Making sense of the current political climate

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1187
Joined: 11 months ago
Reputation: 1582

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by blackg » 2 months ago

@Rudiger, I think the use of the term "fingerprints" was in the figurative sense.
marry me, Kaitlin

User avatar
Xexos
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 334
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 505
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Finasteride 1.25 MG ED .. Tea Tree Shampoo 3x a week
Age: 19

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by Xexos » 2 months ago

JLBB wrote:
2 months ago
Part of the issue for me I find in rating a top five is you have various potential picks like Nas who has one album that is virtually the pinnacle of 90s New York hip hop and places him top-tier in terms of character, storytelling and technique, but after that he put out nothing that even comes close. Not an album, not a song, not a feature after that in my opinion even rates to being any more than simply good. Another issue with one like Pac, I can understand from his persona and in portions, individual tracks or verses why he is considered top 5 by many but there isn't a single project he put out that reaches greatness or isn't filled with mediocre trash and even his fans usually acknowledge he has nothing in the realm of a Illmatic, a 36 chambers or a Reasonable Doubt for example. Musically his beats were also the least interesting of anyone in contention, he had some specific stellar examples but for the most part they could often be off any generic 90s hip hop album.

I tend to gravitate and think that greatness should be rated in a body of work and even if its just a short period, rather than as simply a persona or a few moments of artistic greatness. Also I think the beats, song and album structure are relevant, lyricism is worth little over dull and unsuitable or bland beats. Considering that I'd probably go Andre 3000, Jay-Z, Biggie, MF Doom, and Kanye. Most hiphop heads would probably question the Kanye mention specifically in the rapper category, but the reality is he objectively isn't any less lyrical than Pac ever was and in terms of being a craftsman of a great body of work that has also proved incredibly progressive for the genre, no one comes close to Kanye.
Found this online
Image


But seriously, my favorite rapper of all time is this guy
Image

User avatar
JLBB
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 464
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 967
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by JLBB » 2 months ago

Stan22 wrote:
2 months ago
Found this online
Image


But seriously, my favorite rapper of all time is this guy
Image
the-virgin-oldhead-the-chad-mumble-rapper-plays-an-excellent-27539078.png
the-virgin-oldhead-the-chad-mumble-rapper-plays-an-excellent-27539078.png (28.76 KiB) Viewed 655 times

User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1042
Joined: 11 months ago
Reputation: 1140
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by rclark » 2 months ago

Cohen just announced that that Trump was building his Tower, and working with Russians while
making a financial deals for himself. No surprise there.

I don't think it will change Republicans views about him. They knew this in the beginning and
just said "well he is building better relations with the Russians, shouldn't we have better
relations with other countries?"

There is a big witch hunt going on against Trump and his family. Part of me feels sorry for
him, because some of it is bullshit (Stormy Daniels got 100,000 dollars for a night with Trump,
who cares?).

This will make the Republicans popular again, only because this witch hunt won't amount to
anything, although it is all factual and true.

Bill Clinton was impeached for lying about one affair he had, this did backfire against Republicans,
who tried to get rid of him with impeachment, but they ultimately failed. They tried it in 1996, and
he served until January 2000.

User avatar
blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1187
Joined: 11 months ago
Reputation: 1582

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by blackg » 2 months ago

We need a more culturally diverse president.
marry me, Kaitlin

User avatar
Xexos
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 334
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 505
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Finasteride 1.25 MG ED .. Tea Tree Shampoo 3x a week
Age: 19

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by Xexos » 2 months ago

blackg wrote:
2 months ago
We need a more culturally diverse president.
If you want a future civil war maybe, then yes.

User avatar
JLBB
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 464
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 967
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by JLBB » 2 months ago

rclark wrote:
2 months ago
Cohen just announced that that Trump was building his Tower, and working with Russians while
making a financial deals for himself. No surprise there.

I don't think it will change Republicans views about him. They knew this in the beginning and
just said "well he is building better relations with the Russians, shouldn't we have better
relations with other countries?"

There is a big witch hunt going on against Trump and his family. Part of me feels sorry for
him, because some of it is bullshit (Stormy Daniels got 100,000 dollars for a night with Trump,
who cares?).

This will make the Republicans popular again, only because this witch hunt won't amount to
anything, although it is all factual and true.

Bill Clinton was impeached for lying about one affair he had, this did backfire against Republicans,
who tried to get rid of him with impeachment, but they ultimately failed. They tried it in 1996, and
he served until January 2000.
"was building his Tower,"

A deal wasn't even struck, let alone a tower being built. Ridiculous assertion.

Its also not illegal or even on the fringe of illegality to do business deals (he didn't even do in this case it was basic consults) with non-government citizens of a foreign nation. The US isn't at war with Russia, this is literally no different than engaging in business discussion with those in any other country.

On a more important note, he mentioned he knew of zero evidence of Russia collusion from Trump or the campaign. He also confirmed falsehoods in the Steele dossier which was paid for by the Clinton campaign to a foreign company and included supposed input of Russian intelligence.

You know the Russiagate nonsense has run completely off the rails as nothing but a showcase of leftist stupidity when they're literally making the cornerstone of their argument a business deal with Russian businessmen to build a tower as some sort of evidence of serious wrongdoing.

User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1042
Joined: 11 months ago
Reputation: 1140
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by rclark » 2 months ago

Now they are going after Trump's tax returns. Next they'll probably be saying he
used an expired coupon to get a discount off a food purchase. Unreal.

User avatar
Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 917
Joined: 11 months ago
Reputation: 2474
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by Rudiger » 2 months ago

JLBB wrote:
2 months ago
"was building his Tower,"

A deal wasn't even struck, let alone a tower being built. Ridiculous assertion.

Its also not illegal or even on the fringe of illegality to do business deals (he didn't even do in this case it was basic consults) with non-government citizens of a foreign nation. The US isn't at war with Russia, this is literally no different than engaging in business discussion with those in any other country.

On a more important note, he mentioned he knew of zero evidence of Russia collusion from Trump or the campaign. He also confirmed falsehoods in the Steele dossier which was paid for by the Clinton campaign to a foreign company and included supposed input of Russian intelligence.

You know the Russiagate nonsense has run completely off the rails as nothing but a showcase of leftist stupidity when they're literally making the cornerstone of their argument a business deal with Russian businessmen to build a tower as some sort of evidence of serious wrongdoing.
That is the most important note, unless you have Trump Derangement Syndrome. This should be massive news, for example it was widely reported Cohen was directly ordered to lie, now he's admitted this is false. He got out lots of as hominems but no evidence or even direct accusations of law breaking (though I wonder what the legalities are of vaguely calling someone a "con man" are, because that's a big call to have nothing to back it up with). It's so retarded though because when you vaguely insult Trump repeatedly, you are showing the bias against him and how you just want him to have broken the law.

But yes, Cohen cleared Trump of a lot of former accusations, and if this was any other situation of a President being cleared from such a long term investigation, it would be huge. There would practically be celebration.

With Trump? All I can see is brushing under the rug, alluding to how one part of Cohen's testimony may lead to evidence of Russian collusion, and leaving out the part that several other statements completely absolve Trump (and I've read 3 articles about this at least and I'm still baffled as to the thought process). Or writing about how from Mueller "we may not get what we want to hear" I've seen similar headlines a handful of times, hilarious.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1042
Joined: 11 months ago
Reputation: 1140
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by rclark » 2 months ago

Presidents should not use their influence to for their businesses, and that's the problem that
I see. Trump is definitely not the only one guilty of this. He is planning to put his Trump hotels
globally, and seems to have no problem making business deals while he is in office.

This practice needs to end in the United States, for all Presidents and Vice Presidents.

What does make Trump different than past Presidents is his appointment of family members. I've
never seen a President appoint so many family members to senior positions. It's obvious that his two
oldest sons are just taking orders from their dad on the Trump family business. The fact that Trump
hired his daughter and son in law in high positions, and got them security clearances, is abusing his
power. Trump doesn't even give a shit.

Trump is certainly not the only President to spend most of their free time playing golf. That has
been happening for as long as I've been voting, which has been at since the late 1980s.

User avatar
pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 460
Joined: 11 months ago
Reputation: 1329

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by pjhair » 2 months ago

JLBB wrote:
2 months ago
The only reason you believe this is because of personal experience though. If you were living in a foreign country without the social benefits, human rights and freedom that exists in the Western world the idea you'd think this is laughable, because it is. Especially in the black and white manner you're presenting it.

"violate liberty of a completely private entity."

Look at the elite CEOs in the United States for example, particularly the big tech monopolies. These "private entities" are at the end of the day driven to some extent by ideology of those that run them, virtually all of which support and lobby for mass immigration, censorship, dictating what people can say and see, a globalist approach to business and employment, Advocating heavily in the realm of identity politics to virtue signal and misdirect people from genuine social issues, and climate change related spending which consistently hurts the poor to a far greater extent in power prices and general cost of living with ample data showing it to be the case. They are more than happy to violate the quality of life of the general population and are not non-biased creations solely looking to profit or most effectively compete in the market, look at the actions of Youtube or Patreon banning conservatives, Google highlighting less popular liberal outlets over more popular conservative news in searches, or advertisers pulling ads on Tucker Carlson's show for example. The problem is that even in a free market these issues don't magically fix themselves due to competition. Same in terms of job selection. If companies and the people in charge had their way with absolutely zero advocacy or intervention of government, the majority of the population would see a drastic decrease in quality of life to the point of living in complete poverty, virtually no one would personally benefit and life quality becomes dependent on luck. There's no getting around this.

Ask yourself the question of whether you'd have preferred to be born a random citizen in Denmark or Australia, vs China or India and so should anyone else who supports free market at all costs. The reality is that if you were born a poor Chinese villager in a rural town, your life trajectory has been virtually completely decided on probability, the idea you'd be happy to risk being born in a society with terrible workers rights because you can always choose not to work is a dogshit, a completely moronic and thoughtless lie. Only in the select Western countries with strong minimum wages, workers rights, selective government subsidies in education and a reasonable healthcare system have you have reached a point where the average citizen has control of their life.

I mean seriously, when people say this a small part of me wishes they could be reborn in the circumstances of a Chinese sweatshop worker to reevaluate how completely stupid what they said is. Why not support mass third world immigration while you're at it because apparently all that matters in your view is economic numbers and corporate sovereignty, which of course are both more important than the lives of 95% of the population? Jordan Peterson's mentality has a valid place in the West, in a world you're proposing no amount of pulling up bootstraps is going to save you from a shitty life of literal servitude to an upperclass who got there based primarily on luck if you're unlucky enough to be born there.

Maybe I'm misreading you and you're not advocating exactly what I think you are, but your response to Yettee sounded literally like you were saying you wanted a *completely* free market in regards to labor.

"The question is why would a worker subject himself or herself to working in such an acrimonious and harsh environment? They can always leave and find a more friendly employer."

Like, I can't even believe anyone is nutty enough to think this. I actually think Yettee's response with a sweatshop definition was worthwhile because your initial point was so batshit crazy that it didn't warrant an argument but a reality check.
You are taking my statements and applying to contexts they were never intended to. My focus was very narrow. Please reread the discussion that Yetti and I were having since the beginning.

User avatar
yettee
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 231
Joined: 8 months ago
Reputation: 636
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by yettee » 1 month ago

pjhair wrote:
3 months ago
I am not sure what history of sweatshops has to do with my position on the issue. Can you summarize your argument? I don't know what am I supposed to make out of the entire history of sweatshop. My argument is very simple:

"If employees don't like the way they are treated at a work place, they have option to simply leave. They usually have good knowledge of work conditions before they accept a job. They therefore lose the moral right to demand legal actions against the employer regarding work conditions. They could have simply not accepted the job. I really don't see any good reason for a government to violate liberty of a completely private entity."

Can you please directly respond to my argument above?
I feel like this discussion is old, but I didn't want to leave you hanging on the question you asked above, so I'll respond to it. I don't have any problem, nor do the vast majority of people, with government requiring that workplaces meet a certain level of safety, minimum wage, etc. You see it as outside what govt. should be able to regulate, and that's fine, so we just have a difference of opinion about what govt. should be allowed to do, in the same way that you think landlords should be able to legally discriminate based solely on race and I (and I believe most people) absolutely do not.

The one point I'd make though is that you seem to think that if all such regulations governing workplace safety, minimum wage etc. disappeared, and a business or two decided to implement sweatshop like conditions, it would be no problem as workers would just go somewhere else. In fact what would happen, and what did happen, is that tons of workplaces would stop worrying about paying anything approaching living wage, maintaining safety, etc. Tax incentives to meet minimum safety standards etc, as I think you suggested in another post, or any other kind of incentive, wouldn't come close matching the increased profit company owners would receive by being completely unregulated. Work conditions would plummet in lots of workplaces, it would be (and was) a disaster for society, as was the case in US history and in every country at present where businesses are free to do whatever they want, are free to implement any workplace conditions they want sans any regulation whatsoever. A sad race to the bottom.

I don't think it's anti-capitalist, anti-freedom to have sane laws that protect people from egregious maltreatment. Regardless, I understand and respect your opinion.

To the point about your opinion supporting racist housing discrimination being very much in the minority, heres the Trump administration today enthusiastically suing Facebook for making it possible for landlords to discriminate based on race.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/28/us/p ... ation.html

C4L
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 121
Joined: 9 months ago
Reputation: 203
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: dropped finasteride after almost 2 years

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by C4L » 1 month ago

Trump is just unstoppable...

He can’t stop winning

User avatar
Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 917
Joined: 11 months ago
Reputation: 2474
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by Rudiger » 1 month ago

C4L wrote:
1 month ago
Trump is just unstoppable...

He can’t stop winning
It's been such a great week I just don't want it to stop.

This video from Tucker perfectly illustrates how the dynamic intentionally changed to swiftly from the left:



And what's even better? The audience changed swiftly over to Fox more than CNN since Monday, a lot of people interested to see the other side are seeing Tucker repeat this nightly and understanding why they have been so blind.

I don't even think many Liberals truly believed in collusion, or at least from my experience of asking them, that hope started to die down after about 1-2 years in to the investigation and the last several months have just been a whimpering, exhausted halt.

It's so crazy to think for at least 2 years we would have daily stories running about how they've really nailed him this time, and every 6-8 weeks "it's finally over! Impeachment is inevitable now..." with aftermath of weeks and weeks of how he's nailed, and any day or any second now....

Years of impeachment blue balling.

But yes, for most every day Liberal who doesn't spend time in their day or even week really looking in to politics, I don't think most truly believed it after a while anyway. Or at least if you were to ask them specifically, they would cave without a second thought, that they don't really know, or they don't believe it.

With the constant media circus around these buzzwords of collusion and impeachment creating a white noise, incidents like this really do make people wake up and realise that the vague thing they kinda believed in but just got used to hearing about every week? It's total bullshit. I thought the MS-13 lie or Covington lie was blatant enough, but this blows everything else out of the water.

So now when CNN and MSNBC suddenly start telling them that all of a sudden, health care is a major issue again because Trump mentioned it for literally 30 seconds last week, they run with this non-stop.

They've already ran with this before, as a side show to Russian collusion, according to Maddow all Americans should have had thousand dollar doctor appointments 2 years ago.

It's going to take even more for me to say "nobody is buying it anymore" but significantly more people are not buying it anymore, and deep down if they were to truly think about it, they never really bought it, the Mueller investigation spells that out to them.

That's not to say most people on the left will ever truly convert or support Trump, but will they still continue to constantly be fooled by the mainstream media? When they were told Trump's economic plan was so ridiculous a 1st year economics student could figure out in minutes that it was physically impossible, and a year later the country had not only met these ambitious GDP expectations, but exceeded them. When they were told Korea is about to nuke both China and probably America any day now, and within months a 70 year long civil war has suddenly cooled to peace.

And now a health care plan where Trump hasn't yet outlined every single detail (which is, pretty fucking standard?!) means that your health insurance and your family's illnesses are suddenly in the trash, are as many people going to believe it?

A lot still will, I'm under no disillusion, but that number gets a little smaller every day.

He's in great shape for 2020, even after the mid-terms I thought very good shape, but as far as needing 7 of the 13 keys to the white house, he's gonna have a few left over at this rate.

And the extra kicker? Is there even one decent and credible Democrat ready to run against him? Bernie's own endorsement of democratic socialists has already chipped away at his credibility and the corporate Dems will just extinguish him out of the race anyway. Biden is most popular right now and Trump will have that, creepy uncle Joe running in the #MeToo era? He's practically a Dem version of Trump except his blatant creepiness has been endlessly caught on tape and in photos. Beto O'Rourke is a PR nightmare waiting to happen and constant laughing stock. Kamala Harris would be my pick out of the current bunch, and similar to Beta in terms of her publicity stunts, and most importantly none of these figures have anything fresh to offer that will actually catch the voting public.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Hilldawg is waiting on the call. Only up to 6 months ago it was polled a handful of times that she would be outright favorite to run for the Dems again, and by some insane margins (a CNN poll from about a year ago had her at over 50%, with over a dozen other potential nominees therefore not even making up her popularity combined). Bannon called it this week and he's not the only one who still thinks it, as much as the establishment Democrats do not want it, they have little option, and Hillary's insistence she's not running could be some dramatic stunt where she decides instead "y'know I just had to do it - for my country and the evil that faces it".

And besides that there's Waters, Pelosi, Warren, just a laughing stock.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests