Music you're currently listening to

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Re: Music you're currently listening to

Post by blackg » 7 months ago

Admin wrote:
7 months ago
I noticed it on Rateyourmusic too, they underrate the band and just label them commercial. Some mainstream music band are truly as close to shit as can be, don't get me wrong on that. "Look what you made me do" by Taylor Swift comes to mind.

But in the case of The 1975, it's that Cain and Abel pattern that we see at play, people who criticize them have comes to idealize the underground music they usually listen to, so much that the minute a band becomes famous, well they're not special anymore, because those people define themselves as different from those people who would listen to the 1975, they're more edgy, more intelligent, have better tastes in music you see.

And a lot of them are probably musicians who wish they had made it but failed, depiste the fact that they knew all their scales and could play jazz no one had ever heard of at the speed of 150BPM, the fact that those guys who put out seemingly easy pop songs get famous is unfair to them, and they hate that this is even the norm in our universe. So even if they secretly like the band, they'll viciously destroy it.

This is what I meant by a Cain and Abel pattern. I heard stories about how indie music lovers wetting their pants over Jeff Buckley's songs... until they realize who it was and how insanely famous he was. All of a sudden it was complete shit and look at that cover! He looks like the member of a boys band! Lololol:

So yeah, it's just one of the darkest aspects of human nature, it's resentment, envy and jealousy at play.
Is it really all just about jealousy or are some ideals being trashed here when an artist blatantly changes their sound?
embrace pansexuality

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 7 months ago

blackg wrote:
7 months ago
Is it really all just about jealousy or are some ideals being trashed here when an artist blatantly changes their sound?
Don't get me wrong here, there are some genuine situations where an artist truly sells out: Coldplay, Taylor Swift, Maroon 5, etc. They set out to compose complete shit and it becomes painfully obvious they're phoning it in and can get away with it only because of their name, had they done that as a first single, even their hardcore fans would have thrown up on it.

In this case it's not jealousy, you just know that something is wrong with those songs deep in your soul, they're taking the audience for fools. I wouldn't even have a problem with it if they were honest about it like some artists will do: "we make trash and we have no problem with it, enjoy!" But not here, their narcissism takes over and makes them think they're doing something great, while nothing could be further from the truth.

I know about all those crassly commercial pop songs because that's what my girlfriend listens to, I know, fuck me right :p. We often have a good laugh about it because I can pick up the patterns and point out why they sound ridiculous and often like each other. Like on the radio, you'll hear 5 songs in the same key, rythm and chord progression, so I can just switch up their lyrics. Usually when I do that, my girlfriend hits me "come on, it's not true, they don't sound the same!". Yeah, they do:

Edit: hang on, I was watching the video of Paul Joseph Watson again and noticed he was mentioning this article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... de/403192/

bald-norwegians.jpg
bald-norwegians.jpg (28.04 KiB) Viewed 1151 times

"Meet the bald Norwegians", the fuck does bald have to do with anything? Oh yeah I guess it's too underline the contrast between the fullhead artists who get to perform the songs and the ugly baldo's who actually make the songs in the shadows.

Johnt1997
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Regimen: Propecia - 0.5mg/day
Minoxidil - 5 & 12.5%
Regenepure shampoo

Post by Johnt1997 » 7 months ago

Admin wrote:
7 months ago
Don't get me wrong here, there are some genuine situations where an artist truly sells out: Coldplay, Taylor Swift, Maroon 5, etc. They set out to compose complete shit and it becomes painfully obvious they're phoning it in and can get away with it only because of their name, had they done that as a first single, even their hardcore fans would have thrown up on it.

In this case it's not jealousy, you just know that something is wrong with those songs deep in your soul, they're taking the audience for fools. I wouldn't even have a problem with it if they were honest about it like some artists will do: "we make trash and we have no problem with it, enjoy!" But not here, their narcissism takes over and makes them think they're doing something great, while nothing could be further from the truth.

I know about all those crassly commercial pop songs because that's what my girlfriend listens to, I know, fuck me right :p. We often have a good laugh about it because I can pick up the patterns and point out why they sound ridiculous and often like each other. Like on the radio, you'll hear 5 songs in the same key, rythm and chord progression, so I can just switch up their lyrics. Usually when I do that, my girlfriend hits me "come on, it's not true, they don't sound the same!". Yeah, they do:

Edit: hang on, I was watching the video of Paul Joseph Watson again and noticed he was mentioning this article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... de/403192/

bald-norwegians.jpg

"Meet the bald Norwegians", the fuck does bald have to do with anything? Oh yeah I guess it's too underline the contrast between the fullhead artists who get to perform the songs and the ugly baldo's who actually make the songs in the shadows.
Art made by formula can definitely not be considered art.

Although, a lot of these songs are very listenable and get stuck in your head, this is obviously completely the intention of the record label/artist. Some is just complete shite though and isn't even listenable. Bastille is another good example of an indie band that sold out

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Post by Arjen » 6 months ago

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Shaving

Post by Arjen » 3 months ago

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 3 months ago

Murkey Thumb
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW4

Post by Murkey Thumb » 3 months ago

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 3 months ago

That Guy wrote:
1 year ago
I figured we could use a thread to discuss whatever bands/composers, albums, and songs you are presently listening to and general discussion about said music.
Some of my favorites:

As you can hear my taste in music is all over the place :lol:.
En får væra som en er når'n itte vart som en sku :thumbup:

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 3 months ago

Lullaby by the Cure is a good song.
embrace pansexuality

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 3 months ago

@nameless
@scorpiolove

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 3 months ago

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 3 months ago

Admin wrote:
7 months ago
Damn, I found my new obsession, The 1975's last album, especially those songs:

This one has a nice christmassy feeling:

And I love the seemingly nonsensical chorus on this one:

I know they're considered a mainstream pop band by a lot of music lovers who don't see them as "indie" enough, that debate will never go away it seems. But in terms of the music itself, how they've captured the atmosphere of our era, and especially how they look fucking ridiculous and cool at the same time, I think they're amazing, everything pop music should be about.

As Noel Gallagher would say: pop music is about looking effortlessly cool and ridiculous at the same time.

in my opinion this was maybe the quintessential track of 2018, at least in terms of capturing the Zeitgeist. Political without empty platitudes and perfectly balancing that seriousness with ridiculousness and bravado.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by That Guy » 3 months ago

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 3 months ago

That Guy wrote: