A thread for books

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
User avatar
Xexos
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 655
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 801
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: White women
Age: 20

A thread for books

#12727

Post by Xexos » 1 year ago

So guys, i've decided to take a break from video games and anime/tv shows (which would be very hard), due to the negative impact they have on my life. I also have decided to listen to music less frequently because i've become an addict and i always have headaches from the headphones.

My next cope or way to pass time would be reading books. Books are great for knowledge, maturing, getting life experience, and many other benefits.

ITT i want you to recommend me your favorite books that you think i should read, and try to pick something that would be easy to get into because i'm kinda a noob when it comes to books because i've not read many books before.
You're a shit tier dumb poster - earth is flat etc. Reminds me of the clueless aunt, uncle John was good, the kids always loved him, this is a shock to us. -Wolf Nutsack, 2020

User avatar
That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1385
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 2434
Norwood: NW2.5

A thread for books

#12730

Post by That Guy » 1 year ago

Image

Good starting point.

I've also been reading the Witcher books. They're good.

Image

User avatar
blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2175
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 4034

A thread for books

#12731

Post by blackg » 1 year ago

Books are overrated. I'd rather read The Daily Mail.
VIVA LAS VEGAS!

User avatar
Guest-4
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1926
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 5345
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

A thread for books

#12733

Post by Guest-4 » 1 year ago

Stan22 wrote:
1 year ago
So guys, i've decided to take a break from video games and anime/tv shows (which would be very hard), due to the negative impact they have on my life. I also have decided to listen to music less frequently because i've become an addict and i always have headaches from the headphones.

My next cope or way to pass time would be reading books. Books are great for knowledge, maturing, getting life experience, and many other benefits.

ITT i want you to recommend me your favorite books that you think i should read, and try to pick something that would be easy to get into because i'm kinda a noob when it comes to books because i've not read many books before.
For fiction, I'd recommend:
Image
Image
The second one is easier to read, so you can start with that one. The first one is frequently stated to be the greatest science fiction novel ever written, the writer took six years to research everything and plan and it's well-written. But it's a difficult read. It imagines a very distant future.

Foundation also imagines a distant future, but it has a simpler plot. The Galactic Empire is on the verge of collapse, and a historian realizes that nothing can be done to stop the collapse. So he's doing what he can to try and shorten the inevitable dark ages.

For non-fiction, buy any used copy of a college textbook on the history of western civilization. They're usually split into two, the first part covering up to the year 1789 AD, and the second part covering the years following 1789 AD. Millions of people have read those, and so the books should be available cheap if you buy them used:
Image
You can learn the basics of history and thus be likely to fall into the trap of just assigning random attributes to western civilization. It's the greatest story ever told. And don't worry you should see yourself reflected in it, as the near east and Egypt have both contributed to the history of the west. The Roman Empire, for example was largely reliant on Egyptian grain.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

I had a hair transplant operation with the clinic of Dr. Emrah Cinik in Istanbul, with 2750 grafts being mostly placed in the front. It was a success both for general aesthetics and general well-being, and I encourage others to do the same.

Guest-3
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 792
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 2465

A thread for books

#12734

Post by Guest-3 » 1 year ago

Stan22 wrote:
1 year ago
So guys, i've decided to take a break from video games and anime/tv shows (which would be very hard), due to the negative impact they have on my life. I also have decided to listen to music less frequently because i've become an addict and i always have headaches from the headphones.

My next cope or way to pass time would be reading books. Books are great for knowledge, maturing, getting life experience, and many other benefits.

ITT i want you to recommend me your favorite books that you think i should read, and try to pick something that would be easy to get into because i'm kinda a noob when it comes to books because i've not read many books before.
For fiction I will strongly recommend Wheel of Time in addition to Lord of the rings and Harry Potter.

The most interesting non-fiction book that I have ever read is Why does the world exist, written by philosopher Jim Holt. In the book he goes to worlds greatest physicists, philosophers and theologians and asks them their thoughts on the question why is there something rather than nothing. He interviewed likes of Roger Penrose, Steven Weinberg, etc. It was fascinating to peek into the minds of some of the most intelligent people alive.
Trump 2020

User avatar
kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 382
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 895
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: dutasteride, minoxidil, nizoral

A thread for books

#12801

Post by kj6723 » 1 year ago

pjhair wrote:
1 year ago
For fiction I will strongly recommend Wheel of Time in addition to Lord of the rings and Harry Potter.

The most interesting non-fiction book that I have ever read is Why does the world exist, written by philosopher Jim Holt. In the book he goes to worlds greatest physicists, philosophers and theologians and asks them their thoughts on the question why is there something rather than nothing. He interviewed likes of Roger Penrose, Steven Weinberg, etc. It was fascinating to peek into the minds of some of the most intelligent people alive.
Wheel of Time is amazing

Have you read any of Sanderson's Stormlight Archive books?

Currently I'm reading the Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

User avatar
Uncle Grandfather
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 217
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 643
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: 1 mg Finasteride, Saw Palmetto, Nizoral, Regenepure, Alcepin

A thread for books

#12802

Post by Uncle Grandfather » 1 year ago

Stan22 wrote:
1 year ago
and i always have headaches from the headphones
Have you tried earbuds? Joking aside, I'd strongly recommend the works of Seicho Matsumoto. He mainly wrote crime stories if you're into that. If I had to recommend just one book of his, I'd recommend Inspector Imanishi Investigates.
Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind

Grasshopper
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 149
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: finasteride 0.5mg, RU58841 2x40mg, Dermarolling bleeding weekly, Microdose minoxidil

A thread for books

#12805

Post by Grasshopper » 1 year ago

kj6723 wrote:
1 year ago
Wheel of Time is amazing

Have you read any of Sanderson's Stormlight Archive books?

Currently I'm reading the Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
All my favourites. I second that.
Currently reading the ancillary series by Ann leckie. Good stuff as well but more sci fi. Great thoughts about identity.
The main character is a spaceship ai. Her identity spreads over a small army of soldiers who had their mind deleted. Basically like the borg from first contact.

Oh, and I listen to all books now, either through piracy or audible. That way I read while doing the dishes commuting or cleaning my flat.

C4L
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 286
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 587
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: none
Location: India
Age: 40

A thread for books

#12821

Post by C4L » 1 year ago

1984
Russians must save Europe from the racist liberal elite.

Guest-3
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 792
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 2465

A thread for books

#12896

Post by Guest-3 » 1 year ago

kj6723 wrote:
1 year ago
Wheel of Time is amazing

Have you read any of Sanderson's Stormlight Archive books?

Currently I'm reading the Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Not yet but I plan to. I thought about reading it right after finishing Wheel of Time as I was really impressed by the last three installments of the series. However, only Way of the Kings was out at the time. I like to binge read when I start a series so I am waiting for more installments to come out before I start reading it.
Trump 2020

User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 605
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1952
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

A thread for books

#12899

Post by EvilLocks » 1 year ago

Stan22 wrote:
1 year ago
So guys, i've decided to take a break from video games and anime/tv shows (which would be very hard), due to the negative impact they have on my life. I also have decided to listen to music less frequently because i've become an addict and i always have headaches from the headphones.

My next cope or way to pass time would be reading books. Books are great for knowledge, maturing, getting life experience, and many other benefits.

ITT i want you to recommend me your favorite books that you think i should read, and try to pick something that would be easy to get into because i'm kinda a noob when it comes to books because i've not read many books before.
It's been a long time since I read a book but I remember The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini was pretty good.

User avatar
kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 382
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 895
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: dutasteride, minoxidil, nizoral

A thread for books

#12907

Post by kj6723 » 1 year ago

pjhair wrote:
1 year ago
Not yet but I plan to. I thought about reading it right after finishing Wheel of Time as I was really impressed by the last three installments of the series. However, only Way of the Kings was out at the time. I like to binge read when I start a series so I am waiting for more installments to come out before I start reading it.
Nice, gotcha. Yea I’m a slow reader so for me reading one of those books is basically binging :D

Way of King’s blew me away and the other 2 are fantastic as well

C4L
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 286
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 587
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: none
Location: India
Age: 40

A thread for books

#13010

Post by C4L » 1 year ago

kafka – the castle

not sure why but this book made above my expectations

not an easy reading though
Russians must save Europe from the racist liberal elite.

User avatar
JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 959
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1978
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

A thread for books

#13100

Post by JLBB » 1 year ago

-
Attachments
Naked.jpg
Naked.jpg (83.9 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
eye.jpg
eye.jpg (45.55 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
Crime.jpg
Crime.jpg (14.64 KiB) Viewed 1733 times

User avatar
Murkey Thumb
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 156
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 316
Norwood: NW4

A thread for books

#13108

Post by Murkey Thumb » 1 year ago

You will not be disappointed by these books. Although with Camus & Nietzsche its worth reading a synopsis first.
0_GuEKJUTdR24Yg86G_.jpg
0_GuEKJUTdR24Yg86G_.jpg (59.48 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
Attachments
pi.jpg
pi.jpg (10.77 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
fall0001.jpg
fall0001.jpg (253.74 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
ecce.jpg
ecce.jpg (7.08 KiB) Viewed 1707 times

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post