Alita: Battle Angel

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: big 3, microneedling for absorption

Alita: Battle Angel

Post by koolaidshade » 4 weeks ago

I wanted this movie to have its own thread instead of letting it get mixed up in that film thread. Lets make sure that no spoilers get posted here

@Admin

I saw this movie last night. Holy fuck it is the best movie i have ever seen. I was not high at all by the way.

Before seeing it i had a feeling it would be at least somewhat decent since I thought producer James Cameron did a good job on Avatar, and director Robert Rodriguez made some good movies back then (From Dusk till Dawn, Machete, Machete Kills Again). Usually i prefer tv series to movies since it allows for build-up of suspence, character, and a lot of other things that go with them.

The storyline, effects, and action were very good. Nothing like the stupid ass capeshit movies that you see adult manchildren jizz themselves over these days. The whole time i was wide awake (it was close to midnight and i had a really long day) and my jaw literally dropped at some parts of the movie, like i had just seen prime Nina Dobrev pillow fight with her doppleganger and then eat her out or something.

How the fuck did Blacked panther, seaman, Avengers gayfinity war did better in sales than Alita, i dont know. I do not understand how grown ass adults enjoy those stupid ass movies in the first place, and it might be something i'll never understand like the bermunda triangle or 10th grade AP history

I'm sorry I'm not as good of a writer as most people here, who would probably do a better job of displaying my opinions. I just type whatever comes to mind and whatever I feel at the moment, with some edits of course

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Re: Alita: Battle Angel

Post by blackg » 4 weeks ago

Alita: Battle Angel is classified as Fantasy/Science Fiction.

Alita is found in the scrapyard of Iron City by Ido, a compassionate cyber-doctor who takes the unconscious cyborg Alita to his clinic. When Alita awakens, she has no memory of who she is, nor does she have any recognition of the world she finds herself in. As Alita learns to navigate her new life and the treacherous streets of Iron City, Ido tries to shield her from her mysterious past

This just sounds like another high fantasy movie for grown ass adults to jizz over.
behold the sins of our forefathers

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 4 weeks ago

Infinity War was so stupid. I think it was because it didn't go up against any other movies. It's the same reason
Glass didn't "bomb" after a few weeks at the box office. There was no competition.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by koolaidshade » 4 weeks ago

blackg wrote:
4 weeks ago
Alita: Battle Angel is classified as Fantasy/Science Fiction.

Alita is found in the scrapyard of Iron City by Ido, a compassionate cyber-doctor who takes the unconscious cyborg Alita to his clinic. When Alita awakens, she has no memory of who she is, nor does she have any recognition of the world she finds herself in. As Alita learns to navigate her new life and the treacherous streets of Iron City, Ido tries to shield her from her mysterious past

This just sounds like another high fantasy movie for grown ass adults to jizz over.
your ambiguous gender is a fantasy

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 4 weeks ago

@koolaidshade I was planning on watching it sometime in the next week. I'll let you know what I think after I've watched it.

A lot of people are reviewing it and having a range of feelings on it, I look forward to being able to read and understand those reviews.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 4 weeks ago

koolaidshade wrote:
4 weeks ago
your ambiguous gender is a fantasy
That's pure speculation.

That Guy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by That Guy » 4 weeks ago

blackg wrote:
4 weeks ago
Wow, look at you being right for once. Though I'd use the term "weebshit" as it's actually based on japanese anime.

pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by pjhair » 4 weeks ago

koolaidshade wrote:
4 weeks ago
I wanted this movie to have its own thread instead of letting it get mixed up in that film thread. Lets make sure that no spoilers get posted here

Admin

I saw this movie last night. Holy fuck it is the best movie i have ever seen. I was not high at all by the way.

Before seeing it i had a feeling it would be at least somewhat decent since I thought producer James Cameron did a good job on Avatar, and director Robert Rodriguez made some good movies back then (From Dusk till Dawn, Machete, Machete Kills Again). Usually i prefer tv series to movies since it allows for build-up of suspence, character, and a lot of other things that go with them.

The storyline, effects, and action were very good. Nothing like the stupid ass capeshit movies that you see adult manchildren jizz themselves over these days. The whole time i was wide awake (it was close to midnight and i had a really long day) and my jaw literally dropped at some parts of the movie, like i had just seen prime Nina Dobrev pillow fight with her doppleganger and then eat her out or something.

How the fuck did Blacked panther, seaman, Avengers gayfinity war did better in sales than Alita, i dont know. I do not understand how grown ass adults enjoy those stupid ass movies in the first place, and it might be something i'll never understand like the bermunda triangle or 10th grade AP history

I'm sorry I'm not as good of a writer as most people here, who would probably do a better job of displaying my opinions. I just type whatever comes to mind and whatever I feel at the moment, with some edits of course

Watched Alita tonight. Fantastic movie. I really hope they make the sequel. However, I will have to disagree with you about Infinity War. That was an excellent movie as well.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by koolaidshade » 3 weeks ago

pjhair wrote:
4 weeks ago
Watched Alita tonight. Fantastic movie. I really hope they make the sequel. However, I will have to disagree with you about Infinity War. That was an excellent movie as well.
that movie sucked! what was so good about it? It was 2 hours of boring capeshit and i almost fell asleep many times during that

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 3 weeks ago

koolaidshade wrote:
3 weeks ago
that movie sucked! what was so good about it? It was 2 hours of boring capeshit and i almost fell asleep many times during that
I've enjoyed Infinity War. I thought that it was a logical and coherent follow-up to the previous movies, and thus the narrative flowed fairly effortlessly. They did a good job of giving all of the relevant characters something interesting to do, and they did a good job of breaking up the characters into different groups so that the audience got to see different interactions. They've also cut down on the annoying humor which undermined previous MCU films.

Thanos was a sympathetic villain in that his plan is basically a metaphor for the history of human warfare. All wars are fought for control of finite resources. However, people never actually believe that the deaths are random :-)

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 3 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago
Thanos was a sympathetic villain in that his plan is basically a metaphor for the history of human warfare. All wars are fought for control of finite resources. However, people never actually believe that the deaths are random :-)
That's it, you have one cause for human warfare? To hell with the multivariate analysis all of a sudden?

One of the greatest scientific minds I know just throws his analytical mind to the trash for a very convenient one-dimensional Marxist/economically motivated explanation.

The power of ideologies.

Yeah sure, Auschwitz was primaraly about controlling resourcess, not inflicting evil on other human beings for the sake of it. There's no long dissertation you could write here to help justify that atrocity with a materialist worldview.

In the end, it was obviously and universally evil, and everyone can see that, but they/we did it anyway. But it was probably to control their golden teeth and glasses or something. Finite material resources bruh.

Thanos is a metaphor for evil totalitarian people that value their intellect and rationality above all else. "The planet would be better off with half less people on it". Now where have I heard that before? Great vilain.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 3 weeks ago

Admin wrote:
3 weeks ago
That's it, you have one cause for human warfare? To hell with the multivariate analysis all of a sudden?

One of the greatest scientific minds I know just throws analytical mind to the trash for a very convenient one-dimensional Marxist/economically motivated explanation.

The power of ideologies.

Yeah sure, Auschwitz was primaraly about controlling resourcess, not inflicting evil on other human beings for the sake of it. There's no long dissertation you could write here to help justify that atrocity with a materialist worldview.

In the end, it was obviously universally evil, and everyone can see that, but they/we did it anyway. But it was probably to control their golden teeth and glasses or something. Finite material resources bruh.

Thanos is a metaphor for evil totalitarian forces who value their intellect and rationality above all else. "The planet would be better off with half less people on it". Now where have I heard that before? Great vilain.
Facts not feelings, Admin. Bombs not books.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, dermastamp 1.5mm weekly, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 3 weeks ago

I enjoy some of the marvel movies in moderation but I understand why some people cringe at them. They’re like a step above professional wrestling in terms of over the top characters/costumes and cheesily unrealistic fighting :straight-smile:

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 3 weeks ago

Admin wrote:
3 weeks ago

One of the greatest scientific minds I know just throws his analytical mind to the trash for a very convenient one-dimensional Marxist/economically motivated explanation.

The power of ideologies.

In the end, it was obviously and universally evil, and everyone can see that, but they/we did it anyway. But it was probably to control their golden teeth and glasses or something. Finite material resources bruh.

Thanos is a metaphor for evil totalitarian people that value their intellect and rationality above all else. "The planet would be better off with half less people on it". Now where have I heard that before? Great vilain.
I agree that my language was sloppy. It erroneously implied that a common thing was a universal thing. The latter point is not demonstrated, and I don't actually believe it to be correct. Thank you for the correction.

Concerning Auschwitz and WWII, Hitler was often clear about his intentions. He wanted more living space ("Lebensraum") for Germany, and his primary enemy were the marxists/communists/slavs. This showed up very early in his writings. Auschwitz, I have recently learned, was originally set up to kill the Slavic population. Had Germany won the second world war (which it came close to doing), they would have systematically exterminated the population there. A metaphor that the Nazis used was that the Germans should colonize Eastern Europe in the same manner that the Anglo Saxons took over aboriginal lands in North America.

The other front of the second world war, the pacific front, happened because Japan had a large, industrialized population but lacked the natural resources that it craved within its borders. The bombing of Pearl Harbour happened to allow the Imperial Japanese Navy to take over natural resources, such as some of the petroleum near ... I think it was Indonesia.

So WWII is a good example of a war being fought over resources.

Goebells would regularly point out that Jews dominated positions in the German and European arts, sciences, and banking. He bragged that they were able to replace, for example, the Jewish filmmakers. There's a video recording that you can find. But the joke was on him, they might have won the war if they had kept their Jewish scientists.

"Evil" is a term that people throw around to describe anything that they disagree with. I prefer Socrates' analysis: No man knowingly commits evil. People always think that they're doing the right thing, unless they have a hole in their brain. Therefore, understanding people's actions in terms of their material positions, and/or their ideologies, is helpful.

This also applies to the left. The left, at least in North America, is also being radicalized. Large swaths of them believe that all Trump supporters are racists. Whenever I point out some problems with that kind of thinking, I feel like I'm playing tennis against the wall. It doesn't go anywhere. People like to indulge in their polarization, it provides "benefits" such as a sense of self-righteousness.

Added in 4 minutes 30 seconds:
kj6723 wrote:
3 weeks ago
I enjoy some of the marvel movies in moderation but I understand why some people cringe at them. They’re like a step above professional wrestling in terms of over the top characters/costumes and cheesily unrealistic fighting :straight-smile:
I enjoy the movies, but I don't like their cultural dominance. For me, they should be movies that are watched among large numbers of movies that are watched, but a lot of people seem to only watch Marvel and Star Wars. For example, I have a much harder time getting people to watch other kinds of movies with me.

The issue of discussion matters as well. We've had a lot of brilliant essays put out, for example, on the issue of whether or not The Last Jedi is a good film. in my opinion, it's an average film, but it's worth watching just to be able to read and learn from those essays. However, I wish that more intellectual capital was poured into better and more interesting movies. For example, I saw four movies at the Sundance Film Festival, but I could not find any competent discussion of them after a brief search.

pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by pjhair » 3 weeks ago

koolaidshade wrote:
3 weeks ago
I don't really analyze or even discuss why I liked or disliked a movie. If I have a good time watching a movie, I like it. I had a blast watching Infinity War. It's not as though I am a Marvel enthusiast. I disliked Ironman 2, Antman, Guardian of Galaxy 2 for example. I found Black Panther to be average and felt like critics were exaggerating it's quality. It's rated almost as good as The Dark Knight even though I think the latter is a vastly superior movie.

I am not sure if you have watched Logan. Please do if you get a chance. It's a great movie. I put it in the same tier as The Dark Knight.