American football thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Re: American football thread

Post by yettee » 1 week ago

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
I've just realized the pun in your Early Bird Special title.
No pun intended, I guess I'm even punnier than I thought I was!

What's the pun, bird/jet?

by the way the big game this weekend is of course 49ers/Ravens. That's some matchup.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 1 week ago

yettee wrote:
1 week ago
No pun intended, I guess I'm even punnier than I thought I was!

What's the pun, bird/jet?

by the way the big game this weekend is of course 49ers/Ravens. That's some matchup.
Yeah mate, the bird/jet pun.

Ravens look unstoppable.
Lamar already has his name on the season MVP trophy.
For the love of South Western skies.

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
Ravens look unstoppable.
Lamar already has his name on the season MVP trophy.
Agreed. Very hard to pick against them.

If its a close game I don't think this game means much, 2 great teams, anything can happen. But a big win by either team would be a statement. If the Ravens roll off like a 20+ point win I think it'll be pretty demoralizing to the 9ers, they'll have to question their very identity, lol

Am excited to see how the Patriots deal with the Ravens at some point. You know Belichick is working out very intense schemes for them, lol again

good nfl season

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: None at this time.

Post by nameless » 1 week ago

The Cowboys and Bills are playing now.The Cowboys have pulled out ahead 7 to 0 in the first quarter. The Bills are 8/3 and the Cowboys are 6/5. The Bills are similar to the Colts in the sense that their players aren't household name stud type players. The only name I know on the Bills is Josh Allen. I really don't think the Bills seem like an 8/3 team even though that id their record. I think they had a weak schedule and got kind of lucky so far.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

nameless wrote:
1 week ago
The Cowboys and Bills are playing now.The Cowboys have pulled out ahead 7 to 0 in the first quarter. The Bills are 8/3 and the Cowboys are 6/5. The Bills are similar to the Colts in the sense that their players aren't household name stud type players. The only name I know on the Bills is Josh Allen. I really don't think the Bills seem like an 8/3 team even though that id their record. I think they had a weak schedule and got kind of lucky so far.
Who are you supporting on this Thanksgiving night?

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
Who are you supporting on this Thanksgiving night?
I was rooting for the Cowboys and Saints so I already lost the Cowboys game.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

@Yettee the Jets minus 3.5 points are paying an even $2 on my betting agency.

So if I chuck $100 on, I get back $200. Temping... I will decide tonight after a few brews.

Oh.. Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends.

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
@Yettee the Jets minus 3.5 points are paying an even $2 on my betting agency.

So if I chuck $100 on, I get back $200. Temping... I will decide tonight after a few brews.

Oh.. Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends.
You may be brewed up at this very moment.

Are you gonna go for it? If so I wish you the best of luck. Please don't blame me if I cost you $100.

It does seem like a good bet though. Feels like the line should be higher. I suppose the wild cards are, 1. The Jets are known for being the one win for teams that otherwise lose every game, they don't play well against bad teams. They lost to the freaking Dolphins this year. 2. The Bengals will be using their regular QB, who has been benched for a few weeks. He'll have a lot of motivation to overperform and get his job back.

That said the Jets have been a very good team recently and the Bengals are terrible. They have a QB who is playing very well. -3.5 isn't much. Jets all the way.

Just don't bet the rent money. :D

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you and the entire impact community. :D

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

My final picks are

1. Titans over the Colts
2. Chiefs over the Raiders
3. Browns over the Steelers

I dropped my pick of the Patriots over Houston because 17 of the Patriot players are listed as "questionable" for Sunday's game. I doubt if even the Patriots can overcome a handicap like that. But the Texans aren't a very balanced team so I'm not picking them either, especially since a lot of those 17 "questionable" Patriot players are 2nd string players.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

yettee wrote:
1 week ago
You may be brewed up at this very moment.

Are you gonna go for it? If so I wish you the best of luck. Please don't blame me if I cost you $100.

It does seem like a good bet though. Feels like the line should be higher. I suppose the wild cards are, 1. The Jets are known for being the one win for teams that otherwise lose every game, they don't play well against bad teams. They lost to the freaking Dolphins this year. 2. The Bengals will be using their regular QB, who has been benched for a few weeks. He'll have a lot of motivation to overperform and get his job back.

That said the Jets have been a very good team recently and the Bengals are terrible. They have a QB who is playing very well. -3.5 isn't much. Jets all the way.

Just don't bet the rent money. :D

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you and the entire impact community. :D
Well, what I did was, I played it conservatively.
I put $50 on the Jets to win -3.5, then I also put a sneaky $5 on Cincinnati to win by 14 points or more; this was paying $8.

You could say I had a bet each way.

Added in 11 minutes :
nameless wrote:
1 week ago
My final picks are

1. Titans over the Colts
2. Chiefs over the Raiders
3. Browns over the Steelers
We will see how these picks go, mate. The only point of difference I have is that I think the Raaaiders will beat Kansas City.

I think the Chiefs are done for the year.

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
I put $50 on the Jets to win -3.5, then I also put a sneaky $5 on Cincinnati to win by 14 points or more; this was paying $8.

Added in 11 minutes :

We will see how these picks go, mate. The only point of difference I have is that I think the Raaaiders will beat Kansas City.

The Chiefs are 7/4 and they're in the thick of the playoff hunt. Plus, I can't bring myself to bet against Mahomes versus the Raiders in Kansas City.

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

blackg wrote:
1 week ago

Added in 11 minutes :

LOL, Jets...

So what did your sneaky $5 pay out?! That was huge.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

You were right about the Patriots, @nameless and you were 2 of 3 in your main picks. Well done.

Added in 3 minutes 30 seconds:
yettee wrote:
1 week ago
LOL, Jets...

So what did your sneaky $5 pay out?! That was huge.
Well mate I got odds of 8 to 1, so a $40 return on the sneaky. I Only lost $10 all up. My kids can still eat for a few nights.

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by nameless » 4 days ago

Right now the Titans injury report is awful.

Jackson and Sims, running back

RB Derrick Henry didn't practice at all, receiver Corey Davis didn't practice at all, receiver Adam Humphries didn't practice at all, the center Ben Jones didn't practice at all, and neither did cornerback Adoree Jackson or CB LeShaun Sims. This is really bad. These are all starters and they're key starters, especially the two cornerbacks (Jackson and Sims). At cornerback they were already missing starter Malcolm Butler for the season Then Sims got hurt so he's out and now Adoree Jackson is out at least for now. That means 3 of their top four cornerbacks are out right now. That's really bad, especially considering that the team has to go against teams with good passing games the next 4 games.

The first game is against the Raiders in Oakland and Raider's QB Derek Carr is pretty good in Oakland. They're 5/1 for the season at home and with the Titans missing 3 of their top 4 corners I would pick the Raiders if this game was being played today. I'll wait for the final injury report before making my pick though because things could change for the better or for the worse in days.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 4 days ago

nameless wrote:
4 days ago
Right now the Titans injury report is awful.

Jackson and Sims, running back

RB Derrick Henry didn't practice at all, receiver Corey Davis didn't practice at all, receiver Adam Humphries didn't practice at all, the center Ben Jones didn't practice at all, and neither did cornerback Adoree Jackson or CB LeShaun Sims. This is really bad. These are all starters and they're key starters, especially the two cornerbacks (Jackson and Sims). At cornerback they were already missing starter Malcolm Butler for the season Then Sims got hurt so he's out and now Adoree Jackson is out at least for now. That means 3 of their top four cornerbacks are out right now. That's really bad, especially considering that the team has to go against teams with good passing games the next 4 games.

The first game is against the Raiders in Oakland and Raider's QB Derek Carr is pretty good in Oakland. They're 5/1 for the season at home and with the Titans missing 3 of their top 4 corners I would pick the Raiders if this game was being played today. I'll wait for the final injury report before making my pick though because things could change for the better or for the worse in days.
I know, it's looking bad for the Titans secondary but I just hope Adoree Jackson can be fit by game time.
That will help.

EDIT:

Damn, I just checked my betting agency and the Titans are actually favored by 2.5.

Good sign? Bad sign?