American football thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
nameless
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: None at this time.

American football thread

Post by nameless » 2 weeks ago

The past week I've figured fuck it because of all he Covid-19 in the NFL.

Now that I'm back I'm taking the Bills over the Titans.

The Titans are missing two of their top 3 receivers (Corey Davis and Adam Humphries). They should have one of their top receivers (A.J. Brown) but if he plays he'll be playing banged up.

They're missing their best IDL (Jefferey Simmons). Their other starting IDL (Daquan Jones) should play but he's just coming off Covid-19 and he played poorly the first 3 games.

They'll be missing two of their top 3 CBs (Adoree Jackson and Krystian Fulton).

And this is just the guys I know that they're missing. They could be missing more guys.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Norwood: NW3.5
Regimen: Alcohol coping mechanism

American football thread

Post by blackg » 2 weeks ago

The Saints beat the Chargers but they didn't cover the 6.5 spread.
the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom (but just say no)

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

American football thread

Post by yettee » 2 weeks ago

blackg wrote: 2 weeks ago The Saints beat the Chargers but they didn't cover the 6.5 spread.
Ya the spread'll get ya.

Looks like the Bills are at -3.5. If I had to pick I'd take the Bills. However I don't, so I won't and will sit on my 5-2 record for the time being. Game could go either way, and that .5 is never welcome if you want the favorite.

nameless
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

American football thread

yettee wrote: 2 weeks ago Ya the spread'll get ya.

Looks like the Bills are at -3.5. If I had to pick I'd take the Bills. However I don't, so I won't and will sit on my 5-2 record for the time being. Game could go either way, and that .5 is never welcome if you want the favorite.
The Titans are missing 2 of their top 3 cornerbacks and their one top-3 CB that's playing is playing injured.

The Titans are missing 2 of their top 3 receivers and their one top 3 receiver that's playing is playing injured with a bruised knee.

The Titans are without their top IDL (Jefferey Simmons) and their next best IDL (Daquan Jones) is coming off Covid-19 disease and playing while still feeling sick.

They're almost without their entire starting CB crew. They'e almost without their entire starting WR crew. They're without their only standout player on their IDL (Jefferey Simmons) and their next best player on the IDL will play but he's under the weather from Covid-19.

I'm taking the Bills by 5 in Tennessee. It wouldn't surprise me if the Bills win by 10+

Added in 5 hours 5 minutes 38 seconds:
At halftime the Titans are ahead 21 to 10. It's crazy that the Titans are ahead of the star-studded Buffalo Bills even though the Titans are missing so many of their best players. I still think Buffalo will pull out the win in the 2nd half.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

American football thread

Titans up by 11.

Added in 1 hour 24 minutes 11 seconds:
Goodnight Buffalo!! Titans win by.... 26 points!

How about that one, @nameless?

nameless
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

American football thread

blackg wrote: 2 weeks ago Titans up by 11.

Added in 1 hour 24 minutes 11 seconds:
Goodnight Buffalo!! Titans win by.... 26 points!

How about that one, @nameless?
It's crazy! Not only were the Titans without 5 of their best starters they also got very little production from Derrick Henry and some of the starters who did play were wounded.

I think the Bills thought beating the wounded Titans would be a slam-dunk because the Titans are so wounded. So the Bills looked past Tennessee. Big mistake. The Titans didn't so much win as much as the Bills lost. Top teams like Buffalo, Houston, the Chiefs, and Pittsburgh, can beat the wounded Titans but they have to play their best game to beat the Titans. Buffalo didn't do that. Buffalo was focused on their next game against the Chiefs.

The Texans and Steelers should learn from the Bills loss to the Titans. They (Texans & Steelers) will bring their "A" games and at least one of those 2 teams will beat the Titans in the next 2 weeks.

Added in 4 hours 1 minute 29 seconds:
yettee wrote: 2 weeks ago Ya the spread'll get ya.

You know, the more I look at the Chief's division the more i think that they have it easy in that division. Yes, they've beaten some good teams outside of their division but they also win a lot of easy games inside their division.
Last edited by nameless 2 weeks ago, edited 3 times in total.

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

American football thread

nameless wrote: 2 weeks ago It's crazy! Not only were the Titans without 5 of their best starters they also got very little production from Derrick Henry and some of the starters who did play were wounded.

I think what happened is that the Bills figured beating the wounded Titans would be a slam-dunk since the Titans are so wounded. So the Bills looked past Tennessee. Big mistake. The Titans didn't so much win as much as the Bills lost. Top teams like Buffalo, Houston, the Chiefs, and Pittsburgh, can beat the wounded Titans but they have to play their best game to beat the Titans. Buffalo didn't do that. Like I said, Buffalo looked past the Titans.

The Texans and Steelers will learn from the Bills loss to the Titans. They (Texans & Steelers) will bring their "A" games and at least one of those 2 teams will beat the Titans in the next 2 weeks.

Added in 4 hours 1 minute 29 seconds:

You know, the more I look at the Chief's division the more i think that they have it easy in that division. Yes, they've beaten some good teams outside of their division but they also win a lot of easy games inside their division.
I think the Chiefs are a team that saves their best for when it counts, and they also play to the competition's level. It's typical of some NBA teams that know how to pace themselves and then turn it up for the playoffs, rather than flame out like the Warriors when they broke the record for regular season wins, or the Pats when they went 16-0 for that matter.

For me the culture of a team is paramount rather than the individual stats of players. The Bills may be more talented than the Titans, especially with so many injuries, but they lost early in the playoffs last year and their QB is still basically a rookie trying to prove he's for real. On the other hand the Titans took out both the Ravens and the Pats last year. So a game like that for me is a tossup.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

American football thread

Anyone willing to predict that the Titans will win their next two games?

Fuck it, I will.

nameless
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

American football thread

blackg wrote: 2 weeks ago Anyone willing to predict that the Titans will win their next two games?

Fuck it, I will.
Titans should beat the Texans but not the Steelers.

nameless
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

American football thread

blackg wrote: 2 weeks ago Anyone willing to predict that the Titans will win their next two games?

Fuck it, I will.
For Sunday the news so far is that

1. The Chiefs just picked up RB Leveon Bell

2. The Titans have 18 players injured right now

3. The Raiders are looking good right now

4. The Giants can beat Washington

5. The Buccaneers can't beat the Packers.

6. Minnesota Vikings could beat the Falcons.

I'll make my picks on all of these games on Saturday night.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

American football thread

I remember when Leveon was the premier running back in the AFC. Time flies. I think he will be a good fit for da Chiefs and I wish him well.

But @nameless, how can you be so sure the Bucks can't beat the Pack? That's a big call, mate. The line I'm seeing is only 1.5 to Tampa Bay.

I'm taking the Bucks.

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

American football thread

blackg wrote: 2 weeks ago I remember when Leveon was the premier running back in the AFC. Time flies. I think he will be a good fit for da Chiefs and I wish him well.

But @nameless, how can you be so sure the Bucks can't beat the Pack? That's a big call, mate. The line I'm seeing is only 1.5 to Tampa Bay.

I'm taking the Bucks.
Bell was totally misused by the Jets. It's what I meant about the culture of a team being so important... the Jets QB should also be a much better player at this point. The team is probably tanking for Trevor Lawrence. Might as well tank, get Lawrence, trade Darnold and hire a new coach.

Agree, I think the Bucks can beat the Pack. Tossup. The Pack are likely a better team (the Bucs beating the Panthers, Broncos and Chargers doesn't prove much) but Brady still has it and with his top receivers the team can do anything on any given week. That said, I think Aaron Rogers is probably excited at the possibility of decimating a Patriots-less Brady.

Agree, the Giants could finally get a win this week.

nameless
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

American football thread

Post by nameless » 1 week ago

My picks for this week:

1. The Titans over the Texans in Nashville. The Titans have a lot of their players back.

2. Packers over the Bucs.

3. The Giants over Washington.

4. The Vikings over the Falcons.

I can't decide between KC and the Bills. The Bills are a very good team and they're looking to bounce back from a loss to Tennessee plus it's a home game for the Bills. On the other hand, KC is elite and they want to bounce back after losing to the Raiders. This should be a good game to watch. I'm not picking but if I had to pick I would probably take the Bills.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

American football thread

Post by blackg » 1 week ago

Okay, my picks for the weekend:

Tennessee minus 3.5 over Houston.

Baltimore -7.5 over Philadelphia.

Tampa Bay over the Packers without any assistance from the points spread.

And KC, minus 3.5, to bounce back and beat Buffalo.

@Yettee?

Added in 7 hours 2 minutes 37 seconds:
What's the best division in football, fellas?
Definitely not the NFC east:
pitiful east.png
pitiful east.png (59.68 KiB) Viewed 435 times

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

American football thread

Post by yettee » 1 week ago

blackg wrote: 1 week ago Okay, my picks for the weekend:

Tennessee minus 3.5 over Houston.

Baltimore -7.5 over Philadelphia.

Tampa Bay over the Packers without any assistance from the points spread.

And KC, minus 3.5, to bounce back and beat Buffalo.

@Yettee?

Added in 7 hours 2 minutes 37 seconds:
What's the best division in football, fellas?
Definitely not the NFC east:

pitiful east.png
The NFC East is terrible... and dude you are generous but you do get the point spread assistance. You get 1.5. Never know when 1.5 points will come in handy.

I'll take KC -3.5 over the Bills

Ravens -7.5 over the Eagles (I hate that .5 though...)

Dolphins -8.5 over the Jets, mostly because I enjoy it when the Jets lose badly

And I'll take the Pack -1.5 over TB. Mostly because you're both in on this game and I want a piece of the action.