Kanye West About Negative Impact of Social Media

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
JasonStatham
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW3.5

Kanye West About Negative Impact of Social Media

Post by JasonStatham » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:45 am

So Kanye West is dropping some truth bombs:
Kanye West shared a few thoughts on Thursday (Sept. 20) that have been sitting on his conscious for some time now. One is the negative impact of social media, which Yeezy believes is plaguing our youth. West even posted a conversation with Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey regarding stripping the importance of follower counts on their app.

"We should be able to participate in social media without having to show how many followers or likes we have. Just like how we can turn off the comments we should be able to turn off the display of followers," he tweeted early Thursday. "This has an intense negative impact on our self-worth."

Yeezy followed up by posting a video of Denzel Washington urging the youth to stay away from the toxic environment that social media has created in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle. "Social media can be good but we have to hold the heads responsible for the psychological damage it sometimes causes," West captioned.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/colu ... cial-media

Pat
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dutasteride, minoxidil, ketokonazole, dermarolling.

Re: Kanye West About Negative Impact of Social Media

Post by Pat » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:55 pm

The thing about likes and followers is that it fuels the site. A lot of the time people post, retweet, comment, like etc in order to get attention to their own profile and in turn more followers, likes etc themselves. Without the likes etc. there wouldn't be as many people using the platforms. The users of social media like to see their own numbers get bigger as a validation of themselves and they like the dopamine rush that they get when their content gets a lot of likes.

Businesses such as facebook don't care about the wellbeing of their users, they care about the amount of users and the amount of time they spend using their service in order to maximize profits. In conclusion I think Kanye's idea would be good for the mental wellbeing of the consumers of social media, but bad for the social media business, which is why it hasn't been implemented already, and probably never will.

Murkey Thumb
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice

Post by Murkey Thumb » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:11 pm

If I was Kanye West I would be more worried about his negative impact on music.

White Ferrari
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice

Post by White Ferrari » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:36 am

Murkey Thumb wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:11 pm
So original.

Anyway, agree with @Pat this will never happen. We all know how those red notifications on facebook, Insta and even HairLossTalk are addicting.

Still, wise words from the erratic Mr. West.

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:44 am

White Ferrari wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:36 am
So original.

Anyway, agree with @Pat this will never happen. We all know how those red notifications on facebook, Insta and even HairLossTalk are addicting.

Still, wise words from the erratic Mr. West.
I don't think they are wise words to be honest.
They are the words of a man struggling in adulthood while he still wrongly thinks that he is "down with the kids."

When are people going to learn? Adults rarely "teach" the youth anything, particularly in terms of youth culture and more loosely pop culture.
There is only one way forward for these teenagers of privilege.
They have to learn these lessons themselves and no amount of advice from a once cutting edge rapper can change this.
For the white kids in Chiraq

Bklyn_23
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: Nizoral

Post by Bklyn_23 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:16 am

that have been sitting on his conscious
Wow, Billboard - really? :roll:

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by JasonStatham » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:36 pm

Bklyn_23 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:16 am
Wow, Billboard - really? :roll:
Let that sink in that this guy got paid to write this article lol. Maybe they hired a none english speaker because of "muuuh" racism policy.

Bklyn_23
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: Nizoral

Post by Bklyn_23 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:21 am

JasonStatham wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:36 pm
Let that sink in that this guy got paid to write this article lol. Maybe they hired a none english speaker because of "muuuh" racism policy.
I'm the furthest thing from a pedant, and I can easily tolerate grammatical errors in blogs and other personal/free content. But when I see these things in content from large companies/sites/publications it irks me because, like you said, someone got paid for it. Shit, I work in technology (not even related to writing), and if I sent any sort of communication out to senior leadership or the business as a whole which had these sorts of errors I'd more likely than not have an email from my Sr. Director in short order asking me to be more careful. :P

JeanLucBB
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JeanLucBB » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:55 am

Murkey Thumb wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:11 pm
Retarded comment. Guarantee you've never listened to his music or bothered to investigate his impact from the sense of academia, music criticism, music history or hip hop.

The only people that hate Kanye or think he isn't one of the greats of the last two decades haven't listened to Kanye or have closed their minds to modern music period.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling 1x a week

Post by Admin » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:14 am

JeanLucBB wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:55 am
Retarded comment. Guarantee you've never listened to his music or bothered to investigate his impact from the sense of academia, music criticism, music history or hip hop.

The only people that hate Kanye or think he isn't one of the greats of the last two decades haven't listened to Kanye or have closed their minds to modern music period.
I wanted to write this but forgot: yes Kanye West is one of the best in his genre, acclaimed by critics and the public alike.

He put out a few legendary albums and yes, there were a few songs of his that got me hooked.

It's not obvious that he's such a genius when you look at him or witness his narcissistic outbursts in the media, but it's the case.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

JeanLucBB
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JeanLucBB » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:37 am

Admin wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:14 am
I wanted to write this but forgot: yes Kanye West is one of the best in his genre, acclaimed by critics and the public alike.

He put out a few legendary albums and yes, there were a few songs of his that got me hooked.

It's not obvious that he's such a genius when you look at him or witness his narcissistic outbursts in the media, but it's the case.
"acclaimed by critics and the public alike. "

Definitely, I can't think of any other artist that balances such widespread acclaim across both the highbrow and indie communities as well as the mainstream. It's never a matter of taste in the cases of those who outright dislike him either I find, they just haven't listened. His sampling of other artists is so deep into various facets of pop and experimental music from the last 50 years that its almost guaranteed that the haters will be able to find at least a few tracks they really love in his discography.

People get too caught up in the media outbursts and judge on that, from all the many interviews I've seen I suspect he almost definitely is on the autism spectrum and maybe has asbergers.

yettee
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:18 pm

JeanLucBB wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:37 am
"acclaimed by critics and the public alike. "

Definitely, I can't think of any other artist that balances such widespread acclaim across both the highbrow and indie communities as well as the mainstream. It's never a matter of taste in the cases of those who outright dislike him either I find, they just haven't listened. His sampling of other artists is so deep into various facets of pop and experimental music from the last 50 years that its almost guaranteed that the haters will be able to find at least a few tracks they really love in his discography.

People get too caught up in the media outbursts and judge on that, from all the many interviews I've seen I suspect he almost definitely is on the autism spectrum and maybe has asbergers.
I'll be honest, I have given Kanye a try and I'm just not that into it. Of course appreciation of art is subjective so no need to get into a hot debate on this one :D but thought I'd chime in, as a pretty big rap/hip hop fan. I do think Kendrick Lamar is a genius, fantastic etc. I love just about all he's put out. I also love some old hip hop, for example the first side of the Beasie Boys' Hello Nasty is incredible, NWA, some others.

Not a hater though and I do like some Kanye songs, as you said. For example Bound 2 got a lot of flak for the video, but I think its great...

Murkey Thumb
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice

Post by Murkey Thumb » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:51 pm

JeanLucBB wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:55 am

No I am not a big hip hop fan but I have listened to some of his music, my 14 year son puts it on, cant say I enjoy his rapping but some of the production is very good(probably because he has 5-14 separate producers on each album).

Too me he is like the U2 of hip hop but at least they didn't suck at Glastonbury!

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:30 am

I suppose Kanye West does have talent but he is just too mainstream for me.

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:47 am

yettee wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:18 pm
I'll be honest, I have given Kanye a try and I'm just not that into it. Of course appreciation of art is subjective so no need to get into a hot debate on this one :D but thought I'd chime in, as a pretty big rap/hip hop fan. I do think Kendrick Lamar is a genius, fantastic etc. I love just about all he's put out. I also love some old hip hop, for example the first side of the Beasie Boys' Hello Nasty is incredible, NWA, some others.

Not a hater though and I do like some Kanye songs, as you said. For example Bound 2 got a lot of flak for the video, but I think its great...
Forget Kanye. We could watch Easyrider together.