Making sense of the current political climate

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by Hairblues » 1 week ago

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day, Nizoral every other day

Post by Admin » 1 week ago

yettee wrote:
1 week ago
I understand that, just saying that it's very poorly written. You aren't a native speaker but your posts are much better for example, satire or not.
Does the article lose its meaning because of the poor writing (which to be frank, I didn't even detect)?

Does it now mean something else because of it?
"Along the way some boys started making fun of him by shouting, “Go away, baldy! Get out of here!” Elisha turned around and stared at the boys. Then he cursed them in the name of the Lord. At once two bears ran out of the woods and ripped to pieces 42 of the boys." - 2 Kings 23-24

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 1 week ago

Admin wrote:
1 week ago
Does the article lose its meaning because of the poor writing (which to be frank, I didn't even detect)?
I like a good satirical piece, but when I read the very poorly constructed line I quoted, I had no idea WTF the writer was trying to get at. So, yeah.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

yettee wrote:
1 week ago
I like a good satirical piece, but when I read the very poorly constructed line I quoted, I had no idea WTF the writer was trying to get at. So, yeah.
yettee wrote:
1 week ago
"The media who literally allowed the people to be preyed upon by the rich and powerful rather than run information that might harm their elite buddies assured the people they are on our side."
That one?

I get what it means. The media lies all the time to protect the leftist establishment, gets caught red-handed time and time again is like "don't worry guys, you can trust us, we still have your back!"

Did you get it or should I type slower?

Are we really analyzing satirical pieces? It's humor, it's funny because it's true. That's really something that worries me these days, Trump posts a photoshopped picture of him decorating the dog who helped kill Al Baghdadi and the media is like:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-fa ... da552b9ddd

One of my friends on Facebook was angry about it: "Doesn't your algorithm detect fake news? :x". For God's sake, it's a joke, and some of the media was playing along: "Trump will receive hero dog at the White House".

So the Babylon Bee was like:

https://babylonbee.com/news/picture-of- ... act-checks

Do people really have to take politics so seriously?
"Along the way some boys started making fun of him by shouting, “Go away, baldy! Get out of here!” Elisha turned around and stared at the boys. Then he cursed them in the name of the Lord. At once two bears ran out of the woods and ripped to pieces 42 of the boys." - 2 Kings 23-24

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Admin wrote:
1 week ago
That one?

I get what it means. The media lies all the time to protect the leftist establishment, gets caught red-handed time and time again is like "don't worry guys, you can trust us, we still have your back!"

Did you get it or should I type slower?
Yeah, that one. I at least clicked on the thing and read it and had a response to it, you know? :wtf: Which for sure is a more comprehensive response than "careful where you get your news from", which is your full response to the text of any and all articles from sources with a bias you don't like.

Admin wrote:
1 week ago
Do you know the Rush Limbaugh radio show? I think you might, as "using absurdity to get closer to the truth" is pretty much his tagline. Anyway, I was a Limbaugh listener for many years. His politics are on the right and I agree with almost nothing he says, but it's some high quality satire. He's a great speaker. So, no, I don't take politics so seriously that I can't get a good laugh from wherever it comes from. Do you listen to a lot of left wing radio?

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

yettee wrote:
1 week ago
Do you listen to a lot of left wing radio?
No because it's utterly devoid of... soul I would say? Deep meaning? Wittiness? I can't get anything of value from it.

Like this:

The most left-wing speakers I listen to is probably Tim Pool, then people like the Weinstein brothers (Brett and Eric) and Joe Rogan.

Some left-wing people got lost and give off this weird intolerant and self-censoring vibe. And the problem is that they got so far away from what matters, they usually make sense on a rational level, but to me it's like "yeah, OK, and?".

They're also set on sowing division, after all they're the only side that tells people that they should not speak to right-wing people, Republicans, anyone that is not exactly aligned with their ideology.

I don't care about your political leaning. I am myself left-wing and right-wing at the same time. I understand that sometimes mercy an compassion (the left side) are needed, and sometimes, justice and firmness (the right side) are needed.

As I've said before, right now, the West needs to be tilted to the right, to realize the value of some of the things we've built so far: tradition, religion, Western values, etc. A reintroduction of the importance of responsibility, of a bit of harshness, of difficulty, of difficult problems to solve in our privileged Western lives.

These days, the left basically says "we need to be always nice to everyone!" and "if you're not always nice, if you're ever mean, harsh or offensive, you're a despicable human being who deserves to be treated like scum!".

These weird contradictory mantras are pervasive in the content the modern left produces. It's not cool, it's not worth a listen, it's often really painful, so no, again, I don't believe there are both sides that are equal in value. I believe there is one side that is largely concerned with the truth, no matter the cost (deplatforming, being labeled a racist nazi bigot, becoming unemployable, etc.) and the other side that only cares about furthering its own interests and power, no matter the cost (reality, truth, ruining people's lives, etc.).

One side is deeply admirable and the other is deeply contemptible. To me there's just no way around it. The leftist in me cares about the oppressed, and right now the right is being oppressed by the left which has nearly all the cultural, journalistic and political power while acting like the poor victim (is that sentence too long or do you get it? ;)), funny how it works.

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Admin wrote:
1 week ago
being labeled a racist nazi bigot
You are no racist nazi bigot, and no one should ever label you that. But you address the actual racist nazi bigot problem with "its the left's fault and they're like the left and left left left" rather than "this is a real problem of the right, let's talk about the right". You can be sure that people on the left will continue to do the same with their own racists and problematic folks and also say "one side is deeply admirable and the other is deeply contemptible" and there will never be any progress.

I don't know, I think there are comics and satirists on the left that aren't so cringey. Chris Rock isn't cringey. Maybe it's a generational thing...

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by pjhair » 1 week ago

yettee wrote:
1 week ago
You can be sure that people on the left will continue to do the same with their own racists and problematic folks and also say "one side is deeply admirable and the other is deeply contemptible" and there will never be any progress.
I am sorry Yette but far left has gone mainstream. They dominate academia and media now. Extreme right is truly just limited to fringes. So yeah, right and left are not on even grounds and that's why a lot of us on the right exclusively criticize the left. This asymmetry is just limited to academia/media though. Thankfully, people in general are still more balanced. But leftist elites are clueless of that and that's why they are shocked when someone like president Trump wins the presidential election. They will continue to be shocked because they live in a bubble.

The most infuriating thing about far left is that they see themselves as "good" and "open minded". So naturally that precludes any possibility of introspection. That's precisely why they don't notice their own racist, bigoted, arrogant, sanctimonious and disgusting behavior and ideas.
Trump 2020

Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Admin wrote:
1 week ago
You said something like this not too long ago as well, that there is more to life than politics.

Which of course there is. To suggest most people disagree with this is just untrue as so many don’t even vote. (In USA at least)

But politics in the United States has been taken for granted for many years and now people take it very seriously because it’s affecting a lot of things for them they took for granted before.

As far as the satire it would be funny except a lot of people read headlines and assume they are true.
I honestly haven’t seen anyone upset over the dog so I sometimes feel like you home in on the crazy people to use as ‘the left’ and I’m sorry, the left now seems to be everyone who isn’t a Trunpster. Which is about 70% of the country since only 30% strongly support him I believe.

Also, you used to take politics very seriously from your posts and it wasn’t that long ago. You should go back and read some of your old posts in 2015 about politics. I don’t need to since I recall your tone in most of them was extremely serious and you seemed hyper focused on it at the time.

I notice something and it may be coincidental. But you seem to have this new mindset since the facts aren’t on your side at the moment to defend the big guy. I mean you can quote me another Bible verse or a fast talking Ben Shapiro clip. :wtf:

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hairblues wrote:
1 week ago
But you seem to have this new mindset since the facts aren’t on your side at the moment to defend the big guy. I mean you can quote me another Bible verse or a fast talking Ben Shapiro clip. :wtf:
Have you ever thought that the facts weren't on your side?

People pay attention to different facts, Trump supporters or even people who are neutral about him simply do not see what the people who are determined to bring him down at any cost see.

I can tell you right now, I don't see it, and I don't see it on many levels. I don't know what he did wrong exactly, I heard something about a quid pro quo, about withholding foreign help, something like that. Alright, as what happened before, it could be true, muh fast-talking boy Ben Shapiro had arguments to explain why it wasn't necessarily ill-intended.

But ultimately, even if it was true, meh, is it really that bad? What about mistakes? Like the fact that Kamala Harris and Bernie Sanders will not hesitate to say that there is a criminal in the White House, that alone tells me everything I need to know. It's this kind of over-the-top statement that narcissists cannot help blurting, convinced that they have the advantage and the moral high ground. This is not something you utter so lightly, and about that, we have to stop stamping people like this publicly, and we need to make room for forgiveness again.

I see clearly what's happening, "impeachment" Democrats are not doing this because they have higher ideals, no, they're still pissed that they lost and that they keep on losing relevancy and the trust of the public. They'll use anything, no matter how small or insignificant to destroy Trump. They are dying for a loophole they can exploit.

And again, there's only one side who is trying to play that game, who will refuse the results of democratic elections. The same is currently happening in Belgium where we still have no government. Why? The right and the far right largely won the last elections in Flanders, and the rainbow coalition (they sure can pick their names), the left is doing everything in its power to keep the right from governing.

This has to stop, the left has to be put in its place and to realize that it cannot keep rigging the game lest they end up crushing the spirit of democracy and Western Civilization themselves.

And now for the Bible verse:
Paul the Apostle wrote:"And I will keep on doing what I am doing in order to cut the ground from under those who want an opportunity to be considered equal with us in the things they boast about. For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve." - 2 Corinthians 11:12-15

Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Admin wrote:
1 week ago
Have you ever thought that the facts weren't on your side?

People pay attention to different facts, Trump supporters or even people who are neutral about him simply do not see what the people who are determined to bring him down at any cost see.

I can tell you right now, I don't see it, and I don't see it on many levels. I don't know what he did wrong exactly, I heard something about a quid pro quo, about withholding foreign help, something like that. Alright, as what happened before, it could be true, muh fast-talking boy Ben Shapiro had arguments to explain why it wasn't necessarily ill-intended.

But ultimately, even if it was true, meh, is it really that bad? What about mistakes? Like the fact that Kamala Harris and Bernie Sanders will not hesitate to say that there is a criminal in the White House, that alone tells me everything I need to know. It's this kind of over-the-top statement that narcissists cannot help blurting, convinced they have the advantage and the moral high ground. This is not something you utter so lightly, and about that, we have to stop stamping people like this publicly, and we need to make room for forgiveness again.

I see clearly what's happening, "impeachment" Democrats are not doing this because they have higher ideals, no, they're still pissed that they lost and that they keep on losing relevancy and the trust of the public. They'll use anything, no matter how small or insignificant to destroy Trump. They are dying for a loophole they can exploit.

And again, there's only one side who is trying to play that game, who will refuse the results of democratic elections. The same is currently happening in Belgium where we still have no government. Why? The right and the far right largely won the last elections in Flanders, and the rainbow coalition (they sure can pick their names), the left is doing everything in its power to keep the right from governing.

This has to stop, the left has to be put in its place and to realize that it cannot keep rigging the game lest they end up crushing the spirit of democracy and Western Civilization themselves.

And now for the Bible verse:
When facts are on your side you don’t need to do all that in your post.

Allowing a president to remain in office who went against the Constitution crushes the spirit of democracy. Left right up down blah blah blah.

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

pjhair wrote:
1 week ago
I am sorry Yette but far left has gone mainstream. They dominate academia and media now. Extreme right is truly just limited to fringes.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/extremist-rel ... d=60568464

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

You completely missed my point. Unlike extreme right, far lefties are actually dominating media/academia. They are mainstream.
Trump 2020

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

pjhair wrote:
1 week ago
You completely missed my point. Unlike extreme right, far lefties are actually dominating media/academia. They are mainstream.
But you missed my point. All the outrage here is for the left. I'd spread it around.

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

yettee wrote:
1 week ago
But you missed my point. All the outrage here is for the left. I'd spread it around.
But I pointed out why is that so. It's because we are NOT getting fair representation in media and academia. Why should the focus of my outrage be the fringes and not the mainstream??
Trump 2020