Film and television discussion thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
User avatar
Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 468
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 639
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by Exodus » 3 months ago

pjhair wrote:
3 months ago
Yes, I understand Hindi. This movie looks hilarious. It also seems to have showcased the struggles of bald men perfectly. In the trailer, the protagonist, who goes bald, talks about how he was a really popular guy in his school when he had full head of hair. But when he lost his hair, he lost his looks, his confidence was crushed, he lost his identity. His girlfriend also left him. He tried various treatments including snake oils to grow his hair but nothing worked. He then resorted to wig and gets a girl. But he wants real hair so he looks into transplant. But doctors tells him that he has too little hair, including the chest and body hair, for a transplant. That's all I saw in the trailer. I will watch it when it comes out. The lead is a big Bollywood star and actually has crazy dense hair in real life.

in a way i'm glad there's a big budget movie about this stuff. makes it normalized and people aware of it. call me crazy but i'm even sort of glad the whole idea of incels are mainstream now. I remember back in high school it felt taboo and shameful to admit being a male virgin, now its its own subculture and class. it makes me feel so much more accepted and less marginalized, even IF you're also demonized for it.

i have so many shitty high school memories of guys asking if i was talking to any girls, if i had a girlfriend, if i was a virgin, and honestly most of the time i'd straight up lie or not even say anything. today you can just say you're incel and people will understand that you're too ugly, shy, autistic, or whatever to get laid.

User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 572
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1779
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by EvilLocks » 3 months ago

pjhair wrote:
3 months ago
In the trailer, the protagonist, who goes bald, talks about how he was a really popular guy in his school when he had full head of hair. But when he lost his hair, he lost his looks, his confidence was crushed, he lost his identity. His girlfriend also left him. He tried various treatments including snake oils to grow his hair but nothing worked. He then resorted to wig and gets a girl.
I know you said this showcases the struggles of bald men perfectly (and I agree!) but this is exactly the scenario that happened to me :lol:
Just replace girlfriend with boyfriend and girl with boy :D
Anyway the movie looks cool as fuck. I hope they release it with subtitles so I can watch. It is about time the struggles of bald people get some mainstream attention (the trailer already has over 20 million views) :roll:

User avatar
kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 361
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 837
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by kj6723 » 3 months ago

pjhair wrote:
3 months ago
I was hoping that too but they have already started to mess with the narrative by race swapping main characters. It's pretty fucked up because Wheel of Time series already has prominent black characters. Two river folks are supposed to be homogeneous and isolated for thousands of years. Not a mixture of black, brown and whites. There is a reason things were set up the way they were in the books. In fact according to story, Rand distinctly stood out among two river folks because he was taller and had red hair. One great thing about Game of thrones show was that they didn't engage in idiotic race swapping and other sjw nonsense. Lets see how it turns out but I am a bit disappointed with the decision.
Confirmed it’s going to be terrible, or at least nowhere near the spirit of the books

User avatar
Wire
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 443
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 828
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: Overeat

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by Wire » 3 months ago

EvilLocks wrote:
3 months ago
I know you said this showcases the struggles of bald men perfectly (and I agree!) but this is exactly the scenario that happened to me :lol:
Just replace girlfriend with boyfriend and girl with boy :D
Anyway the movie looks cool as fuck. I hope they release it with subtitles so I can watch. It is about time the struggles of bald people get some mainstream attention (the trailer already has over 20 million views) :roll:
No matter how many times you try to - can't find the word for it - slide inside our group, you will never be one of us guys, It's super easy for you to find a boytoy. You could find one inside 24 hours. And of course, wigs are not allowed for men by society.

User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1233
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1590
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dustasteride 0.5 milligrams daily, Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by rclark » 3 months ago

Has anybody seen El Camino on Netflix?

It's good to finally see actors with realistic hairlines/baldness. I wish Hollywood would
start showing people with more realistic hair density.

aaron_paul.jpg
aaron_paul.jpg (2.34 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
Think happy thoughts.

User avatar
yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 517
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1377
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by yettee » 3 months ago

rclark wrote:
3 months ago
Has anybody seen El Camino on Netflix?

It's good to finally see actors with realistic hairlines/baldness. I wish Hollywood would
start showing people with more realistic hair density.


aaron_paul.jpg
Ya, I thought it was good. Very sadly, Robert Forster, the guy who plays the "make people disappear" vacuum cleaner dealer, just died on Friday. He was great.

User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1233
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1590
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dustasteride 0.5 milligrams daily, Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by rclark » 3 months ago

yettee wrote:
3 months ago
Ya, I thought it was good. Very sadly, Robert Forster, the guy who plays the "make people disappear" vacuum cleaner dealer, just died on Friday. He was great.
He was really great in the movie. I was sad about it to. He had brain cancer.

I'm glad that he will be recognized as a good actor.
Think happy thoughts.

User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 572
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1779
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by EvilLocks » 3 months ago

CaptainForehead wrote:
3 months ago
No matter how many times you try to - can't find the word for it - slide inside our group, you will never be one of us guys, It's super easy for you to find a boytoy. You could find one inside 24 hours. And of course, wigs are not allowed for men by society.
Are you serious?
Where in my post did I say my situation was like bald men? I just said that was what happened to me, which is true! I lost my hair (check), my boyfriend broke up with me (check), I tried various treatments and snake oils (check) and then resorted to a wig (check) and got a boy (check)
Get over yourself, "our" group? Seriously, how many times need it be said, this is an IMPACT OF HAIRLOSS forum, not the Impact of MEN'S hair loss Forum. As far as I know there are no rules to who can be part of the "group" as long as they are suffering from hair loss. Speak for yourself, but I believe at least some of the members here are happy to have me as part of the group. You never post anyway so are you a member of this group more than me?

User avatar
Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1167
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2428
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by Hairblues » 3 months ago

rclark wrote:
3 months ago
Has anybody seen El Camino on Netflix?

It's good to finally see actors with realistic hairlines/baldness. I wish Hollywood would
start showing people with more realistic hair density.


aaron_paul.jpg
Yeah I liked it the only negative is I still want to see what more.

User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1797
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 4866
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 3 months ago

Image

Also

In Joker, Black Women Are Visible But They Are Not Seen
https://time.com/5696670/joker-movie-bl ... d=75155849
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

"I do still post to criticise others" - Rudiger.

User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 572
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1779
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by EvilLocks » 3 months ago

EvilLocks wrote:
3 months ago
Are you serious?
Where in my post did I say my situation was like bald men? I just said that was what happened to me, which is true! I lost my hair (check), my boyfriend broke up with me (check), I tried various treatments and snake oils (check) and then resorted to a wig (check) and got a boy (check)
Get over yourself, "our" group? Seriously, how many times need it be said, this is an IMPACT OF HAIRLOSS forum, not the Impact of MEN'S hair loss Forum. As far as I know there are no rules to who can be part of the "group" as long as they are suffering from hair loss. Speak for yourself, but I believe at least some of the members here are happy to have me as part of the group. You never post anyway so are you a member of this group more than me?
I wanna follow up on this post and say that I'm sorry if this came across like an angry response. Now that I have calmed down (pregnancy hormones?) I just wanna say that the reason I reacted like that was that it stings a bit when a longtime member, someone I have always respected, tries to make me feel like an outcast even after I have been a member of first HairLossTalk and then this site for nearly SEVEN years. It feels like no matter what I say or do it will never be good enough. Especially since I have never claimed (as far as I can remember, at least) that my situation is comparable to or worse than that of bald men or incels. If I have done that it must have been at the very beginning of me joining HairLossTalk, when I was the most angry, desperate and sad, not to mention a 20 year old kid.
Apart from both being bald we face different challenges, I get it. I have never undermined your challenges @CaptainForehead so try and do the same for me.
I just thought we were beyond this now, after so many years of "knowing" each other.

User avatar
Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1167
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2428
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by Hairblues » 3 months ago

EvilLocks wrote:
3 months ago
I wanna follow up on this post and say that I'm sorry if this came across like an angry response. Now that I have calmed down (pregnancy hormones?) I just wanna say that the reason I reacted like that was that it stings a bit when a longtime member, someone I have always respected, tries to make me feel like an outcast even after I have been a member of first HairLossTalk and then this site for nearly SEVEN years. It feels like no matter what I say or do it will never be good enough. Especially since I have never claimed (as far as I can remember, at least) that my situation is comparable to or worse than that of bald men or incels. If I have done that it must have been at the very beginning of me joining HairLossTalk, when I was the most angry, desperate and sad, not to mention a 20 year old kid.
Apart from both being bald we face different challenges, I get it. I have never undermined your challenges @CaptainForehead so try and do the same for me.
I just thought we were beyond this now, after so many years of "knowing" each other.
Honestly in my opinion you have nothing to apologize over to him. You weren’t rude.

User avatar
Wire
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 443
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 828
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: Overeat

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by Wire » 3 months ago

EvilLocks wrote:
3 months ago
It feels like no matter what I say or do it will never be good enough.
It's the other way round, you will never be "bad enough" (and I hope you will never be as bad as us). And by "our group", I meant bald men's group not this forum. It's a different leve for bald guys. I also did not mean you are not welcome on this forum.
This was essentially what the legendary SadVegeta thread was about. :eh:
EvilLocks wrote:
3 months ago
Now that I have calmed down (pregnancy hormones?)
Hold up. You're pregnant?!
Congrats!!!
Hope it is girl twins. :)

I wonder how fat you will get :straight-smile:

User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 572
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1779
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by EvilLocks » 3 months ago

CaptainForehead wrote:
3 months ago
And by "our group", I meant bald men's group not this forum. It's a different leve for bald guys. I also did not mean you are not welcome on this forum.
This was essentially what the legendary SadVegeta thread was about. :eh:
So have you seen me trying to be a bald man though? Since you said I try to be like you guys but can't. What do I do that makes you think I try to be like a bald man? That's just ridiculous.
When you refer to the SadVegeta thread, what do you mean? Do you mean that I in this thread claimed that bald women are worse off than bald men? If so, stop living in the past. How many years ago was that thread made? 5? 6? Are people going to hold an ancient thread that was made at the height of my hair loss psychosis against me years later? What bullshit. In recent years I have never made one statement, not one, about bald women being worse off than bald men. And the only thing I did say in the past, was that you cannot understand my struggles because you're not me and I cannot understand your struggles because I'm not you. So please, just. STOP.

CaptainForehead wrote:
3 months ago
I wonder how fat you will get :straight-smile:
:thumbdown:

User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1233
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1590
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dustasteride 0.5 milligrams daily, Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by rclark » 3 months ago

Hollywood has many unrealistic expectations for both women and men. By that I mean
movies made in the United States and shown internationally.

The woman who I remember had hair issues was Helen Hunt. I haven't seen her in
movies for a very long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Hunt


As for men, it's just as bad. When I saw It Chapter 2, I really do think James McVoy
had hair extensions for the IT Chapter 2 movie, and possibly some of the other actors as well.

His hair really is not that dense in real life. It kind of surprised me, because it really
seemed as if the costars all had hair extensions, except for one.
Think happy thoughts.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nameless and 3 guests