Political compass test

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.

Re: Political compass test

Post by Admin » 2 months ago

Admin wrote:
1 year ago
We also have elections in Belgium this October and even though we already have a right-wing (and even far-right in some aspects) government, the country is about to move even further to the right.
You're right Admin! How were you able to predict the future?!

https://www.euractiv.com/section/eu-ele ... nt-crisis/

I was re-reading this thread because of this video of Tommy Robinson taking the political compass test:

Pretty enlightening.
"Along the way some boys started making fun of him by shouting, “Go away, baldy! Get out of here!” Elisha turned around and stared at the boys. Then he cursed them in the name of the Lord. At once two bears ran out of the woods and ripped to pieces 42 of the boys." - 2 Kings 23-24

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 2 months ago

Admin wrote:
2 months ago
Pretty enlightening.
I didn't watch every second of it, but I think the gist is that we are mislabelling many people who are very anti-immigration or illegal immigration (etc, whatever their issue of strong interest or concern is) as right/far right, when actually they are centrist or even on the left. However I'd say this is a failure of the test design to account for people who will vote based on and advocate for only one or two issues. If someone likes most types of meat more than most vegetables, but in reality only eats lettuce, then that person is a vegetarian.

Johnson
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by Johnson » 2 months ago

I've just got centre-left libertarian. No surprises there.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 2 months ago

Admin wrote:
2 months ago
You're right Admin! How were you able to predict the future?!

https://www.euractiv.com/section/eu-ele ... nt-crisis/

I was re-reading this thread because of this video of Tommy Robinson taking the political compass test:

Pretty enlightening.
I love the comments on Far Right Centrist Tommy Robinson
yettee wrote:
2 months ago
I didn't watch every second of it, but I think the gist is that we are mislabelling many people who are very anti-immigration or illegal immigration (etc, whatever their issue of strong interest or concern is) as right/far right, when actually they are centrist or even on the left. However I'd say this is a failure of the test design to account for people who will vote based on and advocate for only one or two issues. If someone likes most types of meat more than most vegetables, but in reality only eats lettuce, then that person is a vegetarian.
Someone who is anti-immigration or even illegal immigration cannot be centrist? Or even apolitical, as Tommy Robinson certainly is.
Johnson wrote:
2 months ago
I've just got centre-left libertarian. No surprises there.
Not to patronise but I'm surprised you finished it, did your mommy help you?
me me me me I'm the omniscient and compassionate Rudiger

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Rudiger wrote:
2 months ago
Someone who is anti-immigration or even illegal immigration cannot be centrist? Or even apolitical, as Tommy Robinson certainly is.
No sir, of course a person who is anti-immigration can be centrist. But the question is, how much do you care about the issue? How much weight do you give it, how big a factor is it in determining how you'll vote/how you'll advocate for other people to vote?

Let's say A, B, C, D and E are left wing positions, and E, F, G, H and I are right wing positions. A person agrees with A, B, C, D, E, and H. The political compass test will show that this person is on the left. However, let's say this person only really gives a shit about H, and thus will vote on the right every time and also advocate for people to vote right. Well, I'd say the person's on the right, as that's the side that will deliver what's actually most important to him. And vice-versa. The political compass test doesn't account for a situation in a which a person gives enormous weight to one or two issues, and cares far less about most others.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

yettee wrote:
2 months ago
Well, I'd say the person's on the right, as that's the side that will deliver what's actually most important to him.
It's not a test that decides which political parties a person will "side" with, but an overall basis of where they stand ideologically, and that shouldn't be weighted on their political activism, as their political activism is merely a reflection or rebellion against the environment they find themselves in. If a person focusses on a single issue then it doesn't change where they stand overall, even the political party they are supposedly aligned with forever could be radically different to their views in 20 years time.

That's the whole point of the test, Tommy Robinson would not be deemed "right" or "far right" by people sticking him in boxes because he is in an environment where he feels he has to react to a threat against his nation and community, otherwise he would be centrist. Being anti-immigration wouldn't enter his head as it's not a threat, and shouldn't be a threat. I think you've got this all wrong if you think a test which is designed in theory to last universally (whether or not you agree with the tests accuracy itself) is how someone will vote in an actual election next week, as political parties actual policies can change in a moment's notice (I'd say this about Conservatives and Democrats, and Tories and Labour). So a person voting what you deem "Right" now could have been "Left" only 12 years ago (I mean that literally as well, in particular with anti-immigration or border control).

Yes, you may say that a person who only cares about "H" is identified solely by that one personal opinion that you feel defines their character, but you have no idea how A B C D E also makes up who they are, as long as H is in there, that's all that matters. The other letters may be irrelevant because they don't affect that person's livelihood, but H? Must be defined by that. Even if H affects them solely, and they see how H is ruining their country in many ways. Do you not think that if H wasn't an issue, they wouldn't need to be defined like that? Because if it wasn't an issue, they'd be centrist.

That's the point.

And I appreciate that you're always polite in explaining political differences but pseudo intellectual analogies really irk me, I understood the lettuce without the letters round. To me these deliberately elaborate "if x = y then surely why doesn't y = x?" escapades normally mask one dimensional thought, in the hopes of either confusing the opinions of others, or at least feeling like you can talk down to them.

If Train X6 leaves Station 4;z at 26:87 hours ESTp, travelling at a speed of ABmph, when Train &6 arrives at the same Station (+), is Train 6X a Nazi?

Most importantly:
yettee wrote:
2 months ago
Let's say A, B, C, D and E are left wing positions, and E, F, G, H and I are right wing positions.
Are you? Nazi.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 2 months ago

I've always considered myself a leftist, even far left on some positions.
This is why I'm against immigration from backwards, conservative, highly religious and patriarchal societies.

We have advanced so far as Western nations, let's not regress under some misguided sense of morality.
For the love of South Western skies.

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Rudiger wrote:
2 months ago
And I appreciate that you're always polite in explaining political differences but pseudo intellectual analogies really irk me, I understood the lettuce without the letters round.
? Amazing how some get weird and personal so quickly. So I'll do the same, barely - to me there's nothing more "psuedo-intellectual" than to call someone else "psuedo-intellectual", it's weak and something people say when they're 15 years old and get flustered and want to insult the other kid. Sorry.

I'll cut through the analogies, OK? For me, if you vote right and advocate right, you're on the the right, and if you vote left and advocate left, you're on the left. Where a person stands ideologically is determined, for me, by considering what's most important to a person, not the 99 other things that are relatively unimportant. I would apply that to myself, too - the test shows I'm close to the center, but because I'd never vote right due to a couple of issues I feel very strongly about, I think I'm further to the left than the test indicates. Whatever, you disagree. Cool.
Last edited by yettee 2 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 2 months ago

yettee wrote:
2 months ago
Amazing how some get weird and personal so quickly.
It speaks volumes.
For the love of South Western skies.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

yettee wrote:
2 months ago
? Amazing how some get weird and personal so quickly. So I'll do the same, barely - to me there's nothing more "psuedo-intellectual" than to call someone else "psuedo-intellectual", it's weak and something people say when they're 15 years old and get flustered and want to insult the other kid. Sorry.
That's just abolishing the term itself, you didn't explain why it was un-necessary, just that it's always un-necessary, in any circumstance, because you didn't address any reason as to why it wasn't necessary. On top of that you're calling me the same weak inexcusable insult that I called you? So are we both now flustered 15 year old kids?
yettee wrote:
2 months ago
I'll cut through the analogies, OK? For me, if you vote right and advocate right, you're on the the right, and if you vote left and advocate left, you're on the left. Where a person stands ideologically is determined, for me, by considering what's most important to a person, not the 99 other things that are relatively unimportant. Whatever, you disagree. Cool.
But the Bold part is where we actually agree, and where you contradict yourself, in the very previous sentence you just wrote before that.

The Political Compass isn't about where people vote on what appears to be party political lines, it's where a person stands morally, or "what's most important to a person".

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Rudiger wrote:
2 months ago
That's just abolishing the term itself, you didn't explain why it was un-necessary, just that it's always un-necessary, in any circumstance, because you didn't address any reason as to why it wasn't necessary. On top of that you're calling me the same weak inexcusable insult that I called you? So are we both now flustered 15 year old kids?
I'm saying that a person throwing out the childish insult should look in the mirror.

Rudiger wrote:
2 months ago
But the Bold part is where we actually agree, and where you contradict yourself, in the very previous sentence you just wrote before that.
The Political Compass isn't about where people vote on what appears to be party political lines, it's where a person stands morally, or "what's most important to a person".
I don't think the test measures what's most important to a person. It averages out his views on a bunch of questions. For some people, most of those questions are pretty irrelevant as compared to his feeling about one or two core issues.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

yettee wrote:
2 months ago
I'm saying that a person throwing out the childish insult should look in the mirror.
I don't feel "pseudo intellectual" is a childish insult I felt that is how you were deliberately behaving to talk down to me about something you could have easily explained in simple words.

However you do feel the term is childish and have expressed this, but yet in the same instance you called me the same thing, which makes no sense, if it's such a low brow insult then why accuse someone else of the exact same term being used childishly?
yettee wrote:
2 months ago
I don't think the test measures what's most important to a person. It averages out his views on a bunch of questions. For some people, most of those questions are pretty irrelevant as compared to his feeling about one or two core issues.
I already explained this and instead of actually addressing that, you have picked up on the smallest semblance of an insult (pseudo intellectual?! :o ) to avoid my point, the test is about ideology, not a persons strong reaction to their environment that makes some or one of their particular ideologies stand out amongst others. I'll say it again- if mass immigration, both legal and non-legal, wasn't a major issue for a person, then they wouldn't be known for rebelling against it, and they would be centrist.

A persons environment and their reactionary attitude to changing it (in their eyes for a better environment) does not change who they are ideologically.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 months ago

yettee wrote:
2 months ago

It's a very good point that the political compass is an improperly weighted average. I'm embarrassed to have not realized this on such elegantly succinct terms.

The related issue that I did think of is that the selection and phrasing of the questions is arbitrary.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

"I do still post to criticise others" - Rudiger.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 months ago
It's a very good point that the political compass is an improperly weighted average. I'm embarrassed to have not realized this on such elegantly succinct terms.

The related issue that I did think of is that the selection and phrasing of the questions is arbitrary.
So have you got alerts, on your phone, to steal in with your good guy saviour point on a post you probably saw hours ago, after I've had an argument with someone?

Yettee made the exact same point further up this page, before I replied to him, and you Liked it, but now is of course the opportune moment to reply and express yourself properly.

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Rudiger wrote:
2 months ago
I don't feel "pseudo intellectual" is a childish insult I felt that is how you were deliberately behaving to talk down to me about something you could have easily explained in simple words.
Just to address this, in no way did I use an analogy to talk down to you or anyone else. For me, at least, an analogy can be a way to say what I want to say as clearly - in as simple words, as you put it above - as I can. So if anything it reveals a lack of confidence on the part of the person trying to make a point that he can make himself understood without using it, rather than an insult to the listener that he needs it for some reason.

And I think it's kind of obvious... why is using an analogy taken as a personal insult, like someone is being condescending? It's just a freakin analogy, yo. I don't think any of us would bother arguing about politics or anything else with people who we didn't respect intellectually.