Impact of age

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 407
Joined: 9 months ago
Reputation: 1173
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Impact of age

Post by EvilLocks » 3 weeks ago

pjhair wrote:
3 weeks ago
I didn't claim that women in genetically age fatster. I specifically said "looks wise they age taster". Here is my exact quote.

"In my experience, looks wise, women age faster than men. But as my sample size is too small, I might be wrong."


There is a reason I said "looks wise women age faster" instead of simply saying "women age faster". Looks wise simply means that they "appear" older than men of comparable age due to changes to the skin. However, rest of their body including the internal organs stay the same age as a man. In fact, given that in developed countries, women tend to live longer than men on average, I am inclined to believe women age better than men. Just not in looks.
Ok thanks for clearing that up. Anyway I agree with that, like I said men wear their age much better than women do. Unlike Rudiger who seems to think I'm an idiot, I get that whole thing. That was what I was trying to explain in the first place.
I'm not insulted on behalf of women lol, I just feel like there should be more diversity in the media, no I don't think 60yr old women posing sexually in lingerie should be the norm, but what about artistic, beautiful images and motion pictures that just showcase the beauty of each age, not necessarily in a sexual way?
Last edited by EvilLocks 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
At Peace with the Piece 8-)

User avatar
Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1021
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2664
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Re: Impact of age

Post by Rudiger » 3 weeks ago

EvilLocks wrote:
3 weeks ago
That was exactly my point, who's looking like an idiot now @Rudiger ? :clap: Trying to explain me something I explained first, good one :)
Who said you looked like an idiot? Are you saying I now look like an idiot? Is this your way of attempting to make a point? Neg rep someone who disagrees and say they look like an idiot (if you're saying that my point is agreeing with yours then why the fuck would you neg rep it?)

Besides, you need to elaborate on where you made that point, from what I'm seeing you were saying the exact opposite of my point. Reading back on it I actually don't know what point you're trying to make, because you were saying that women only "seem" to age worse because we are programmed to look for their signs of ageing because of muh media, but at the same time you're also pointing out that pregnancy does in fact make women age worse, so what exactly are you trying to say here?

He said that men appear to age better, you said "DEFINITELY NOT TRUE", I then said that I thought it's common knowledge that men age better, and now you're saying you already made that point?
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 407
Joined: 9 months ago
Reputation: 1173
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Impact of age

Post by EvilLocks » 3 weeks ago

Rudiger wrote:
3 weeks ago
Who said you looked like an idiot? Are you saying I now look like an idiot? Is this your way of attempting to make a point? Neg rep someone who disagrees and say they look like an idiot (if you're saying that my point is agreeing with yours then why the fuck would you neg rep it?)

Besides, you need to elaborate on where you made that point, from what I'm seeing you were saying the exact opposite of my point. Reading back on it I actually don't know what point you're trying to make, because you were saying that women only "seem" to age worse because we are programmed to look for their signs of ageing because of muh media, but at the same time you're also pointing out that pregnancy does in fact make women age worse, so what exactly are you trying to say here?

He said that men appear to age better, you said "DEFINITELY NOT TRUE", I then said that I thought it's common knowledge that men age better, and now you're saying you already made that point?
For starters the quote "(because when interacting with you this apparently needs to be clarified)" is a pretty clear indication that you think of me as someone of low intellect.

"I don't doubt that you have noticed how women "seem" to age faster, but I believe this is due to the fact that most people subconsciously look for signs of aging in women before they do on men. We are programmed to believe that women "should" be tight and smooth, so even when mild signs of aging appears on a woman they will seem more obvious than if they were on a man."

This is what I said first, if you actually read my post. Here I basically said the same thing as you, that women seem to age faster because they cannot get away with signs of aging as well as men.
At Peace with the Piece 8-)

User avatar
Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1021
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2664
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Re: Impact of age

Post by Rudiger » 3 weeks ago

EvilLocks wrote:
3 weeks ago
Here I basically said the same thing as you, that women seem to age faster because they cannot get away with signs of aging as well as men.
Where did I say this at all? This is the part of the post of mine you quoted, which you think I'm saying men get away with ageing better:
Rudiger wrote:
3 weeks ago
Anyway, *personal anecdotal opinion coming up* (because when interacting with you this apparently needs to be clarified) I thought it was common knowledge men age better, of course it's case by case but generally men's aging can actually compliment their looks. It's very common a chubby faced 20 year old kid can look a lot better in mid or late 20s. Or look at wrinkles for example, they actually suit a decent proportion of men who are older, do wrinkles ever suit a woman? I mean, ever? What about grey hair and the "silver fox", has a woman ever looked better with greying hair?
I never said the "silver fox" portrayal isn't true, I'm saying it is true, it's not a falsehood created by the media, lots of men actually look good with grey hair, or with wrinkles, this is not the point you were making.

As for taking offence at me clarifying that it's a personal anecdotal opinion, after reading your exchange with pjhair, it appears you literally do need this to be clarified, let me just point out again how ridiculous that was, he even started his paragraph with "Anecdotally speaking" and you quoted:

"In my experience, looks wise, women age faster than men. But as my sample size is too small, I might be wrong."

Along with saying "anecdotally speaking" there could not have been a safer way of putting this across as an opinion, and your reply:

"Definitely NOT TRUE, if that were true then it would mean women are genetically programmed to age faster than men, which there's no scientific proof of. "

That is absolutely insane, so if you don't want to be treated as someone with low intellect, then don't write such stupid shit. From reading the above, do you now understand why I have to clarify to you that I'm simply making my opinion? It's so you don't say it's absolutely not true (as an opinion) and start talking about fucking science when it comes to aesthetics, as if you're actually negating anything.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1578
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 3859
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Impact of age

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 3 weeks ago

Rudiger wrote:
3 weeks ago
Where did I say this at all? This is the part of the post of mine you quoted, which you think I'm saying men get away with ageing better:



I never said the "silver fox" portrayal isn't true, I'm saying it is true, it's not a falsehood created by the media, lots of men actually look good with grey hair, or with wrinkles, this is not the point you were making.

As for taking offence at me clarifying that it's a personal anecdotal opinion, after reading your exchange with pjhair, it appears you literally do need this to be clarified, let me just point out again how ridiculous that was, he even started his paragraph with "Anecdotally speaking" and you quoted:

"In my experience, looks wise, women age faster than men. But as my sample size is too small, I might be wrong."

Along with saying "anecdotally speaking" there could not have been a safer way of putting this across as an opinion, and your reply:

"Definitely NOT TRUE, if that were true then it would mean women are genetically programmed to age faster than men, which there's no scientific proof of. "

That is absolutely insane, so if you don't want to be treated as someone with low intellect, then don't write such stupid shit. From reading the above, do you now understand why I have to clarify to you that I'm simply making my opinion? It's so you don't say it's absolutely not true (as an opinion) and start talking about fucking science when it comes to aesthetics, as if you're actually negating anything.
1) @EvilLocks is not dumb. Only one of the active posters here is average or below average, and it's not her.

2) You sometimes overreact, and this is a good example. You're exploding at her over a difference of opinion / interpretation. Chill out.

Edited to add: I've seen grey hair look hot on women. It was weird the first time that I noticed it but now I'm used to it.

Keep in mind that a huge, huge fraction of women aged 25+ dye their hair.

User avatar
Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1021
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2664
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Re: Impact of age

Post by Rudiger » 3 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago
1) @EvilLocks is not dumb. Only one of the active posters here is average or below average, and it's not her.

2) You sometimes overreact, and this is a good example. You're exploding at her over a difference of opinion / interpretation. Chill out.

Edited to add: I've seen grey hair look hot on women. It was weird the first time that I noticed it but now I'm used to it.

Keep in mind that a huge, huge fraction of women aged 25+ dye their hair.
1) Where did I call her dumb? Or an idiot? If you read the post you just quoted, you'll see how I outlined that in the context of this discussion, I have to literally point out where I am just giving an opinion. If you read what she quoted from pjhair, he could not have been clearer that he's giving a subjective opinion, it's anecdotal, he has limited experience, he may be wrong, etc. And she says "definitely NOT TRUE". So how else are you supposed to get through to someone who can't understand a subjective opinion? I had to spell out that it was my opinion, and go one step further than pjhair and outline that I have to spell this out to her, as when it comes to this, she simply doesn't understand. Or didn't understand shortly beforehand.

I didn't call her an idiot or dumb in all ways, but she had literally just displayed that in this context, she needs things to be spelled out to her. I imagine now that because of me spelling out this error in judgement she is less likely to do it again, but only if she takes on board what I've written instead of pjhair being nice, or you defending her. I think because of what you've written in this post there's a decent chance she'll cling to it and think "exactly, people shouldn't call me dumb" and completely take no accountability for her own fault in responding to pjhair. Note that this is an assumption, and based on her own response to me earlier which was just to get sarcastic, saying that actually I look like the idiot now, and claim we agree on the same thing, when I've pointed out that we actually don't at all.

So who looks like an idiot at this point? I never called anyone an idiot, so maybe Evil can keep track of that one.

2) I wouldn't call this an explosion just because I swore a few times, maybe you're overreacting to my reaction? It's not about a difference of opinion it's about shutting down someone's opinion, which is what she attempted to do. I can only guess that if you think this is an argument about ageing or which gender looks better/worse, then you've missed the point entirely, and in that case I'm realising how little I should have cared to reply, because you've briefly browsed these posts, got an incredibly vague understanding, and decided it's time to white knight for Evil.

But most importantly, please tell me where I called her dumb, because it was absolutely justified in this context that I had to spell out what a subjective opinion is, considering how she reacted to pjhair just previously. Sometimes there's no other way but to belittle others, and sometimes they deserve it, but I never called her an idiot or dumb.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

User avatar
koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 255
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 358
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Re: Impact of age

Post by koolaidshade » 3 weeks ago

Metabolism slows down, nose and ear cartilage keep growing with age, skin loses elasticity....

can someone else compile a list of oldceldom? as well as their solution? and maybe sticky it for this forum?

User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 407
Joined: 9 months ago
Reputation: 1173
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Impact of age

Post by EvilLocks » 3 weeks ago

Rudiger wrote:
3 weeks ago
Where did I say this at all? This is the part of the post of mine you quoted, which you think I'm saying men get away with ageing better:



I never said the "silver fox" portrayal isn't true, I'm saying it is true, it's not a falsehood created by the media, lots of men actually look good with grey hair, or with wrinkles, this is not the point you were making.

As for taking offence at me clarifying that it's a personal anecdotal opinion, after reading your exchange with pjhair, it appears you literally do need this to be clarified, let me just point out again how ridiculous that was, he even started his paragraph with "Anecdotally speaking" and you quoted:

"In my experience, looks wise, women age faster than men. But as my sample size is too small, I might be wrong."

Along with saying "anecdotally speaking" there could not have been a safer way of putting this across as an opinion, and your reply:

"Definitely NOT TRUE, if that were true then it would mean women are genetically programmed to age faster than men, which there's no scientific proof of. "

That is absolutely insane, so if you don't want to be treated as someone with low intellect, then don't write such stupid shit. From reading the above, do you now understand why I have to clarify to you that I'm simply making my opinion? It's so you don't say it's absolutely not true (as an opinion) and start talking about fucking science when it comes to aesthetics, as if you're actually negating anything.

Evil: "I don't doubt that you have noticed how women "seem" to age faster, but I believe this is due to the fact that most people subconsciously look for signs of aging in women before they do on men. We are programmed to believe that women "should" be tight and smooth, so even when mild signs of aging appears on a woman they will seem more obvious than if they were on a man."

Rudiger: Anyway, *personal anecdotal opinion coming up* (because when interacting with you this apparently needs to be clarified) I thought it was common knowledge men age better, of course it's case by case but generally men's aging can actually compliment their looks. It's very common a chubby faced 20 year old kid can look a lot better in mid or late 20s. Or look at wrinkles for example, they actually suit a decent proportion of men who are older, do wrinkles ever suit a woman? I mean, ever? What about grey hair and the "silver fox", has a woman ever looked better with greying hair?


Am I really crazy here for thinking these are basically saying the same thing? @Admin @Afro_Vacancy what do you think, am I the crazy one here? of course it's not word by word the same thing, but both translate to roughly the same message in my opinion? When @Rudiger says that wrinkles or grey hair don't suit a woman ever, but plenty of guys look good with those same signs of aging, isn't that the same as when I was saying that men wear their age better than women? I feel like @Rudiger is clinging to a straw here and doesn't wanna admit he was wrong, that's why he goes on this unwarranted rant against me in the hopes of "proving" I am an idiot, which he doesn't even wanna admit that he thinks I am, even though it's obvious to both me and @Afro_Vacancy that this is what he thinks. And of course he has to pull the age old "white knight" card against afro, because obviously whenever someone agrees with me it must be because they're a white knight and not because they actually share my opinion lol :roll:

Evil: Definitely NOT TRUE, if that were true then it would mean women are genetically programmed to age faster than men, which there's no scientific proof of.

I agree this is insane, but I thought it was kinda obvious that I don't actually believe this? To go back to the beginning, I read @pjhair post too fast and gave a quick response, in retrospect I do see how he did specify that he doesn't think men age better than women genetically, but only looks-wise. You could have simply given a quick response clearing up the misunderstanding, but instead you went on a full-blown rant against me questioning my intellect, based on a simple misunderstanding. No matter how much you wanna claim that you never called me an idiot, you did, indirectly, all while desperately trying to prove your point, which indeed was roughly the same as mine, although you don't wanna admit it ;)
At Peace with the Piece 8-)

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1766
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 3870
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Head & Shoulders caffeine shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling
Location: Belgium
Age: 29
Contact:

Re: Impact of age

Post by Admin » 3 weeks ago

@EvilLocks

Here's my quick analysis on the chat:
20190829_140311.jpg
20190829_140311.jpg (386.68 KiB) Viewed 634 times
;)

I thought you were all making good points, and about the idiot comment, he didn't say it but you felt like he did. Well most of us know @Rudiger and his sometimes in-your-face writing style. I understand it makes you feel that way.

Voila, there's no need to start a flamewar over this, unless some of you want to fight pepe-scheming .

User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1578
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 3859
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Impact of age

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 3 weeks ago

Rudiger wrote:
3 weeks ago
makes you sound ridiculous ...

Anyway, *personal anecdotal opinion coming up* (because when interacting with you this apparently needs to be clarified) ...

it doesn't negate the reality, and you seem to be conflating the two.
Rudiger wrote:
3 weeks ago
As for taking offence at me clarifying that it's a personal anecdotal opinion, after reading your exchange with pjhair, it appears you literally do need this to be clarified, let me just point out again how ridiculous that was, he even started his paragraph with "Anecdotally speaking" and you quoted:

...

That is absolutely insane, so if you don't want to be treated as someone with low intellect, then don't write such stupid shit. From reading the above, do you now understand why I have to clarify to you that I'm simply making my opinion?
Is followed by:
Rudiger wrote:
3 weeks ago
1) Where did I call her dumb? Or an idiot? If you read the post you just quoted, you'll see how I outlined that in the context of this discussion, I have to literally point out where I am just giving an opinion.
A good way of interpreting the first two posts is that it's the sort of language that people would only ever use on the internet. Nobody would speak that way to another person in real life, and if they did they might be fired.

By the way, your posts are also negating the reality that beauty standards have a significant socially constructed component, which is well established and in any case, obvious. Beauty had both universal and socially constructed components.

And finally, none of this warranted anger.

User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 407
Joined: 9 months ago
Reputation: 1173
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Impact of age

Post by EvilLocks » 3 weeks ago

Admin wrote:
3 weeks ago
@EvilLocks

Here's my quick analysis on the chat:

20190829_140311.jpg

;)

I thought you were all making good points, and about the idiot comment, he didn't say it but you felt like he did. Well most of us know @Rudiger and his sometimes in-your-face writing style. I understand it makes you feel that way.

Voila, there's no need to start a flamewar over this, unless some of you want to fight pepe-scheming .
I never said he used the word "idiot" about me. But he didn't have to, because it's clear as day to me that he was talking to me as someone who obviously needed things explained in detail before I could understand it, you know? He could have simply done what @pjhair did and calmly explained the situation, instead of going out of his way to make me look like, yes, an idiot.

Anyway, I find it amusing that you are discussing the situation on your chat, I can only imagine what you are talking about lmao, probably something about me having a typical "girl moment", or something along those lines :roll: ;)

I definitely won't bother with a flame war here, but I feel the need to defend myself when someone comes at me for no reason.
At Peace with the Piece 8-)

User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1578
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 3859
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Impact of age

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 3 weeks ago

This morning, I found myself wondering if many women may be aging less well due to having caked their faces in endless gallons of make up. A lot of makeup products yield to slight improvement in the short term, but it may be that those layers and layers of chemicals contribute to lasting damage.

User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 407
Joined: 9 months ago
Reputation: 1173
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Impact of age

Post by EvilLocks » 3 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago
This morning, I found myself wondering if many women may be aging less well due to having caked their faces in endless gallons of make up. A lot of makeup products yield to slight improvement in the short term, but it may be that those layers and layers of chemicals contribute to lasting damage.
Could be something there. Maybe women overuse beauty products all their lifetime, which ends up giving them acne and mild aging from it? But I think what ages you the most, by far, is the sun. A lot of girls are obsessed with being tan and will use any excuse to go out in the sun or tanning beds. Guys like being tan too I guess but I don't think it's the norm for guys to tan several times a week to keep up their tan, but I could be wrong.
My "routine" works for me - no tanning, keeping skin clean of makeup and only using makeup on top of a zit when I have one, not using heavy moisturizers but a lightweight serum instead, exfoliating regularly, differin gel, lots of water and eating healthy, getting enough sleep, no drugs or smoke, little alcohol etc. I'm going to be 27 in a few months and people still think I'm in my early 20s or sometimes late teens :)
At Peace with the Piece 8-)

User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1578
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 3859
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Impact of age

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 3 weeks ago

EvilLocks wrote:
3 weeks ago
Could be something there. Maybe women overuse beauty products all their lifetime, which ends up giving them acne and mild aging from it? But I think what ages you the most, by far, is the sun. A lot of girls are obsessed with being tan and will use any excuse to go out in the sun or tanning beds. Guys like being tan too I guess but I don't think it's the norm for guys to tan several times a week to keep up their tan, but I could be wrong.
My "routine" works for me - no tanning, keeping skin clean of makeup and only using makeup on top of a zit when I have one, not using heavy moisturizers but a lightweight serum instead, exfoliating regularly, differin gel, lots of water and eating healthy, getting enough sleep, no drugs or smoke, little alcohol etc. I'm going to be 27 in a few months and people still think I'm in my early 20s or sometimes late teens :)
Also, there isn't a lot of sunshine over Norway :-)

Do you take vitamin D3 supplements?

User avatar
blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1396
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1961

Re: Impact of age

Post by blackg » 3 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago
1) @EvilLocks is not dumb. Only one of the active posters here is average or below average, and it's not her.
Thanks.
Don't kneel because you feel

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests