Impact of age

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Impact of age

Post by EvilLocks » 3 weeks ago

koolaidshade wrote:
3 weeks ago
Why use a lightweight serum instead of a moisturizer? Are you just concerned that heavy moisturizers clog your pores?

what exact serum are you using?

It's dry where i'm from so i have to use that cerave PM lotion with niacinamide, and also cause i like to dose my skin with niacinamide every night

Yes, I find that heavy moisturizers clog my pores and give me (mild) acne. I like to keep as little as possible on my skin, during the day it's just a serum + SPF. I also take off my SPF as soon as I'm home, to let my skin breath, and just use something like a facial mist for some light hydration.
At night I use 1) differin gel 2) vitamin C serum and 3) eye cream layered in that order. If I have a dry patch I use the Laneige water sleeping mask on the dry spot overnight and it mostly cures itself.
I use either Exuviance Vespera Bionic serum or Clinique Moisture Surge in the morning rn, but I have also tried The Ordinary's hyaluronic acid serum which is good and very cheap.
At night I use differin (like I said) which is an alternative to tretinoin (I could never get over the irritation), The Body Shop vitamin C serum and The Body Shop Eye serum.
CeraVe is pretty good, I've tried their moisturizing lotion and foaming face wash, liked both, but I like to rotate products :)
I exfoliate with The Body Shop vitamin C liquid peel, which is the best peel ever in my opinion, instant results and really brighten my skin. I will probably never stop buying it unless it's discontinued.
At Peace with the Piece 8-)

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 3 weeks ago

@pjhair ,

Applying market principles to understanding the fashion industry is a strategy of limited potential, as the fashion industry is largely in a state of market failure. There are several good examples of this. Among these, the De Beers diamond monopoly/cartel succeeds in charging excessive prices for rocks that are fundamentally useless, and perfume is one of the most marked-up products in the world. Synthetic diamonds, whuch are produced in laboratories, cost less than de Beers diamonds. Jewelers can tell them apart due to the fact that they are of higher quality.

Note that within classical economics (Adam Smith, David Ricardo, Karl Marx, etc) there should arguably not be a most marked-up product. They assume, axiomatically, that the "rate of profit" should rapidly converge to being equivalent in different industries. In practice, this isn't so due to features such as barriers to entry, discrimination, etc.

Another issue with fashion is that many people do it a hobby. There's a large number of people who are willing to lose money on fashion or make less money than they otherwise would, which is different from say plumbing or building microchips, and thus market principles are further distorted.

Further, information does not flow perfectly in the world. A lot of fashion is designed by gay men, who have their own sense of aesthetic. However, the consumers of fashion are women aged 20, 30, 40, 50, etc. They are largely not represented among fashion designers, and they don't work on fashion firms. So the two crowds simply do not understand each other. It took several decades for fashion companies to start adding pockets to dresses, which is something that women had demanded for a long time.

It should thus not be surprising if there is an exceptionally large discrepancy between what consumers want and what the market provides for this industry.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

That Guy wrote:
3 weeks ago

As for the whole "women over 40 not appearing on vogue", well plenty of older women regularly grace the covers of magazines with their niche. Christina Scabbia still poses provocatively on Rock music magazine regularly, Kate Beckinsale still shows up, Liz Hurley, and even Christy Brinkely who is nearly 70 still does sports illustrated shoots.

So what you want is in fact out there.

But with your example of Vogue:

Vogue is almost entirely read by younger women. While many young men have "milf" fetishes, most women are trying their damndest to look eternally young.
Sure, there's a handful of retired supermodels from the 80s or 90s who still do a cover here and there, but I should have specified that I'm talking about new faces. There are rarely, if ever, any new faces in the modeling industry over the age of 25, at least 35+
The older models you refer to would have never gotten to work if it weren't for their previous royalty status in the modeling industry.

Of course women are trying to look as youthful as possible, I'll be the first to admit that the thought of losing my youthful looks absolutely sucks. It sucks not being 18 anymore, although I'm technically still young! I feel like maybe some of the comments on these forums got to my head, and I actually started believing I was old and unwanted at the age of 23 lol. It doesn't help that our society as a whole is so youth-obsessed when it comes to females either.
But I feel like my mindset has improved a lot over the last few years, although I do not think birthdays are fun anymore I'm thinking that the alternative is much worse. Also, I'm not old, although some guys here like to tease me for it ;) It's OK if they prefer 16 year olds, I have my preferences when it comes to guys too!
But yeah, I'll admit it, being someone who's surfed on their looks a bit the thought of losing that power sucks. And no, I don't think anybody should feel sorry for me or women like me but I think you'd understand the feeling if you were a girl haha.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 3 weeks ago

In the United States people are very obsessed with looks. Every toothpaste has whitening chemicals in it.

Pat
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: Dutasteride, minoxidil, ketokonazole, dermarolling.

Post by Pat » 3 weeks ago

EvilLocks wrote:
3 weeks ago
Not as insecure as you're about your hair line sweetie ;*
Nice comeback, sweaty ;*
EvilLocks wrote:
3 weeks ago
No but really, I'm insecure about neither of those. I used to be very insecure about age, but I've grown past it! Not saying it's amazing to get older, but isn't the alternative worse?
Your posts point to the contrary, especially this one.
EvilLocks wrote:
3 weeks ago
Besides, I look pretty, I hear it all the time, so what if I'm not a 15yr old that gets you hard lol. I'm not on earth to please you anyway ... :)
Why are you talking about pleasing me and have I ever said that I prefer 15 year olds? If we're talking about men in general you're already too old to please them.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Pat wrote:
3 weeks ago
Nice comeback, sweaty ;*

Your posts point to the contrary, especially this one.

Why are you talking about pleasing me and have I ever said that I prefer 15 year olds? If we're talking about men in general you're already too old to please them.
Mkay, my hubby and plenty of others disagree but you have your opinion, it's not like you're pleasing anybody right?? ;p

I bet all of you would kick her out of bed Insta: https://www.instagram.com/ari_maj/, she's SO over the hill ;)

Anyway, I don't care if I don't please all men! That's not my purpose in life.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

EvilLocks wrote:
3 weeks ago
I bet all of you would kick her out of bed Insta: https://www.instagram.com/ari_maj/, she's SO over the hill ;)
Screenshot_20190831-130054.png
Screenshot_20190831-130054.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 613 times
She isn't prime pussy, so having sex with her would be a cope.

;-)

Pat
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

EvilLocks wrote:
3 weeks ago
Mkay, my hubby and plenty of others disagree but you have your opinion, it's not like you're pleasing anybody right?? ;p

I bet all of you would kick her out of bed Insta: https://www.instagram.com/ari_maj, she's SO over the hill ;)

Anyway, I don't care if I don't please all men! That's not my purpose in life.
Men preferring young women isn't my opinion. It's based on studies. Do you and your hubby disagree with the studies proving that men of all ages prefer women averaging 21 years old?

When you keep trying to make this about me and villify me with baseless claims it just makes you seem more insecure.

And finally I don't give a shit how old that blown out Instagram thot is.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Pat wrote:
3 weeks ago
Men preferring young women isn't my opinion. It's based on studies. Do you and your hubby disagree with the studies proving that men of all ages prefer women averaging 21 years old?

When you keep trying to make this about me and villify me with baseless claims it just makes you seem more insecure.

And finally I don't give a shit how old that blown out Instagram thot is.
Sure, I've seen that chart before, do you think I care? I'm married for christ's sake, I'm just starting a family, why should I care what the exact female age preference of men is? Is this something new, or something revolutionary you just came up with?
Don't smart me, you knew very well what you were doing when you first posted the thing about me being age insecure, or posting that chart. You try to hit me where you THINK it hurts, so I try the same thing, naturally?
I'm not insecure, at least in the way you think I am. I have explained this before, but I'll say it again, I'm not that insecure about my age at the present moment. In the future, who knows? Right now? I'm happy with where I am!
And getting back to that chart, that chart shows the age where a woman is the most attractive to a man, which is always early 20s according to the sample. Which is hardly a surprise lol, I've known since I was in my early teens that men find young women the most attractive. It's not like you hit me with some cold hard facts that I didn't already know?
Also, just because a man said age 30s, 40s, etc. finds a woman 20-24 the most attractive, doesn't mean that a woman a few years older than that cannot please him. Maybe for some guys that only date a certain age deliberately, but I believe for most average guys a few years + - won't mean anything as long as the girl/woman is attractive, and they get along. It's not like a 35 year old guy will turn down a beautiful 29 year old because she's a few years over that threshold lol.
You should try and focus on bettering yourself instead of trying to insult me.

Added in 8 minutes 46 seconds:
Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago
Screenshot_20190831-130054.png

;-)
Yeah, I know :roll: :roll:

Pat
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

EvilLocks wrote:
3 weeks ago
Sure, I've seen that chart before, do you think I care? I'm married for christ's sake, I'm just starting a family, why should I care what the exact female age preference of men is? Is this something new, or something revolutionary you just came up with?
Don't smart me, you knew very well what you were doing when you first posted the thing about me being age insecure, or posting that chart. You try to hit me where you THINK it hurts, so I try the same thing, naturally?
I'm not insecure, at least in the way you think I am. I have explained this before, but I'll say it again, I'm not that insecure about my age at the present moment. In the future, who knows? Right now? I'm happy with where I am!
And getting back to that chart, that chart shows the age where a woman is the most attractive to a man, which is always early 20s according to the sample. Which is hardly a surprise lol, I've known since I was in my early teens that men find young women the most attractive. It's not like you hit me with some cold hard facts that I didn't already know?
Also, just because a man said age 30s, 40s, etc. finds a woman 20-24 the most attractive, doesn't mean that a woman a few years older than that cannot please him. Maybe for some guys that only date a certain age deliberately, but I believe for most average guys a few years + - won't mean anything as long as the girl/woman is attractive, and they get along. It's not like a 35 year old guy will turn down a beautiful 29 year old because she's a few years over that threshold lol.
You should try and focus on bettering yourself instead of trying to insult me.
What are you talking about? I didn't insult you. The reason I made the first post was that all I got from your prior incoherent posts was that you were insecure about both your intelligence and your age. You needing to emphasize your Chad, how beautiful everyone apparently thinks you are, your false accusations to villify me (which you conveniently ignore when called out for), and now you accuse me of insulting you. That just makes you seem even more insecure.

You don't have to portray yourself like you're flawless. It's okay to be insecure about certain aspects of yourself, and talking about those insecurities is what this forum is intended for.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Pat wrote:
3 weeks ago
What are you talking about? I didn't insult you. The reason I made the first post was that all I got from your prior incoherent posts was that you were insecure about both your intelligence and your age. You needing to emphasize your Chad, how beautiful everyone apparently thinks you are, your false accusations to villify me (which you conveniently ignore when called out for), and now you accuse me of insulting you. That just makes you seem even more insecure.

You don't have to portray yourself like you're flawless. It's okay to be insecure about certain aspects of yourself, and talking about those insecurities is what this forum is intended for.
I didn't ignore your accusation of me trying to vilify you, I explained it with you first trying to hit me where you think it hurts, and then me doing the same in response. No matter how you meant it, that's how it came across.
Anyway, who said I think I'm flawless? I'm Norwood 5 for f-cks sake, and I have other flaws as well, both in personality and looks. Nobody is "perfect".
I have made no effort to hide my insecurities around age for the past few years, but people can change you know. I am more secure in myself now that I am happily married than when I was single and felt the clock ticking.
Of course I can't say that I'm never insecure about age, I didn't say that either. But I am much more stable than I previously was, so it's not like I go cry in a corner or something when you post a chart like that to make me believe I'm not desired, without even seeing me.
It's like this, all 21 year olds are not created equal and all 26 (or older) are not created equal. There are hideous looking 21 year olds, versus attractive 30 year olds, and visa versa. Sure, there's more attractive 21 year olds than there are attractive 30 year olds, but you talk like it's so black and white here. There are variations within each age of attractiveness, you know. And I never claimed to be the most beautiful girl in the world, lol, I just said that I'm not insecure of my current looks (minus hair loss). Say what you will, this discussion is over, I have plans for the night. Have a good night everyone.

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by pjhair » 3 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago
It should thus not be surprising if there is an exceptionally large discrepancy between what consumers want and what the market provides for this industry.
Perhaps there is. But does the discrepancy exist for all segments of the population or just for "old women"? If it exists for all segments then whats the point in only complaining about the suffering of old women? @EvilLocks admitted that she is especially aggrieved by lack of representation of old women as she herself is a women. I will quote her:

"And of course, there are other groups in society being discriminated against than aging women, but I guess it's a normal thing to feel strongly about a case that is relevant to yourself. "

Anyway, @EvilLocks , if it's normal to feel strongly about a case that is relevant to yourself then it's entirely normal to not feel strongly about things that are not relevant to you. So one shouldn't really be surprised at apathy of others to his/her cause. I personally don't agree to this worldview. At emotional level, I can see how we can get more impacted by "discrimination" of our own group than others. But RATIONALLY, we should be able to recognize that if there are other groups that are facing the same level of discrimination as our own, then demanding special attention to our own plight is not justifiable.

Nevertheless, my suggestion to investors in the fashion industry will be to get the relevant data and run a machine learning algorithm to get deeper insights into what people really want and are likely to consume.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

pjhair wrote:
3 weeks ago
Perhaps there is. But does the discrepancy exist for all segments of the population or just for "old women"? If it exists for all segments then whats the point in only complaining about the suffering of old women? @EvilLocks admitted that she is especially aggrieved by lack of representation of old women as she herself is a women. I will quote her:

"And of course, there are other groups in society being discriminated against than aging women, but I guess it's a normal thing to feel strongly about a case that is relevant to yourself. "

Anyway, @EvilLocks , if it's normal to feel strongly about a case that is relevant to yourself then it's entirely normal to not feel strongly about things that are not relevant to you. So one shouldn't really be surprised at apathy of others to his/her cause. I personally don't agree to this worldview. At emotional level, I can see how we can get more impacted by "discrimination" of our own group than others. But RATIONALLY, we should be able to recognize that if there are other groups that are facing the same level of discrimination as our own, then demanding special attention to our own plight is not justifiable.

Nevertheless, my suggestion to investors in the fashion industry will be to get the relevant data and run a machine learning algorithm to get deeper insights into what people really want and are likely to consume.
I don't know the answer to the first question -- come on that's a difficult one !

But I very much doubt that machine learning is suitable to design clothes. ML works best when the goal is to sample and re-sample an already-understood parameter space. It's not great for designing something new, or escaping any correlations that are inherent to your space. For exactly, no ML algorithm would ever introduce pockets to women's dresses. You'd need a designer to introduce it first, and then it would have to be sufficiently well marketed and well sampled for the algorithm to take notice and propagate the change.

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by pjhair » 3 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago
I don't know the answer to the first question -- come on that's a difficult one !
But it's imperative to answer the first question if we are to conclude that old women merit special attention in that context.
Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago
But I very much doubt that machine learning is suitable to design clothes. ML works best when the goal is to sample and re-sample an already-understood parameter space. It's not great for designing something new, or escaping any correlations that are inherent to your space. For exactly, no ML algorithm would ever introduce pockets to women's dresses. You'd need a designer to introduce it first, and then it would have to be sufficiently well marketed and well sampled for the algorithm to take notice and propagate the change.
I wasn't merely referring to designing something new though. Evillocks complained about old women not fairly represented on tv, magazines, catwalks, etc despite their being demand for it. ML can easily project how popular these products will be if they include old women, fat people, etc.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2.5

Post by That Guy » 3 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago

;-)