Film and television discussion thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Guest-2
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Guest-2 » 11 months ago

rclark wrote: 11 months ago Hollywood has many unrealistic expectations for both women and men. By that I mean
movies made in the United States and shown internationally.

The woman who I remember had hair issues was Helen Hunt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Hunt

As for men, it's just as bad. When I saw It Chapter 2, I really do think James McVoy
had hair extensions for the IT Chapter 2 movie, and possibly some of the other actors as well.

His hair really is not that dense in real life. It kind of surprised me, because it really
seemed as if the costars all had hair extensions, except for one.
I don't recall Helen Hunt in particular having hair issues. She did have a very high forehead though. Maybe this became more so as she aged? I don't know

there are actress who I suspect have hair issues but this is because they start to wear wigs. and I think many hide it with strategic hair systems that match there hair and/or hair fibers or colored powder.

To be honest (Knock on wood, because I live in fear) my loss is concealed with aneye brow powder very well. I don't know how long I will be this lucky. Meds are working for me but there is always the fear they may stop at some point.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg topical, topical Progesterone 2% (topical only, Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 11 months ago

Hairblues wrote: 11 months ago I don't recall Helen Hunt in particular having hair issues. She did have a very high forehead though. Maybe this became more so as she aged? I don't know

there are actress who I suspect have hair issues but this is because they start to wear wigs. and I think many hide it with strategic hair systems that match there hair and/or hair fibers or colored powder.

To be honest (Knock on wood, because I live in fear) my loss is concealed with aneye brow powder very well. I don't know how long I will be this lucky. Meds are working for me but there is always the fear they may stop at some point.
That's what I worry about as well. My hair is long enough now where it conceals some of my hair loss.

I don't think I'm going to make very good gains.

I've stopped derma stamping on my vertex, because it ends up giving me an unwanted haircut where
I have terminal hair.

Wire
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: Overeat

Post by Wire » 11 months ago

EvilLocks wrote: 11 months ago So have you seen me trying to be a bald man though? Since you said I try to be like you guys but can't. What do I do that makes you think I try to be like a bald man? That's just ridiculous.
When you refer to the SadVegeta thread, what do you mean? Do you mean that I in this thread claimed that bald women are worse off than bald men? If so, stop living in the past. How many years ago was that thread made? 5? 6? Are people going to hold an ancient thread that was made at the height of my hair loss psychosis against me years later? What bullshit. In recent years I have never made one statement, not one, about bald women being worse off than bald men. And the only thing I did say in the past, was that you cannot understand my struggles because you're not me and I cannot understand your struggles because I'm not you. So please, just. STOP.

:thumbdown:

:eyes:

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 11 months ago

CaptainForehead wrote: 11 months ago

:eyes:
How about answering my questions instead of resorting to posting a crappy Taylor Swift song 8-) If you're going to accuse me of something you might as well give your reasoning behind it. If your reasoning behind it is the SadVegeta thread that happened years ago, you're grasping at straws here. I have never tried to, nor do I want to, act like a bald man. I am a bald woman, take it or leave it =)

Guest-2
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

EvilLocks wrote: 11 months ago How about answering my questions instead of resorting to posting a crappy Taylor Swift song 8-) If you're going to accuse me of something you might as well give your reasoning behind it. If your reasoning behind it is the SadVegeta thread that happened years ago, you're grasping at straws here. I have never tried to, nor do I want to, act like a bald man. I am a bald woman, take it or leave it =)
Attachments
tenor.gif
tenor.gif (161.27 KiB) Viewed 6106 times

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Hairblues wrote: 11 months ago

@CaptainForehead

:smirk:

Guest-2
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

EvilLocks wrote: 11 months ago Image

@CaptainForehead

:smirk:
If you think you can, come for me anytime :D

Guest-4
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Guest-4 » 11 months ago

I wonder if intergenerational relationships are less common than they used to be.

JLBB
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 11 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote: 11 months ago Things I've seen lately

The Dragon Prince -- Netflix animated series from the creators of The Last Airbender. Two seasons are up and it's a really lovely world that they've created, though probably not as rich as the last Airbender.

The Boys - Hairblues and pjhair gave me the recommendation. I found it to be pretty intelligent, the world felt lived in and detailed, which was nice. The black humor was the right humor for me, the jokes were funny without trying too hard and without ever distracting from the story.

Unbelievable - A one season dramatization of a real-life serial rape case told on Netflix. The first episode is one of the hardest hours of television that I've watched, there's a traumatic rape scene and its aftermath. Following that, the series veers into a different territory, with two brilliant police detectives eventually solving the case. The series actually does show "intelligence" in a competent manner, the detectives don't solve the crime by having access to the script, nor do they go on phones monologues like they would in an Alan Sorkin script.

Joker - I agree with Michael Moore (https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/joker ... 202179054/ ), this is an excellent movie. I hope that more of you see it and that we can discuss it. The acting (and thus casting), sound mixing, cinematography are all excellent, and the screenplay is really tight and leaves *a lot* up to interpretation without relying on any hack-like twists.

The Son of The White Mare - This is a restored Hungarian animation classic from the 1980s, based on Hungarian folktales, that is playing at various places. I didn't really like it, but others might. The animation and music are quite trippy:

I'm happy and feel richer to have seen all five of the above, and I enjoyed the first four.
I can't be bothered writing a larger analysis of Joker although I do think it is a very good film, albeit a lesser work than the films it draws from/arguably steals from in a seemingly juvenile fashion. Its incredibly interesting reading the broad ranges of analysis and responses, most of all seeing that 75-80% of these seem to outright ignore objective facts of what occurs in the film when analysing it, instead simply espousing their own political agenda and applying it to the film as a whole, without accurately referencing it. The film reviewing community has become a fucking joke, namely because we no longer have art lovers/analysers in the profession for the most part, but rather masquerading political and cultural activists who don't give a shit about art. The amount of people attributing a morality to the film as a whole simply because of the actions of people IN the film as if that somehow logically suggests the film/director advocates it is genuinely sad and fucking pathetic.

This doesn't detail any of the aesthetic, or medium specific components of the film but in terms of analysing the political and cultural implications of the film this is the best look at it I have seen. Sad that it takes political journalist to give an accurate examination of a piece of art in 2019.

I would ultimately say though that the film represents a conservative perspective of the left wing and activist movement however.

“I think it’s because outrage is a commodity, I think it’s something that has been a commodity for a while,” director Todd Phillips told the Wrap in a Sept. 20 interview first published Wednesday. “What’s outstanding to me in this discourse in this movie is how easily the far left can sound like the far right when it suits their agenda. It’s really been eye-opening for me.”

This quite very relevant to a reading of the film in my opinion. To put it in simplest terms, I see it as a broad critique of neoliberalism and modern capitalism, emphasising how the disenfranchised in this environment tend towards political extremes, becoming desperate to be heard and recognised in our culture when faced with clear social inequity. Outside of that it clearly suggests that the left offer little in terms of realistic solutions but their own rabid and violent extremism. None of this is particularly groundbreaking and as a character study Arthur is hollow and 2 dimensional in comparison to a Travis Bickle, but the generic qualities of opposing sides and broad brush strokes in the film lend themselves well to an avalanche of referencing through 2019 political discourse. On top of that the film is overall visceral and consistently engaging, sometimes hugely in particular the last 20 minutes or so.

Honestly the only thing I outright disliked is the very Hollywood manner in which they showed the relationship between Joker and the black woman was imagined towards the end, as if it wasn't already obvious he was out of touch with reality and this was unrealistic. This could have been left more a grey area, as was whether or not his mother had a relationship with Wayne, or if she was completely delusional.

Guest-4
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

JLBB wrote: 11 months ago I can't be bothered writing a larger analysis of Joker although I do think it is a very good film, albeit a lesser work than the films it draws from/arguably steals from in a seemingly juvenile fashion. Its incredibly interesting reading the broad ranges of analysis and responses, most of all seeing that 75-80% of these seem to outright ignore objective facts of what occurs in the film when analysing it, instead simply espousing their own political agenda and applying it to the film as a whole, without accurately referencing it. The film reviewing community has become a fucking joke, namely because we no longer have art lovers/analysers in the profession for the most part, but rather masquerading political and cultural activists who don't give a shit about art. The amount of people attributing a morality to the film as a whole simply because of the actions of people IN the film as if that somehow logically suggests the film/director advocates it is genuinely sad and fucking pathetic.

This doesn't detail any of the aesthetic, or medium specific components of the film but in terms of analysing the political and cultural implications of the film this is the best look at it I have seen. Sad that it takes political journalist to give an accurate examination of a piece of art in 2019.

I would ultimately say though that the film represents a conservative perspective of the left wing and activist movement however.

“I think it’s because outrage is a commodity, I think it’s something that has been a commodity for a while,” director Todd Phillips told the Wrap in a Sept. 20 interview first published Wednesday. “What’s outstanding to me in this discourse in this movie is how easily the far left can sound like the far right when it suits their agenda. It’s really been eye-opening for me.”

This quite very relevant to a reading of the film in my opinion. To put it in simplest terms, I see it as a broad critique of neoliberalism and modern capitalism, emphasising how the disenfranchised in this environment tend towards political extremes, becoming desperate to be heard and recognised in our culture when faced with clear social inequity. Outside of that it clearly suggests that the left offer little in terms of realistic solutions but their own rabid and violent extremism. None of this is particularly groundbreaking and as a character study Arthur is hollow and 2 dimensional in comparison to a Travis Bickle, but the generic qualities of opposing sides and broad brush strokes in the film lend themselves well to an avalanche of referencing through 2019 political discourse. On top of that the film is overall visceral and consistently engaging, sometimes hugely in particular the last 20 minutes or so.

Honestly the only thing I outright disliked is the very Hollywood manner in which they showed the relationship between Joker and the black woman was imagined towards the end, as if it wasn't already obvious he was out of touch with reality and this was unrealistic. This could have been left more a grey area, as was whether or not his mother had a relationship with Wayne, or if she was completely delusional.
I am not sure if most of the critiques of the movie are from people who have seen the movie. It should normally be an unstated prerequisite that in order to share an opinion on a movie you should have first watched the fucking movie. There is also the issue that even when critics do watch movies, they often can't be bothered to watch them carefully. Devin Faraci had written that many critics simply watch the DVDs of the movies that the film companies send them, in their laptops, while doing other things.

Issues are further amplified here. A lot if leftists are fiercely loyal to Marvel / Disney, which is funny on multiple grounds, such as the fact that those movies are inherently fascist and that their central unifying theme is "Blue Lives Matter". Further, people thought that the Joker would be written as an incel (sort of), and many instinctively opposed the notion that incels should ever show up in popular art. The reaction to this movie has been a gong show.

One counterpoint -- many people hated The Wolf of Of Wall Street and even Gone Girl because they assumed that depiction implies endorsement.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Hairblues wrote: 11 months ago If you think you can, come for me anytime :D
I meant I was gonna whoop Captain Forehead's ass but if you need a good whooping too I'm happy to assist 8-) I'm more likely to give you a hug though xD

Guest-2
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

EvilLocks wrote: 11 months ago I meant I was gonna whoop Captain Forehead's ass but if you need a good whooping too I'm happy to assist 8-) I'm more likely to give you a hug though xD
A whopping followed by a hug ;)

Guest-4
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 11 months ago

I liked it too, including the heavy focus on mental illness as the focus of Joker's problems. For me this movie is about how society has failed the mentally ill by not ensuring that they get the proper treatment (the movie is set in the 80's USA, the time of the Reagan deinstitutionalization of the mentally ill) and in general a health care system that doesn't get the neediest amongst us high quality treatment, or in many cases any treatment at all. I believe that this is probably what the director and actor intended, or at least how they anticipated it would be perceived by many - as in fact a critique of the right. So when some on the left criticized the movie rather than praised it I think they were stung and taken aback and that's what prompted the following quote, rather than the intention or content of the film - “What’s outstanding to me in this discourse in this movie is how easily the far left can sound like the far right when it suits their agenda. It’s really been eye-opening for me.” I think the 'eye-opening' referred to their surprise at the critical reaction to the film by the left after it was released.

That said @JLBB I do agree with this - "I do think it is a very good film, albeit a lesser work than the films it draws from/arguably steals from in a seemingly juvenile fashion." So much of the plot, dialogue, actions were a straight up rip of Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy. It was really too much, it went beyond homage and really was just a combination of the two films. But the score and cinematography were really dark and engaging and appropriate, it was very well directed and acted, and for sure worth seeing.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Hairblues wrote: 11 months ago A whopping followed by a hug ;)
Sounds just like my style :D