1 million dollars or being an 8 in looks

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.

$ 1'000'000 or being an 8 in looks

The money
40%
The looks
60%

Total votes: 15

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

1 million dollars or being an 8 in looks

Post by Arjen » 5 months ago

I've just discussed this with two guys at work and our choices differ...

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Re: 1 million dollars or being an 8 in looks

Post by Admin » 5 months ago

I'm glad we have a slightly more interesting poll that the bikini one :p.

Well, can I be a smartass about it and pick it apart? To really increase the power and relevance of this question, a distinction should be made between largely unalterable physical traits and flaws that can relatively easily fixable via plastic surgery.

And by that I mean disadvantage that goes from crooked teeth to even a NW6 with an average donor area. You will largely be able to come back from them with those 1 million dollars.

On the other hand, if you have an asymmetric and unaesthetic facial structure, if you're short (of course I include this as part of looks, or outward appearance), if you're NW7 or if you have a naturally narrow body frame, you will largely be stuck there even with all the money in the world.

So with the former case, I would take the money and then hire the best surgeons in the world in their respective areas to fix those flaws while in the latter, I would just take the 8/10 looks if it meant having a symmetrical face, being tall and having a naturally wide body frame.

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Admin wrote:
5 months ago
I'm glad we have a slightly more interesting poll that the bikini one :p.

Well, can I be a smartass about it and pick it apart? To really increase the power and relevance of this question, a distinction should be made between largely unalterable physical traits and flaws that can relatively easily fixable via plastic surgery.

And by that I mean disadvantage that goes from crooked teeth to even a NW6 with an average donor area. You will largely be able to come back from them with those 1 million dollars.

On the other hand, if you have an asymmetric and unaesthetic facial structure, if you're short (of course I include this as part of looks, or outward appearance), if you're NW7 or if you have a naturally narrow body frame, you will largely be stuck there even with all the money in the world.

So with the former case, I would take the money and then hire the best surgeons in the world in their respective areas to fix those flaws while in the latter, I would just take the 8/10 looks if it meant having a symmetrical face, being tall and having a naturally wide body frame.
Valid points, but the choice to make here is not an abstract, but personal one. I don't think I need to tell you what I'd go for. :P Different story with 10 million though.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Arjen wrote:
5 months ago
Valid points, but the choice to make here is not an abstract, but personal one. I don't think I need to tell you what I'd go for. :P Different story with 10 million though.
I can be even more of a smartass and say you should be wary of unearned money, looks or anything of value you're being served on a silver platter.

I've been criticized for implying that I had earned my looks somehow, well, that I had earned them back, while in fact, my height and face that went well with the bald look saved me.

You can easily become blind to those characteristics you've always had (well, since adolescence) and cannot lose like your hair. It's something that can easily enrage you with the chads our there who won't hesitate to give you unsolicited advice, not understanding that they're sitting on an unearned treasure.

Anyway, my point here is, don't be so sure you would automatically possess the wisdom to do "the right thing" with either those 10 millions or those 8/10 looks. The vast majority of people who win the lottery or are born with absolute chad looks will often squander their wealth or burn themselves out.

I think zircon once said that on HairlossTalk as a comeback to the "it's all ogre" incel crowd: having some limitations that you have to overcome are actually what makes life fun and worth it. I guess your problem here is that you feel too many "unfair" limitations have been placed upon you, and if only those could be lifted, you'd be exactly where you want to be. I wouldn't be so sure of that.

For example, I recently started learning the piano, and I know I will never be playing Rachmaninov even half-decently, but these last two weeks, I've been sitting down and slowly learning to play all the major scales with both hands, looking like a retard and feeling like a fool for even struggling at that stage. But yesterday, once it all came together and could fluently play those major scales, it was just the best feeling ever, even though it seems like it's nothing and the little 5 year old Chinese kid who can play Mozart fluently would laugh at me.

In your mind, I'd be better off with the natural talent of that Chinese kid, I could just look at the piano keys and "see the notes as colors" as a highly autistic pianist who could play like a god told me once. Instead of actually having to put hundreds of hours of frustrating work to get to 1/10th of his natural ability.

To tie it back to having 8/10 looks or 10 million euros, don't be so sure you'd be better off, more fulfilled or happier with those in your possession. If I see a chad, I will only admire him if he managed to do the best with his looks. With great advantages comes a greater responsibility to achieve greater goals. You would not be off the hook if you had those 8/10 looks or that monetary wealth, because the bar of your potential would be raised to new heights along with those advantages.

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » 5 months ago

At fuck you money level like 10+ Million I might go for the money.

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Admin wrote:
5 months ago
I can be even more of a smartass and say you should be wary of unearned money, looks or anything of value you're being served on a silver platter.

I've been criticized for implying that I had earned my looks somehow, well, that I had earned them back, while in fact, my height and face that went well with the bald look saved me.

You can easily become blind to those characteristics you've always had (well, since adolescence) and cannot lose like your hair. It's something that can easily enrage you with the chads our there who won't hesitate to give you unsolicited advice, not understanding that they're sitting on an unearned treasure.

Anyway, my point here is, don't be so sure you would automatically possess the wisdom to do "the right thing" with either those 10 millions or those 8/10 looks. The vast majority of people who win the lottery or are born with absolute chad looks will often squander their wealth or burn themselves out.

I think zircon once said that on HairlossTalk as a comeback to the "it's all ogre" incel crowd: having some limitations that you have to overcome are actually what makes life fun and worth it. I guess your problem here is that you feel too many "unfair" limitations have been placed upon you, and if only those could be lifted, you'd be exactly where you want to be. I wouldn't be so sure of that.

For example, I recently started learning the piano, and I know I will never be playing Rachmaninov even half-decently, but these last two weeks, I've been sitting down and slowly learning to play all the major scales with both hands, looking like a retard and feeling like a fool for even struggling at that stage. But yesterday, once it all came together and could fluently play those major scales, it was just the best feeling ever, even though it seems like it's nothing and the little 5 year old Chinese kid who can play Mozart fluently would laugh at me.

In your mind, I'd better off with the natural talent of that Chinese kid, I could just look at the piano keys and "see the notes as colors" as a highly autistic pianist who could play like a God told me once. Instead of actually having to put hundreds of hours of frustrating work to get to 1/10th of his natural ability.

To tie it back to having 8/10 looks or 10 million euros, don't be so sure you'd be better off, more fulfilled or happier with those in your possession. If I see a chad, I will only admire him if he managed to do the best with his looks. With great advantages comes a greater responsibility to achieve greater goals. You would not be off the hook if you had those 8/10 looks or that monetary wealth, because the bar of your potential would be raised to new heights along with those advantages.
I am not surprised to read this from you, since you wrote something similar with regard to wisdom, if I remember correctly.

And I get your point. And I know that for example an old friend of mine who was blessed with extraordinary intelligence would agree with you. While he is proud of the hard work he still had to put in in addition to his gift, I've always been an admirer of raw talent, especially in football.
In fact, it's a discussion I'd always disagree with most: fans complaining that player X is not living up to his potential, so he should be replaced with Y who is putting in more effort. Why, I'd say, if X at 80% of his level still has more to offer than Y exhausting his more limited talent.
Also, I used to be struggling with chemistry at school quite a bit for example, so I had to study to get a decent grade. When I did, the teacher complimented me on it: Well done, this time you put in an effort.
I was kind of ambarrassed that I had to put in an effort to get a barely above average grade. Getting the same grade at a different subject without having to work for it gave me more satisfaction.
Or at football: wow, yeah, now I made more runs, put in some pseudo-tacklings, and now the coach doesn't take me off anymore - how stupid, anybody can do this!
I know it's childish and stubborn, but this has always kind of been me. :roll:
So, I'm pretty sure I would not fulfil my potential as an 8, but I think it'd be happier with myself and what I'd get out of it - importantly without much effort!

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 5 months ago

Arjen wrote:
5 months ago
I've just discussed this with two guys at work and our choices differ...
Easy, the looks. But I'd rather be a 10 than an 8 though ;) People with extremely good looks are likely to profit off their looks anyway, become a model, actress/actor, marry someone rich etc. If you choose the money you just have the money :lol:
En får væra som en er når'n itte vart som en sku :thumbup:

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Arjen wrote:
5 months ago
I am not surprised to read this from you, since you wrote something similar with regard to wisdom, if I remember correctly.

And I get your point. And I know that for example an old friend of mine who was blessed with extraordinary intelligence would agree with you. While he is proud of the hard work he still had to put in in addition to his gift, I've always been an admirer of raw talent, especially in football.
In fact, it's a discussion I'd always disagree with most: fans complaining that player X is not living up to his potential, so he should be replaced with Y who is putting in more effort. Why, I'd say, if X at 80% of his level still has more to offer than Y exhausting his more limited talent.
Also, I used to be struggling with chemistry at school quite a bit for example, so I had to study to get a decent grade. When I did, the teacher complimented me on it: Well done, this time you put in an effort.
I was kind of ambarrassed that I had to put in an effort to get a barely above average grade. Getting the same grade at a different subject without having to work for it gave me more satisfaction.
Or at football: wow, yeah, now I made more runs, put in some pseudo-tacklings, and now the coach doesn't take me off anymore - how stupid, anybody can do this!
I know it's childish and stubborn, but this has always kind of been me. :roll:
So, I'm pretty sure I would not fulfil my potential as an 8, but I think it'd be happier with myself and what I'd get out of it - importantly without much effort!
It's an argument I've heard from my best friend about France and especially Mbappé, he has the absolute talent so he can be a major dick, disregard fair play completely and you can even extend all those horrible traits to have to the whole team, what matters is that France won the World Cup.

The fact that my friend would even think up that argument with such ease is not surprising, it has partially something to do with with the fact that he's Muslim and Muslims around the world are used to being the losers unless they use the most unfair means imaginable. So of course he would say "well we won so I don't see the problem! It wouldn't have happened if people just submitted to our greatness and knew what was good for them!".

He's wrong though, everything matters, especially fairness, and France's title was not only forgotten in a matter of days, but they were mocked and held in contempt all over the world. And what did they do in the fact of that? They doubled down and called everyone (especially us Belgian) jelly bad losers who wish they had players like Mbappé.

I think people are right to hold people who squander their potential in contempt and to want them replaced with a kid who might have less raw talent but will push themselves to their limits and beyond while exhibiting virtues like fairness, kindness and humility. Somehow as I'm writing this, this scene from the movie Gattaca comes to mind:

But of course, those traits only matter if you think they matter, you say you'd just take the raw talent without making the most of it without feeling guilty, just for selfish reasons and to enjoy the fruits of those unearned benefits, and why not? It's something I can surely understand. Personally, I couldn't, I feel it even when it comes to myself, the guilt of not taking the path that is glowing in front of me. Right now, I could just say "fuck it, why would I even want to learn the piano? It will be hard and frustrating, and it won't make a difference in my life! I won't even become that good." But I can't, I just can't, I see myself going to hell if I don't do it, in the sense that I couldn't live with not doing what I was supposed to do.

And it would be the same if I was extremely good-looking, I couldn't just be happier by what I'd automatically get out of it without much effort. Especially in that area, something that the lookism crowd has a hard time to understand is that of all the areas you could be gifted in, it's not even close to being one of those that will sustain you through life, that will give your life meaning.

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 5 months ago

I'd consider myself about a 6.5 or a 7, I'd take the money any day.

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » 5 months ago

JeanLucBB wrote:
5 months ago
I'd consider myself about a 6.5 or a 7, I'd take the money any day.
Being a 6.5 or an 8 is a huge difference.
Even from 7 to 8 you go from slightly above average to Chad territory.

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Admin wrote:
5 months ago
It's an argument I've heard from my best friend about France and especially Mbappé, he has the absolute talent so he can be a major dick, disregard fair play completely and you can even extend all those horrible traits to have to the whole team, what matters is that France won the World Cup.

The fact that my friend would even think up that argument with such ease is not surprising, it has partially something to do with with the fact that he's Muslim and Muslims around the world are used to being the losers unless they use the most unfair means imaginable. So of course he would say "well we won so I don't see the problem! It wouldn't have happened if people just submitted to our greatness and knew what was good for them!".

He's wrong though, everything matters, especially fairness, and France's title was not only forgotten in a matter of days, but they were mocked and held in contempt all over the world. And what did they do in the fact of that? They doubled down and called everyone (especially us Belgian) jelly bad losers who wish they had players like Mbappé.

I think people are right to hold people who squander their potential in contempt and to want them replaced with a kid who might have less raw talent but will push themselves to their limits and beyond while exhibiting virtues like fairness, kindness and humility. Somehow as I'm writing this, this scene from the movie Gattaca comes to mind:

But of course, those traits only matter if you think they matter, you say you'd just take the raw talent without making the most of it without feeling guilty, just for selfish reasons and to enjoy the fruits of those unearned benefits, and why not? It's something I can surely understand. Personally, I couldn't, I feel it even when it comes to myself, the guilt of not taking the path that is glowing in front of me. Right now, I could just say "fuck it, why would I even want to learn the piano? It will be hard and frustrating, and it won't make a difference in my life! I won't even become that good." But I can't, I just can't, I see myself going to hell if I don't do it, in the sense that I couldn't live with not doing what I was supposed to do.

And it would be the same if I was extremely good-looking, I couldn't just be happier by what I'd automatically get out of it without much effort. Especially in that area, something that the lookism crowd has a hard time to understand is that of all the areas you could be gifted in, it's not even close to being one of those that will sustain you through life, that will give your life meaning.
Well, here I agree, because fairness and style as well as manners definitely (all somewhat related to each other) matter to me. Having more raw talent would having all that make more of an actually affordable luxury that I sometimes not sure I myself can "afford".

Added in 3 minutes 33 seconds:
EvilLocks wrote:
5 months ago
Easy, the looks. But I'd rather be a 10 than an 8 though ;) People with extremely good looks are likely to profit off their looks anyway, become a model, actress/actor, marry someone rich etc. If you choose the money you just have the money :lol:
One of the guys is 50, so I can somehow understand and I certainly hope looks will matter at least slightly less to me too once I am that age. I doubt it though, and I suppose the guy in question would have gone for the million 15 years back already.
Oh, and I put "8" on purpose, you greedy woman. ;)

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Arjen wrote:
5 months ago
One of the guys is 50, so I can somehow understand and I certainly hope looks will matter at least slightly less to me too once I am that age. I doubt it though, and I suppose the guy in question would have gone for the million 15 years back already.
Oh, and I put "8" on purpose, you greedy woman. ;)
It's good that you're introducing age into the equation because it unveils one of the most precious commodities on this earth: time, especially time during your youth where you have the option of making much more of your potential.

It's certainly one of the most valuable variables for me. So much that I'm slowly organizing my life to gain a bit more of that free time, but not too much otherwise I know I would get lost and go full cheeto-eating couch potato. But for example, my last job contract allowed me to free one afternoon every week.

And boy will I cherish that extra free time, extra money wouldn't even be comparable to those 4 hours. It's no wonder that Groundhog Day is one of my favorite movies. I remember thinking "that lucky fucker! All that free time to gain knowledge and learn skills!".

So yeah, getting that 1 million when you're like 80 wouldn't provide as many benefits, and at that age, looks don't even make it into the equation.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 5 months ago

As I am I think I’d take the money

Up it to 9/10 and I’d take the looks

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

kj6723 wrote:
5 months ago
As I am I think I’d take the money

Up it to 9/10 and I’d take the looks
From an 8 to a 9 rather than 1 million dollars - that's about as remarkable a statement in favour of looks as it gets! :)

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 5 months ago

JasonStatham wrote:
5 months ago
Being a 6.5 or an 8 is a huge difference.
Even from 7 to 8 you go from slightly above average to Chad territory.
If you're a 6.5-7 at my age with a million dollars you can virtually get anyone you want unless you're a cucked retard that is flat out shit with girls. 8 might be a big difference in terms of looks, but who gives a shit if its slightly easier to fuck an 8-9, plenty of 8s and 9s willing to fuck or marry and settle with someone with a million in the bank, totally dumb not to take the mil. It would only be worth if you were at the 4-5 level where you had no chance with even average girls to begin with.