A thread for books

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Xexos
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1.25 MG ED .. Minoxidil 5% once ED .. Tea Tree Shampoo 3x a week ..

A thread for books

Post by Xexos » 3 weeks ago

So guys, i've decided to take a break from video games and anime/tv shows (which would be very hard), due to the negative impact they have on my life. I also have decided to listen to music less frequently because i've become an addict and i always have headaches from the headphones.

My next cope or way to pass time would be reading books. Books are great for knowledge, maturing, getting life experience, and many other benefits.

ITT i want you to recommend me your favorite books that you think i should read, and try to pick something that would be easy to get into because i'm kinda a noob when it comes to books because i've not read many books before.

That Guy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2.5

Re: A thread for books

Post by That Guy » 3 weeks ago

Good starting point.

I've also been reading the Witcher books. They're good.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 3 weeks ago

Books are overrated. I'd rather read The Daily Mail.
behold the sins of our forefathers

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 3 weeks ago

Stan22 wrote:
3 weeks ago
So guys, i've decided to take a break from video games and anime/tv shows (which would be very hard), due to the negative impact they have on my life. I also have decided to listen to music less frequently because i've become an addict and i always have headaches from the headphones.

My next cope or way to pass time would be reading books. Books are great for knowledge, maturing, getting life experience, and many other benefits.

ITT i want you to recommend me your favorite books that you think i should read, and try to pick something that would be easy to get into because i'm kinda a noob when it comes to books because i've not read many books before.
For fiction, I'd recommend:
The second one is easier to read, so you can start with that one. The first one is frequently stated to be the greatest science fiction novel ever written, the writer took six years to research everything and plan and it's well-written. But it's a difficult read. It imagines a very distant future.

Foundation also imagines a distant future, but it has a simpler plot. The Galactic Empire is on the verge of collapse, and a historian realizes that nothing can be done to stop the collapse. So he's doing what he can to try and shorten the inevitable dark ages.

For non-fiction, buy any used copy of a college textbook on the history of western civilization. They're usually split into two, the first part covering up to the year 1789 AD, and the second part covering the years following 1789 AD. Millions of people have read those, and so the books should be available cheap if you buy them used:
You can learn the basics of history and thus be likely to fall into the trap of just assigning random attributes to western civilization. It's the greatest story ever told. And don't worry you should see yourself reflected in it, as the near east and Egypt have both contributed to the history of the west. The Roman Empire, for example was largely reliant on Egyptian grain.

pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by pjhair » 3 weeks ago

Stan22 wrote:
3 weeks ago

For fiction I will strongly recommend Wheel of Time in addition to Lord of the rings and Harry Potter.

The most interesting non-fiction book that I have ever read is Why does the world exist, written by philosopher Jim Holt. In the book he goes to worlds greatest physicists, philosophers and theologians and asks them their thoughts on the question why is there something rather than nothing. He interviewed likes of Roger Penrose, Steven Weinberg, etc. It was fascinating to peek into the minds of some of the most intelligent people alive.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, dermastamp 1.5mm weekly, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 3 weeks ago

pjhair wrote:
3 weeks ago
For fiction I will strongly recommend Wheel of Time in addition to Lord of the rings and Harry Potter.

The most interesting non-fiction book that I have ever read is Why does the world exist, written by philosopher Jim Holt. In the book he goes to worlds greatest physicists, philosophers and theologians and asks them their thoughts on the question why is there something rather than nothing. He interviewed likes of Roger Penrose, Steven Weinberg, etc. It was fascinating to peek into the minds of some of the most intelligent people alive.
Wheel of Time is amazing

Have you read any of Sanderson's Stormlight Archive books?

Currently I'm reading the Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Uncle Grandfather
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: 5% Minoxidil, 1 mg Finasteride, Nizoral

Post by Uncle Grandfather » 3 weeks ago

Stan22 wrote:
3 weeks ago
and i always have headaches from the headphones
Have you tried earbuds? Joking aside, I'd strongly recommend the works of Seicho Matsumoto. He mainly wrote crime stories if you're into that. If I had to recommend just one book of his, I'd recommend Inspector Imanishi Investigates.
Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind

Grasshopper
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: finasteride 0.5mg, RU58841 2x40mg, Dermarolling bleeding weekly, Microdose minoxidil

Post by Grasshopper » 3 weeks ago

kj6723 wrote:
3 weeks ago
Wheel of Time is amazing

All my favourites. I second that.
Currently reading the ancillary series by Ann leckie. Good stuff as well but more sci fi. Great thoughts about identity.
The main character is a spaceship ai. Her identity spreads over a small army of soldiers who had their mind deleted. Basically like the borg from first contact.

Oh, and I listen to all books now, either through piracy or audible. That way I read while doing the dishes commuting or cleaning my flat.

C4L
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: dropped finasteride after almost 2 years

Post by C4L » 3 weeks ago

pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by pjhair » 3 weeks ago

kj6723 wrote:
3 weeks ago
Wheel of Time is amazing

Not yet but I plan to. I thought about reading it right after finishing Wheel of Time as I was really impressed by the last three installments of the series. However, only Way of the Kings was out at the time. I like to binge read when I start a series so I am waiting for more installments to come out before I start reading it.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 3 weeks ago

Stan22 wrote:
3 weeks ago

It's been a long time since I read a book but I remember The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini was pretty good.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, dermastamp 1.5mm weekly, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 3 weeks ago

pjhair wrote:
3 weeks ago
Not yet but I plan to. I thought about reading it right after finishing Wheel of Time as I was really impressed by the last three installments of the series. However, only Way of the Kings was out at the time. I like to binge read when I start a series so I am waiting for more installments to come out before I start reading it.
Nice, gotcha. Yea I’m a slow reader so for me reading one of those books is basically binging :D

Way of King’s blew me away and the other 2 are fantastic as well

C4L
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Regimen: dropped finasteride after almost 2 years

Post by C4L » 2 weeks ago

kafka – the castle

not sure why but this book made above my expectations

not an easy reading though

JLBB
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 2 weeks ago

-
Attachments
Naked.jpg
Naked.jpg (83.9 KiB) Viewed 169 times
eye.jpg
eye.jpg (45.55 KiB) Viewed 169 times
Crime.jpg
Crime.jpg (14.64 KiB) Viewed 169 times

Murkey Thumb
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by Murkey Thumb » 2 weeks ago

You will not be disappointed by these books. Although with Camus & Nietzsche its worth reading a synopsis first.
0_GuEKJUTdR24Yg86G_.jpg
0_GuEKJUTdR24Yg86G_.jpg (59.48 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Attachments
pi.jpg
pi.jpg (10.77 KiB) Viewed 143 times
fall0001.jpg
fall0001.jpg (253.74 KiB) Viewed 143 times
ecce.jpg
ecce.jpg (7.08 KiB) Viewed 143 times