IoHL Community Coffee Shop

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Re: IoHL Community Coffee Shop

Post by Rudiger » 3 weeks ago

Admin wrote:
3 weeks ago
Afro_first.jpg

:pepe-rage:
You're top again, but it won't be long until he blasts the forum with a dozen posts, and becomes king of his 12th forum

Also expect the inevitable "why am I reading this?" too good for us and this place afro meltdown which occurs every few months, now would be a good time.

"Why am I spending my time with you plebs yet posting more than anyone" Jesus fucking Christ

Added in 3 hours 58 minutes 8 seconds:
Admin wrote:
3 weeks ago
A toxic work environment.

Last year, they closed down my department and downsized the company quite substantially. After that everything changed, some good and professional people who contributed to the company's overall stability left and the result on the other side bore little resemblance to the company I fell in love with 3 years ago. It ended up with sometimes one person doing the job of 2.5 people. I saw many burnouts happen, but thank God, I was spared.

I knew something was wrong from the start. All the trust I had built for the past 2.5 years was instantly broken, my privileges (like working from home) were taken away under the guise that I had to "prove myself" first and mistakes were simply not tolerated anymore, well only for me somehow. They held me to impossible standards. There was no feedback, no encouragement and I was micromanaged.

I cannot put that much blame on my manager as it was her first experience managing a team. She exhibited a lot of empathy, a lot of warmth and these qualities were part of the reason I blindly and eagerly integrated her team. Sadly those qualities don't predict your performance as a manager. It was like 1984:

"Why are you on your phone now? Why do you type on your keyboard so much? I don't think you have that many mails to send! You sometimes disappear for 10 minutes! You can't have your headphones on, you should be aware of your surroundings at all times! You made a couple of mistakes (I had to analyze gigantic amounts of data), how come? I really don't like your attitude!" I soon lived in a constant state of fear, checking my emails before coming to work, wondering if the Inquisition would come for me that day.

Still, naive and loyal as I am, I decided to push through despite the multiple red flags. Funnily enough, my manager was on holiday for 2 weeks when I had the chance to accomplish a very difficult and dreaded part of the job I took over. I did it, it was a success and I got praised by other teams in front of my general manager. 2 days after my manager came back from her holiday, I get this long email from her saying there was no improvement in my work and it was unacceptable. That's when I decided: "alright, I'm out!".

That episode reminded me of Jordan Peterson's following statement:

One of the top comments on that video:

top-comment-managers.jpg

It's sad because I liked the job and many people at that company. But ultimately, it was imperative that I protected my health. A few breakdowns happened and my friends and family were worried about me, they kept telling me I should leave all along, but I was in denial: "You'll see, it will get better!" To anyone (who think they're) stuck in a toxic workplace: It never, ever does. Get the hell out of there!
How has this got so many 3 upvotes?! I saw it yesterday and didn't really read it, but now I have, fucking hell.

You spend your day with headphones on and typing about hair transplants and you act like a fucking victim?! Breakdowns?! What a fucking pussy.

"Still, naive and loyal as I am" you sound so full of shit. Who actually "falls in love" with a company? What do you mean, what about the company made you "fall in love" with a building and registered business?

As someone in management myself I know exactly this type of "victim" attitude, and the fact you're comfortable with taking months off work is completely aligning with my assessment. I know you're going to reply with more specific details about how "others" were the same, but you just said you didn't even go through the worst of what others went through, and yet you still feel you had these "breakdowns"

How would you survive if you were one of the unlucky ones? It sounds like they go easy on you, and that's how you have to manage weak people.

Enjoy the holiday. Fucking hell.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

I'm embarrassed to have not realized this on such elegantly succinct terms.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 3 weeks ago

yettee wrote:
3 weeks ago
Saw this today and thought of you. I guess it means you're young :D
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/17/styl ... lance.html
I'm going to be honest, I'm skeptical that so many people get a lot of work done from home, perhaps in part because I can't do it well. I do sometimes work from home, but the work is generally less good and less difficult. I think that it's also demonstrated psychologically that our minds associate certain bodies with certain tasks. For example, if you play video games on your bed, you might have a harder time falling asleep on it.

Admin wrote:
3 weeks ago
A toxic work environment.

Last year, they closed down my department and downsized the company quite substantially. After that everything changed, some good and professional people who contributed to the company's overall stability left and the result on the other side bore little resemblance to the company I fell in love with 3 years ago. It ended up with sometimes one person doing the job of 2.5 people. I saw many burnouts happen, but thank God, I was spared.

I knew something was wrong from the start. All the trust I had built for the past 2.5 years was instantly broken, my privileges (like working from home) were taken away under the guise that I had to "prove myself" first and mistakes were simply not tolerated anymore, well only for me somehow. They held me to impossible standards. There was no feedback, no encouragement and I was micromanaged.

I cannot put that much blame on my manager as it was her first experience managing a team. She exhibited a lot of empathy, a lot of warmth and these qualities were part of the reason I blindly and eagerly integrated her team. Sadly those qualities don't predict your performance as a manager. It was like 1984:

"Why are you on your phone now? Why do you type on your keyboard so much? I don't think you have that many mails to send! You sometimes disappear for 10 minutes! You can't have your headphones on, you should be aware of your surroundings at all times! You made a couple of mistakes (I had to analyze gigantic amounts of data), how come? I really don't like your attitude!" I soon lived in a constant state of fear, checking my emails before coming to work, wondering if the Inquisition would come for me that day.

Still, naive and loyal as I am, I decided to push through despite the multiple red flags. Funnily enough, my manager was on holiday for 2 weeks when I had the chance to accomplish a very difficult and dreaded part of the job I took over. I did it, it was a success and I got praised by other teams in front of my general manager. 2 days after my manager came back from her holiday, I get this long email from her saying there was no improvement in my work and it was unacceptable. That's when I decided: "alright, I'm out!".

That episode reminded me of Jordan Peterson's following statement:

One of the top comments on that video:

top-comment-managers.jpg

It's sad because I liked the job and many people at that company. But ultimately, it was imperative that I protected my health. A few breakdowns happened and my friends and family were worried about me, they kept telling me I should leave all along, but I was in denial: "You'll see, it will get better!" To anyone (who think they're) stuck in a toxic workplace: It never, ever does. Get the hell out of there!
I'm sorry to read that you've had such a negative experience. I can be almost certain that it's not on you -- you're clearly an intelligent and conscientious individual. You've also shown significant emotional growth in the past few years.

In terms of corporations and managers, very often, the rot starts at the top. I've now worked in a lot of places and I've seen the positive impact that a strong leader can have, as well as the negative impact that a weak and ineffective leader can have. In this case, your manager is very negative and critical, which is well known to be a trait of weak leaders. She should be acknowledging your strengths, and bragging that she has great employees.

I did have some mentoring to do in the past few years. I have made sure to always be positive, and to give very specific and meaningful compliments on a regular basis. I acknowledge progress and I say thank you.

Ego is unfortunately a big thing in both of the academic and the private sector. A lot of people are concerned with pushing their neighbors down, it makes them feel powerful, but it actually both demonstrates how small they are, and keeps them smaller. I worked at a restaurant when I was 19. The manager and the owner were constantly insulting half of the staff, saying that we were bad waiters, bad cooks, etc. Doing so probably made the owner feel powerful. Meanwhile he gave us no training and poor direction. The restaurant subsequently closed within six months. That is on him for being a failure, not on the staff. He may have felt powerful by insulting his employees, but he would have been more powerful had he properly trained his employees, as he'd have made rather than lost money on his business.

I do get some criticism from my current mentor sometimes. However, I can handle it, as she is exceptionally knowledgeable, and I can see the wisdom in her criticism, and that her motivation is for things to improve. Sometimes it's really painful to listen to, but, every time that I've acknowledged what she has to say and implemented changes, it ended up being for the best. That is atypical -- most of the advice that people get in real life has negligible, neutral, or negative value.

Things that I hope to be able to do well in the future:
- Manage a larger group of people. It will be harder as I won't have as much time for each individual person.
- Be able to evaluate CVs, job candidates, in a competent manner. I see that some people are exceptionally skilled at perusing hundreds of CVs and selecting the best person. That's actually very difficult, which is why most people are bad at it.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 3 weeks ago

Stop being rude.
"Grandpa, fix my climate!"

C4L
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3.5
Regimen: none

Post by C4L » 3 weeks ago

Came to Vietnam a couple of days ago.

Vietnamese girls are ugly to average. Not even comparable with Thais or Mixed hapa.
Russians must save Europe from the racist liberal elite.

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 3 weeks ago

blackg wrote:
3 weeks ago
Stop being rude.
this place is really toxic. Insults randomly thrown at me from C4L, JLBB, and kj, Afro playing dumb to support the egalitarian SJW ideology, and Rudiger writing those crazy novels attacking people's character. I don't even know why I keep posting here. I guess because people here are redpilled without going overboard into insane delusional territory (barring a few of the le blackpill types like cope or supremegentleman) . Most here are also smart and interesting, just goddamn so mean spirited.

C4L
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3.5
Regimen: none

Post by C4L » 3 weeks ago

Backpackers in SEA are depressing.

Chads and Stacies are everywhere. No landwhales, no incels. Pure genetics winners. Tall, NW0, with Apollo proportions.

Wtf? Don't ugly people travel? I do not see ones except old bald sex tourists in socks with slipers.

EVEN HAPA BACKPACKERS are with a chiseled jawline and a perfect hair.
Russians must save Europe from the racist liberal elite.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

C4L wrote:
3 weeks ago

Wtf? Don't ugly people travel?
I actually travel a lot.

Added in 6 minutes 14 seconds:
Exodus wrote:
3 weeks ago
this place is really toxic. Insults randomly thrown at me from C4L, JLBB, and kj, Afro playing dumb to support the egalitarian SJW ideology, and Rudiger writing those crazy novels attacking people's character. I don't even know why I keep posting here. I guess because people here are redpilled without going overboard into insane delusional territory (barring a few of the le blackpill types like cope or supremegentleman) . Most here are also smart and interesting, just goddamn so mean spirited.
In general the internet can be a nasty place. I actually had to stop using Twitter for a while. YouTube is also really nasty.

This place is middle of the road, I've seen nicer and meaner.

FYI you can also be kind of nasty sometimes. Perhaps you don't realize it.

And I'm not playing dumb. There's also no benefit to me to support the SJW ideology on here.

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago
I actually travel a lot.

Added in 6 minutes 14 seconds:

In general the internet can be a nasty place. I actually had to stop using Twitter for a while. YouTube is also really nasty.

This place is middle of the road, I've seen nicer and meaner.

FYI you can also be kind of nasty sometimes. Perhaps you don't realize it.

And I'm not playing dumb. There's also no benefit to me to support the SJW ideology on here.
I have a lot of experience on different sites and this place is pretty bad. worse than a lot of incel forums even

Even if you see me as racist (which I'm not), thats still at least general attacks on groups rather than personal attacks like C4L, JLBB, and kj have done (aimed at me).

There obviously is a benefit for you lol. This is what i mean playing dumb. You like to see the world through rose colored glasses , where races and people all have equal or mostly equal accomplishments and genetic quality. The egalitarian worldview.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Exodus wrote:
3 weeks ago
I have a lot of experience on different sites and this place is pretty bad. worse than a lot of incel forums even

Even if you see me as racist (which I'm not), thats still at least general attacks on groups rather than personal attacks like C4L, JLBB, and kj have done (aimed at me).

There obviously is a benefit for you lol. This is what i mean playing dumb. You like to see the world through rose colored glasses , where races and people all have equal or mostly equal accomplishments and genetic quality. The egalitarian worldview.
How do I benefit from playing SJW on an anonymous forum?

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago
How do I benefit from playing SJW on an anonymous forum?
Again playing dumb. Obviously its spreading your SJW ideology. I shouldn't have to explain this.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Exodus wrote:
3 weeks ago
Again playing dumb. Obviously its spreading your SJW ideology. I shouldn't have to explain this.
Dude there's nothing being spread.

But let's say I were to convert you to leftism, that would be a very small benefit to my life. It doesn't affect me that much.

If I were purely motivated by greed, I'd post platitudes on Twitter and Facebook under my real name.

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago
Dude there's nothing being spread.

But let's say I were to convert you to leftism, that would be a very small benefit to my life. It doesn't affect me that much.

If I were purely motivated by greed, I'd post platitudes on Twitter and Facebook under my real name.
Converting random people to your ideology is a benefit, if it wasnt there wouldn't be so many people protesting and such. And its not just about converting me, its also about converting the crowd watching, the people coming here see your stuff and are swayed. There's better reach here than talking to some neighbor or friend in real life. You have all the people visiting this site as your "audience"

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 3 weeks ago

Exodus wrote:
3 weeks ago
For whatever its worth, I dont see Afro attempting to spread any kind of ideology here. His long political posts have often been responses to personal attacks, or to ideas that most people on both the right and left find to be horrible. It seems to me that he actually wants to talk about dating, nutrition and TV shows more, lol. And on issues, he's said that he supports closing borders, has defended TRUMP (that's for you, admin ;) ) from attacks on the left... in many ways he's not on the left at all, or anyway not the 'SJW' left.

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by pjhair » 3 weeks ago

Exodus wrote:
3 weeks ago
People don't always express their ideas in order to convert others though. They may present their ideas because they genuinely believe them and want to defend their belief system. @Afro_Vacancy and @yettee both are liberals and I am a conservative, Trump supporter. I have had numerous discussions with them on different topics. I personally never got the impression that they are out to convert me. I wouldn't assume a specific intention if there is no evidence for it. Don't forget, they can also claim that you are out to convert them each time you express your conservative views.

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 3 weeks ago

pjhair wrote:
3 weeks ago
and @yettee both are liberals
On some issues, but on the whole I'd say that I'm a bit left of center, and at some point I took that political compass test that was discussed here months ago, and thats what it showed. I agree with the Republican party (or at least the pre-Trump one that cared about deficits for example) on some issues, but for a few reasons like gun control and abortion rights could never vote for one for national office.