2020 Democratic presidential nomination thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 3 months ago

The United States now leads China in the Coronavirus pandemic. The countries that don't
seem to be as bad include Germany, and they tested everyone.

Ireland is also doing well. I think it is hard for people to understand this, unless they
are in this situation.

Trump down played the entire pademic.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-admini ... 08840.html

Had he got the tests, and we were able to determine who has it and who does it, maybe there
wouldn't be as many deaths here.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by blackg » 3 months ago

History will not be kind to Trump regarding the covid-19 crisis.
endless sexless.

Admin
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.

Post by Admin » 3 months ago

https://thefederalist.com/2020/04/01/th ... ing-lives/

Rule n°13: follow news outlets that want your own good and have your best interests in mind.

pepe-ok
:christian-cross:

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

At least this virus is keeping Wolf Pack off welfare.
endless sexless.

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 3 months ago

Admin wrote:
3 months ago
Rule n°13: follow news outlets that want your own good and have your best interests in mind.
Always, always, this is the response to criticism of Trump, like a magic mantra that renders what one can see and hear with one's own eyes and ears invalid. And of course he has said the same thing - 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'. But in reality, he's on TV every day, and he tweets, and so one can hear what he says directly, no filter necessary. Things like “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine”, and “the Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. … Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”, and “It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.” Americans likely know other Americans (I do) who have heard this, believed it, and continued to go out and about, wherever and whenever, without any fear or concern. That went on for weeks and weeks, as the virus continued to spread and establish footholds and hotspots all over the United States. These people also heard hosts on FOX and other right wing media, directly from their mouths, agreeing and calling the virus an exaggerated left wing hoax. Like Rush Limbaugh, Trump friend and recent recipient of the Medal of Freedom: "This coronavirus, they’re just — all of this panic is just not warranted. This, I’m telling you, when I tell you — when I’ve told you that this virus is the common cold."

One can also hear the top health official of the United States strongly advocating a national lockdown, as has happened in many other countries, not understanding why his advice is being ignored, and saying, exasperated, "I don't understand why that's not happening,” and "I just don't understand why we're not doing that — we really should be.” And when asked about how he responds to the president uttering falsehoods, "'I can't jump in front of the microphone and push him down". Is the top health official of the USA part of the "deep state"? I'm sure some are claiming it. As for the facts on the ground, the US has more than double the number of cases compared to any other country, the curve ain't flattening and the situation is catastrophic.

I rememeber strongly supporting Bush's 2003 war in Iraq. I argued with people on the left about it, passionately. I was sure I was right, and that Bush was right, and I was all in. I thought people who disagreed were uninformed, or naive, or being conned. It took time but I eventually realized that I couldn't have been more mistaken in my support. A lot of people did. It happens. I wonder if anyone here will ever look back and say, wow, I couldn't have been more wrong. I doubt it but my own experience says it's possible.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: Finasteride, RU58841, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 3 months ago

yettee wrote:
3 months ago
It took time but I eventually realized that I couldn't have been more mistaken in my support. A lot of people did. It happens. I wonder if anyone here will ever look back and say, wow, I couldn't have been more wrong. I doubt it but my own experience says it's possible.
Anyone could look back and feel wrong, including you, but that doesn't appear to have entered your mind.
Look, fat...

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Rudiger wrote:
3 months ago
Anyone could look back and feel wrong, including you, but that doesn't appear to have entered your mind.
Hard to say that when I literally posted that I looked back and felt wrong about another event in my last post. But yes, sure it could happen in this case. But I doubt it, because really there's no other way to look at the last several weeks, and it can't be undone. There were lots and lots of Trump statements minimizing the issue, over the course of several weeks, saying don't worry everything is and will be fine ("We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control." "the Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. … Stock Market starting to look very good to me!" - seriously??) when it clearly wasn't and wouldn't be. People believed it and went out and spread the virus like wildfire. These aren't fantasy people and it's not something I saw on CNN, I'm American and I know of people who indeed believed and believe these statements and what they heard from right wing commentators, that it's a hoax and an exaggerated nothing, and are acting accordingly and encouraging others to do so. The number of infected people is now highest in the world by far and the chief medical officer is strongly giving advice (nationwide lockdown) that isn't being heeded.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Look, I mostly support Trump, his immigration policies and his support for the 2nd Amendment.
But when it comes to this corona virus, he clearly fumbled the ball (early on).

I think now the Trump administration is doing a good job, the best they can under the current circumstances. Circumstances that, quite frankly, Trump and others have facilitated with their casual attitude early on.

I would like to hear @Yettee's opinion on current mitigation.
endless sexless.

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

blackg wrote:
3 months ago
Look, I mostly support Trump, his immigration policies and his support for the 2nd Amendment.
But when it comes to this corona virus, he clearly fumbled the ball (early on).

I think now the Trump administration is doing a good job, the best they can under the current circumstances. Circumstances that, quite frankly, Trump and others have facilitated with their casual attitude early on.

I would like to hear @Yettee's opinion on current mitigation.
Fair to poor. I know more is being done and the statements about how there is no problem and there won't be a problem, which continued for several weeks, have stopped. But there obviously needs to be a countrywide lockdown for a few weeks, it's the only thing that will be truly effective and it's the very strong and often repeated recommendation by the country's chief medical officer, who is clearly baffled and upset that it's not happening. And seriously, I don't even need to comment on a statement like this one, the president's reaction today on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's recommendation to wear masks: "The CDC is advising the use of non-medical cloth face covering as an additional voluntary public health measure. This is voluntary. I don’t think I’m going to be doing it....I’m feeling good. I just don’t want to be doing -- somehow sitting in the Oval Office behind that beautiful resolute desk, the great resolute desk, i think wearing a face mask as I greet presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens, I don’t know, somehow I don’t see it for myself. I just don’t. Maybe I’ll change my mind.”

The number of cases in the US is now over 270,000.