What are you guys like in real life compared to your forum personality?

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Johnt1997
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Propecia - 0.5mg/day
Minoxidil - 5 & 12.5%
Regenepure shampoo

What are you guys like in real life compared to your forum personality?

Post by Johnt1997 » 10 months ago

I was just thinking this the other day after reading the rather heated climate change debate.

I know people are generally not as afraid to be opinionated and have honest conversations when they're interacting via a keyboard. Personally, i like to avoid political discussions in real life unless i know someone well(or have had a few pints lol) I much prefer to talk about sport, music, weekend plans/stories, holidays, etc as these are far safer topics.

Many of you regulars are clearly extremely intelligent and strong in your opinions(to the point of being intimidating at times) and it has made me wonder what yous are like in real life. Do you's talk about the kind of things you discuss on here in real life? Is your real life personality as big as your forum one; your opinion so strongly expressed?

Would be interesting to gain some insight on this

*edit - not meaning intimidating in a negative sense by the way

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Re: What are you guys like in real life compared to your forum personality?

Post by pjhair » 10 months ago

My real life personality is not different at all from my forum personality. I have regularly engaged in the kind of discussions that I have here on politics, religion, hair loss, dating, etc with my co-workers, friends, relatives, acquaintances, etc. I used to have extensive public Facebook debates on politics and religion. However, I have been losing interest in Facebook and rarely participate in any discussion now a days.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 10 months ago

My personality isn't really that different from here. Same topics, same discussions.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 10 months ago

I'm a totally different person in real life than I am on these forums.
"Grandpa, fix my climate!"

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by That Guy » 10 months ago

blackg wrote:
10 months ago

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

3soytoys.jpg
3soytoys.jpg (192.95 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
Me and my friends are the epitome of Australian manhood.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by That Guy » 10 months ago

blackg wrote:
10 months ago

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » 10 months ago

blackg wrote:
10 months ago
3soytoys.jpg
Jesus Christ. Do they realise after Sharia they will kick out gays as well?

Uncle Grandfather
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: 5% Minoxidil, 1 mg Finasteride, Nizoral

Post by Uncle Grandfather » 10 months ago

blackg wrote:
10 months ago
Same here. I'm much less of a cynical asshole in real life.
Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 10 months ago

Good thread.

I'm sure most people I know would be very surprised to see my more attacking posts on here, actually people would probably be surprised to see I spend any time at all posting on a forum. Generally I kind of don't give a shit about stupid people saying stupid things, I just avoid them, but something about seeing it in print on a forum means that inevitably I feel I have to say something (and normally when it is happening repeatedly).

But close friends who know how cynical I am about people generally, they probably wouldn't be as surprised. Still surprised for sure but not as surprised as those who vaguely know me and just think "well he's a nice guy". I don't mean to get all Wolf Pack here and claim perceptions of myself that cannot be proven, but I have been told this repeatedly about being generally liked. That's not to say I haven't done things that make me seem like a dick, but overall it gets forgiven.

That being said about being a "nice guy", when it comes to it I can be very cutting and direct if someone wants to go at me like that. I think the general perception of "keyboard warriors" like myself is that I wouldn't say shit to someone's face or back down easily, well that's not remotely true. I think over time you get tested less, because the few times someone wants to test you, they find out what you're really like and that discourages others from trying to do the same, similar to physical fighting.

So overall, in real life I'm nothing like how I am on here, however if it comes to it, I can be. I just try to avoid it.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

I'm embarrassed to have not realized this on such elegantly succinct terms.

Baldingat20
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Propecia

Post by Baldingat20 » 10 months ago

Online I try to be a chad , constantly putting others down. In real life I’m neither incel or chad , rather just another soul in this strange strange world.

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Post by Arjen » 10 months ago

Hard to say, as it depends on how people who don't know me well perceive me. And since I can't ask them, I can only speculate - except for the few cases in which people later became close with me. And they'd say they are surprised by my self-awareness, as it apparently contrasts my everyday-appearance that indicates peace at mind and smoothness, when my overanalysis of certain dominant things in my life is anything but smooth.

Apart from that, I believe I'm more confrontational and direct in real life than online, as it's easier to assess situations and potential reactions by their or you own mimics, voice, you get a better sense of the vibe, their humour etc..

It would for sure be interesting to actually experience some people you read a lot from - for the exact reason you made this OP for. And also, of course, to assess their looks. :D

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Head & Shoulders caffeine shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 10 months ago

My core personality and beliefs remain constant but I'll of course adapt my way of interacting with other people according to the environment. Not that I would be much different than how I present myself on this forum (and on HairlossTalk from mid-2017 to my permanent ban) but there are doors that appear closed to me during a conversation which I believe should not be open, not by force anyway.

I'm saying this because I've just been "cornered" by a colleague who went full moral relativist, nihilist and postmodernist on me. It was not the first time but my main problem when it happens is that there are too many constraints due to the fact that it's happening during our lunch break, which cannot exceed 30 minutes and of course the professional context.

How did we get there? We were talking about where I should spend my honeymoon (yeah I'm engaged) my colleague says 'Lebanon'. I'm like "yeah no thanks :lol: " for obvious reasons, then my other colleague says "nah go directly to Gaza!" and at a point I add "well maybe not for my honeymoon but I'd really like to visit Israel".

From then on, the conversation quickly goes to "Israel is immoral, I'd never go there" to "how are Jews still be such crybabies about the holocaust?" to "I've heard that Jews live very good lives in Iran (!) so we shouldn't believe the propaganda. I had barely said a word, I was mainly listening but already ':shock:' in my head. Then of course I flipped it with my own point of view, without coming off as rude or too strong.

The usual rebuttal to the above which are reasonable in my opinion: the Jews have truly suffered massively and unjustly, they have a right to their own State and to run it based on their own values to "I don't believe that for one second" regarding that the Jews lived freely, happily and free of discrimination in Iran (still, !, and :shock: ).

Without much back and forth after that, one of my colleagues managed to place that morality was all relative anyway, that terrorism was not necessarily evil, just a point of view because we were the ones being attacked by it, that everything is a matter of interpretation and that any of those interpretations are valid.

I managed to place "so the meaning of Auschwitz is relative?", "a terrorist who murder a bunch of kids (I had the Manchester attack in mind) is not necessarily deeply evil, it's a matter of opinion?", to which he both replied 'yes!' with that absent/vitreous look on his face. Time ran out and we had to leave it at that, but boy I was pissed for like half an hour after that interaction, no way around it. I guess I still need to learn a lot when it comes to managing my emotions, reacting less and maybe develop better ways to counter those arguments both in form and content.

Edit: it took me writing this post and reading back my post to realize that my hypocritical moral relativist colleague started this whole discussion with "I'd never go to Israel because they're immoral", and then proceeded to say that morality was all relative only a few minutes later.

Anyway, I guess here it's not necessarily about having a different personality than on this forum, but more about real life constraints. I would give the exact same arguments without being aggressive on this website. When it comes to my personality, I think I've already said many times that I'm a very introverted person who hates confrontation (as you could see with the story above).

But if I deeply believe that I need to speak up in a certain situation (if someone tries to harass me or something unfair is happening), I will not hesitate to come after the perpetrator(s) and bury them, whether it's on the internet ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29 ) or in real life.

Other than that, I don't think my online persona differs much from my real life one. In the same way that girls I met through online dating told me that I look exactly like my picture, there was never a big gap between how we interacted online and offline, especially when it came to my sense of humor. I'm still curious of how it would be to meet one of you in real life, besides the constant scrutizing of our respective damaged heads of hair :p.

Johnt1997
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Regimen: Propecia - 0.5mg/day
Minoxidil - 5 & 12.5%
Regenepure shampoo

Post by Johnt1997 » 10 months ago

Admin wrote:
10 months ago
My core personality and beliefs remain constant but I'll of course adapt my way of interacting with other people according to the environment. Not that I would be much different than how I present myself on this forum (and on HairlossTalk from mid-2017 to my permanent ban) but there are doors that appear closed to me during a conversation which I believe should not be open, not by force anyway.

I'm saying this because I've just been "cornered" by a colleague who went full moral relativist, nihilist and postmodernist on me. It was not the first time but my main problem when it happens is that there are too many constraints due to the fact that it's happening during our lunch break, which cannot exceed 30 minutes and of course the professional context.

How did we get there? We were talking about where I should spend my honeymoon (yeah I'm engaged) my colleague says 'Lebanon'. I'm like "yeah no thanks :lol: " for obvious reasons, then my other colleague says "nah go directly to Gaza!" and at a point I add "well maybe not for my honeymoon but I'd really like to visit Israel".

From then on, the conversation quickly goes to "Israel is immoral, I'd never go there" to "how are Jews still be such crybabies about the holocaust?" to "I've heard that Jews live very good lives in Iran (!) so we shouldn't believe the propaganda. I had barely said a word, I was mainly listening but already ':shock:' in my head. Then of course I flipped it with my own point of view, without coming off as rude or too strong.

The usual rebuttal to the above which are reasonable in my opinion: the Jews have truly suffered massively and unjustly, they have a right to their own State and to run it based on their own values to "I don't believe that for one second" regarding that the Jews lived freely, happily and free of discrimination in Iran (still, !, and :shock: ).

Without much back and forth after that, one of my colleagues managed to place that morality was all relative anyway, that terrorism was not necessarily evil, just a point of view because we were the ones being attacked by it, that everything is a matter of interpretation and that any of those interpretations are valid.

I managed to place "so the meaning of Auschwitz is relative?", "a terrorist who murder a bunch of kids (I had the Manchester attack in mind) is not necessarily deeply evil, it's a matter of opinion?", to which he both replied 'yes!' with that absent/vitreous look on his face. Time ran out and we had to leave it at that, but boy I was pissed for like half an hour after that interaction, no way around it. I guess I still need to learn a lot when it comes to managing my emotions, reacting less and maybe develop better ways to counter those arguments both in form and content.

Edit: it took me writing this post and reading back my post to realize that my hypocritical moral relativist colleague started this whole discussion with "I'd never go to Israel because they're immoral", and then proceeded to say that morality was all relative only a few minutes later.

Anyway, I guess here it's not necessarily about having a different personality than on this forum, but more about real life constraints. I would give the exact same arguments without being aggressive on this website. When it comes to my personality, I think I've already said many times that I'm a very introverted person who hates confrontation (as you could see with the story above).

But if I deeply believe that I need to speak up in a certain situation (if someone tries to harass me or something unfair is happening), I will not hesitate to come after the perpetrator(s) and bury them, whether it's on the internet ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29 ) or in real life.

Other than that, I don't think my online persona differs much from my real life one. In the same way that girls I met through online dating told me that I look exactly like my picture, there was never a big gap between how we interacted online and offline, especially when it came to my sense of humor. I'm still curious of how it would be to meet one of you in real life, besides the constant scrutizing of our respective damaged heads of hair :p.
Dude that is some intense conversation for a lunch break haha, also how the hell did the conversation flip from talking about honeymoons to the israel/Palestine question haha 😉

That guy sounds like an idiot...terrorism is not right; regardless of anyone's political persuasions. I know someone's personal opinion shouldn't be put down but some people's are just wrong.

This is partly why i hate discussing politics, religion, etc with people i don't know well. Some people can get quite aggressive in making their point to you and i can't be bothered with the confrontation

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Johnt1997 wrote:
10 months ago
Dude that is some intense conversation for a lunch break haha, also how the hell did the conversation flip from talking about honeymoons to the israel/Palestine question haha 😉
Because it's a made up conversation.