IoHL Community Coffee Shop

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Re: IoHL Community Coffee Shop

Post by blackg » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:45 am

I have Indian guilt.
I acknowledge the traditional owners of Australia and North America. Fred, go home!

Uncle Grandfather
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: 5% Minoxidil, 1 mg Finasteride, Nizoral

Post by Uncle Grandfather » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:55 am

JasonStatham wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:42 pm
manlet?
Yep, 5'8/174 cm. But I'm not the only manlet at my office, though.
Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:11 am

Uncle Grandfather wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:55 am
Yep, 5'8/174 cm. But I'm not the only manlet at my office, though.
174 isn't bad. For me manlet is a guy that is 170cm and under. For a woman, it's every guy that isn't taller than her with heels on.

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:48 am

Men can always wear heels.
I acknowledge the traditional owners of Australia and North America. Fred, go home!

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:20 am

Career stress ...

I had a lot of data from a while back, beautiful data, that I finally had time to start thinking about this week. It doesn't come in a natural format, it needs to be compiled, etc. At first, I interpreted it incorrectly, and I started having panic attacks. I worried that I must have fucked up, and I imagined various other people that I've met chastising me for it, for being wasteful and incompetent, for being so sloppy that I couldn't even prepare for my best idea ... I just couldn't function during the late afternoon. I skipped dinner today. My heart was racing.

It turns out that everything that I had done prior to today was fine (probably). I just done a few small errors in my calculations today, educational errors too. It's all good and I'm more relaxed now. But I can't keep converging to a racing heart and catastrophizing on such a regular basis, it will kill me.

There's this job application due soon. I have most of the materials set up for it. All I had to do today was set up a username and password for the website of that job application, and I couldn't get around to doing it.

C4L
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: dropped finasteride after almost 2 years

Post by C4L » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:34 am

I quit my job recently and have no plan to acquire a new one :)

Have plenty of proposals on linkedin already though

Uncle Grandfather
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: 5% Minoxidil, 1 mg Finasteride, Nizoral

Post by Uncle Grandfather » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:18 am

JasonStatham wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:11 am
174 isn't bad. For me manlet is a guy that is 170cm and under. For a woman, it's every guy that isn't taller than her with heels on.
Appreciate the encouraging words, but it is in fact quite short. Nearly every other man my age is taller than me, and I routinely see women my height or sometimes taller.
Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind

C4L
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Regimen: dropped finasteride after almost 2 years

Post by C4L » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:22 am

JasonStatham wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:11 am
For a woman, it's every guy that isn't taller than her with heels on.
lol what a coping

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling 1x a week

Post by Admin » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:34 am

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:20 am
Career stress ...

I had a lot of data from a while back, beautiful data, that I finally had time to start thinking about this week. It doesn't come in a natural format, it needs to be compiled, etc. At first, I interpreted it incorrectly, and I started having panic attacks. I worried that I must have fucked up, and I imagined various other people that I've met chastising me for it, for being wasteful and incompetent, for being so sloppy that I couldn't even prepare for my best idea ... I just couldn't function during the late afternoon. I skipped dinner today. My heart was racing.

It turns out that everything that I had done prior to today was fine (probably). I just done a few small errors in my calculations today, educational errors too. It's all good and I'm more relaxed now. But I can't keep converging to a racing heart and catastrophizing on such a regular basis, it will kill me.

There's this job application due soon. I have most of the materials set up for it. All I had to do today was set up a username and password for the website of that job application, and I couldn't get around to doing it.
I used to be the same and it still creeps in sometimes. A minor negative event happens and I think it's going to make my whole life crumble. It just means we're high in neuroticism. I think what helped me the most is reading about the big five personality traits and realize that that most of this process wasn't my fault, so I could already stop beating myself up for being such an emotional mess over nothing sometimes, I'm basically programmed to operate this way.

What are some things that help to manage high neuroticism: stable sleep patterns, waking up every day at the same time, have a protein-dense breakfast, keeping a tight schedule (but I suspect you already do those), I'm fortunate to also be quite high in the personality trait conscientiousness it helps me manage my neuroticism.

And your very-high intelligence and openness (you often say you're very curious) don't help here, as you can think up every catastrophic scenario possible and then back them up with very rigorous thinking so it will seem that they're solid and are bound to happen. That's what my psychologist used to tell me: "You have so much imagination! You really should think about writing a fiction novel!".

At work, I often think that I'm not operating at the best of my abilities (which is unfortunately painfully true), but then I have a meeting with my boss and he tells me that he cannot believe how much work I've been able to do, and that he's quite pleased with my performance. And I'm always like "wut? OK." I can go all over the place all the time because of I'm just interested in so many things and have many projects running simultaneously, like this forum now, and I worry about those too. But hell, I won't complain, I think my situation is a blessing, one of the most important aspect is that I make sure I don't get off-track with my catastrophic thinking and start flagellating myself because my expectations regarding my different projects get way too high and I fail to meet them.

By the way, I'd recommend that you take this personality test partly developed by the good doctor Jordan Peterson: https://www.understandmyself.com

It's done in like 15 minutes and then it compares your result against the whole database to accurately determine in what percentile you rank. Those results helped me tremendously when it came to assessing my personality, how to play on my strength and how to mitigate my weaknesses. Some of the results can be a slap in the face, like the fact that I was in the 1st percentile for assertiveness.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:29 pm

Admin wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:34 am
I used to be the same and it still creeps in sometimes. A minor negative event happens and I think it's going to make my whole life crumble. It just means we're high in neuroticism. I think what helped me the most is reading about the big five personality traits and realize that that most of this process wasn't my fault, so I could already stop beating myself up for being such an emotional mess over nothing sometimes, I'm basically programmed to operate this way.

What are some things that help to manage high neuroticism: stable sleep patterns, waking up every day at the same time, have a protein-dense breakfast, keeping a tight schedule (but I suspect you already do those), I'm fortunate to also be quite high in the personality trait conscientiousness it helps me manage my neuroticism.

And your very-high intelligence and openness (you often say you're very curious) don't help here, as you can think up every catastrophic scenario possible and then back them up with very rigorous thinking so it will seem that they're solid and are bound to happen. That's what my psychologist used to tell me: "You have so much imagination! You really should think about writing a fiction novel!".

At work, I often think that I'm not operating at the best of my abilities (which is unfortunately painfully true), but then I have a meeting with my boss and he tells me that he cannot believe how much work I've been able to do, and that he's quite pleased with my performance. And I'm always like "wut? OK." I can go all over the place all the time because of I'm just interested in so many things and have many projects running simultaneously, like this forum now, and I worry about those too. But hell, I won't complain, I think my situation is a blessing, one of the most important aspect is that I make sure I don't get off-track with my catastrophic thinking and start flagellating myself because my expectations regarding my different projects get way too high and I fail to meet them.

By the way, I'd recommend that you take this personality test partly developed by the good doctor Jordan Peterson: https://www.understandmyself.com

It's done in like 15 minutes and then it compares your result against the whole database to accurately determine in what percentile you rank. Those results helped me tremendously when it came to assessing my personality, how to play on my strength and how to mitigate my weaknesses. Some of the results can be a slap in the face, like the fact that I was in the 1st percentile for assertiveness.
Thanks for the link, I'll try it soon.

Some of my stress might be from adderall extended release. I'm on a minor dose, but I do notice at least one side effect (reduced appetite), and anxiety / panic are also listed as side effects. I'm not always on the drug.

I have some career guilt over having underperformed in the period 2012-2016, approximately. There were a lot of reasons for that and I think that I've moved on. I'm not perfect now, but a lot better, more driven, more organized, more efficient, etc. However, the current project that I'm working on most of the time (not the one mentioned in the post above) is just ... genuinely convoluted. It's been delayed for months because I have kept on finding additional issues in the prior works, that need to be addressed. I'm actually getting a lot done, but because of the delays, it doesn't look like it.

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas every day.
This is the hairline and entire vertex area.

Seven Year Switch

Post by rclark » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:43 pm

Has anybody seen that show?

They take married couples who are having issues with their spouse, and hook
them up with someone who they are more compatible with.

On a hair note, they seem to take husbands on the same Norwood level (I'm not making this up),
and "swap them".

CaptainForehead
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: Avoid mirrors and other reflective surfaces

Post by CaptainForehead » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:37 pm

Hey guys :)

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling 1x a week

Post by Admin » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:43 pm

CaptainForehead wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:37 pm
Hey guys :)
Captain! You're back!

So glad to see you here :).
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

CaptainForehead
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice

Post by CaptainForehead » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:53 pm

Admin wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:43 pm
Captain! You're back!

So glad to see you here :).
Thanks WhitePolarBear :)
Good to interact with you again!
Last edited by CaptainForehead on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainForehead
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice

Post by CaptainForehead » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:04 am

C4L wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:34 am
I quit my job recently and have no plan to acquire a new one :)

Have plenty of proposals on linkedin already though
Damn man, you must be a good programmer!