Africans have never built a major enduring city in 3000 years

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Africans have never built a major enduring city in 3000 years

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 6 months ago

Admin wrote:
6 months ago
Well, I do actually need this shit :p. It may not appear obvious but, why do I need that PS4, or why do I watch movies and TV shows? For the stories, for the wealth, and the wisdom that are contained in it. At the most basic level, I need to have access to those stories. I commute for 1 hour every day and my Galaxy S8 allows me to watch high-definition movies thanks to its processing power and its big screen.

So to reiterate, personally, I need this, I truly wither on the vine when I don't have regular access to video games, movies (again, for the story, music, beautiful visuals, etc.) or music. This is just me though, my personality requires me to have those, while other people couldn't give two shits about those but would need to go out regularly to satisfy their extroversion.

I just busted an open door by saying that "we're all different" (and therefore unequal ;) ;) Afro_Vacancy) but I know it's something that's hard to get, many times in my life I have thought that other people were stupid because they were different from me, and if they knew what was good for them, well they'd adopt my tastes and lifestyle too!

The happiness that stories and music bring me is certainly not short-lived, I don't know if other people can relate to that feeling here, but I just love to immerse myself in the music of a great JRPG I played years ago, it's hard to explain but to me it brings everything together when I do that, I feel like I'm in a safe place, it's not "just" (I hate it when people say that, "just" a game, "just" whatever", etc.) a fantasy world to escape reality or something. You don't necessarily have to separate the two so categorically.

Take away my movies, video games, music etc. and I will sink into depression in no time. And I don't think the devices I have are just another material object I don't care about anymore. Regularly, I try to remind myself of how much of a lucky bastard I am to live in this era, to have this Galaxy S8, this PS4, this laptop, etc. And even if I didn't, if I was born in 1800, I would probably have been a book rat, and I would have gone to the theater all the time.

PS: damn, this always ends up happening, the thread with the weirdest (or most uncomfortable) name ends up being a repository of the most interesting conversations :p. I thought about splitting it but it seems to go on and off tracks over and over again. Ah well...
You can't actually function without downtime. I don't know if you need the PS4 specifically, but you do need something. If you tried to go without downtime, for example if you had an immature 19 year-old's theory of self whereby you believed that you should just work "all of the time" in order to be more productive, you would actually end up being less efficient and less productive, and you'd eventually end up wasting even more time and more money on downtime. Balance is a prerequisite for being a healthy human being, and it does seem that you have it.

Large organizations are similar. If they try and have "zero waste", they end up expending a lot more resources and forfeiting a lot more production than if they simply tolerated a modest level of waste.

Added in 56 seconds:
Admin wrote:
6 months ago
Where there is life, there is hope.

Except if you're a NW7 with a thin donor.
But I read on the internet that homeless people always have hair.

So it's better to discard your cell phone and drop out of civilization -- it is a means to regrow your hair.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 6 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
6 months ago
Balance is a prerequisite for being a healthy human being, and it does seem that you have it.
It's really key, I've come to understand that missing one piece can throw everything out of balance, and you'll feel it in the long run. I think it was partly the reason (on top of my job being on the line) I was more depressed than usual three months ago, I was missing a piece, and that piece was making/learning music, a creative outlet (I have this forum but it wasn't enough apparently).

It's another type of downtime here, where I'm active, while when I consume entertainment, it's more passive. Despite my 36 hour work week, I cannot just get home, tell myself that my duty is done and I can now become a potato couch on the rest of my free time. My job is not my whole life, and shouldn't be. I need to be creative in some shape or form, so there is this website for example, and I've recently switched from the guitar to the piano. If I remove that, I'll start feeling worse overall, like I'm not doing something I'm supposed to be doing.

The first quantum leap I've experienced with my mood in general was when I started lifting weights, more or less at the same time I decided to become exlusive with my fiancée. Only those two together provided huge benefits for my mental health, and then everything fell into place, also thanks to the help of Jordan Peterson and Jonathan Pageau: my love life, my job, my health habits, my hobbies, spirituality etc. The transition was so natural (but not without resistance) that I'm still baffled by it, to the point I see my old thought patterns and habits as being stuck in hell now.

Hell, yeah, here comes the religious language because that's something else I've found at the end of my journey: the importance of religion, especially since I started attending church again and joining a Christian community to prepare my marriage. Anyway, all this to say that you need balance, you need to realize what matters (for you) and walk that path to become better, once you get further in the journey, you'll realize how beside the point and trivial the things you thought you wanted were. I hope that makes sense.

Oh and by the way, not having hair would of course also throw all the above out of balance for me, and all of us on this forum (except @Arjen I guess :p).

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Admin wrote:
6 months ago
It's really key, I've come to understand that missing one piece can throw everything out of balance, and you'll feel it in the long run. I think it was partly the reason (on top of my job being on the line) I was more depressed than usual three months ago, I was missing a piece, and that piece was making/learning music, a creative outlet (I have this forum but it wasn't enough apparently).

It's another type of downtime here, where I'm active, while when I consume entertainment, it's more passive. Despite my 36 hour work week, I cannot just get home, tell myself that my duty is done and I can now become a potato couch on the rest of my free time. My job is not my whole life, and shouldn't be. I need to be creative in some shape or form, so there is this website for example, and I've recently switched from the guitar to the piano. If I remove that, I'll start feeling worse overall, like I'm not doing something I'm supposed to be doing.

The first quantum leap I've experienced with my mood in general was when I started lifting weights, more or less at the same time I decided to become exlusive with my fiancée. Only those two together provided huge benefits for my mental health, and then everything fell into place, also thanks to the help of Jordan Peterson and Jonathan Pageau: my love life, my job, my health habits, my hobbies, spirituality etc. The transition was so natural (but not without resistance) that I'm still baffled by it, to the point I see my old thought patterns and habits as being stuck in hell now.

Hell, yeah, here comes the religious language because that's something else I've found at the end of my journey: the importance of religion, especially since I started attending church again and joining a Christian community to prepare my marriage. Anyway, all this to say that you need balance, you need to realize what matters (for you) and walk that path to become better, once you get further in the journey, you'll realize how beside the point and trivial the things you thought you wanted were. I hope that makes sense.

Oh and by the way, not having hair would of course also throw all the above out of balance for me, and all of us on this forum (except @Arjen I guess :p).
I didn't know that you were engaged -- congratulations!

Will it be a Catholic or Protestant wedding?

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
6 months ago
I didn't know that you were engaged -- congratulations!

Will it be a Catholic or Protestant wedding?
Thank you! :)

Catholic.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Admin wrote:
6 months ago
Thank you! :)

Catholic.
That was a weird typo.

I meant to write "Congratulations !"

Not:

"Congratulations?"

LOL, I'm distracted.

Added in 16 minutes 43 seconds:
@Admin , how big of a wedding do you plan to have?

10 guests? 50? 250?

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
6 months ago
That was a weird typo.

I meant to write "Congratulations !"

Not:

"Congratulations?"

LOL, I'm distracted.

Added in 16 minutes 43 seconds:
@Admin , how big of a wedding do you plan to have?

10 guests? 50? 250?
Fixed ;).

Around 100, but that's just for the church and the party.

We'll have around 40 for the dinner, we can't afford to invite everyone for that part.

Man this takes a lot of preparation, and money :p.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Admin wrote:
6 months ago
Fixed ;).

Around 100, but that's just for the church and the party.

We'll have around 40 for the dinner, we can't afford to invite everyone for that part.

Man this takes a lot of preparation, and money :p.
You really don't "need" to have a wedding. This is a good example of a smart white person overthinking things. All you need is to go to community court and sign some documents. That's what some people did back in the day and some of them had kids that survived to adulthood.

;-)

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
6 months ago
You really don't "need" to have a wedding. This is a good example of a smart white person overthinking things. All you need is to go to community court and sign some documents. That's what some people did back in the day and some of them had kids that survived to adulthood.

;-)
Well my best friend will also have to get married, and he's brown and Muslim. And guess what, he's also "overthinking" things, it has nothing to do with skin color or religion, just recognizing the importance and the meaning of one of the most important event of our lives, before the State (that's going to be done quickly earlier in the week)

and before God.

;)

Life is not just about surviving, Afro, it's about living the best life you can. That's what all of us are doing, that involves all kinds of things that we supposedly would not need from a rational perspective. But rationality isn't everything, and thank God for that.

My fiancée and I have seen a friend of mine get that legal cohabitation document from the community court and post it on Facebook as if it was meaningful and important, and many of their friends thought the same since they got around 100 likes for it. We've had that since we started living together 6 months ago and we're like "meh, who cares?".

Signing some documents will never replace a proper traditional wedding.

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Post by Arjen » 6 months ago

Admin wrote:
6 months ago
I've said this before but the best fictional illustration I can think of the point I'm trying to make can be found in this Black Mirror episode:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4538072/

You will still dream about being a male model, right @Arjen? :p
Having watched the episode, my main take-away is: of course the attractive Kelly has everybody fall in love with her; her loving and loved husband, that random guy, Yorkie. And true love - at one point wonderfully described by Kelly - can develop from this initial attraction. This is exactly why I deem it so valuable to have the looks to generate said attraction. This is a very simple take (that does not contradict yours, if I understood it correctly) that goes to reflect my mindset - or should I say, corset?

CaptainForehead
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: Avoid mirrors and other reflective surfaces

Post by CaptainForehead » 6 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
6 months ago
The bare minimum is being homeless. At that point you don't actually have a cell phone, but at least you have a pulse, right?

However, if you actually want to be a member of civilization in 2019, you need a cell phone. Most employers won't hire you if you don't have a phone number -- I understood this in 2001. Even when I was a teenager applying for jobs scooping ice cream or mopping floors, the manager would ask me for a phone number. That meant a cell phone, where I could be reached at anytime. Meanwhile, most communication nowadays takes place over some combination of facebook, twitter, WhatsApp, text, email, Slack, and Skype. For whatever it's worth, the lowest rate around here is $55/month. I probably spend over $1000 on Ubers last year, but that's actually a savings, as it would have been $2000 (and a lot of time lost) if I had spent that money on taxis. Most dating apps also only work on cell phones.

Are you one of those people who spends $20 on clothes a year, who doesn't own a car, who buys one toothbrush a year, and who only eats canned tuna, peanut butter, and white rice? Congratulations on saving money, but you're not actually part of civilization.
I was not questioning whether one needs a cellphone, I was asking about the service level. If the bare minimum is having a cellphone+number+some minutes to be reachable, then you can definitely beat your cost estimate. Last year I spent under $100 total on buying a cellphone+minutes. Look up Tracfone and related prepaid services (for price, search at QVC/HSN). If you need a higher level of service, look up GoogleFi. They were recently selling quite decent cellphones for $100, with $20 service cost/month + $10/1GB data.

Why are you spending $1000+ on Uber if you already have a car'?

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » 6 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
6 months ago

;-)

All I hear are excuses :).

Some people act and some people wait for the perfect time. It's the same with a lot of stuff in life.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

JasonStatham wrote:
6 months ago
All I hear are excuses :).
And where are your six kids?
JasonStatham wrote:
6 months ago
Some people act
Agreed, lots of people end up failing catastrophically due to poor planning.

Added in 10 minutes 37 seconds:
CaptainForehead wrote:
6 months ago
I was not questioning whether one needs a cellphone, I was asking about the service level. If the bare minimum is having a cellphone+number+some minutes to be reachable, then you can definitely beat your cost estimate. Last year I spent under $100 total on buying a cellphone+minutes. Look up Tracfone and related prepaid services (for price, search at QVC/HSN). If you need a higher level of service, look up GoogleFi. They were recently selling quite decent cellphones for $100, with $20 service cost/month + $10/1GB data.

Why are you spending $1000+ on Uber if you already have a car'?
Good example of false conservative financial advice.

First, at $10/gig, GoogleFi actually costs more. My $55/month plan includes 5 or 8 Gigs, I forget.

Second, you're not actually saving money if you disassociate from society. Capitalism is a system of social relations. You need to integrate. Being a hermit is not a viable option for most people.

Cabs or Uber or Lyft are necessary for when the car is not available. For example, if you have a flight. A flight requires not one, not two, but four cab rides. To and from the airport, and then to and from the airport again. That goes up if you have multiple stops. Unless you don't value your own time. Then you can just spend an extra hour or two taking public transit to the airport. It is also necessary if you're going out drinking with friends, if you're travelling internationally, or if you left your car at the shop, etc. For example I didn't rent a car when I was in South America, I just walked and paid ~$20/day on Ubers.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 6 months ago

Admin wrote:
6 months ago

This is a good post I'm glad I read, as it's hitting home to how I've been feeling about certain things this week. I've been thinking about how ridiculous it maybe is how much I exercise and how much it is kind of taking away from other parts of my life, as at 6 days a week it not only consumes the time's I'm working out but also leaves me with little energy for other extracurricular's. Like between working full time and my workouts, all else I have energy for is netflix :lol: :lol: , which is pretty sad. It's kind of silly to be working out his much when you're not a professional athlete. This week I'm going to plan to cut down to 4x a week and hope that it gives me energy and time for some other things I have in my mind I'd like to accomplish

CaptainForehead
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: Avoid mirrors and other reflective surfaces

Post by CaptainForehead » 6 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
6 months ago
Good example of false conservative financial advice.

First, at $10/gig, GoogleFi actually costs more. My $55/month plan includes 5 or 8 Gigs, I forget.

My post wasn't arguing whether these other service providers would be more economical for you, but rather whether there are other less expensive alternatives for a cell phone provider (while functioning in a society). The bare minimum in your original post. 5Gigs data per month is not a bare minimum, it is a luxury. You are overstating the bare minimum costs by at least a factor of 2
Afro_Vacancy wrote:
6 months ago
Second, you're not actually saving money if you disassociate from society. Capitalism is a system of social relations. You need to integrate. Being a hermit is not a viable option for most people.
Who the fuck is recommending you disassociate from society?

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by That Guy » 6 months ago

"Guys, cool it with the anti-semitism"

*several pages later*

Arguing with the Jewish guy about money.