IoHL Community Coffee Shop

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

IoHL Community Coffee Shop

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:05 pm

Use this thread for small talk on miscellaneous issues not worthy of their own thread.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: IoHL Community Coffee Shop

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:09 pm

I visited Harvard this week for work purposes, and thus ended up spending some time in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It's not altogether that different from other educated, white, upper-middle class enclaves but ... it has a cachet due to Harvard and MIT being in the area.

If I see a beautiful woman (as there are in most places), I feel doubly inferior and inadequate, as there are good odds that she has an IQ of 150+ to boot.

This was mostly after my visit, during which I noticed that all of the scientists that I met are working on difficult and interesting problems, working on them successfully, and people made several constructive and valid critiques of my own work -- though they were also enthusiastic and wanted more information.

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:18 am

I tend to stay away from places like Harvard and MIT.
I acknowledge the traditional owners of Australia and North America. Fred, go home!

pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by pjhair » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:44 am

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:09 pm
If I see a beautiful woman (as there are in most places), I feel doubly inferior and inadequate, as there are good odds that she has an IQ of 150+ to boot.
It's not a guarantee that a beautiful woman at Harvard would have an IQ of 150+. I personally know a beautiful women who got into Harvard for Phd in Chemistry. She is of average intelligence. Even though she is white, she claimed on the admission application that she is native american. Perhaps that's how she got in despite not-stellar grades and average GRE.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:53 am

blackg wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:18 am
I tend to stay away from places like Harvard and MIT.
You mean that they stay away from you. They've never set up a campus in Dubbo, New South Wales. They are probably not planning to do so, due to the lack of student demand for pork and onion pie.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:56 am

pjhair wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:44 am
It's not a guarantee that a beautiful woman at Harvard would have an IQ of 150+. I personally know a beautiful women who got into Harvard for Phd in Chemistry. She is of average intelligence. Even though she is white, she claimed on the admission application that she is native american. Perhaps that's how she got in despite not-stellar grades and average GRE.
I also know some non-spectacular people who have been at or at Harvard or MIT, and it is also likelier to be the case for the general population in Cambridge. That said, the odds are generally better than in most places.

[FYI a lot of PhD programs in the sciences are desperate to have more women and minority members. There's a general desire to have more women and minorities in science, with less agreement as to how to do so.]

Though you said the same thing that my host said. I jokingly said that the median IQ around here must be 150. She said that it's ruled out, as a large fraction of Harvard's students are there as legacies.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: big 3, microneedling for absorption

Post by koolaidshade » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:37 am

Lol so i work in middle management and my boss, who's in her late 30s, has a phD in a stem field. She was in a sorority back in college and dated her current husband (who works in a white collar field) since she was 18/19. She was most likely way attractive back in her prime years, as evident by the fact that she looked great even in her early 30s, and part of me is grateful that she isnt as attractive currently, since I have to interact with her a lot. I'm sure if she had been taking care of herself since she was young and didnt have several kids she'd look pretty great.

she has it all - brains, great personality, looks (she's still somewhat attractive), but most of all, if it werent for her, i wouldnt have been in the position i am in right now. she believed in me, hired me, and contributed to my promotion later on, even after i switched departments.

On the contrary, I have had a boss the opposite of her years ago. this one was ethnic (aztec mexican, injun, think very dark greasy skin/hair), ugly, looked like a man, and had a hard time dating. Lets just say I didnt last long at that job right after word got out that I befriended a few ppl there, while she couldnt really befriend my popular colleagues after all her years working there.

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:37 am

koolaidshade wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:37 am

On the contrary, I have had a boss the opposite of her years ago. this one was ethnic (aztec mexican, injun, think very dark greasy skin/hair), ugly, looked like a man, and had a hard time dating. Lets just say I didnt last long at that job right after word got out that I befriended a few ppl there, while she couldnt really befriend my popular colleagues after all her years working there.
With an attitude like the one you're displaying here it's no wonder that this woman couldn't penetrate your little work social clique.

You all sound like a bunch of racists.
I acknowledge the traditional owners of Australia and North America. Fred, go home!

Uncle Grandfather
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: 5% Minoxidil, 1 mg Finasteride, Nizoral

Post by Uncle Grandfather » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:03 am

It irks me to no end being considered the "kid" at my workplace despite being nearly 30. It makes no sense either, since a few of my coworkers have kids who are just now going to college.
Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:22 am

Uncle Grandfather wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:03 am
It irks me to no end being considered the "kid" at my workplace despite being nearly 30. It makes no sense either, since a few of my coworkers have kids who are just now going to college.
My advice is to enjoy it while you can.

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:37 am

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:53 am
You mean that they stay away from you. They've never set up a campus in Dubbo, New South Wales. They are probably not planning to do so, due to the lack of student demand for pork and onion pie.
Did you get to Dubbo, yourself, when you were living in Aus?
They have a world famous zoo there:
Taronga Western Plains Zoo.

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:42 pm

Uncle Grandfather wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:03 am
manlet?

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: big 3, microneedling for absorption

Post by koolaidshade » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:59 pm

blackg wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:37 am
With an attitude like the one you're displaying here it's no wonder that this woman couldn't penetrate your little work social clique.

You all sound like a bunch of racists.
How is what i said racist?

Also, i happen to be pacific islander, and the people in that work social circle consisted of some that were indian or hispanic. That supervisor overloaded us with work when we were short staffed and expected us to meet impossible and unfeasible lead-times. She also nit-picked and found reasons to fire people she didnt like. Birds of a feather flock together, and the only person on our shift that she befriended was some wide-hipped frumpy tall guy with an ugly wife that was as equally bitter.

White Ferrari
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by White Ferrari » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:30 am

pjhair wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:44 am
I have heard of this before. Supposedly the admission forms put down the question as something like "Which race/ethnicity do you most IDENTIFY with?", leaves a lot of leeway eh. Fucking PC.

A school like Harvard really doesn't do any background check on this huh? I guess they could get sued for looking into someones' race

pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by pjhair » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:09 am

White Ferrari wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:30 am
I have heard of this before. Supposedly the admission forms put down the question as something like "Which race/ethnicity do you most IDENTIFY with?", leaves a lot of leeway eh. Fucking PC.

A school like Harvard really doesn't do any background check on this huh? I guess they could get sued for looking into someones' race
From what I have seen, it's not uncommon in the US for whites to claim that they are native Americans if they have even one ancestor a few generations ago who was native american.