Yoga, relaxation and meditation thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Head & Shoulders caffeine shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Yoga, relaxation and meditation thread

Post by Admin » 1 month ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago
I went to yoga
I was recently quite surprised to learn that yoga means 'Union with God' in Sanskrit.

How long have you been practicing? Have you already experienced mental, physical or spiritual benefits?

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Yoga, relaxation and meditation thread

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 1 month ago

Admin wrote:
1 month ago
I was recently quite surprised to learn that yoga means 'Union with God' in Sanskrit.

How long have you been practicing? Have you already experienced mental, physical or spiritual benefits?
I didn't know that. I tend to be less interested in yoga classes that emphasize the spiritual aspects -- I'm not Hindu.

I've also been doing pilates, which is similar, and places greater relative emphasis on core strength and endurance. By core, I means abs, butt, thighs, hips, etc.

I'm finding that I'm getting a lot of physical and mental benefits. It reduces pain, my strength is a little higher, and I tend to leave the studio in a positive and relaxed mood. I also have more body awareness, over time i learn how to make optimal adjustments.

I've been doing yoga on and off for maybe fifteen years. It's been a lot more intense in the past couple months though.

Have you been considering yoga? How's your strength training going?

Edited to add: we're off topic, it might make sense for you to move these posts.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago
Have you been considering yoga? How's your strength training going?

Edited to add: we're off topic, it might make sense for you to move these posts.
Yep, I was thinking the same, done!

Well I have been practicing Orthodox Christian meditation for about 3 months now and the benefits have been tremendous, on a spiritual level, unsurprisingly, but it also produced mental and physical changes.

I used to believe that there was no way you couldn't not get hurt by a provocation or verbal abuse, especially for someone as sensitive as me. Boy was I wrong. The more progress I make in my practice of meditation, the more I'm allowed to notice that someone is trying to get a rise of me let's say, but it's like I'm watching it happening from the outside, without it affecting me directly, and making my emotions go haywire like it used to do.

I've felt many tensions in my body release, tensions I wasn't even aware of. In the face, around the core (chest, back, belly). And then there were the spiritual benefits, which I hesitate to describe in details because I guess everyone will be like :eh:. I've felt a heavy weight lifting off my heart, that was always there somehow, travel to my chest, then throat (I felt like I was choking, my therapist thought it was what deep anxiety can do), then my face to finally rest in my nose area. Now I'm walking around with pressure on my nose :lol: .

It's quite common actually:

I guess what's missing from all this practice is what yoga has to offer. I just do my best to release the tension during the session and I'm having deep tissue massages from time to time to heal the tensions, the knots I wouldn't be able to relax with my normal practice.

I've also had nice seemingly self-regulating physical changes, mainly regarding my weight, which has gone down without doing anything about it consciously, I guess I need to eat less and less often somehow. The decreased face puffiness is a nice bonus. I'm still weightlifting but due to a lot of stress in my professional life, I could only go once a week lately. I'm still at the plateau I hit after about 1.5 year of weightlifting but yet another benefit of meditation is that I have now more endurance.

So yeah, I cannot recommend practicing meditation, relaxation or yoga enough. It makes navigating our modern life much easier. At the core, it's really about learning to enjoy doing jack shit, realizing that there are moments for that and there is nothing wrong with it, quite the contrary, it's needed. Reverse your attention towards the fact that you are experiencing this moment right now and try to stay there (basic, you've heard this before, you just need to do it!). Let your ego, your mind throw everything at you ("it's boring! you need to do things! let's think about the past, the future!" until he gets tired and you slowly learn to detach from it.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 1 month ago

Admin wrote:
1 month ago
Yep, I was thinking the same, done!

Well I have been practicing Orthodox Christian meditation for about 3 months now and the benefits have been tremendous, on a spiritual level, unsurprisingly, but it also produced mental and physical changes.

I used to believe that there was no way you couldn't not get hurt by a provocation or verbal abuse, especially for someone as sensitive as me. Boy was I wrong. The more progress I make in my practice of meditation, the more I'm allowed to notice that someone is trying to get a rise of me let's say, but it's like I'm watching it happening from the outside, without it affecting me directly, and making my emotions go haywire like it used to do.

I've felt many tensions in my body release, tensions I wasn't even aware of. In the face, around the core (chest, back, belly). And then there were the spiritual benefits, which I hesitate to describe in details because I guess everyone will be like :eh:. I've felt a heavy weight lifting off my heart, that was always there somehow, travel to my chest, then throat (I felt like I was choking, my therapist thought it was what deep anxiety can do), then my face to finally rest in my nose area. Now I'm walking around with pressure on my nose :lol: .

It's quite common actually:

I guess what's missing from all this practice is what yoga has to offer. I just do my best to release the tension during the session and I'm having deep tissue massages from time to time to heal the tensions, the knots I wouldn't be able to relax with my normal practice.

I've also had nice seemingly self-regulating physical changes, mainly regarding my weight, which has gone down without doing anything about it consciously, I guess I need to eat less and less often somehow. The decreased face puffiness is a nice bonus. I'm still weightlifting but due to a lot of stress in my professional life, I could only go once a week lately. I'm still at the plateau I hit after about 1.5 year of weightlifting but yet another benefit of meditation is that I have now more endurance.

So yeah, I cannot recommend practicing meditation, relaxation or yoga enough. It makes navigating our modern life much easier. At the core, it's really about learning to enjoy doing jack shit, realizing that there are moments for that and there is nothing wrong with it, quite the contrary, it's needed. Reverse your attention towards the fact that you are experiencing this moment right now and try to stay there (basic, you've heard this before, you just need to do it!). Let your ego, your mind throw everything at you ("it's boring! you need to do things! let's think about the past, the future!" until he gets tired and you slowly learn to detach from it.
There's more to reply to here than I can reply to right now, but for now, I'll ask you something that I've been meaning to ask you for a while. Why did you select the Christian Orthodox Church, rather than the Catholic Church, or a Protestant denomination?

I suspect that meditation is the healthiest thing that I know about and that I'm not doing. That, and possibly spending time in saunas. It's something that I should add ... I think that my overuse of screens has fried my dopamine receptors in recent years, to overuse some pop psychology that may or may not actually be scientific. As an example, I don't read as much as I used to, and I'm even noticing a decline in my writing skills. I've taken to leaving my cell phone at home during the work day, but I think that adding a meditation practice to my life would yield synergistic effects.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago
There's more to reply to here than I can reply to right now, but for now, I'll ask you something that I've been meaning to ask you for a while. Why did you select the Christian Orthodox Church, rather than the Catholic Church, or a Protestant denomination?

I suspect that meditation is the healthiest thing that I know about and that I'm not doing. That, and possibly spending time in saunas. It's something that I should add ... I think that my overuse of screens has fried my dopamine receptors in recent years, to overuse some pop psychology that may or may not actually be scientific. As an example, I don't read as much as I used to, and I'm even noticing a decline in my writing skills. I've taken to leaving my cell phone at home during the work day, but I think that adding a meditation practice to my life would yield synergistic effects.
Well it's quite simple, I haven't chosen Orthodox Christianity, it's just that it's objectively the purest form of Christianity. Orthodoxy salvaged the mystical aspects of our religion which have been lost in the West after the Schism of 1054. Western Christianity quickly became a game of logic, reason and science, which has brought us the technological and sociological miracles of the West. Don't get me wrong, one should not spit on them, but we can see what we have lost in this process: the mystical teachings of Christ which allow us to go through deep personal transformation. What would make us able to generate meaning in our lives. Hence the deep meaning crisis that the the West is going through.

I'm still Catholic, and affiliated to the Catholic Church, it's where I'm going to get married and where I go through the Sacraments. It's mostly because well, we're in the West, and it's not that easy to join an active Eastern Church here. There's barely anything inherently wrong with the Catholic Church, it's just that even there you'll hit a wall in your spiritual practice. It hasn't fragmented much though, and we don't have that many LGBT postmodern churches. Protestantism on the other hand is falling apart, and is even further removed from the original teachings of Christ. The number of subgroups and new denominations is spinning out of control. Soon everyone will have their own Church :D . A hierarchical organization is really crucial for the survival of Christianity, or any religion I guess. No you cannot live and maintain Christianity by reading the Bible alone in your bedroom.

Not going on your cell phone or just leaving the things of the world aside for a while becomes much easier once you've practiced meditation for a while. You're really doing the opposite of what our modern life wants us to do, or what we think we should be doing. Always looking at a screen, be up to date, learning about things, mountains of knowledge readily available, always something to do. Now there's nothing wrong with all that when they're at their proper place, but we all need moments to bring our attention back home, and just enjoy the present moment, whether it's meditating on your own or enjoying yourself with other people.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 3 weeks ago

Masturbation is meditation.
"Grandpa, fix my climate!"

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 2 weeks ago

Admin wrote:
1 month ago

I practiced yoga for 4 years when I was a teenager but I quit when I fell into my hair loss depression years. I recently started back up doing some pregnant yoga which feels nice. I'm trying to make the breathing right but unfortunately I've become more impatient over the years and it's hard for me to find that 'calm' that I used to before.
Setting the mood with dim lighting, candles and relaxing music helps putting me in the mood :) Yoga is great to calm down your mind and body and also strengthen it.
At Peace with the Piece 8-)

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 1 week ago

Admin wrote:
1 month ago

You should study the Hindi culture. I think you would like it, and maybe learn how to speak
Hindi?

It's a lot like Spanish. There are male and female pronunciations of words.