Film and television discussion thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by Admin » 2 months ago

https://babylonbee.com/news/braveheart- ... ena-dunham

I legit pauzed and wondered if this one was real before I saw it was The Babylon Bee.

@blackg would definitely watch tough.
Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." - Ephesians 4:31-32 :christian-cross:

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 2 months ago

Admin wrote:
2 months ago
https://babylonbee.com/news/braveheart- ... ena-dunham

I legit pauzed and wondered if this one was real before I saw it was The Babylon Bee.

@blackg would definitely watch tough.
If Lena will be wearing a short tartan kilt, I'm in.
Moore/Trump 2020

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 1 month ago

I watched a six-part documentary on the rise and fall of the Roman empire, available on YouTube at the link below. I recommend it, it has a broad scope and explores several of the factors that led to failure.

PhD in Internalized Incelism.

I had a hair transplant operation with the clinic of Dr. Emrah Cinik in Istanbul, with 2750 grafts being mostly placed in the front. It was a success both for general aesthetics and general well-being, and I encourage others to do the same.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dustasteride 0.5 milligrams daily, Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 1 month ago

Witcher was really good (or at least I thought it was). The ending didn't really make sense to me though.
Think happy thoughts.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 1 month ago

rclark wrote:
1 month ago
Witcher was really good (or at least I thought it was). The ending didn't really make sense to me though.
Currently watching it.

You season 2 was out of control in the best way possible. Love that show.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.

Post by Admin » 1 month ago

The Mandalorian was such an unexpected treat seeing how low Star Wars had sunk in the theaters, from repackaging the original Star Wars to destroying its mythology through the subversion of expectations (Luke is now a bitter old man, not what you expected, right?! Yeah I didn't expect such a pile of garbage) and far left propaganda. I really liked Rogue One though.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8111088/

The Mandalorian on the other hand has a proper story structure with no inversion or subversion in it. Good is good, evil is evil, it's the classical hero journey that leaves us all in awe. The main character is a flawed underdog criminal who sets out to get the Christ Child, I mean Baby Yoda (which you've probably all seen by now) to safety.

I'm also going through the third season of The Crown and it has been consistently great during its 3 seasons. Great acting, storytelling and epic moments supported by the score of Rupert Gregson-Williams, the little brother of Harry Gregson-Williams (Metal Gear Solid series).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4786824/

I didn't watch many movies recently but I was deeply moved by Le Mans 66 (or Ford V. Ferrari in the US otherwise Americans wouldn't know what it's about):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1950186/

And Sorry We Missed You, a heartbreaking insight into the life of an average working class family in today's UK. [Trigger warning]: they're white and yes, they suffer and are oppressed by society.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8359816/
Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." - Ephesians 4:31-32 :christian-cross:

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Admin wrote:
1 month ago
The Mandalorian was such an unexpected treat seeing how low Star Wars had sunk in the theaters, from repackaging the original Star Wars to destroying its mythology through the subversion of expectations (Luke is now a bitter old man, not what you expected, right?! Yeah I didn't expect such a pile of garbage) and far left propaganda. I really liked Rogue One though.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8111088/

The Mandalorian on the other hand has a proper story structure with no inversion or subversion in it. Good is good, evil is evil, it's the classical hero journey that leaves us all in awe. The main character is a flawed underdog criminal who sets out to get the Christ Child, I mean Baby Yoda (which you've probably all seen by now) to safety.

Somebody hilariously mocked Rian Johnson, the director of The Last Jedi, on Twitter:

Anyway, more seriously, subverting expectations is fine, but a story has to do something interesting with it. Subverting expectations by itself is not a good story move.

A better example is Darth Vader being Luke Skywalker's father. That wasn't what the audience expected. That wasn't what was in some of the earlier drafts. But that story did something interesting with it, because Luke was then challenged with the issue that he did not know what to do with his father.

I had a hair transplant operation with the clinic of Dr. Emrah Cinik in Istanbul, with 2750 grafts being mostly placed in the front. It was a success both for general aesthetics and general well-being, and I encourage others to do the same.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/j ... ese-marvel

I appreciate this point of view but they either rarely elaborate or their explanations don't make it into print.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 1 month ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/j ... ese-marvel

I appreciate this point of view but they either rarely elaborate or their explanations don't make it into print.
As someone who's deeply appreciated everything the Marvel Universe had to offer (except Captain Marvel which I'll never see), my gut reaction is to tell people like Tarantino and Scorcese to stop whining at the structure of reality.

Their movies are fucking masterpieces, but a lack of humility and whining about the success of others doesn't look good on anyone. He wants to beat them? Then do better, make movies that inspire people even more than what the Marvel movies have offered them. Every time they come out with those statements, I picture a 'good taste' police coming to take people out of their homes to force them to go watch certain movies: "See, that's what you're supposed to like! Shut up and appreciate the great art, peasant!"

I can put this into perspective, as great as some of those movies were (like Captain America Civil War), they will never be on the same footing as Star Wars, the Lord of the Rings or The Lion King, and if legendary movies like that were to be made again, I certainly hope I wouldn't see Marvel directors being like "but, but, we're better, why do people like what they like?!".

Everything in its place. Marvel movies are the best experience cinema had to offer us in the past 10 years. The mythological structure people need to experience in their lives. Their success is no accident and there are tons of blockbusters that miserably fail. Hundreds of millions in advertising will only take you so far, especially in the age of the easily-accessible mass movie reviews.

Now I also really liked Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, its atmosphere and its originality, and I'm sure The Irishman is quite good as well in its genre. But for God's sake, let's put a stop to this narcissistic whining. If something's great, the audience will find it and genuinely love it, people are always thirsty for greatness. There's no need to tell them where it's supposed to be and to denigrate other genres and artists in the process.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 4 weeks ago

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 4 weeks ago

Most people are tired of outrage culture and have stopped paying attention to it altogether.

I certainly don't want to read any of that shit, I got the gist of it. Now all they can do is cannibalize each other.

This type of far left identitarian toxic content has more than run its course, this isn't 2013 anymore. Let's all move on from that cultural dark age.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 4 weeks ago

Admin wrote:
4 weeks ago
Most people are tired of outrage culture and have stopped paying attention to it altogether.

I certainly don't want to read any of that shit, I got the gist of it. Now all they can do is cannibalize each other.

This type of far left identitarian toxic content has more than run its course, this isn't 2013 anymore. Let's all move on from that cultural dark age.
I'm also fed up with IDpol as I think it's exaggerated.

But, further down this article convinced me of how toxic many Star Wars fans are, specifically the Reylo contingent. What a completely embarrassing group of people.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 3 weeks ago

I watched JoJo Rabbit last night and Parasite tonight. I'm in awe of both movies.

I had absolutely no idea what Parasite was going to be about, but i quickly fell in love. The screenplay is just really, really competent, with a lot of earned twists and developments. The escalation just keeps on going, it's a masterclass in narrative structure.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 3 weeks ago

Admin wrote:
4 weeks ago
I wish it still was 2013. That was one of my best years sexually.

Added in 4 minutes 14 seconds:
Has anyone here actually seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood? I want your opinion on it, guys.

I know JLBB saw it but what about the other smart members on here?
Moore/Trump 2020

Char
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: My tears.

Post by Char » 2 weeks ago

Did any of you watch Birds of Prey? Jeremy Jahn's review made it pretty much clear that it is a SJW garbage propaganda where women fight evil white males just because. What the hell is with this shit. These days even video games are filled with SJW propaganda: Battliefield 5, Call of Duty WW2, Wolfenstein 2 (fucking fat people sex scene, lmao).