Making sense of the current political climate

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by pjhair » 2 weeks ago

yettee wrote:
2 weeks ago
In your view, should it be legal for a completely private entity that did not receive any govt benefits such as a tax subsidy to set up a factory, hire 500 people, pay them $2 an hour and require them to work 20 hours a day in order to retain employment? While screaming racial epithets at the workers throught the day?
Of course a private entity should be able to do all that. The question is why would a worker subject himself or herself to working in such an acrimonious and harsh environment? They can always leave and find a more friendly employer.

Do you have any argument as to why a private entity shouldn't be able to do that? I am willing to change my mind if you can give me convincing argument.

yettee
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 2 weeks ago

pjhair wrote:
2 weeks ago
Of course a private entity should be able to do all that. The question is why would a worker subject himself or herself to working in such an acrimonious and harsh environment? They can always leave and find a more friendly employer.

Do you have any argument as to why a private entity shouldn't be able to do that? I am willing to change my mind if you can give me convincing argument.
http://americanhistory.si.edu/sweatshops/history

pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by pjhair » 1 week ago

I will read about sweatshops and get back to you at some point in coming weeks. There are times when I don't want to think or discuss mentally heavy stuff online and just want to take it easy. I am in that phase right now :D

My school started a few weeks ago. Trying to balance that with my full time job is taking up a lot of my mental energy :D :D

CaptainForehead
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: Avoid mirrors and other reflective surfaces

Post by CaptainForehead » 1 week ago

pjhair wrote:
1 week ago
My school started a few weeks ago. Trying to balance that with my full time job is taking up a lot of my mental energy :D :D
Which University did you finally choose?

You did not take a break from your job?

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 1 week ago

pjhair wrote:
2 weeks ago
I am willing to change my mind if you can give me convincing argument.
Lol the Liberal mindset of expressing a convincing argument:

"I'll just post a vague link without saying anything :thumbup: "
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

yettee
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by yettee » 1 week ago

Rudiger wrote:
1 week ago
Lol the Liberal mindset of expressing a convincing argument:

"I'll just post a vague link without saying anything :thumbup: "
OK, I hope this helps you:

Given the experience of living in a society with sweatshops, various movements arose to ensure that they would no longer be legal. There is currently no movement to make them legal again. Read that link to learn about what they were like, and thus why for example it is now illegal to "hire 500 people, pay them $2 an hour and require them to work 20 hours a day in order to retain employment, while screaming racial epithets at the workers through the day" (see a few posts ago).
Last edited by yettee 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 1 week ago

The best political event of 2019 (most likely) had somehow escaped me for a day. I'll get to that in a minute, to put things in perspective.

I think my favourite political news story of 2018 was the Liberal reaction to Allie Stuckey's obvious and intentional mock/parody video of her "interview" with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. There was a lot of competition (I could do a top 10, easily) but something about this struck me in such an even balance of being annoyed, and finding it hilarious. Stuckey's video didn't even attempt to try and pretend this was a real interview, the lighting was totally different, the sound, the fucking room was different! But we had Democrats reacting like "Oh you know they're scared of AOC when they have to try and fake interviews!" or "They talk about fake news and then clearly make a fake video? Were they even trying?"

No, they weren't trying, they never thought anyone would be stupid enough to mistake this as an actual attempt at faking an interview. What makes it even more baffling is that Colbert did the exact same thing with Trump only a few days before, except his video was professionally done from a team who is behind a show that generates millions, and it actually looked much closer to real, and of course the left were completely silent about it.

And of course they should have been, this kind of parody interview style happens constantly, it's happening all the time in comedy and particularly among leftist comedians on mainstream TV (which is, pretty much all of them) John Oliver, Trevor Noah, Kimmel, SNL, and normally they do a fucking awful job of it (although I'm probably one of the only right leaning people who think Baldwin's Trump impression has it's moments, but that being said, anyone doing a decent Trump impression is somewhat funny to me).

I thought there was a lot of layers to how awful and hilarious this whole episode was, sure there was potentially more outrageous and hilarious things in 2018 (Elizabeth Warren's DNA test with fauxcahontas being 1/1124th part Indian, though technically that part could be Latin American anyway, and she's recently apologised about it which is a fucking joke, many months later as she's running for office, and the apology itself isn't exactly clear) but yes, something about this story was in equal balance cringey, infuriating, hilarious, and interesting.

But this story on Ralph Northam blows that right out of the water. Along with everything else from 2018.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/03/us/p ... ginia.html

This is absolutely amazing. From the party of tolerance and anti-fascism, the party of hatred towards Nazi Trump and the KKK GOP, unbelievable.

Even better is that he has only admitted to being in the same room as this incident, he "isn't sure" if he took the time to put on blackface and stand beside someone in a fucking Klan uniform.

What being "not sure" tells you is that this is not an irregular thing for him. I and anyone else would definitely remember doing such a thing, even if it was 40 years ago, even if it was the 70's and it wasn't as politically incorrect, you are never going to forget putting on blackface, and standing beside someone in a KKK costume. By him insisting he isn't completely sure if he did it, he's basically saying it's not that weird, it's like "shit who knows? Coulda been me. I can't remember every car I've ever drove either. Who doesn't put on blackface and stand beside a Klan member every know and then? Right?"

Added in 47 minutes 42 seconds:
yettee wrote:
1 week ago
OK, I hope this helps you:

Given the experience of living in a society with sweatshops, various movements arose to ensure that they would no longer be legal. There is currently no movement to make them legal again. Read that link to learn about what they were like, and thus why for example it is now illegal to "hire 500 people, pay them $2 an hour and require them to work 20 hours a day in order to retain employment, while screaming racial epithets at the workers through the day" (see a few posts ago).
Actually y'know what, that was pretty dickheaded of me to talk about you vaguely like a crazy libtard and as if you weren't in the room (so to speak). Sorry about that.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

yettee
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by yettee » 1 week ago

Rudiger wrote:
1 week ago
Actually y'know what, that was pretty dickheaded of me to talk about you vaguely like a crazy libtard and as if you weren't in the room (so to speak). Sorry about that.
No problem, thanks for saying that.

PS there are no "libtards" 8-)

pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

CaptainForehead wrote:
1 week ago
I ended up choosing UT Dallas. I remember you advising me against it but NYU was too expensive (160K in total including living costs!). I also got into Georgia Tech last year but even that university would have cost me 100K. At UTD, I get in state tuition so my loan wouldn't go past 30k. The good news is that I am learning a LOT! Some UTD professors are shitty but for those classes I just watch free lecture videos uploaded by UC Berkley and MIT. That has been immensely helpful. Many students from UTD have gone on to work for Google, Microsoft and Amazon so if I put in the right amount of work, I will end up at a good place.
CaptainForehead wrote:
1 week ago
Actually I did quit my job in August. I started working again a couple of months ago as I needed money to help my father with his medical expenses. I will probably quit my job in Fall or so. Right now I can get away with working full time because all the classes are in the evening. That wouldn't always be the case. Plus I do want to focus 100% on my college. It's A LOT of fun. If I had some savings, I would definitely quit my job. But like an idiot, I blew away all the money I earned in parties, traveling, etc. :worried: :worried:

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » 1 week ago

pjhair wrote:
1 week ago
I ended up choosing UT Dallas. I remember you advising me against it but NYU was too expensive (160K in total including living costs!). I also got into Georgia Tech last year but even that university would have cost me 100K. At UTD, I get in state tuition so my loan wouldn't go past 30k. The good news is that I am learning a LOT! Some UTD professors are shitty but for those classes I just watch free lecture videos uploaded by UC Berkley and MIT. That has been immensely helpful. Many students from UTD have gone on to work for Google, Microsoft and Amazon so if I put in the right amount of work, I will end up at a good place.
Google and Amazon. The breeding places for lefties insanity and their censorship of everything against their agenda.

You should already write your diversity/motivation essay in advance.

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 1 week ago

When we see celebrities try to get their "15 minutes of more fame", so to speak, it appears that
they are viewed as political, although it really isn't.

This happens all the time. It's just a way to make news and get attention.

CaptainForehead
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

pjhair wrote:
1 week ago
I blew away all the money I earned in parties, traveling, etc. :worried: :worried:
What kind of parties did you blow money on? :wtf:

So long as you're proactive, you should do well with UTD 8-)

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » 1 week ago

CaptainForehead wrote:
1 week ago
Celebrating the gay marriage vote.
Stand behind your man.

pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

CaptainForehead wrote:
1 week ago

So long as you're proactive, you should do well with UTD 8-)
Parties can get expensive. For example, if you want to book a vip area in high end clubs, it can end up spending a couple of thousand dollars in just one night. I used to do that a lot.

CaptainForehead
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

pjhair wrote:
1 week ago
Parties can get expensive. For example, if you want to book a vip area in high end clubs, it can end up spending a couple of thousand dollars in just one night. I used to do that a lot.
:shock: :shock: :wtf: :wtf: