American football thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Norwood: NW3.5
Regimen: Alcohol coping mechanism

American football thread

Post by blackg » 1 month ago

I'll take:

Titans over Jaguars

Tampa Bay over Carolina

Raiders @home over the Saints.

Goodluck @nameless and @Yettee.
the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom (but just say no)

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

American football thread

Post by yettee » 1 month ago

blackg wrote: 1 month ago I'll take:

Titans over Jaguars

Tampa Bay over Carolina

G:

I guess these picks are without the spread... ya?

If so I'll need to modify my betting practices as nameless is also picking with no spread. I can't very well be the only one picking with a point spread. I wasn't born yesterday. We at "Lock of the Week" do need to protect our interests, after all.

I will say that both of you have gone out on a limb and picked underdogs to win with one of your picks. But still. They are mostly favorites.

Thank you for any help you can provide in this matter.

nameless
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: None at this time.

American football thread

Post by nameless » 1 month ago

yettee wrote: 1 month ago G:

I guess these picks are without the spread... ya?

If so I'll need to modify my betting practices as nameless is also picking with no spread. I can't very well be the only one picking with a point spread. I wasn't born yesterday. We at "Lock of the Week" do need to protect our interests, after all.

I will say that both of you have gone out on a limb and picked underdogs to win with one of your picks. But still. They are mostly favorites.

Thank you for any help you can provide in this matter.
My picks are without the spread. Of course you can also pick without the spread.

Added in 5 minutes 19 seconds:
blackg wrote: 1 month ago I'll take:

Titans over Jaguars

Tampa Bay over Carolina

Blackg, have you seen the Titans injury report? It's pretty bad.

Their #1 receiver (A.j. Brown) is out.

Their #2 receiver (Corey Davis) is questionable.

Their #1 OL (Lewan Taylor) is questionable.

Their #2 RB (Darrynton Evans) is out.

Their #1 Cornerback is out

Their #2 Cornerback is expected to play but he is injured and could be pulled out at any moment.

Their #3 EDGE (Vic Beasley) is out.

This is a disaster.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

American football thread

@Yetttee I haven't even looked at the spread for these games to be honest. But starting next week I'll definitely be including the points spread in my picks.

@nameless I only knew about half of those injured Titans but I'll stick with em.

Next week it gets harder - with the spread. You should join this regime to, nameless, otherwise you have an unfair advantage.
Besides: a man with your football knowledge should be able to navigate the spread.

nameless
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

American football thread

blackg wrote: 1 month ago @Yetttee I haven't even looked at the spread for these games to be honest. But starting next week I'll definitely be including the points spread in my picks.

@nameless I only knew about half of those injured Titans but I'll stick with em.

Next week it gets harder - with the spread. You should join this regime to, nameless, otherwise you have an unfair advantage.
Besides: a man with your football knowledge should be able to navigate the spread.
I know you don't know half of the Titans players that are out. That's why I gave you their position and what their ranks are. They are missing too many of their top players at key positions to win. If the Titans win even though they're missing multiple key players that means they are a major powerhouse.

I'm not doing the spreads. That's not how I've done my bets at BetMGM this year.

Added in 2 minutes 5 seconds:
I'm adding one more pick for a total of 6 picks.

I'm picking the Saints over the Raiders in Paradise Nevada.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

American football thread

Saints over the Raiders! Damn, the Raiders are my lock of the week. What with it being their opening game in Vegas, and all.

Edit: the Saints are favoured by 4.5.

As of Saturday 19th September 10:20 pm eastern (U.S.) the Titans are 7.5 point favorites against the Jags. I'm sticking with the Titans and this could be the game of the week!

What are your thoughts, @Yettee, @nameless.

nameless
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

American football thread

blackg wrote: 1 month ago Saints over the Raiders! Damn, the Raiders are my lock of the week. What with it being their opening game in Vegas, and all.

Edit: the Saints are favoured by 4.5.

As of Saturday 19th September 10:20 pm eastern (U.S.) the Titans are 7.5 point favorites against the Jags. I'm sticking with the Titans and this could be the game of the week!

What are your thoughts, @Yettee, @nameless.
Every article I've read about the Titans versus Jags points out that the Titans have a lot of injuries to key players. The Jags literally have NO key injuries. None. Their only injury is to their #3 TE. Whoop dee doo. An injury to the Jaguars #3TE won't slow the Jaguars down.

The Titans are missing their #1 CB and their #2 CB is injured and could see limited action.

The Titans are also missing their #1 WR and their #2 WR is injured and could see limited action.

Their best OL - Lewan Taylor - is questionable and may see limited action.

Their #1 Free Safety is questionable and will probably see limited action.

Their RB2 is out and will not play so there won't be much rest for Derrick Henry.

The Titans are an injury mess.
I'm picking the jaguars for this game but I admit that I hope the Titans win.
Last edited by nameless 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

American football thread

blackg wrote: 1 month ago @Yetttee I haven't even looked at the spread for these games to be honest. But starting next week I'll definitely be including the points spread in my picks.

That is some serious analysis by nameless, it's impressive. But I'm also going to pick the Titans (to win).

And yeah, of course nameless can use any picking regime he wants... but there's no sense in comparing bet win percentages between us unless we all bet the same way. It's much much easier to pick winners without the line.

Tough call this week. But I'll go with the Bills -5.5 at the Dolphins for this week's Lock of the Week.

nameless
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

American football thread

You guys made a good pick with the Titans win. I take my hat off to you two on that pick. I'm very surprised that the Titans won. They came very close to losing.

Anyway, so far I'm 4 out of 5 for week 2, which is 66.67%

I only have one more pick. It's the Saints game. I'm either going to end up 4/6 or 5/6.
Last edited by nameless 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

American football thread

You did alright yourself, nameless. And the Titans game seemed like a close one. I will try and watch it on YouTube.

Tomorrow night should be interesting:
Go the Silver and Black!

nameless
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

American football thread

blackg wrote: 1 month ago You did alright yourself, nameless. And the Titans game seemed like a close one. I will try and watch it on YouTube.

Tomorrow night should be interesting:
Go the Silver and Black!
The Titans nearly lost the game. The Jaguars contained Henry for most of the game. The Jags QB (Minshew) took the Titans secondary apart most of the game, and especially during the 2nd half. But the Jags QB also threw 2 interceptions while the Titans QB had no interceptions. One of the Jaguar interceptions was on the final drive of the game as the Jags were moving downfield to tie the game with a FG or win the game with a TD. The QB's pass was blocked at the line of scrimmage, the ball went up in the air and came down into the hands of Titans OLB Harold Landry. That's what sealed the Titans win.

in my opinion the best Titans player on the field today was QB Ryan Tannehill. He completed 75% of his passes for 238 yards and 4 TDs. Titans SAFETY Kenny Vaccaro also had a good game and like I said OLB Harold Landry snagged the interception (on the last play of the game) that sealed the Titans victory. Even though the Titans won this game they can't beat the Chiefs if they keep playing at this level. They need their injured players to get healthy and they need their new players to get acclimated to the team and the NFL.
Last edited by nameless 1 month ago, edited 3 times in total.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

American football thread

@Yettee was close with his Bills pick. The Bills won by three.

nameless
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

American football thread

blackg wrote: 1 month ago @Yettee was close with his Bills pick. The Bills won by three.
So far no team has looked great both weeks. I thought KC looked pretty good last week but then they went out and barely beat the Chargers (by 3) and they had to go to OT to get the W. The next 2 weeks should tell us a lot about the Chiefs because they have to play the Ravens and the Patriots.

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

American football thread

blackg wrote: 1 month ago @Yettee was close with his Bills pick. The Bills won by three.
Well... close ain't good enough. Not for a Lock of the Week.

That's why picking with the spread is the only way to go. As far as picking winners go, as the Bills won, I am a perfect 4-0 this year, but only 2-1 with the spread. This week it was easy to pick the 49ers, Ravens, Chiefs to win, but the Chiefs didn't cover the spread. If a person will pick without the spread he should expect to win at least 80% of his picks.

The Dolphins are a funny team. They are bad but they can keep it close, and pull off an upset. That's due to Fitzpatrick who is usually bad but sometimes great...

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

American football thread

Dolphins play this Thursday night against the Jaguars.
I don't know who to pick.