much money if I didn't have to own a car; paying insurance, gas, etc. I walk a lot of places in the summer time and don't bother driving.
I think that the auto companies lobby for it. Trains are also perceived as being for poor people, which is accurate in this society but need not be true in general.

As for cars, when o was younger and car-less I always heard people bitch about the price of gas. I was deeply worried about the price of gas when I finally got a car ... And then I realized that it's the least expensive part and that people were full of shit. The car itself (lol), repairs, insurance, registration, have all been more frustrating.

Added in 1 hour 10 minutes 12 seconds:
nameless wrote:
1 month ago
This means your tax cuts weren't really worth it to you.

But to guys like Trump infrastructure doesn't matter because all around them where they live they've created a beautiful area for them to live in. They don't need infrastructure as much as you do because they don't use as much infrastructure as you do. They have private planes and the take off into the air from their residences. They land at strips and then they're taken to their destinations. Sometimes they land their helicopters at their destinations because their destinations have helicopter landing pads. These guys don't see and cope with the ugly deteriorating infrastructure as much as you do so they don't care. Their issue is that they just want to pay less taxes. Period.

These guys are trying to make their own general areas in the US perfect and they could care less about the rest of the country. Last I heard one of them, the guy who runs Dominoes Pizza, was trying to create a whole beautiful right-wing town where everything would be nice inside while the infrastructure and harmony would be falling apart outside of it.
Yes and no.

If someone wants to give me $100, $1,000, $10,000, etc I'll take it, sure. I took my tax cut.

But I'm not delusional. I don't consider myself a self-made man. This is what people look like without civilization:
That's what I'd look like too. That's what Trump would look like too though he probably thinks that he'd still be a billionaire.

My livelihood emerges from the fact that I can contribute to a vibrant civilization, rather than the alternative of picking berries and cooking snake soup. Given that, my preference is for there to be more investments in civilization. If that happens, the rest will likely work out just fine for me.

On the other hand, if the US collapses, it won't matter if I have twice as many technical skills as I have now, US$ 300,000 in the bank, reserves of supplies, etc, I'll still be living a shittier life.

Trump is an economic parasite. He is rich without having contributed. As are many rich people. They don't realize it, but if the parasite kills the host, the parasites will die too.

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

That Guy wrote:
1 month ago

Sometimes I think about moving to Canada but it's just too darn cold in the winter.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

nameless wrote:
1 month ago
Sometimes I think about moving to Canada but it's just too darn cold in the winter.
I think that British Columbia is warmer than where you are.