2020 Democratic presidential nomination thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride, RU58841, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 2 weeks ago

blackg wrote:
2 weeks ago
I challenge anyone reeling from a blitzkrieg campaign around the United States to remembe exactly what state they are in on a day-to-day basis.
Heck, sometimes these candidates are in two states on the very same day!
Ohio then Kentucky, for example. Crossing the Ohio River from Cincinnati south into Covington, Kentucky.

Two cities and two states in one day. I'd like to see @Rudiger do this and keep his wits about him.
These things are hectic and as Joe would say "give me a break."
OK I'll take that challenge.

...so now what do we do? Great point as always cuckg.

I'd feel completely comfortable with such a thing for different reasons, especially if I had years under my belt as a career politician, but even if we take me out of the equation, why did 19 other nominees this year do similar campaigns without such consistent gaffes? Why does that happen every election season?

And it's not that the likes of Elizabeth Warren or Eric Swalwell are the most impeccable and engaging public speakers, but Biden was the king of gaffes in a field packed with morons. Being able to remember what state you're in is probably the most basic of things for people who do public speaking multiple times on a daily basis.

It's awful what the Dems are doing, propping this guy up for a downfall, you're part of it in your own way. Look, fat, you are personally responsible for single handedly causing Biden to drop dead soon.

Gimme a break, let's take this outside.
Look, fat...

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 2 weeks ago

Rudiger wrote:
2 weeks ago
I'd feel completely comfortable with such a thing for different reasons, .
"I'd feel". Said like a true armchair expert.

One thing armchair experts unfortunately never have to experience is the heat of the moment. The pressure of the schedule. The intense glare of a hungry media.

These gaffes are expected under these conditions and at the end of the day, are but a trivial matter.
From Australia: we're all in this together.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

blackg wrote:
2 weeks ago
"I'd feel". Said like a true armchair expert.

One thing armchair experts unfortunately never have to experience is the heat of the moment. The pressure of the schedule. The intense glare of a hungry media.

These gaffes are expected under these conditions and at the end of the day, are but a trivial matter.
But I just said there are countless other career politicians who don't make the same fuck ups he consistently makes on a regular basis. Sometimes they all mess up, even accomplished public speakers like Obama has had gaffes and mumbling nonsense, but Biden is on another level.

I said specifically, forget about pointlessly challenging me, how did 19 other Dem nominee's (a lot of whom are incompetent or flat out insane) manage to not stand out as making as many gaffes as Joe Biden? Bernie may be ridiculous but he's under even more intense pressure from the media (recently anyway), he's older than Biden and had a heart attack recently, yet he almost always knows what state he's in.

Biden sometimes forgets how many states there are, never mind which one he's in.

So again, don't de-rail this as to whether you or I could be competent on a stage because nobody knows or cares, among professional career politicians, how does Biden manage to consistently stand out as the biggest fuck up?
Look, fat...

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.

Post by Admin » 2 weeks ago

blackg wrote:
2 weeks ago
It's not gaffes anymore when a clear pattern emerges. Anybody else would be told to go home and rethink their priorities and goals in life for much, much less than all the mistakes Joe Biden has made so far. As a Christian, I understand the importance of compassion and mercy, but when taken too far, it might just as well be considered abuse again.

It's quite obvious in the case of Joe Biden. He's not fit to be working anymore, much less to be a busy politician, and even much less to be a presidential candidate for the most powerful country in the world.

So let's say it as it is, as harsh as it sounds, people who encouraging Joe Biden to keep running are abusing him. Why? Because they're more concerned about their collective ego, about saving face, about winning than this poor old man's well-being. The side of empathy and compassion as they self-proclaim to be.

I certainly don't wish that on him, but if Joe Biden crashes down in any way, be it mental breakdown, heart failure or coming on stage in his underwear, the responsibility will not be only on him but on all of his enablers.
"The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. - Matthew 6:22 :christian-cross:

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

You two are talking about Biden as if he has been wheeled out from the local institution.

The hypocrisy is palpable.

Look, if Trump is fit to run the country then so is Joe Biden.

He may actually win.

Added in 8 minutes 40 seconds:
Rudiger wrote:
2 weeks ago
I said specifically, forget about pointlessly challenging me, how did 19 other Dem nominee's (a lot of whom are incompetent or flat out insane) manage to not stand out as making as many gaffes as Joe Biden?
Ummm.. the answer is easy. The longer the campaign goes on, the less candidates.
The less candidates then the more the media is focused on just one or two players.
Hence the possibility and probability of a gaffe or two.

It's called pressure. Something an average citizen living a comfortable middle-class life rarely has to deal with.
(I'm looking at Frederick and Rudimentary)

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.

blackg wrote:
2 weeks ago
It's called pressure. Something an average citizen living a comfortable middle-class life rarely has to deal with.
(I'm looking at Frederick and Rudimentary)
That's quite the bold statement to make from someone who's constantly urging others not to rush to judgement.

How are you so sure that we rarely have to deal with pressure in our lives?
"The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. - Matthew 6:22 :christian-cross:

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

blackg wrote:
2 weeks ago
Ummm.. the answer is easy. The longer the campaign goes on, the less candidates.
The less candidates then the more the media is focused on just one or two players.
Hence the possibility and probability of a gaffe or two.
He was doing it back when there were 20 of them and Elizabeth Warren was the favorite, are you deliberately not thinking things through? I mean, one or two gaffes?

It's many gaffes and it's not recent because of campaign pressure, he's been doing it for years.

Telling a guy in a wheelchair to stand up, a guy he can see, sitting in a wheelchair right in front of him.

The only reason there's not more of these more recently updated compilations at the moment (though there are definitely some) is because people are waiting until the race is over, then we'll have literally like an hour of gaffes in the last 18 months.

One or two?
Look, fat...

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Admin wrote:
2 weeks ago
That's quite the bold statement to make from someone who's constantly urging others not to rush to judgement.

How are you so sure that we rarely have to deal with pressure in our lives?
Yeah, you know, I thought about that as soon as I hit submit. I might have bitten off more than I can chew here.

Sorry, mate.
Sorry, Rudi

Added in 2 hours 45 seconds:
Rudiger wrote:
2 weeks ago
He was doing it back when there were 20 of them and Elizabeth Warren was the favorite, are you deliberately not thinking things through? I mean, one or two gaffes?

It's many gaffes and it's not recent because of campaign pressure, he's been doing it for years.

Telling a guy in a wheelchair to stand up, a guy he can see, sitting in a wheelchair right in front of him.

The only reason there's not more of these more recently updated compilations at the moment (though there are definitely some) is because people are waiting until the race is over, then we'll have literally like an hour of gaffes in the last 18 months.

One or two?
Yes, it looks like you and Free are right on this one. Joe Biden does seem very gaffe prone now that I look into it, thanks to the material you posted.

It should make for an interesting presidency (assuming he beats Trump).
In the meantime, the Trump V Biden debates should be very memorable.

Bring it on!

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 2 weeks ago

Rudiger wrote:
2 weeks ago
Of the choices, I'll take the one that makes a gaffe about what state he's in...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/us/p ... virus.html

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

yettee wrote:
2 weeks ago
Of the choices, I'll take the one that makes a gaffe about what state he's in...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/us/p ... virus.html
I don't have a log in, what does the rest of the article say?

Added in 1 minute 35 seconds:
blackg wrote:
2 weeks ago
Yeah, you know, I thought about that as soon as I hit submit. I might have bitten off more than I can chew here.

Sorry, mate.
Sorry, Rudi
Sorry for assuming I've never had pressure in my life or assuming I've never had to do public speaking and then when I said I have, you called me an "armchair expert"? Just to clarify what the apology is for here
Look, fat...

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Rudiger wrote:
2 weeks ago

Added in 1 minute 35 seconds:

Sorry for assuming I've never had pressure in my life or assuming I've never had to do public speaking and then when I said I have, you called me an "armchair expert"? Just to clarify what the apology is for here
I apologize for everything, Rudi. But please stop micro-managing every thing.

On another note: It's a bit unfair posting links to the New York Times as we all aren't bourgeois enough to have a subscription.

I'm looking at you, Freddo.

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Rudiger wrote:
2 weeks ago
blackg wrote:
2 weeks ago
I apologize for everything, Rudi. But please stop micro-managing every thing.

On another note: It's a bit unfair posting links to the New York Times as we all aren't bourgeois enough to have a subscription.

I'm looking at you, Freddo.
O do you need a subscription, I thought you can see a few articles without one, and also I thought it's visible if it's a link on a blog post... sorry guys!

So basically it's a compilation of Trump statements regarding the coronavirus. He's saying now that it's a pandemic, and in the style we all know and love, he is saying that actually he thought it was a pandemic before it was called a pandemic. And then follows a compilation of his recent statements, such as the US has the coronavirus completely under control... soon the US will have only 1 or 2 people with the virus... it will disappear "like a miracle"... he is not concerned at all... etc.

I was in a crowded dessert place the other day. People were partying, having a great time and talking in each others faces. The girl behind the counter was explaining to me that everyone just needs to relax etc., in very similar language. So I would credit Trump for closing the border at the start, but words have consequences and there are a lot of people who adopted and believe the FOX news 'this is the new impeachment scam' (?!) / Trump is "not concerned", "soon it will be one or 2 people" (?!) stuff. So I'll take the guy who makes gaffes over the one who ... well see what I just wrote. (Should be noted that on FOX, Tucker Carlson seems to have recognized the danger in what Trump was doing and has been very critical of the administration's response until the last couple of days.)

While Biden has always made gaffes, I do agree that he's not in great shape. That was said of Hillary and it was BS, and obvious BS at the time, so I'm not pleased to say it. But it's likely true and I'm sure it'll be repeated by the right endlessly and with some effect. I still think Biden will win though because although I know the majority here on this board are Trump supporters, and fair enough about that!... I think most Americans will pick Biden and hope for the best rather than Trump and get more of the above. But we will see.

I think the Democratic Party finally went for Biden not because it thinks he's potentially the best president, but because there was a mass judgement that he's the candidate most likely to beat Trump. I think Trump himself knows it, political master that he is. And I agree. I don't know how serious @blackg is about supporting him, but it's an illustration of how I think people in some critical swing states may vote.
Last edited by yettee 2 weeks ago, edited 3 times in total.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

yettee wrote:
2 weeks ago
I do agree that he's not in great shape. That was said of Hillary and it was BS, and obvious BS at the time, so I'm not pleased to say it.
It was true, or would you also file those under "well that kind of thing can happen to anyone who's under pressure!":

hillary_clinton_spams_seizure.gif
hillary_clinton_spams_seizure.gif (736.86 KiB) Viewed 146 times
yettee wrote:
2 weeks ago
I still think Biden will win though because... I think most Americans will pick Biden and hope for the best rather than Trump and get more of the above. But we will see.
I don't see how this could ever fit into reality but we're all entitled to our own pronostic ;).

Just a small remark: please refrain from using 'T' instead of Trump, for the good of this website's Google ranking :).

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Admin wrote:
2 weeks ago
It was true, or would you also file those under "well that kind of thing can happen to anyone who's under pressure!":
You remember, she was portrayed as if she was losing it physically and mentally and was on the way out. Well, not true, it's years later and she's sharp as ever (agree or disagree with her positions), and by all indications physically fine.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

yettee wrote:
2 weeks ago
You remember, she was portrayed as if she was losing it physically and mentally and was on the way out. Well, not true, it's years later and she's sharp as ever (agree or disagree with her positions), and by all indications physically fine.
The context is not nearly the same, from running for president and being under the spotlight 24/7 to being able to carefully cherry-pick her public appearances and having plenty of time to get her exorcist to placate the demons inside of her.

Before you ask me if I'm trolling or if I'm serious: it's always both :angel:.