IoHL Community Coffee Shop

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Re: IoHL Community Coffee Shop

Post by Arjen » 3 weeks ago

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 3 weeks ago

@blackg

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 3 weeks ago

Has anybody ever met Amanda Knox online before? I have and she should be called
Amanda Obnoxious. She was getting angry with me because I was defending someone
convicted of murder on youtube. Her account on youtube is as public as her "post
wedding party" donations.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ama ... 06692.html

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 3 weeks ago

rclark wrote:
3 weeks ago
Has anybody ever met Amanda Knox online before? I have and she should be called
Amanda Obnoxious. She was getting angry with me because I was defending someone
convicted of murder on youtube. Her account on youtube is as public as her "post
wedding party" donations.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ama ... 06692.html
I've always wanted to bang Amanda Knox. Never met her.
Ringo, said the gringo

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 2 weeks ago

blackg wrote:
3 weeks ago
I've always wanted to bang Amanda Knox. Never met her.
She is hot. I'll be honest.

I always thought she was innocent (of murdering her roomate). The weird thing about her, on a
Netflix special, you see her kissing her boyfriend on her lips while they are pulling out the murder victim
and investigating her house. She shows no emotion at all about it, and she called the cops to check
on her.

In her own words, she says she smoked marijuana and had sex with her boyfriend at his place the
night Kercher was murdered.

The prosecutor who sent her to prison was promoted, and he fucked up the entire case. In fact,
they never confirmed the murder weapon. What they thought was the weapon, a knife, had
very little DNA from the murder victim. It was found to be contaminated.

The sentencing was weird as well. She got 26 years (originally), and her boyfriend got 25
years. They guy who actually murdered Kercher got 30 years originally, and I think he is out now.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 weeks ago

Jonathan Blow discusses the decline of the west, and the non-inevitability of technological progress. It's a great talk with a lot if great historical examples.

C4L
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3.5
Regimen: none

Post by C4L » 1 week ago

Holy sh1t
Russians must save Europe from the racist liberal elite.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 1 week ago

C4L wrote:
1 week ago

Holy sh1t
What's the difference between a rice-cel and a bean-cel? Aren't those two generally eaten by the same cultures?

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 1 week ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
Jonathan Blow discusses the decline of the west, and the non-inevitability of technological progress. It's a great talk with a lot if great historical examples.

If this clip is any longer than 2 minutes then I won't be watching.
Ringo, said the gringo

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
If this clip is any longer than 2 minutes then I won't be watching.
It's a detailed and thoughtful one-hour presentation that uses a combination of theory and real-world examples, from both the past and the present.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 week ago
It's a detailed and thoughtful one-hour presentation that uses a combination of theory and real-world examples, from both the past and the present.
No worries, mate I might have a bit of a look today sometime.
I personally think the West will be a dominant global player for at least half a decade.
Ringo, said the gringo

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Chris Cuomo whined over being called "Fredo", which is apparently an anti-Italian slur, which he says is equivalent to the n-word:
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... redo-video

I understand that he's angry for being bothered when he's on vacation with his family, but I feel little sympathy for him. It's the case that in general, a lot of the groups that were persecuted in the USA 100 years ago such as Italians, Jews, Irish, all catholics, Russians, Poles, Ukrainians, etc have it pretty good -- really good. We are for the most part not victims, but beneficiaries of the system. Most of us both contribute positively to the system, and receive a positive compensation for that.

In particular, I have very little patience for Cuomo. He's not a victim. The proof of that is that he has a great job in spite of being very mediocre at it.

These are the people who are actually victims on some level, who in my opinion are worthy of sympathy, help, which I'll argue can legitimately be called investment:
- Blacks;
- The poor through to those with approximately median incomes;
- The uneducated;
- People who have had bad medical luck, such as getting a random cancer at a young age;
- Victims of crime;
I'm obviously speaking in generalities, and there are exceptions to all of the general rules that I have included in this post.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2.5

Post by That Guy » 1 week ago

How are blacks "victims" in the USA in any way?

Where in the world do blacks have it better than in the USA?

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

That Guy wrote:
1 week ago
How are blacks "victims" in the USA in any way?

Where in the world do blacks have it better than in the USA?
They unfortunately have a long history of being victims. Even today, prejudice against blacks is still ingrained culturally.
Ringo, said the gringo

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

There has been some talk of Jeffrey Epstein conspiracy theories lately, and to my chagrin but not to my surprise, many are saying that we should trust the official story because conspiracies are impossible. I find that completely ludicrous. I don't actually know who was behind Epstein's death (it could be any number of people), but I'm confident that the issue is not obvious. First, I give two references:

From a right-wing blogger who discusses physics and politics (he's exceptionally brilliant), note that English is not his first language:
https://motls.blogspot.com/2019/08/poss ... stein.html
From the alt-left site Naked Capitalism, run by someone who was very successful in finance and consulting
https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2019/08 ... rting.html

Now, for myself. I don't have much to say about Epstein specifically. I don't know enough about the facts. But I'm truly disturbed by the number of people who say that conspiracy theories are all wrong. Their idea is that even though it is easy to get one person to lie, you cannot get 50 or 1,000 people to lie, here's an academic paper, "On the Viability of Conspiratorial Beliefs" by David Grimes, who says that "the results of this model suggest that large conspiracies (≥1000 agents) quickly become untenable and prone to failure."
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0147905

Here's one of my counter-arguments: we know that conspiracies can happen in the real world, because there are actual examples from history of conspiracies having taken place, that were subsequently declassified. I will give a few examples, covering a few different sizes.

The first is that of magnetic recording of phone calls. This technology enabled people to leave recorded messages when a phone call was not answered, and is now widely in use. What is less well known is that the technology was developed in the 1934, and then suppressed by Bell Labs. The reason that they suppressed it is simple. Senior management believed that recordings would cause people to abandon the telephone, as they would fear being recorded, and thus would not just say whatever. This is now well documented, you can follow the links here: https://io9.gizmodo.com/how-ma-bell-she ... rs-5691604 , it's an example of a small-to-intermediate sized conspiracy.

Another example of a small-to-intermediate sized conspiracy is from the 1960s, and is one that we have widely discussed. Back in the 1960s, Coca Cola paid money to "scientists" at Harvard to have them argue that the increase in heart disease was due to the consumption of saturated fat and cholesterol, and not due to sugar. I think that anybody could have suspected this, but the reporting of it came out in 2016. If you had brought this up in 2015, you would have been dismissed as a lunatic. Note also that this is an example of soft manipulation. It's unlikely that Coca Cola changed those scientist's minds. Rather, they probably identified scientists who already believed what they wanted to believe, and then gave them money. This would provide an advantage to those scientists over their competitors.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well ... o-fat.html

Now for a larger example: the Manhattan project. The USA developed the atomic bomb during the second world war, in a very large operation that cost 23 billion in 2007 dollars, and employed 130,000 people. That is an overwhelmingly large operation: 130,000 people. And you know what? Most people didn't know. The Japanese, for example, had no idea what happened to Hiroshima in the immediate aftermath of the bomb. Though the theoretical concept of a bomb was widely known, it was not known that the USA had worked out the practical issues. Vice-President Truman only found out about the bomb when he became President. Many of the 130,000 people who worked on the bomb were not told what they were doing. For example, my brother-in-law's grandmother worked on the bomb. She wasn't told what she was working on, but because she was a clever physicist, she was able to figure it out. The security at Los Alamos wasn't even that great. Richard Feynmann wrote in his memoires that he was able to pick a lot of the locks there.

The Germans had their own atomic bomb program, and the allies had a hard time getting information on it. Both Churchill and Roosevelt feared that a V-1 or V-2 rocket might one day hit London with an atomic bomb. But if one believes that conspiracies are impossible, then it should have been easy for the allies to figure it out that German nuclear research was not advanced. It was not. For whatever it's worth, the Nazi nuclear program failed for a few reasons: lack of funding and support, drafting physicists into the army, and the fact that a lot of the top German scientists were Jewish, and thus the kneecapping of German Science by the Nazis slowed down progress. Many of those scientists instead worked for the American program. There's also a conspiracy theory that some of the top German scientists deliberately sabotaged the Nazi nuclear program as a means of opposing Hitler, but I don't know enough to evaluate that theory.

And now for another large example: The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour. That attack, as well as several other attacks by the Japanese in that same period, involved a lot of coordination from a lot of people, but yet not everybody know. The Japanese public was caught off guard. The Japanese fighter pilots were mostly told at ~3:00am on the morning of the attacks. The Americans were caught off guard. Note an interesting thing there: there are some people who say that the Americans knew and allowed the attacks to happen. Other people say that this could not have happened as conspiracies are impossible. Think about that: the same people who say that the Americans could not have kept knowledge of Pearl Harbour a secret, also say that the Japanese successfully kept knowledge of Pearl Harbour a secret. Whatever.

Conclusions:
I certainly agree that most conspiracy theories are crap, and in general we don't have enough information to say which hypothetical truth is the truth. However, we should not dismiss conspiracies out of hand -- they are a very real part of the world.