Impact of age

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1900
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 5232
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Impact of age

#17913

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 6 months ago

Johnson wrote:
6 months ago
Mostly career and education.

I really don't want to move back to the UK for a year, but I may have to progress in my career.
Why do you have to move back? I thought that you were an educator?
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

I had a hair transplant operation with the clinic of Dr. Emrah Cinik in Istanbul, with 2750 grafts being mostly placed in the front. It was a success both for general aesthetics and general well-being, and I encourage others to do the same.

User avatar
yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 589
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1651
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Impact of age

#17914

Post by yettee » 6 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
6 months ago
Why do you have to move back? I thought that you were an educator?
im guessing that its to get a higher degree... much better jobs available with higher qualifications in ed
mr. johnson, if so, is it something you could do over the net? at this point i dont think most potential employers care either way, and it could be a lot cheaper/dont have to relocate...

Johnson
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 292
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 582

Impact of age

#17916

Post by Johnson » 6 months ago

I want to specialize to further my career, but i'm uncertain whether to focus on sociolinguistics, speech therapy, or academic management. I'm also undecided whether to study Sept 2020 or Sept 2021. Right now I like my life but i'm moving into my mid 30's and I feel I should be a bit more ahead career wise.

User avatar
Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1222
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 3510
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride, RU58841, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Impact of age

#17917

Post by Rudiger » 6 months ago

Johnson wrote:
6 months ago
I want to specialize to further my career, but i'm uncertain whether to focus on sociolinguistics, speech therapy, or academic management. I'm also undecided whether to study Sept 2020 or Sept 2021. Right now I like my life but i'm moving into my mid 30's and I feel I should be a bit more ahead career wise.
Yeah most of us realise this 15 years earlier, and you're now wondering about not starting right now, but whether to start next year or the year after. Fuck.

Lost cause.
Look, fat...

Johnson
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 292
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 582

Impact of age

#17920

Post by Johnson » 6 months ago

I've already started - i'm looking to specialize in education. There are a ton of teachers who don't even have a specialty in their 40s and 50s. They just stay in the classroom for 30 years. There is no shame in just being a teacher and doing what I do.
I'm just at a point where I'm looking to move up.

I am sure you dont want to be doing the same job in 10 years either and you will, I imagine, wish to learn new skills and get a promotion.

User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1900
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 5232
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Impact of age

#17924

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 6 months ago

Johnson wrote:
6 months ago
I want to specialize to further my career, but i'm uncertain whether to focus on sociolinguistics, speech therapy, or academic management. I'm also undecided whether to study Sept 2020 or Sept 2021. Right now I like my life but i'm moving into my mid 30's and I feel I should be a bit more ahead career wise.
Johnson wrote:
6 months ago
I've already started - i'm looking to specialize in education. There are a ton of teachers who don't even have a specialty in their 40s and 50s. They just stay in the classroom for 30 years. There is no shame in just being a teacher and doing what I do.
I'm just at a point where I'm looking to move up.

I am sure you dont want to be doing the same job in 10 years either and you will, I imagine, wish to learn new skills and get a promotion.
On purely intellectual grounds I'd pick the first two, they both seem fascinating as subjects, though I imagine that the third night give you greater earning potential.

I briefly pre-dated a speech pathologist a while back. She told me that it was obvious when e.g. 4 year old kids were being sexually abused -- they would just start having sex with her, unprompted. That part sounds difficult to deal with. She then would need to report the cases, with the knowledge that the authorities would not need to do a great job handling it.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

I had a hair transplant operation with the clinic of Dr. Emrah Cinik in Istanbul, with 2750 grafts being mostly placed in the front. It was a success both for general aesthetics and general well-being, and I encourage others to do the same.

User avatar
yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 589
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1651
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Impact of age

#17926

Post by yettee » 6 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
6 months ago
On purely intellectual grounds I'd pick the first two, they both seem fascinating as subjects, though I imagine that the third night give you greater earning potential.
Sociolinguistics is an interesting one because it can lead to several different types of university lecturer or professor positions... linguistics or sociolingustics, TESOL, sociology, an English dept position... flexible!

User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1900
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 5232
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Impact of age

#17931

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 6 months ago

yettee wrote:
6 months ago
Sociolinguistics is an interesting one because it can lead to several different types of university lecturer or professor positions... linguistics or sociolingustics, TESOL, sociology, an English dept position... flexible!
@Johnson's ability to leverage such a degree to much greater status would depend on other factors such as his luck and his interpersonal skills. I don't have a good guess on the latter, and even less on those of the people who would compete with him.

But at simply a safe level, of using that degree for entry status into a high-demand, white-collar profession, he would do very well. I think that the income floor for those kinds of jobs around here would be 75K/year, and he'd have a good shot of eventually reaching 120+K/year, inflation adjusted, in his peak earning years. I assume that the salary levels in the UK would be comparable.

Due to being a working-class kid, I didn't know about these kinds of options when I was 18,19. If you pick the right university degree, and not necessarily computer science, law school, "management", or engineering, you can do very well. Teaching, nursing, speech pathology, psychotherapy, physiotherapy, audiology, etc are all high-probability paths to a secure upper-middle class life.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

I had a hair transplant operation with the clinic of Dr. Emrah Cinik in Istanbul, with 2750 grafts being mostly placed in the front. It was a success both for general aesthetics and general well-being, and I encourage others to do the same.

User avatar
yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 589
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1651
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Impact of age

#17944

Post by yettee » 6 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
6 months ago
@Johnson's ability to leverage such a degree to much greater status would depend on other factors such as his luck and his interpersonal skills. I don't have a good guess on the latter, and even less on those of the people who would compete with him.
I agree... really though I'm thinking about his working in a non-native English speaking country (outside of Europe), which as far as I know he is inclined to do. With a sociolinguistics degree and also some solid teaching experience (which I think he has?), I think some universities abroad would probably offer him good employment, sight unseen. It slots into several different departments and impresses everyone. So if working for a uni abroad were a motivation I'd go for that one.

User avatar
Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 881
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1618
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Impact of age

#17951

Post by Arjen » 6 months ago


Johnson
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 292
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 582

Impact of age

#17953

Post by Johnson » 6 months ago

yettee wrote:
6 months ago
I agree... really though I'm thinking about his working in a non-native English speaking country (outside of Europe), which as far as I know he is inclined to do. With a sociolinguistics degree and also some solid teaching experience (which I think he has?), I think some universities abroad would probably offer him good employment, sight unseen. It slots into several different departments and impresses everyone. So if working for a uni abroad were a motivation I'd go for that one.
In Asia the best options are Academic Management, International Schools, or IELTS.

Socialinguistics or even applied linguistics wouldnt be practicle unless you wanted to work at a university (which is low paid in most Asian countries).

Added in 36 seconds:
Perfect example why ageing can be a good thing.

User avatar
yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 589
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1651
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Impact of age

#17954

Post by yettee » 6 months ago

Johnson wrote:
6 months ago
In Asia the best options are Academic Management, International Schools, or IELTS.

Socialinguistics or even applied linguistics wouldnt be practicle unless you wanted to work at a university (which is low paid in most Asian countries).

In Asia, Japan can pay very well for uni work. They are in fact some of the most highly paid jobs in the country, look at the top 8 jobs.
http://nbakki.hatenablog.com/entry/Annu ... Occupation
Not sure but maybe Korea also decent (?). But some complaints about working conditions.

User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 591
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1887
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Impact of age

#17961

Post by EvilLocks » 6 months ago

Rudiger wrote:
6 months ago
Yeah most of us realise this 15 years earlier, and you're now wondering about not starting right now, but whether to start next year or the year after. Fuck.

Lost cause.
*Poster 1 says he's planning on taking steps to improve his career and life further*
*Poster 2 takes this positive development and turns it into a negative about why on earth he didn't do it sooner"

:roll:

Why not just be happy for someone who's trying to improve themselves, rather than being so negative? That's almost like dissing a fat person for going to the gym. It's NEVER too late to improve one's life or learn new stuff. When we're young we don't always know exactly what we want anyway, a revelation that can sometimes come later in life. Don't be such a downer!

User avatar
Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 881
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1618
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Impact of age

#17962

Post by Arjen » 6 months ago

Johnson wrote:
6 months ago
In Asia the best options are Academic Management, International Schools, or IELTS.

Socialinguistics or even applied linguistics wouldnt be practicle unless you wanted to work at a university (which is low paid in most Asian countries).
Not having studied anything with linguistics myself: what is „practicle“? How did your hair transplant go by the way? Is its success the reason why you are making plans you are going to follow up on for other parts of your life?

User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1341
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1807
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dustasteride 0.5 milligrams daily, Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Impact of age

#17963

Post by rclark » 6 months ago

yettee wrote:
6 months ago
I agree... really though I'm thinking about his working in a non-native English speaking country (outside of Europe), which as far as I know he is inclined to do. With a sociolinguistics degree and also some solid teaching experience (which I think he has?), I think some universities abroad would probably offer him good employment, sight unseen. It slots into several different departments and impresses everyone. So if working for a uni abroad were a motivation I'd go for that one.
One of my friends taught English in South Korea. She was able to own an apartment at the time. She isn't really bi-lingual (although she and her South Korean husband both talk more than the average person, so maybe she is).

I can't imagine working in a country where I couldn't speak the language. That would be very strange.

If I didn't have a wife in kids, I would probably try to work in India. It's a culture I even like better than the United States.

India is a place I feel culturally "connected" to, as all my coworkers except a few are from there. The thing is, they don't speak the language
freely around me, and I am trying to learn it using Pimsleur tapes.
Rudiger wrote:
6 months ago
I would say none but to be more accurate like, minus one?
Here's an English lesson for you, @Rudiger. The plural of epiphany is epiphanies.
Last edited by rclark 6 months ago, edited 4 times in total.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post