American football thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Re: American football thread

Post by yettee » 2 weeks ago

nameless wrote:
2 weeks ago
It;s a close game. It could go either way. The Titans defense is soft on the right side.They need to step up.
Really good game, started watching a little while ago.

I'll take the Seahawks -1.5 at the Eagles.

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: None at this time.

Post by nameless » 2 weeks ago

yettee wrote:
2 weeks ago
Really good game, started watching a little while ago.

I'll take the Seahawks -1.5 at the Eagles.
I could be wrong but I think the Titans will win this game.

The Titans officially won. The Titan officially brought down the Patriots dynasty and they may have sent Brady into retirement.

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

nameless wrote:
2 weeks ago
I could be wrong but I think the Titans will win this game.

The Titans officially won. The Titan officially brought down the Patriots dynasty and they may have sent Brady into retirement.
Congrats on your titans, nameless.

If this is it for brady, it would be a heck of a way to go out, on a pick-6. It does look like he was planning to retire, but I bet it will make him reconsider. I'd imagine that he might push the Pats to sign a premier receiver (antonio brown, again, or odell beckham jr?) and go for a SB win next year, then retire.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 2 weeks ago

What a game!!
I'm happy and sad all at the same time.
Happy for the Titans and nameless, sad for the Patriots, and by extension, America.

Derrick Henry ran like a beast today, 182 rushing yards plus about 20 more on a screen play.
The Titans thoroughly deserve this hard fought win even if that win has put to bed a dynasty that I don't think we'll ever see again.

This is a sad day for America.
I guess it had to end one day.
Oh Canada, save us all.

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

blackg wrote:
2 weeks ago
What a game!!
I'm happy and sad all at the same time.
Happy for the Titans and nameless, sad for the Patriots, and by extension, America.

Derrick Henry ran like a beast today, 182 rushing yards plus about 20 more on a screen play.
The Titans thoroughly deserve this hard fought win even if that win has put to bed a dynasty that I don't think we'll ever see again.

This is a sad day for America.
I guess it had to end one day.
Well... most Americans don't like the Patriots and will be happy to see their dynasty end. So it kinda depends who yer a fan of. In any case I'm happy for nameless, he's proven himself to be a loyal fan.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

@nameless and @Yettee what are your predictions for the game of the year:

Baltimore at home against the cheeky upstart home-wreckers that are the Tennessee Titans?
I'm seeing a line of 9.5 to the underdog men from Tennessee, though this line could differ in North America.
Oh Canada, save us all.

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

blackg wrote:
2 weeks ago
@nameless and @Yettee what are your predictions for the game of the year:

Baltimore at home against the cheeky upstart home-wreckers that are the Tennessee Titans?
I'm seeing a line of 9.5 to the underdog men from Tennessee, though this line could differ in North America.
Well.. as for the winner, I pick the Ravens.

9.5 is really a lot of points. But... I'll take the Ravens to cover the 9.5, too. They are a powerhouse, a historically great team. The Titans seem solid and are playing well but to some extent they must be satisfied to just be where they are. Their win over the Patriots was impressive but the Patriots have been shaky for a few weeks so perhaps the win doesn't say that much about the Titans. The Ravens on the other hand will be disappointed with anything other than a super bowl win, so they'll be highly motivated to go nuts.

Your picks, Sirs?

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

@Yettee your pick is noted.

I have a feeling the Titans may ruin the
fairytale Baltimore Ravens season. I'll take the Tits by 10.

@nameless come on mate, I need your prediction.
Oh Canada, save us all.

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by nameless » 2 weeks ago

blackg wrote:
2 weeks ago
@Yettee your pick is noted.

I have a feeling the Titans may ruin the
fairytale Baltimore Ravens season. I'll take the Tits by 10.

@nameless come on mate, I need your prediction.
i'm taking the titans in decent weather.
the best thing about the ravens is there running game and the titans have a good running game too and i think tannehill's passing is as good as jackson's if you look at the stats instead of the hype.
Last edited by nameless 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

nameless wrote:
2 weeks ago
i'm taking the titans in decent weather.
the best thing about the ravens is there running game and the titans have a good running game too and i think tannehill's passing is as good as jackson's if you look at the stats.
Ya they are similar teams. I think the Ravens are significantly better, but we will see! The Titans are on a roll and maybe the Ravens will be a little rusty after the bye week.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 1 week ago

Can the Titans reduce Lamar Jackson's scrambling and keep him in the pocket for most of the Ravens pass plays?

That is the key for me.
Oh Canada, save us all.

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by yettee » 1 week ago

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
Can the Titans reduce Lamar Jackson's scrambling and keep him in the pocket for most of the Ravens pass plays?

That is the key for me.
I could be wrong, clearly... :D but I feel like it could be a Ravens blowout.

Lamar is difficult to contain. He'll probably score his points. So I feel like the Titans, to have a chance to win, will have to score a ton.

Whatever happens, I think Tannehill has to be really pleased with his season. And the trajectory of his career as compared to a year ago...

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by nameless » 1 week ago

blackg wrote:
1 week ago

That is the key for me.
i agree but i also think that the ravens will have a difficult time shutting down a. j. brown and even stacking the box won't stop derrick henry.

i think the team that wins will be the team who's defense steps up. The titans are without ILB Jayon Brown and that could hurt them but the titans have lots of other stars on defense and offense. The ravens won't beat the titans simply because the titans are missing one man. The ravens will have to overcome the entire titans' team, and the titans play well together. They're a very cohesive team.

And the titans are playing tough hard nosed football, the team is well-coached for their pitbull style of play, the players are playing the best they can for each other, and the players believe in their team. I predict that the titans will take a physical & talented game to Baltimore. i think Baltimore's a cushy team and the Titans will come at them hard, tough, and with lot of stars.

Added in 11 minutes 46 seconds:
yettee wrote:
1 week ago

Lamar is difficult to contain.
is derrick henry easy to contain?

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 1 week ago

Half an hour 'til kick off.
I'm really excited about this game because I'm captured by the idea of an underdog possibly shocking the world and beating the number one team in the nation.

I just hope it isn't a blowout as @Yettee has predicted.
The rationalist in me says he's right, the romantic in me says the Titans will prevail.
We will know in about 4 hours.

Roll Tide, roll Henry!

Added in 6 minutes 29 seconds:
nameless wrote:
1 week ago
is derrick henry easy to contain?
Let's hope not but Yettee makes a fine point about containing Lamar.
Oh Canada, save us all.

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by nameless » 1 week ago

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
Half an hour 'til kick off.
I'm really excited about this game because I'm captured by the idea of an underdog possibly shocking the world and beating the number one team in the nation.

I just hope it isn't a blowout as @Yettee has predicted.
The rationalist in me says he's right, the romantic in me says the Titans will prevail.
We will know in about 4 hours.

Roll Tide, roll Henry!

Added in 6 minutes 29 seconds:

Let's hope not but Yettee makes a fine point about containing Lamar.
This is why the Titans will miss Jayon Brown tonight. He's their best coverage ILB and he's a wolf. His absence makes it easier for Jackson to set up runs on the right side with effective throws to TEs and RBs on the right side. With Jayon Brown out the Titans can't simply send him to cover backs and TEs heading into space on the right side. They have to watch for that plus also they have to also watch for Jackson to run it on the right side instead. It creates confusion for the Titans' defense.

The Titans are having David Long replace Jayon Brown for tonight's game. David Long is a Jayon Brown clone with very similar skills but there is one catch - David Long was a 6th round draft pick in this year's draft. It's hard to imagine that a 6th round draft pick this year can replace an elite coverage ILB like Jayon Brown. On the positive side David Long is a highly aggressive beast and he lays BIG hits on opponents. He hits with so much intensity that the team is coaching him to pull back some. He's fast for an ILB and he has some instincts for the ball. I don't believe he can play up to Brown's level because Brown has has a couple of years of experience but what he lacks in experience he makes up for with aggressive defensive play and hits. He puts everything he's got into games. I don't think that Ravens TEs and RBs are going to like getting smacked by him one bit.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still taking the Titans. They have a lot of star players so I don't think the absence of Jayon Brown will be enough to bring the team down and I think 6th round pick ILB David Long will play tough and fast tonight in place of Jayon Brown.

I predict a hard-hitting game.