American football thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: None at this time.

Re: American football thread

Post by nameless » 1 month ago

The Titans lost. This means I'll probably lose the bet I made before the season started. I bet that the Titans would go to the playoffs and it's going to be very hard for the Titans to go to the playoffs now. Their fate is no longer in their hands. Now, they must win both of their last 2 games plus they need certain other teams to lose games. I think they're out of the post-season.

After today's performance I really don't think they can win their last 2 games. Their next game is against a badass New Orleans Saints team and then they play against the same Houston team that beat them today but they have to play that game in Houston and monster DT J. J. Watt says he might be back by then.
Last edited by nameless 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 1 month ago

It's disappointing as I was hoping for a Titans win and a playoff run.
Oh Canada, save us all.

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

blackg wrote:
1 month ago
It's disappointing as I was hoping for a Titans win and a playoff run.
They're not mathematically eliminated yet but they would have to win both of their last 2 games plus either Pittsburgh or Buffalo would have to lose two of their last 3 games. They (Pittsburgh and Buffalo) are playing each other tonight and one of them will lose that game. So the loser of that game tonight would just have to lose one more game and then Tennessee would go to the playoffs if Tennessee wins its' last 2 games. But who believes that the Titans can beat the New Orleans Saints in Tennessee and then beat the Houston Texans in Houston? I don't believe it.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

@Yettee @nameless

This week I'm hoping Tampa Bay beat Houston, and the Titans can get past New Orleans.
That will help the Titans playoff hopes immensely.

Then... I'll worry about next week.
Oh Canada, save us all.

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

blackg wrote:
1 month ago
@Yettee @nameless

This week I'm hoping Tampa Bay beat Houston, and the Titans can get past New Orleans.
That will help the Titans playoff hopes immensely.

Then... I'll worry about next week.
Right now the Titans do not have control of their destiny. But if Tampa Bay were to beat Houston and the Titans were to beat the Saints then the Titans would regain control of their destiny, especially if the Steelers also lose to the Jets. If those 3 things happen then the Titans will be in total control of their destiny.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

nameless wrote:
1 month ago
Right now the Titans do not have control of their destiny. But if Tampa Bay were to beat Houston and the Titans were to beat the Saints then the Titans would regain control of their destiny, especially if the Steelers also lose to the Jets. If those 3 things happen then the Titans will be in total control of their destiny.
What are your picks for the weekend?
Also, @Yettee what are your picks for this penultimate round?
Oh Canada, save us all.

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 1 month ago

blackg wrote:
1 month ago
What are your picks for the weekend?
Also, @Yettee what are your picks for this penultimate round?
What up G, nameless.

So we don't feel very strongly about any of these games, but we'll be taking

CHIEFS -5.5 @ BEARS

STEELERS -3 @ JETS

Chiefs are much, much better than the Bears. Steelers are better than the Jets, with a whole lot of motivation to win.

Good luck with your Titans!!

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

yettee wrote:
1 month ago
What up G, nameless.

So we don't feel very strongly about any of these games, but we'll be taking

CHIEFS -5.5 @ BEARS

STEELERS -3 @ JETS

Chiefs are much, much better than the Bears. Steelers are better than the Jets, with a whole lot of motivation to win.

Good luck with your Titans!!
I'll take the Titans over the Saints because the Titans know they need it desperately and the game is played in Tennessee.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Damn Bucks!! Houston win it 23-20. It was close but a missed field goal and 4 picks by Jameis Winston (4!) was the death knell for Tampa Bay.

Titans will probably miss the playoffs.
Oh Canada, save us all.

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

blackg wrote:
1 month ago
Damn Bucks!! Houston win it 23-20. It was close but a missed field goal and 4 picks by Jameis Winston (4!) was the death knell for Tampa Bay.

Titans will probably miss the playoffs.
4 picks by Winston. Ridiculous.

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 1 month ago

nameless wrote:
1 month ago
4 picks by Winston. Ridiculous.
For me its always interesting to follow the progress (or lack thereof) of the #1 draft picks, in both the NFL and NBA. Winston was seen as a lock, a prodigy who couldnt fail, but there were doubts about his off the field behavior. Ironically I think he's kept himself out of trouble for the most part since joining the league (?) but he's very inconsistent on the field.

Mahomes was a #10 pick, Lamar Jackson #32, lol

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

I'm pulling for the Jets and the Titans. And I'm also pulling for the Cleveland Browns.

Go Jets!!!!!!!!

Go Titans !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cleveland Browns !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the Browns beat the Ravens then the Patriots and Ravens will be tied and that will force the Ravens to play their starters against the Steelers the last game of the season. If the Ravens beat the Browns today then there won't be a reason for the Ravens to play their starters and the Steelers likely get an easy win against the Ravens 2nd stringers next week.

Obviously if the Titans win today they'll be 9 & 6 and that means they'll have a winning season starting today and they could temporarily hold the 6th wild card spot at least for this week if the Steelers lose.

If the Steelers lose today then the Titans will be back in control of their destiny even of the Titans lose today. If the Steelers lose today and the Titans beat the Texans (in Texas) next week then the Titans go to the playoffs.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

nameless wrote:
1 month ago
If the Steelers lose today then the Titans will be back in control of their destiny even of the Titans lose today. If the Steelers lose today and the Titans beat the Texans (in Texas) next week then the Titans go to the playoffs.
This now is our only hope.
Oh Canada, save us all.

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

blackg wrote:
1 month ago
This now is our only hope.
Part of what the Titans needed to happen did happen. The Steelers lost. This loss shows that the Steelers are not really a playoff worthy team. On the other hand the Titans did put up a good fight against the elite Saints. And the Titans would have probably won against the Saints if the refs didn't make a bad call by not throwing a flag against the Saints defender for hitting the Titans receiver, Kalif Raymond, in the head. It was an obvious & cheap headshot that should have been called as unnecessary roughness. Instead the refs let the headshot go unpunished and when the Titans receiver let go of the ball because he was unconscious, the Saints made the recovery and took it down field well into Titans territory. It resulted in a Saints TD. Plus, the spot where the Saints defender hit the Titans receiver in the head, which resulted in a concussion for the defenseless receiver, plus the penalty yardage for unnecessary roughness would have resulted in the Titans being in New Orleans territory headed for a score. And there was only 4 minutes left in the game at that point. The Titans would have likely scored one more time in those 4 minutes and put the game away.

If you look at the video you will see an obvious & hard hit to the head of a defenseless receiver.

https://sports.yahoo.com/officials-miss ... 46250.html

https://brobible.com/sports/article/tit ... nd-saints/
Last edited by nameless 4 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by nameless » 4 weeks ago

I'm not going to make my picks for this week until I see who is starting for the Ravens and the Texans. If the Ravens start enough starters they could beat the Steelers even if Lamar Jackson doesn't play. More importantly, since the Houston/Titans game was moved to later in the day that means the results of the Kansas City/Chargers game could be known by the time the Texans and Titans play. This is a big deal because if the Chiefs win against the Chargers the Texans would gain absolutely nothing if they play their starters against the Titans and the Texans could actually hurt their chances of going deep into the playoffs, and maybe even to the Superbowl, since one or more of their starters could be injured in the game against the Titans.

I need to see who the Ravens will be starting and if the Texans will start their starters for a full game, for part of the game, or none of the game before I make my picks. I'll probably make my picks 10 minutes before the Titans/Texans game.

I will say now that if the Titans face Houston's 2nd stringers then I'm definitely taking the Titans over the Texans if the Titans have Adoree Jackson back and Derrick Henry and Jefferey Simmons.

And I'm taking the Ravens over the Steelers no matter what.