American football thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: None at this time.

American football thread

Post by nameless » 1 week ago

The Tennessee Titans went into the Browns' stadium today and kicked ass.

It was great to see. The Titans are my favorite team and they're looking good.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Re: American football thread

Post by blackg » 1 week ago

Yes, namejob..

I was watching these results as they were coming in. I practically stayed up all night as this game was played between 3am to around 6am local time.

It's funny as I'm not even shocked by results like this anymore.
I've seen it way too many times when the off season hype machine (in this case the Cleveland Browns) get "unexpectedly" humiliated on opening day.

Also, expect the Titans to go down next week versus the Colts. They're shit!
Don't kneel because you feel

C4L
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3.5
Regimen: none

Post by C4L » 1 week ago

it is not a football
Russians must save Europe from the racist liberal elite.

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
Yes, namejob..

I was watching these results as they were coming in. I practically stayed up all night as this game was played between 3am to around 6am local time.

It's funny as I'm not even shocked by results like this anymore.
I've seen it way too many times when the off season hype machine (in this case the Cleveland Browns) get "unexpectedly" humiliated on opening day.

Also, expect the Titans to go down next week versus the Colts. They're shit!
You do know that Andrew Luck retired from football don't you? There's an old football saying that says on any given Sunday any team can win, but it's hard to imagine the Colts winning now that Andrew Luck has retired. Plus, Sunday's Titans/Colts game will be in Tennessee.
Last edited by nameless 1 week ago, edited 2 times in total.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

nameless wrote:
1 week ago
You do know that Andrew Luck retired from football don't you? I go along with the saying that says on any given Sunday any team can win but it's hard to imagine the Colts winning now that Andrew Luck has retired. The Titans/Colts game this Sunday will be in Tennessee.
Colts by 20, mate.

Added in 8 hours 2 minutes 58 seconds:
C4L wrote:
1 week ago
it is not a football
It's our football, so butt out, Ruskie.

Added in 10 minutes 53 seconds:
@nameless Mate, we should try to keep this thread active by talking about the NFL every week -- things like upcoming games, surprising results and so-forth.
We can even talk more about the Titans if you like.
I hope you're in.

Speaking of the Titans, they are only 3.5 point favorites for Sundays game against the Colts.

Miami are a shocking 18 point underdogs against the Patriots.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 1 week ago

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
Colts by 20, mate.

Added in 8 hours 2 minutes 58 seconds:

It's our football, so butt out, Ruskie.

Added in 10 minutes 53 seconds:
@nameless Mate, we should try to keep this thread active by talking about the NFL every week -- things like upcoming games, surprising results and so-forth.
We can even talk more about the Titans if you like.
I hope you're in.

Speaking of the Titans, they are only 3.5 point favorites for Sundays game against the Colts.

Miami are a shocking 18 point underdogs against the Patriots.
You just like our cheerleaders.

How come Europe doesn’t have cheerleaders in their teams?

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Hairblues wrote:
1 week ago
You just like our cheerleaders.

How come Europe doesn’t have cheerleaders in their teams?
Cheerleaders don't do much for me, Hairblues. My tastes in women are more eccentric.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 1 week ago

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
Cheerleaders don't do much for me, Hairblues. My tastes in women are more eccentric.
Eccentric=bad

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

4 more days and the Titans will be 2 and O.

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

2 more days.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Did you see the Carolina Panthers play on Thursday night? God they were woeful.

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 1 week ago

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
Cam Newton has been a huge disappointment.
As for our convo about the Giants' Daniel Jones, another couple of losses and we may well see the kid play.
Will be interesting to see if the Pats run up the score, or play it cool considering all the negative attention this week

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

yettee wrote:
1 week ago
Cam Newton has been a huge disappointment.
As for our convo about the Giants' Daniel Jones, another couple of losses and we may well see the kid play.
Will be interesting to see if the Pats run up the score, or play it cool considering all the negative attention this week
Yeah mate, I think the Giants play Buffalo this weekend.
I really hope Jones gets some playing time soon. I like Eli Manning but I think he has had his day, plus an illustrious career.

Hey, it's funny how you mention whether the Pats will run up the score against the Dolphins on Sunday.
I've always been confused by this uniquely American concern.

The difference between Australian and American sporting cultures seems to be that our teams have no compunction about running up a big score against the opposition.
Don't get me wrong, our sporting teams have respect for each other , but if an opposition is not good enough on the day well...

Our culture is very much "play to the final whistle" and show little mercy.
In fact, it's expected (regardless of external factors) when a good team is playing one of lower standard.
The coach wouldn't have it any other way.
Anyway, I've always wondered why you Americans have this chivalry regarding your sporting opponent.

I'd like to hear your opinion on this because you have upper level IQ and a feel for the culture.

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
And the Titans play the Panthers on November 3. The Titans could win that game.

Everyone keeps talking about how the Titans have a tough schedule but really it doesn't look all that hard to me. For example, the Browns were supposed to be an impossible game for the Titans to win but presto the Titans won big.

And just in case you don't know, when the Titans beat the highly-respected Browns by 30 points last Sunday the Titans were without their best offensive lineman, Taylor Lewan. He's an all-pro, pro-bowl offensive lineman. Their OL will be much better when they get him back starting their 5th game. The Titans were also without their newest 1st round draft pick from this year's draft. His name is Jefferey Simmons, he's a defensive lineman, and he's a total badass. He was expected to be a top-5 pick in the draft but then he tore his ACL so he dropped to the Titans at number 19. He's on injured reserve and he can't play until he's healthy again. I'm thinking he could start playing by mid-season. And the Titans 3rd round pick in this year's draft, Nate Davis, missed almost all of pre-season and training camp with an injury so he missed a lot of education about football in the NFL. But he's full practice now so I'm thinking he could be ready to play by midseason. I think he has the potential to start. What all of this means is that by midseason the Titans could be VASTLY better than the they were when they beat the much-respected Browns by 30 points.

The thing is that the Titans need to win as many of these early games as they can while they're waiting for Taylor Lewan, Jefferey Simmons, and Nate Davis to get on the field, which will make the team much MUCH better.
Last edited by nameless 1 week ago, edited 5 times in total.

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 1 week ago

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
I'd like to hear your opinion on this because you have upper level IQ and a feel for the culture.
lol... well from one upper level IQ to another... :)

Of course I really don't know. But speculating... in truth, Americans just don't take sports that seriously. We do love our NBA, NFL, MLB, but it's kind of always a joke, even for the most die-hard fans. It's just a fun thing to wear an oversize jersey on a Sunday and pig out on hot dogs, no one takes it that seriously. It's goofy. Sports radio is all laughter and fake rants. There are no hooligans, no racist chants, no throwing bananas at black players on other teams etc (and on the rare occasion something like that does happen there are immediate lifetime bans) or calling other teams Jews or Nazis or swastika graffiti or whatever as happens with rival football teams in Europe, just no real animosity at all toward other cities or their teams. And we care not at all, 0, about how American teams do internationally.... Olympics, World Cup, international baseball, tennis, whatever, it's a "meh" for everybody whether we win or lose. It just doesn't matter. For me, growing up, the Red Sox were the enemy of my team, but my favorite player was Wade Boggs, a Red Sox. Didn't matter, and I think that kind of thing was common.

Anyway, being that US sports are basically all in fun and there's never any real animosity, most people get turned off by seeing an "enemy" player or team get truly embarrassed. And it IS embarrassing to lose an NFL game by 45 points, a baseball game by 15 runs, etc. People kind of cringe to see a rookie kid pitcher get really clobbered by a team, even their own team. As it's all in fun, seeing these men on the verge of tears is a kind of unnecessary and unhappy experience. I think we'd rather pat each other on the back, say 'good game', and then tease each other over beers.

As you mentioned, in Australia, too, teams respect each other, and there's also no real animosity. (Probably it has to do with Aus being a huge isolated island, much as we see ourselves in N. America). But Australia also participates in and cares about how it does internationally, and is still culturally connected to the UK, so maybe its sporting culture has a little bit of an edge to it that ours doesn't have? I don't know.

It's a good question, I'm curious if other US sports fans like nameless or Prime Minister Clark agree with my rambling or have a different take...?