Making sense of the current political climate

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by Admin » 3 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago
There is actually a state called Louisiana (I've been there), they had an actual election there, where the Republicans actually usually win, and this time the Republicans actually lost.
That part is true, the rest, the framing Politico uses and everything around it is probably mostly lies. I won't bother checking since as I've said many times now, the mainstream media has lost my trust a long time ago. My conscience will not allow me to deny what's obvious.

They could just say the above, but no, it's about how Orange Man Bad. Everything is about that for them since June 16th 2015.
"Along the way some boys started making fun of him by shouting, “Go away, baldy! Get out of here!” Elisha turned around and stared at the boys. Then he cursed them in the name of the Lord. At once two bears ran out of the woods and ripped to pieces 42 of the boys." - 2 Kings 23-24

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 3 weeks ago

Admin wrote:
3 weeks ago
Lol Politico.

I’ve posted that politico Hillary campaign Ukraine collusion article multiple times complaining about how it’s completely ignored and show so much hypocrisy. Funny now not just ignored but lied out of existence.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.

JLBB wrote:
3 weeks ago
I’ve posted that politico Hillary campaign Ukraine collusion article multiple times complaining about how it’s completely ignored and show so much hypocrisy. Funny now not just ignored but lied out of existence.
Sadly, those people have no rules, no conscience, no morals. They'll make up everything as they go, get proven wrong dozens of times and be given a pass by everyone that is a part of the "respected" establishment. There's no excuse for it, and at a point, you just run run out of patience, compassion and forgiveness towards them.

I'll forgive them when they repent and apologize for all their lies, deceit and smear campaigns, which is never going to happen. They won't stop until the West is in flames, and even then, they'll put the blame on people like us, people who call out their BS.
"Along the way some boys started making fun of him by shouting, “Go away, baldy! Get out of here!” Elisha turned around and stared at the boys. Then he cursed them in the name of the Lord. At once two bears ran out of the woods and ripped to pieces 42 of the boys." - 2 Kings 23-24

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 3 weeks ago

Orange man went to Louisiana and he himself made the election about Orange man. He wanted it that way. As did the candidate there.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

yettee wrote:
3 weeks ago
Orange man went to Louisiana and he himself made the election about Orange man. He wanted it that way. As did the candidate there.

"The comments on this video were disabled".

Sorry yettee, I try to pick up on what matters.

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Admin wrote:
3 weeks ago

What does that mean? It's video. It's not fake video, or out of context video.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 3 weeks ago

yettee wrote:
3 weeks ago

I hate when politicians are honest.
me me me me I'm the omniscient and compassionate Rudiger

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

yettee wrote:
3 weeks ago
What does that mean? It's video. It's not fake video, or out of context video.
It means it does not matter. And it's about what part of what speech they decide to show.

What matters is that the mainstream media (here Associated Press) do not want people to speak and disable the comments on their videos.

They can't have anyone tell the truth and get their comments upvoted under their propaganda videos.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 3 weeks ago

Admin wrote:
3 weeks ago

YouTube comments sections are among the shallowest and most useless. Shutting those down is equivalent to closing your windows when you hear idiots screaming outside. It's simply reducing noise pollution.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

"I do still post to criticise others" - Rudiger.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago
YouTube comments sections are among the shallowest and most useless. Shutting those down is equivalent to closing your windows when you hear idiots screaming outside. It's simply reducing noise pollution.
That's a nice view to have of other people: screaming idiots who produce noise pollution.

I've found a lot of wealth and wisdom in YouTube comments, much more than I'll ever find in mainstream media articles.

That says a lot really, the media can't even compete with YouTube comments when it comes to usefulness and relevancy.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 3 weeks ago

Admin wrote:
3 weeks ago
That's a nice view to have of other people: screaming idiots who produce noise pollution.

I've found a lot of wealth and wisdom in YouTube comments, much more than I'll ever find in mainstream media articles.

That says a lot really, the media can't even compete with YouTube comments when it comes to usefulness and relevancy.
It's just pretentious snobbery, this was not an actual opinion, it was another vague attempt at proving he's above the rest of us peasants who read comments on YouTube or any other platform.

Stick to the "real" news which is from journalists with degrees, always sourced, fair and balanced.

But really that was among Afro's most idiotic posts ever, I'd like to see him expose people in YouTube comment sections and debate how they're all idiots screaming over each other. For the most part I find the upvoted YouTube comments are normally the most witty and informative, maybe Afro doesn't get as many upvotes on there as he does here and his other dozen forums, so bitterness ensues.
me me me me I'm the omniscient and compassionate Rudiger

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Admin wrote:
3 weeks ago
It means it does not matter. And it's about what part of what speech they decide to show.
You know I hear you on this. I don't disagree. But it works both ways. During the Obama years I watched FOX News pretty often to get the anti-Obama-biased point of view. Yes, that's what it was, but with that came clips and takes on things that I couldn't get from left-biased media. The same is true today in reverse, if there's a clip that makes the current president look bad you'll have strain to find it on FOX or Breitbart etc. Without a doubt.

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 3 weeks ago

Hairblues wrote:
3 weeks ago
He’s a beta to you, yet he served in military.

Makes me question your definition of alpha vs beta.

I'm not into him but not for reasons you list.

In other news:

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/11/1 ... oss-071300
I don't think serving in the military makes you an alpha, even if there is a correlation relating to the physical tasks and risking your life. Serving a government, particularly the US government in its foreign policy escapades as a pawn with no real power (Buttigieg himself appearing to blindly support the war in Afghanistan for example) doesn't strike me as alpha, even if it is honourable to serve your country in the military. If you took away the fact that Buttigieg had served in the military and simply looked at the way he talks and acts, I think virtually anyone, particularly any woman wouldn't consider him an alpha and would likely recognise beta traits.

I mean the beta/alpha reference to Buttigieg is mainly silliness anyway. On policy, the claims he has made on the importance of narrative over policy as well as the stability of his policy positions over time he appears a superficial careerist. His candidacy largely forged by mainstream media focus and what basically looks like advertising that he seemed to pick up from O Rourke and Harris after they fell off the map. Realistically, I don't think he'd be a terrible president, potentially better than Obama and very likely more progressive but on the his policy flips alone its fair to say he is dishonest and a panderer.

Also from that article:

"Louisiana was especially difficult, despite its conservative tilt. Edwards has a record as a staunchly conservative Democrat. And critics of Rispone’s campaign contend that his reliance on TV ads as opposed to in-person events made it exceedingly difficult for the president to drag him to victory."

"Edwards, who opposes abortion rights and favors gun rights, handled Trump gingerly. He avoided criticizing the president and instead chose to highlight the visits he made to the White House during Trump’s tenure. At one point this year, Edwards even ran a TV ad promoting an upcoming presidential visit to the state.

Edwards, whom Trump dubbed "the failed far-left man" during his Thursday rally, gave the president a shout-out in his victory speech.

"Our shared love for Louisiana is always more important than the partisan differences that sometimes divide us,” Edwards told supporters. “And as for the president: God bless his heart.""

Doesn't exactly support a narrative you and others seem to be pushing that these positions were lost because of Trump.

Added in 8 minutes 45 seconds:
yettee wrote:
3 weeks ago

Well I mean if you actually listen to what Edwards says though he himself clearly emphasises that the only shot the Republican might have is nationalising the race because he didn't appeal to those who cared about issues in that specific state. He specifically asserts the race is about state issues. Orange man does what he always does, it doesn't fix a horrible candidate or the fact that Trump wasn't on the ballot, nor inherently relevant to the races issues.

Added in 11 minutes 7 seconds:
Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago
Yeah I just totally disagree with this, I mean honestly this is a bad comment itself. Largely the perspectives are singular and lack nuance, but Youtube media ranges from far right to far left and everything in between. There are plenty of non-partisan channels like Joe Rogan's with people from every side of the isle and largely they get along just fine with plenty of honest discussions. There's a huge amount of wit you'll see in top comments very often even if they aren't substantive in terms of information, and unlike twitter there is opportunity and existence of long form debates. It also gives you an opportunity to create channel of communication with the poster of the video. To say even a majority are idiots is nonsense, a majority might have singular perspectives and lack the ability to change their minds particularly in an internet setting, but there's plenty to learn even from people like that. Youtube comments sections are an example of how people really and honestly think, expressing themselves in an environment where they lack inhibition due to anonymity and are comfortable in the presence of a group they associate with. If opinions in that setting aren't interesting to you then you're not going to have a very accurate perspective on public opinion. People are typically much more honest in this context than in the real world too.

If you're going to shut your window to *everyone* commenting on Youtube, you're quickly going to turn into one of those screaming idiots without any nuance or understanding of the world you're living in. Twitter on the other hand I'd agree with you, when you say this about Youtube it sounds more like you don't spend a lot of time there to begin with, or don't engage with or read comments. On top of that because its typically rare for comments to be shut down, whenever they are it emphasises the fact that the person who posted the video made a conscious decision for a very specific reason to shut down discussion, or block a channel of communication to themselves which is largely unusual.

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

JLBB wrote:
3 weeks ago
Well I mean if you actually listen to what Edwards says though he himself clearly emphasises that the only shot the Republican might have is nationalising the race because he didn't appeal to those who cared about issues in that specific state. He specifically asserts the race is about state issues. Orange man does what he always does, it doesn't fix a horrible candidate or the fact that Trump wasn't on the ballot, nor inherently relevant to the races issues.
I don't disagree with anything you wrote here, actually. And neither does the Politico article. An easy response (not yours) to any media source a person doesn't like is to not read it, and say something like orange man bad (or liberal bad, for those on the left who refuse to watch FOX etc). But actually the article goes out of its way to make the point that although Trump did try to get these candidates into office, and the fact that it didn't work isn't good for him, in fact they were poor candidates and their losses were not due to his presence but actually in spite of it, and he has been and remains a popular figure in these states. Like this:

"Louisiana was especially difficult, despite its conservative tilt. Edwards has a record as a staunchly conservative Democrat. And critics of Rispone’s campaign contend that his reliance on TV ads as opposed to in-person events made it exceedingly difficult for the president to drag him to victory. Other senior Republicans described a haphazard campaign operation that often seemed to lack a clear message and strategy.

This loss has nothing to do with President Trump. He wasn't on the ballot,” said Lionel Rainey, a Louisiana-based GOP consultant who worked for Rispone’s primary opponent, GOP Rep. Ralph Abraham. “It's up to the candidate to convince the majority of voters to vote for him. Rispone's campaign failed to do that.”

“Simply aligning yourself with another politician, even the president, isn't enough,” added Rainey.

John Couvillon, a Louisiana-based pollster who typically works with Republicans, said an array of local challenges made Trump’s rescue mission hard. Rispone had struggled to win over Abraham supporters, and Edwards succeeded in driving up minority turnout.

Etc. That's a whole lot of quotage of the perspective of people on the right, a whole lot of explainage of their position that this was in no way Trump's fault, and it's solid journalism. And for whatever it's worth I'd agree that although it clearly would have been better for Trump had he been able to drag these guys into office, their losses probably do not say much at all about Trump's prospects in 2020.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 3 weeks ago

JLBB wrote:
3 weeks ago
I don't think serving in the military makes you an alpha, even if there is a correlation relating to the physical tasks and risking your life. Serving a government, particularly the US government in its foreign policy escapades as a pawn with no real power (Buttigieg himself appearing to blindly support the war in Afghanistan for example) doesn't strike me as alpha, even if it is honourable to serve your country in the military. If you took away the fact that Buttigieg had served in the military and simply looked at the way he talks and acts, I think virtually anyone, particularly any woman wouldn't consider him an alpha and would likely recognise beta traits.

I mean the beta/alpha reference to Buttigieg is mainly silliness anyway. On policy, the claims he has made on the importance of narrative over policy as well as the stability of his policy positions over time he appears a superficial careerist. His candidacy largely forged by mainstream media focus and what basically looks like advertising that he seemed to pick up from O Rourke and Harris after they fell off the map. Realistically, I don't think he'd be a terrible president, potentially better than Obama and very likely more progressive but on the his policy flips alone its fair to say he is dishonest and a panderer.

Also from that article:

"Louisiana was especially difficult, despite its conservative tilt. Edwards has a record as a staunchly conservative Democrat. And critics of Rispone’s campaign contend that his reliance on TV ads as opposed to in-person events made it exceedingly difficult for the president to drag him to victory."

"Edwards, who opposes abortion rights and favors gun rights, handled Trump gingerly. He avoided criticizing the president and instead chose to highlight the visits he made to the White House during Trump’s tenure. At one point this year, Edwards even ran a TV ad promoting an upcoming presidential visit to the state.

Edwards, whom Trump dubbed "the failed far-left man" during his Thursday rally, gave the president a shout-out in his victory speech.

"Our shared love for Louisiana is always more important than the partisan differences that sometimes divide us,” Edwards told supporters. “And as for the president: God bless his heart.""

Doesn't exactly support a narrative you and others seem to be pushing that these positions were lost because of Trump.

Added in 8 minutes 45 seconds:

Added in 11 minutes 7 seconds:

Yeah I just totally disagree with this, I mean honestly this is a bad comment itself. Largely the perspectives are singular and lack nuance, but Youtube media ranges from far right to far left and everything in between. There are plenty of non-partisan channels like Joe Rogan's with people from every side of the isle and largely they get along just fine with plenty of honest discussions. There's a huge amount of wit you'll see in top comments very often even if they aren't substantive in terms of information, and unlike twitter there is opportunity and existence of long form debates. It also gives you an opportunity to create channel of communication with the poster of the video. To say even a majority are idiots is nonsense, a majority might have singular perspectives and lack the ability to change their minds particularly in an internet setting, but there's plenty to learn even from people like that. Youtube comments sections are an example of how people really and honestly think, expressing themselves in an environment where they lack inhibition due to anonymity and are comfortable in the presence of a group they associate with. If opinions in that setting aren't interesting to you then you're not going to have a very accurate perspective on public opinion. People are typically much more honest in this context than in the real world too.

If you're going to shut your window to *everyone* commenting on Youtube, you're quickly going to turn into one of those screaming idiots without any nuance or understanding of the world you're living in. Twitter on the other hand I'd agree with you, when you say this about Youtube it sounds more like you don't spend a lot of time there to begin with, or don't engage with or read comments. On top of that because its typically rare for comments to be shut down, whenever they are it emphasises the fact that the person who posted the video made a conscious decision for a very specific reason to shut down discussion, or block a channel of communication to themselves which is largely unusual.
I love the diversity of *channels* on YouTube, the comments however are a waste of time. They tend to be short, flamey, and/or motivated by the lulz. They're either less interested in analysis and information or those that are don't get bumped to the top, which works out the same.

It has nothing to do with "shutting down information" or whatever. There are more sources of media than we can spend time on, and YouTube comments sections are simply characterized by a low signal to noise ratio.

Edited to add: Twitter us mostly a waste of time but can be curated. For example, I don't read every moron in the world when I check Twitter once every two weeks. I just read a few scientists who pose technical links and move on.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

"I do still post to criticise others" - Rudiger.