Music you're currently listening to

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
That Guy
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2.5

Music you're currently listening to

Post by That Guy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:36 pm

I figured we could use a thread to discuss whatever bands/composers, albums, and songs you are presently listening to and general discussion about said music.

I've been on a funk music bender lately, listening to some classics and funk-influenced music.

Always been a fan of Max Martin's stuff from the 90s.

I've also been into mashups lately. This is easily the latest and greatest:

I hate Slayer, but man I love this :lol:

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Re: Music you're currently listening to

Post by blackg » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:11 am

I love me a fine mash-up. Actually I've found a few involving John Lennon's classic song Imagine.

One mashed with Miley Circus the other mashed with Van Halen's Jump.

I also like a mash-up artist named Paolo Monti and his channel on YouTube is worth checking out.

As far as normal music... I keep going back to Modern Vampires of the City by Vampire Weekend.
Stop the caravans!

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling every 10 days

Post by Admin » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:21 am

At the moment I'm crazy about those 80's revival bands like

The Midnight:

FM-84:

Mitch Murder:

It's like they captured everything that was good about 80's music, the warmth, the borderline cheesiness and on top of that, the videos often complement the songs perfectly. It's such a unique atmosphere and fills me with nostalgia and hope for the future at the same time, even though I was born in 1989.

I've been enjoying this music even more since I got a decent head of hair back. Weird uh? Well it makes sense, in all the videos often featuring clips from 80's classic movies, you won't see any bald guy, unless it's the bald principal of Back to the Future or the guy losing his wig at the end of The Goonies. No wonder my father had to get a hair piece to survive this era back in 1979.

I still remember the first time I felt really, really sad about my hair loss, back when I was 19, there was an article about the 25 year anniversary of the Back to the Future franchise, and I saw looking at Marty McFly's hair and suddenly realize: "the hero, the good guy has hair, always, now you'll never project that image again" and it broke my heart.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:30 pm

Those arrangements on the music of the animated movie Your Name are just divine like the movie and its story themselves:

I'm in a quite romantic and nostalgic mood lately (even though I played that game for the first time like 5 months ago):

So sad that this kind of cheesy disney-like music I really appreciate quickly died out in the late 1990's.

Anyway, what are you guys currently listening to?

Talk about resurrecting a dead thread :p.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

Johnt1997
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Regimen: Propecia - 0.5mg/day
Minoxidil - 5 & 12.5%
Regenepure shampoo

Post by Johnt1997 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:29 pm

I know its cliché and lame as hell to say but i listen to all kinds of music, i always hate being asked what music i listen to.

I can listen to anything from current charting music(bieber, drake, troye sivane, post malone etc) that i hear all the time in clubs and things, to some more obscure bands most people haven't heard of(spook school, lets eat grandma, bright eyes, belle and Sebastian, etc) I've seen a few of these bands live at local venues for like £8-12 a ticket

I also really enjoy 80s, 90s and 00s stuff(arctic monkeys, oasis, smiths, bowie, blur, kasabian, the specials, lcd soundystem) There are lots of contemporary sort of indie rock bands i can enjoy too(two door cinema club, alt j, the 1975, the hunna)

I also like some rappers too haha

A musician that i discovered more recently(due to his death being reported in the news) is lil peep. He is someone that i really like now. Some of my favourite song are benz truck, the brightside, sex, we think too much. His music helped me a lot when the girl i was seeing cut me off overnight and left me for her ex back in the summer

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:30 pm

All time Christmas Favorites by Barry Manilow.
Stop the caravans!

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Johnt1997 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:29 pm
Belle and Sebastian
The band that got me through the darkest times of my life and I had no idea why. I remember being put off by the fact that its singer and songwriter was a newborn Christian who got saved from existential angst and depression after finding God:

https://www.christiantoday.com/article/ ... h/5020.htm

Having gone through the same journey myself now, I completely understand where Stuart Murdoch was coming from and also why his music and lyrics touched me so deeply. He sort of had access to a part of that metaphysical reality I was trying so hard to reject, making myself suffer way more than I had to (going through hair loss and shit).

Murdoch often mentions in interview how lost he was and how he had no direction in life, to the point he was just taking city buses and let them drive him around. It's a part he will include in his songs:

"Riding on city buses for a hobby is sad"

This one also touched me very deeply:

You have grood taste in music :). I also have very diverse tastes, if I like it, I like it, even though I usually don't know why. Why music can move us so deeply largely remains a mystery.

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:44 pm

I really like Metallica, they have a good sense of melody. There not just a
"speed metal" band.

Baldingat20
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Propecia

Post by Baldingat20 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:07 pm

Dear Stan - Eminem

Johnny cash

Tupac

Baldingat20
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Regimen: Propecia

Post by Baldingat20 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:09 pm

Johnt1997 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:29 pm
I know its cliché and lame as hell to say but i listen to all kinds of music, i always hate being asked what music i listen to.

I can listen to anything from current charting music(bieber, drake, troye sivane, post malone etc) that i hear all the time in clubs and things, to some more obscure bands most people haven't heard of(spook school, lets eat grandma, bright eyes, belle and Sebastian, etc) I've seen a few of these bands live at local venues for like £8-12 a ticket

I also really enjoy 80s, 90s and 00s stuff(arctic monkeys, oasis, smiths, bowie, blur, kasabian, the specials, lcd soundystem) There are lots of contemporary sort of indie rock bands i can enjoy too(two door cinema club, alt j, the 1975, the hunna)

I also like some rappers too haha

A musician that i discovered more recently(due to his death being reported in the news) is lil peep. He is someone that i really like now. Some of my favourite song are benz truck, the brightside, sex, we think too much. His music helped me a lot when the girl i was seeing cut me off overnight and left me for her ex back in the summer
I’ve heard lil peep to lol he’s kinda good for when your feeling pissed or something

shadylane
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Regimen: Minoxdil, Zinc Thymulin, Keto Cream, Derminator

Post by shadylane » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:20 pm

Admin wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:02 pm
The band that got me through the darkest times of my life and I had no idea why. I remember being put off by the fact that its singer and songwriter was a newborn Christian who got saved from existential angst and depression after finding God:

https://www.christiantoday.com/article/ ... h/5020.htm

Having gone through the same journey myself now, I completely understand where Stuart Murdoch was coming from and also why his music and lyrics touched me so deeply. He sort of had access to a part of that metaphysical reality I was trying so hard to reject, making myself suffer way more than I had to (going through hair loss and shit).

Murdoch often mentions in interview how lost he was and how he had no direction in life, to the point he was just taking city buses and let them drive him around. It's a part he will include in his songs:

"Riding on city buses for a hobby is sad"

This one also touched me very deeply:

You have grood taste in music :). I also have very diverse tastes, if I like it, I like it, even though I usually don't know why. Why music can move us so deeply largely remains a mystery.

Saw them a few months ago, love Belle and sebastian.

Favourite bands are Blur, Radiohead, Pavement, REM, Super Furry Animals, The Manics, love David Bowie too.

I have around 1000 albums, think I spent a shit load of cash on music. :o

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:00 pm

Damn, I found my new obsession, The 1975's last album, especially those songs:

This one has a nice christmassy feeling:

And I love the seemingly nonsensical chorus on this one:

I know they're considered a mainstream pop band by a lot of music lovers who don't see them as "indie" enough, that debate will never go away it seems. But in terms of the music itself, how they've captured the atmosphere of our era, and especially how they look fucking ridiculous and cool at the same time, I think they're amazing, everything pop music should be about.

As Noel Gallagher would say: pop music is about looking effortlessly cool and ridiculous at the same time.

Johnt1997
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Regimen: Propecia - 0.5mg/day
Minoxidil - 5 & 12.5%
Regenepure shampoo

Post by Johnt1997 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:37 pm

Admin wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:00 pm
Damn, I found my new obsession, The 1975's last album, especially those songs:

This one has a nice christmassy feeling:

And I love the seemingly nonsensical chorus on this one:

I know they're considered a mainstream pop band by a lot of music lovers who don't see them as "indie" enough, that debate will never go away it seems. But in terms of the music itself, how they've captured the atmosphere of our era, and especially how they look fucking ridiculous and cool at the same time, I think they're amazing, everything pop music should be about.

As Noel Gallagher would say: pop music is about looking effortlessly cool and ridiculous at the same time.
I like the 1975 too, some very catchy 'pop' type songs but also songs that are a bit deeper('somebody else', 'love it if we made it'

I have twitter and so called 'indie twitter' loves to shit on them for some reason. Matty Healy does say some fairly controversial things about the band but i don't understand the hate at all

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:59 pm

Johnt1997 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:37 pm
I have twitter and so called 'indie twitter' loves to shit on them for some reason. Matty Healy does say some fairly controversial things about the band but i don't understand the hate at all
I noticed it on Rateyourmusic too, they underrate the band and just label them commercial. Some mainstream music band are truly as close to shit as can be, don't get me wrong on that. "Look what you made me do" by Taylor Swift comes to mind.

But in the case of The 1975, it's that Cain and Abel pattern that we see at play, people who criticize them have comes to idealize the underground music they usually listen to, so much that the minute a band becomes famous, well they're not special anymore, because those people define themselves as different from those people who would listen to the 1975, they're more edgy, more intelligent, have better tastes in music you see.

And a lot of them are probably musicians who wish they had made it but failed, depiste the fact that they knew all their scales and could play jazz no one had ever heard of at the speed of 150BPM, the fact that those guys who put out seemingly easy pop songs get famous is unfair to them, and they hate that this is even the norm in our universe. So even if they secretly like the band, they'll viciously destroy it.

This is what I meant by a Cain and Abel pattern. I heard stories about how indie music lovers wetting their pants over Jeff Buckley's songs... until they realize who it was and how insanely famous he was. All of a sudden it was complete shit and look at that cover! He looks like the member of a boys band! Lololol:

So yeah, it's just one of the darkest aspects of human nature, it's resentment, envy and jealousy at play.

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:04 pm

I can't listen to Pop Music. Sometimes I wished I could be more "mainstream" because my kind of music limits yourselves a lot in going out. There is not really a "Club" Scene for Metal people.

Anyway. I'm very into Metal and the last 2-3 years into Progressive Metal.