Climate change and what we should do about it

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 9 months ago

I'll admit that I'm not that educated on climate change at all, but something I find odd is that there has been at least 5 ice ages throughout Earth's history, so why is it so alarming this time that the ice is melting away? If ice ages naturally occur for whatever reason anyway, how can we know that the changes are man-made?
That said, I believe in humans being to blame for many species dying out, because we don't hunt in a sustainable way, trash ends up in the ocean etc. All of this naturally must have some kind of impact on the overall dynamics between species on Earth.
I don't know however if I believe in manmade "doomsday" or whatever beliefs they're trying to push on us. I know for a fact that doomsday will come at one point, but that'll happen anyway, whether humans are here or not.

Guest-4
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Guest-4 » 9 months ago

EvilLocks wrote: 9 months ago I'll admit that I'm not that educated on climate change at all, but something I find odd is that there has been at least 5 ice ages throughout Earth's history, so why is it so alarming this time that the ice is melting away? If ice ages naturally occur for whatever reason anyway, how can we know that the changes are man-made?
That said, I believe in humans being to blame for many species dying out, because we don't hunt in a sustainable way, trash ends up in the ocean etc. All of this naturally must have some kind of impact on the overall dynamics between species on Earth.
I don't know however if I believe in manmade "doomsday" or whatever beliefs they're trying to push on us. I know for a fact that doomsday will come at one point, but that'll happen anyway, whether humans are here or not.
The primary cause of past ice ages is well understood. Over time, the gravity of Jupiter and Saturn distort the Earth's orbit causing the planet to sometimes be a bit close or a bit further from the Sun. That can be modelled very well with fast computers. It's just gravity.

There's an amplifier which is a bit harder to model. When the Arctic ocean melts, it shifts from being an ice sheet to being an ocean. As an ice sheet, it reflects the Sun's light into space. As an ocean, it absorbs the Sun's light. That increases natural climate swings in a way that is more difficult to precisely quantify.

The recent warming is independent of the first effect, and everybody should hope that the second effect does not kick in. Carbon dioxide heats the Earth by absorbing infrared light. It blocks the Earth's heat from escaping. It's the same reason that the temperature of your skin will be higher if you wear a sweater.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 9 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote: 9 months ago The primary cause of past ice ages is well understood. Over time, the gravity of Jupiter and Saturn distort the Earth's orbit causing the planet to sometimes be a bit close or a bit further from the Sun. That can be modelled very well with fast computers. It's just gravity.

There's an amplifier which is a bit harder to model. When the Arctic ocean melts, it shifts from being an ice sheet to being an ocean. As an ice sheet, it reflects the Sun's light into space. As an ocean, it absorbs the Sun's light. That increases natural climate swings in a way that is more difficult to precisely quantify.

The recent warming is independent of the first effect, and everybody should hope that the second effect does not kick in. Carbon dioxide heats the Earth by absorbing infrared light. It blocks the Earth's heat from escaping. It's the same reason that the temperature of your skin will be higher if you wear a sweater.
Wow thanks, well explained! 😄 So I've learned something today ☺

Admin
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, hope.

Post by Admin » 9 months ago

:christian-cross: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Norwood: NW3.5
Regimen: Alcohol coping mechanism

Post by blackg » 9 months ago

I support Greta in her teen-life crisis.
Roe v. Wade has got to stay

Guest-4
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Guest-4 » 2 weeks ago

Some news on this year's round of terrible fires wiping out California and elsewhere. We have thus far failed to prevent anthropogenically-induced climate change, and things are likely to get substantially worse from here.

https://heated.world/p/fire-fire-everyw ... ource=copy

Here is San Francisco right now, it looks like Blade Runner 2049:

Note: One of the fires was caused by idiots starting a fire for a "gender reveal" party.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Norwood: NW3.5
Regimen: Alcohol coping mechanism

Post by blackg » 2 weeks ago

Guest-4 wrote: 2 weeks ago Some news on this year's round of terrible fires wiping out California and elsewhere. We have thus far failed to prevent anthropogenically-induced climate change, and things are likely to get substantially worse from here.

Note: One of the fires was caused by idiots starting a fire for a "gender reveal" party.
Afro, what is the bridge depicted in the first picture? The one with fire blazing on the opposite bank. I know it's not the Golden Gate nor the Bay Bridge; the bridge that heads to Oakland.

I can't seen to find an answer online as I think news sites are just happy to go with the image alone; possibly fooling an international audience into thinking it's actually the Golden Gate.
Roe v. Wade has got to stay

Guest-4
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

blackg wrote: 2 weeks ago Afro, what is the bridge depicted in the first picture? The one with fire blazing on the opposite bank. I know it's not the Golden Gate nor the Bay Bridge; the bridge that heads to Oakland.

I can't seen to find an answer online as I think news sites are just happy to go with the image alone; possibly fooling an international audience into thinking it's actually the Golden Gate.
It's in the included link :-)

It's the Bildwell Bar Bridge near Oroville California, about 250 km northeast of San Francisco.

Added in 19 hours 29 minutes 13 seconds:
https://apnews.com/8e4e0818146a72c713de625e902f9962

It's only going to get worse from here :-(.

JLBB
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 2 weeks ago

Guest-4 wrote: 2 weeks ago Some news on this year's round of terrible fires wiping out California and elsewhere. We have thus far failed to prevent anthropogenically-induced climate change, and things are likely to get substantially worse from here.

I'm glad we have Afro the (pseudo) intellectual to disingenuously imply that wildfires are an explicit example of "anthropogenically-induced climate change" on this forum.

Is rampant, politicised dishonesty and misrepresentation in regards to every single opinion you hold also caused by anthropogenic climate change?

"The Impact of Climate Change on Mental Health: A Systematic Descriptive Review"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7068211/

We have non-partisan, clearly not political at all in any shape or form studies like this in regards to climate change, I think its fair to assume that a possible symptom of "anthropologically induced climate change" is being a disingenuous cunt. Maybe That Guy was wrong and it had nothing to do with being Jewish at all, your outlook and dishonesty was merely a symptom of climate change all along.

Guest-4
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

JLBB wrote: 2 weeks ago [Redacted]
The reality is that global warming increases the risk and extent of wildfires. But hey, ignore reality all you want, you're good at that.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/factcheck-h ... -wildfires

And please provide more links to psych papers that you couldn't understand to save your life.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg topical, topical Progesterone 2% (topical only, Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 2 weeks ago

My sister in law is in the danger zone, in California. They can't even breath the air around them, there
are so many tornadoes. In fact, there are fire tornadoes. It's death to breath.

California is a very Democratic state. That might be why Trump refuses to help them.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... ornia-fire