Impact of age

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Pat
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dutasteride, minoxidil, ketokonazole, dermarolling.

Re: Impact of age

Post by Pat » 2 weeks ago

EvilLocks wrote:
3 weeks ago
I didn't ignore your accusation of me trying to vilify you, I explained it with you first trying to hit me where you think it hurts, and then me doing the same in response. No matter how you meant it, that's how it came across.
Ok, so if I come across a certain way unintentionally it's okay to make multiple lies up about me in attempt to make me the villain.
EvilLocks wrote:
3 weeks ago
Anyway, who said I think I'm flawless? I'm Norwood 5 for f-cks sake, and I have other flaws as well, both in personality and looks. Nobody is "perfect".
I have made no effort to hide my insecurities around age for the past few years, but people can change you know. I am more secure in myself now that I am happily married than when I was single and felt the clock ticking.
No one said you think you're flawless. You try to give an impression that you're unaffected by growing old personally and partake in mental gymnastics to convey that. More emphazing your marriage. I get it.
EvilLocks wrote:
3 weeks ago
Of course I can't say that I'm never insecure about age, I didn't say that either. But I am much more stable than I previously was, so it's not like I go cry in a corner or something when you post a chart like that to make me believe I'm not desired, without even seeing me.
I didn't post the chart to make you cry in a corner. You keep doing these weak attempts of strawmen. The reason I posted the chart is because you were talking about old women in fashion etc. and how this picture isn't sexual.

Yeah, because women always wear bikinis, high heels and squeeze a wet sponge infront of their genitals when they're washing their car. Nothing sexual to see here.
EvilLocks wrote:
3 weeks ago
It's like this, all 21 year olds are not created equal and all 26 (or older) are not created equal. There are hideous looking 21 year olds, versus attractive 30 year olds, and visa versa. Sure, there's more attractive 21 year olds than there are attractive 30 year olds, but you talk like it's so black and white here. There are variations within each age of attractiveness, you know. And I never claimed to be the most beautiful girl in the world, lol, I just said that I'm not insecure of my current looks (minus hair loss).
You're making more strawmen. All I said is that you seem insecure when you have to emphazise what your friends think of your looks when talking about your old age.
EvilLocks wrote:
3 weeks ago
Say what you will, this discussion is over, I have plans for the night. Have a good night everyone.
You don't get to decide when I stop responding.

Onto the plans for the night point. Are you saying that to hurt me as you would say because I don't have plans? It seems to me as you're projecting this line of thought to me. People don't usually say why or if they're leaving the forum for a bit. They just go and reply when they get the chance.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 2 weeks ago

Pat wrote:
2 weeks ago
and how this picture isn't sexual.
I'm not going to bother with the rest, but that picture wasn't the picture I had in mind. It also looks like that picture is somewhat of a throwback

Added in 6 minutes 31 seconds:
@Pat If you have the right to respond (which you do, I never meant otherwise) I also have the right to withdraw from the discussion because to me it's not fruitful.
At Peace with the Piece 8-)

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 2 weeks ago

Pat wrote:
2 weeks ago

You don't get to decide when I stop responding.
Yes she does.

Added in 4 minutes 38 seconds:
Pat wrote:
2 weeks ago
Onto the plans for the night point. Are you saying that to hurt me as you would say because I don't have plans?
Now you're just being paranoid.
Don't kneel because you feel

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 weeks ago

pjhair wrote:
3 weeks ago
ML can easily project how popular these products will be if they include old women, fat people, etc.
You almost certainly know more about ML than I do, so I'm willing to defer to your judgment and I hope that you'll explain how this can be so. I just don't see how that's necessarily the case. My impression of ML is that it works extremely well when you are jumping within a well-characterized parameter space, but it's catastrophically bad when extrapolating. It also assumes every correlation that exists within your sample, and doesn't necessarily understand them.

To use the example of pockets in women's dresses again, an ML algorithm would never be able to invent that. That takes a lot of humans to mention it, and then eventually another human to seek to implement it, and then to convince others that it be implemented, and that it be well-marketed on a first release. After that, the person running the algorithm needs to add the (binary?) dimension "pocket" to the parameter space, otherwise the benefits or costs will be associated to the other properties of the first dresses that include pockets.

I think that ML might work very well for a company like The Gap, which designs very generic clothes, and only varies small things.

Separately, marketing can affect the market quite a lot here, as fashion is an example of an industry with imperfect information. Consumers don't really know what's available. I suspect that there's a store near me that has what I want, but I don't know which store it is. For shoes, I still have not settled on a brand of shoes that doesn't squeak, doesn't slip when it rains, doesn't tear apart at the bottom very quickly, doesn't expand by a ridiculous amount or cause me to bleed after two hours, etc, but I don't know what brand that is. For dress shirts, I might find a perfect brand for my upper body, but if I gain or lose 10 lbs, I will need to find a new perfect brand.

Real talk: I still don't know where to buy nice buttoned shirts near where I live. They all have the wrong proportions, American men like ridiculously baggy clothes, likely because they're mostly overweight. My best fits are with foreign brands: YD (https://www.yd.com.au/au/shirts) from Australia, and Naracamicie (https://www.naracamicie-online.com/gb/12-shirts ) from Italy. I have the information that those provide good fits for me. But I still have imperfect information, I don't know when those brands go on sale, and that matters, because the prices can drop by much more than 50%.

An ML algorithm applied to the US market might not be able to suggest these types of fit, if they don't exist within the parameter space.

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by pjhair » 2 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
You almost certainly know more about ML than I do, so I'm willing to defer to your judgment
I actually just started learning ML. It was not part of my undergrad curriculum. But as my specialization in graduate school is in AI, I will learn a lot more ML and other topics in AI domain in coming semesters. But right now, I am a neophyte.
Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
I hope that you'll explain how this can be so. I just don't see how that's necessarily the case. My impression of ML is that it works extremely well when you are jumping within a well-characterized parameter space, but it's catastrophically bad when extrapolating. It also assumes every correlation that exists within your sample, and doesn't necessarily understand them.

To use the example of pockets in women's dresses again, an ML algorithm would never be able to invent that. That takes a lot of humans to mention it, and then eventually another human to seek to implement it, and then to convince others that it be implemented, and that it be well-marketed on a first release. After that, the person running the algorithm needs to add the (binary?) dimension "pocket" to the parameter space, otherwise the benefits or costs will be associated to the other properties of the first dresses that include pockets.
My recommendation to use ML was for products such as TV shows, catwalks , magazines for which it's easy to obtain data. Once we have good data and examples, it's easy to determine the optimal strategy using a suitable supervised learning algorithm.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 2 weeks ago

I think the average age of vogue readers is 37.

Also, runway and editorial models aren’t always that attractive vs the commercial or bikini models. (I don’t mean the bigger names) They tend to be extremely thin and tall and faces are a very unusual kind of beauty that not all covet. Makeup and hair and clothes can be amazing on these girls which is why I think they get chosen for the more artistic stuff that’s out there.

As for older women, I think we are represented pretty well. We have actresses doing work they find interearing well into old age now. We have many ads featuring older women who look great not just sexually great like Christie Brinkley but just healthy and vital for their age like Helen miren for L’Oréal.

I don’t need to see random women over 50 on runways or in ads to feel validated. To be honest, I don’t find runway shows that interesting. I went to a few in my 30s and the whole thing was like ‘this is really kind of silly’. It’s a lot of older women in audiences. Like famous 20 year olds and then older folks who can actually afford the clothes or buyers for stores.

Your priorities change. Not to say that you don’t still like and value beautiful clothes but what happens is you have a style that gets baked in by a certain point. You know what works and what doesn’t. And you don’t need or want the fashion industry dictating trends to you anymore. Of course some naturally trickle down and probably make an impression that’s not as direct.

As for beauty, it’s like only 2% of women have the photogenic looks to be a model, regardless of age.

I think it’s less about changing the standard of the beauty industry (which actually is changing on its own. Something recently happened with Victoria secret for example that their sales dropped as a result and a competitor took advantage of the backlash. It has to do with bustier women sizes)
J think it’s more about women realizing how silly it is and stop trying to be perfect.

And about women over 50 not posing naked, if she’s got it and looks good and is comfortable doing it, who cares? If you dislike it that’s okay too. But I don’t understand why women are allowed to be attractive over 40 or 50 with some caveats. The caveats should be if that person can get away with it or not to their own comfort levels. Some women don’t care if they are criticized they do their own thing anyway.

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Post by Arjen » 1 week ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago
1) @EvilLocks is not dumb. Only one of the active posters here is average or below average, and it's not her.
How did you assess intelligence here though? And why did you point out that there is an active poster who is average or below, if you don't like ranking and when you could just have said that EvilLocks is not dumb (or that most active users are above average) in your opinion?

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 1 week ago

Arjen wrote:
1 week ago
How did you assess intelligence here though? And why did you point out that there is an active poster who is average or below, if you don't like ranking and when you could just have said that EvilLocks is not dumb (or that most active users are above average) in your opinion?
She communicates well in her second (third?) language, she has an ability to see multiple sides of a discussion, she has an ability to evolve in her thinking, and she's made several points over time that would not have otherwise been made.

I should not be ranking people, and even here where I did so, I did mention the names, and my ranking is imprecise and doesn't include most posters.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 1 week ago

Arjen wrote:
1 week ago
How did you assess intelligence here though? And why did you point out that there is an active poster who is average or below, if you don't like ranking...
Look, we all know who this below average dumb-ass is so just come out and say it.

I don't even get offended anymore.

Johnson
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by Johnson » 1 week ago

Hard to say if its universal but I like that my own vanity level has diminished as I've progressed into my 30s. Its nice getting to a point where you don't feel like you have to look your best all the time.

Looks will always depreciate but the blessing is many of us don't care so much.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 1 week ago

Johnson wrote:
1 week ago
Hard to say if its universal but I like that my own vanity level has diminished as I've progressed into my 30s. Its nice getting to a point where you don't feel like you have to look your best all the time.

Johnson!! Glad you're back, mate!

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 1 week ago

Johnson wrote:
1 week ago

Yeah like you never cared about being bald for 2 months at a time before your 53rd consideration of a hair transplant.

Impending "nose jaw transplant and face lift" Johnson u-turn coming up in some weeks...
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 1 week ago

Johnson wrote:
1 week ago

What are you caring about lately?

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 1 week ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 week ago
What a nice guy! After my Johnson black pill (or rather, reminding people not to give in to the Johnson attention whoring)

I click up to see you Liked Johnson's post 9 hours ago, then I post with some realism (or "sniping" at my new target as you see it) which I really think people should be aware of, and you post half an hour after me to take an interest and show the world you're the good guy in comparison.

Why didn't you ask him when you first saw his post? Only posting after me instead? I thought you can't even see what I'm writing after all.

And I may technically be on ignore but there's no way you're not reading what I'm writing.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Johnson
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by Johnson » 1 week ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 week ago
Mostly career and education.

I really don't want to move back to the UK for a year, but I may have to progress in my career.