Riots spreading across the United States

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Norwood: NW3.5
Regimen: Alcohol coping mechanism

Post by blackg » 3 months ago

nameless wrote: 3 months ago The riots are starting to seem serious.

African Americans are saying that they're trying to protest peacefully but the white protesters among them are committing violence.
You only have to watch a few seconds of news footage to realize this narrative is bunkum.
Me and my friends are like, double-whiskey-coke-no-ice.

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 3 months ago

blackg wrote: 3 months ago You only have to watch a few seconds of news footage to realize this narrative is bunkum.
There's all kinds of footage out there.

PS mod alert! are there currently 2 different community coffee shop threads?

https://thegrio.com/2020/05/29/masked-w ... e-windows/

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/30/salt-lak ... -attacked/

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 3 months ago

yettee wrote: 3 months ago There's all kinds of footage out there.

PS mod alert! are there currently 2 different community coffee shop threads?

https://thegrio.com/2020/05/29/masked-w ... e-windows/

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/30/salt-lak ... -attacked/
I don't blame Americans who are black being pissed off. The guy wasn't even arrested until days later. It
was only when they saw the video of the man being killed by the officer's knee did they fire the other three
who were standing around him.

If I had the coronavirus right now, there are some people I would DEFINITELY COUGH on. Here's one:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cant-breathe ... 00032.html

I wouldn't even be surprised if the officer only received eighteen months. America is full of racist assholes
who do this kind of shit. It's amazing that the autopsy said it wasn't from the knee, when clearly the video
says otherwise.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Is there any footage of the interaction between Mr. Floyd and the police before the officer felt the need to kneel on his neck?

How cooperative was Mr. Floyd to begin with?

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

blackg wrote: 3 months ago Is there any footage of the interaction between Mr. Floyd and the police before the officer felt the need to kneel on his neck?

Apparently he was not cooperative to get into the police car and sat on the ground. Anyway, it's irrelevant. Once the guy is cuffed and subdued there's no reason to murder him. In the US, even much of the virtually always police-supporting right says the same.

On his syndicated radio show on Thursday, Mr. Limbaugh expressed dismay at the actions of the police. “Look, you people in law enforcement know I’m at the top of the list of people who support you and understand how hard your jobs are,” he told listeners. “I still — given all of that, do not … I cannot find a way to explain that. I can’t find a way to justify it. I don’t care what the guy did.”

Johnson
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by Johnson » 3 months ago

Its not surprising that a man was killed by a cop. I'm surprised by other peoples surprise. Its nothing new. I'm glad to see the public are pissed off enough to take to the streets and show their rage (I just wish they selected where and how they displayed that rage).

I'm cynical at change and not sure if anything will come of all this. I'm also cynical of the cop being sentenced to prison.

Another thing I've learned over the years after a lot of travel is how common racism is throughout the world. We often portray it as a western disease but its not. The academic circus theorise that it needs to come from a position of power. Its not true. I've seen and heard it targeted at all ethnicities.

I've seen Russians and Chinese being turned away from hotels. I've seen my indian ex being called a 'paki' on the streets a number of times. Black people not being employed at certain schools (lest it scare the kids). I've seen arabs mocked in street and people shouting alah akbah and making bomb noises. Seen black friends having their hair grabbed like they were zoo animals. Gypsies getting chased off the streets in Bosnia. White people getting expelled from restaurants and coffee shops in vietnam during corona. Asian girls being generalized as docile idiots who white worship etc.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

yettee wrote: 3 months ago Apparently he was not cooperative to get into the police car and sat on the ground. Anyway, it's irrelevant. Once the guy is cuffed and subdued there's no reason to murder him.
Ahhh... This changes things. Do you seriously think the police officer tried to murder him?

Why not just get in the car?

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

blackg wrote: 3 months ago Ahhh... This changes things. Do you seriously think the police officer tried to murder him?

Why not just get in the car?
Ahhh... It changes nothing. Refusal to enter a car does not equal a death sentence in the United States. As far as I know he had no deadly weapon and was not violently resisting, but certainly once restrained and in handcuffs he couldn't resist. The guy had his knee on George Floyd's neck for several minutes. Then, as one would expect, he died. Eric Garner died the same way in NY. It's well known that this maneuver is lethal, which is why many police departments completely ban it for any amount of time, but certainly for minutes on end. If you don't see this as murder you're one of the very few.

https://www.wfsb.com/surveillance-video ... f9598.html

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

yettee wrote: 3 months ago Ahhh... It changes nothing. Refusal to enter a car does not equal a death sentence in the United States. As far as I know he had no deadly weapon and was not violently resisting, but certainly once restrained and handcuffs he couldn't resist, and that isn't claimed here. The guy had his knee on George Floyd's neck for several minutes. He pleaded that he couldn't breathe. Onlookers screamed the same. Then, as one would expect, he died. Eric Garner said the same in NY before he was killed by police. This maneuver is lethal, which is why many police departments completely ban it for any amount of time, but certainly for minutes on end. If you don't see this is murder you're one of the very, very few.
I don't think it was murder, I think it was a situation that got out of hand. A situation amplified by the fact someone that was filming it.

Sure this police officer was a bit rogue but I can guarantee he has most likely used this maneuver on other men in the past. Black men, white men, yellow men and so on.
The reason the cameras (phones) came out this time is because the image of a white officer kneeling on the neck of a black man is so visually jarring -- and news worthy.
Plus it paints a convenient narrative. A narrative gullibly swallowed by comfortable whites. That of the racist white police officer.
I don't buy it.

Need I remind you that Floyd was 6-foot-6, had an athletic build and towerd over the officers?
This is not insignificant as police are human too and once their fear responses kick in can easily overreact.
Anyway I have a small bit of advice for anyone suspected of using a fake 20 dollar bill-- or suspected of any crime for that matter:

If a police officer asks you to get in the squad car, get in the car!
Don't drop to the ground and be obstinate. Causing a situation in which the police have to use excessive force.

Besides, these protests have moved far beyond a reaction to George Floyd's unfortunate death.
His memory is being debased.
Last edited by blackg 3 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

blackg wrote: 3 months ago The reason the cameras (phones) came out this time is because the image of a white officer kneeling on the neck of a black man is so visually jarring -- and news worthy.
Plus it paints a convenient narrative. A narrative gullibly swallowed by comfortable whites. That of the racist white police officer.
I don't buy it.
As I said, in this instance you have very little company in your position. It's not just the left, minorities, and gullible, 'comfortable whites' as you put it, but the hard right that has reliably defended the police in virtually all instances for years. Like Jeanine Pirro, the former Republican district attorney, close ally of Trump and strongest defender of the police on FOX:

“George Floyd was begging, saying he couldn’t breathe, saying please, please. This man who put his knee on the neck of George Floyd does not deserve to be free in this country.”

So while of course there's a lot of debate on the conduct of the bystanders, and rightfully so, there's also very little on the conduct of the police in this instance, on both right and left. And I'd say to this, too, rightfully so.

You're correct that this officer may have used this maneuver before. He also apparently had a large slate of complaints against him. I guess we'll see what comes out, this story isn't going away.

Admin
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, hope.

Post by Admin » 3 months ago

Johnson wrote: 3 months agoracism
Is there any evidence which supports the narrative that the policeman's homicide was racially motivated?
:christian-cross: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Admin wrote: 3 months ago Is there any evidence which supports the narrative that the policeman's crime was racially motivated?
The court of public opinion has already made their minds up. That's what shits me about situations like this.

The "motive" for the police officer's crime is written by the loudest and most violent among the protesters.
We all need calm down and think this through a bit more.

Johnson
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by Johnson » 3 months ago

We're seeing a lot of evidence suggesting a racist past. We just have to be patient and wait to see what the prosecution presents in court as he is prosecuted.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: Finasteride, RU58841, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 3 months ago

I can't even find the news thread where this exact same thing happened to a white guy in 2016, except it was 15 minutes. The reason I can't find it is because the Google searches are clogged up with this case, and there were barely any news stories of the white guy in 2016. When I searched his name the other day, all news stories were from the day it happened, why's that significant? Nobody cares, there was zero follow up, in case which also showed extreme police brutality.

@Johnson can you give me any example of how this happens "all the time" without the police being charged? And before you give me Trayvon, Zimmerman, Rice or recently Arbery, make sure you get the details right of why they were killed, and if there was justice served if it was unfair.

It's crazy how this is the most blatant case of police brutality since Rodney King, finally the left and the black community can point at an obvious case of a black man being murdered unjustly by white cops (but as Fred said, no evidence this is racism and for what we know right now, could easily have happened to a white man who initially resisted arrest) and the right and conservatives resoundingly agree, everyone is united in the fact that this was blatantly a horrific act by 2 police officers.

So they are being arrested, charged, the president has expressed and "admitted" it was horrible, what do we do now? Let's riot, burn and loot our own fucking community, in "protest". Uhm what exactly are you protesting?
Look, fat...

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 3 months ago

blackg wrote: 3 months ago Is there any footage of the interaction between Mr. Floyd and the police before the officer felt the need to kneel on his neck?

The guy on the ground had the cop hold his leg their for eight minutes. He even said he couldn't breath.

The other police said "do you think he is able to breath".

He is only being charged for third degree murder.

Also, the cops now to be ex wife even says she sympathizes with the black man's family. She is divorcing
her husband because he is a murdering asshole.

He also had eighteen other police violations against him before this. Something to think about. Why was he allowed back?

He should get the death penalty. Instead, the maximum he could get (and we won't get that), would be twenty five years. He
probably will only serve eighteen months, if that.

Added in 2 minutes 38 seconds:
Rudiger wrote: 3 months ago I can't even find the news thread where this exact same thing happened to a white guy in 2016, except it was 15 minutes. The reason I can't find it is because the Google searches are clogged up with this case, and there were barely any news stories of the white guy in 2016. When I searched his name the other day, all news stories were from the day it happened, why's that significant? Nobody cares, there was zero follow up, in case which also showed extreme police brutality.

@Johnson can you give me any example of how this happens "all the time" without the police being charged? And before you give me Trayvon, Zimmerman, Rice or recently Arbery, make sure you get the details right of why they were killed, and if there was justice served if it was unfair.

It's crazy how this is the most blatant case of police brutality since Rodney King, finally the left and the black community can point at an obvious case of a black man being murdered unjustly by white cops (but as Fred said, no evidence this is racism and for what we know right now, could easily have happened to a white man who initially resisted arrest) and the right and conservatives resoundingly agree, everyone is united in the fact that this was blatantly a horrific act by 2 police officers.

So they are being arrested, charged, the president has expressed and "admitted" it was horrible, what do we do now? Let's riot, burn and loot our own fucking community, in "protest". Uhm what exactly are you protesting?

Do you agree with what the police did? Remember, they weren't fired until four days later. The only reason this came to light
was because a seventeen year old kid videotaped the whole thing.

Do you agree with what the police did? Remember, they weren't fired until four days later. The only reason this came to light
was because a seventeen year old kid videotaped the whole thing.

The cop who did that worked as a s a bouncer, in the same club with the black guy he arrested. Think about that.
Last edited by rclark 3 months ago, edited 4 times in total.