Film and television discussion thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 4 weeks ago

I watched Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool, it's a documentary on the life of Miles Davis, an African American jazz musician. It's got a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a 7.0/10 on IMDB.

Though it's clearly a good movie, I didn't enjoy it that much myself due to my lack of familiarity with the topic. It covers a lot of musical history and African American history from the period 1940-1990. Basically, I expect that this will be an enjoyable film for anybody who cares about Jazz. A huge swath is covered: Davis growing up in Jim Crow America, Davis going to France after the war and living life as a talented man in a less racist society, Davis going to Julliard, etc.

I did find the part about him going to Julliard interesting. For those unfamiliar, Julliard might be the most respected institution for the arts in the United States, think of it as being to music and theater what Harvard is to law. Davis was getting a detailed, rigorous, classical and theoretical education there in the day time, and at night he would sneak out and contribute to the Jazz/Beebop revolution, where the intellectual level was just as high, but different, and the two sides largely did not know about one another.

There's a fabulous anecdote of Miles Davis contribution to film history. While the French New Wave was in full swing, Miles Davis composed the musical score for the film Elevator to the Gallows (Ascenseur Pour lLéchafaud) (1958), where he would play on his instrument while watching the fucking movie, in the movie theater, responding to the mood of the movie and simultaneously creating the score. Holy shit, it's hard to imagine of such a level of genius, creativity, and focus. The score, actually did really well, and contributed to the success of the movie. The contribution to film history is discussed here:
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/richa ... soundtrack

Plenty of other aspects of his life are discussed, including a lot of less fortunate ones, such as his addiction to drugs and his horrible treatment of his first wife. They did a good job of painting a complete picture. To be honest, I was a little bored toward the end, and so I recommend this to anybody with an interest in musical and in particular in Jazz history.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Head & Shoulders caffeine shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 4 weeks ago

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6320628/

Great story and the greatest contemporary movie, that will probably soon be dethroned by Joker :eyes:.

A 9.5/10 in my book.

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by pjhair » 4 weeks ago

Admin wrote:
4 weeks ago
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6320628/

Great story and the greatest contemporary movie, that will probably soon be dethroned by Joker :eyes:.

A 9.5/10 in my book.
I usually enjoy Spiderman movies but for some reason, I was mostly bored by far from home. It may be because I didn't like the villain and the tech he was using to fight Spiderman. I enjoyed scenes involving Spidermans friend and happy though.

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 4 weeks ago

pjhair wrote:
4 weeks ago
I usually enjoy Spiderman movies but for some reason, I was mostly bored by far from home. It may be because I didn't like the villain and the tech he was using to fight Spiderman. I enjoyed scenes involving Spidermans friend and happy though.
Didn't see that one, but I thought the recent 'Into the Spider-Verse' animated movie was fantastic... first Spidey movie I've enjoyed since the first Tobey Maguire one.

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by pjhair » 4 weeks ago

yettee wrote:
4 weeks ago
Didn't see that one, but I thought the recent 'Into the Spider-Verse' animated movie was fantastic... first Spidey movie I've enjoyed since the first Tobey Maguire one.
Some of my friends have also told me that into the Spider-verse movie is great. Someday I will get around to watching it. Spiderman by Tobey Maguire is my all time favorite Spiderman movie. I really enjoyed the second one in the series as well.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 3 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
4 weeks ago
I watched Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool, it's a documentary on the life of Miles Davis, an African American jazz musician. It's got a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a 7.0/10 on IMDB.

Though it's clearly a good movie, I didn't enjoy it that much myself due to my lack of familiarity with the topic. It covers a lot of musical history and African American history from the period 1940-1990. Basically, I expect that this will be an enjoyable film for anybody who cares about Jazz. A huge swath is covered: Davis growing up in Jim Crow America, Davis going to France after the war and living life as a talented man in a less racist society, Davis going to Julliard, etc.

I did find the part about him going to Julliard interesting. For those unfamiliar, Julliard might be the most respected institution for the arts in the United States, think of it as being to music and theater what Harvard is to law. Davis was getting a detailed, rigorous, classical and theoretical education there in the day time, and at night he would sneak out and contribute to the Jazz/Beebop revolution, where the intellectual level was just as high, but different, and the two sides largely did not know about one another.

There's a fabulous anecdote of Miles Davis contribution to film history. While the French New Wave was in full swing, Miles Davis composed the musical score for the film Elevator to the Gallows (Ascenseur Pour lLéchafaud) (1958), where he would play on his instrument while watching the fucking movie, in the movie theater, responding to the mood of the movie and simultaneously creating the score. Holy shit, it's hard to imagine of such a level of genius, creativity, and focus. The score, actually did really well, and contributed to the success of the movie. The contribution to film history is discussed here:
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/richa ... soundtrack

Plenty of other aspects of his life are discussed, including a lot of less fortunate ones, such as his addiction to drugs and his horrible treatment of his first wife. They did a good job of painting a complete picture. To be honest, I was a little bored toward the end, and so I recommend this to anybody with an interest in musical and in particular in Jazz history.

On a much less cerebral level, have you watched Supergirl season 4? I’ve been binging on/off I’m about half way through the season...I don't know why but it always sucks me in. It’s totally cheesy and silly but just an easy watch when doing house work or paying bills etc. i was disappointed in casting of Lex but the storyline improved with his character. He’s not a bad actor, especially for a show this level, but just sooo synonyms with character on two and half men and Ducky from Pretry in Pink. I keep waiting for Charlie Sheen or James Spader to pop up and say something snarky.
I liked the Manchester Black character/actor and they upped their use of music in some scenes. He defined himself in a scene as the ‘radical left’which I thought was a nice counter balance to the obvious nod to the extreme right. (Both sides are bad characters in the show).

If you haven’t watched Barry you should give it a try.
(Dark comedy). It’s about 25 minutes an episode I think. Gets surprisingly poinent in some scenes.
Last edited by Hairblues 3 weeks ago, edited 2 times in total.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 3 weeks ago

Hairblues wrote:
3 weeks ago
On a much less cerebral level, have you watched Supergirl season 4? I’ve been binging on/off I’m about half way through the season...I don't know why but it always sucks me in. It’s totally cheesy and silly but just an easy watch when doing house work or paying bills etc. i was disappointed in casting of Lex but the storyline improved with his character. He’s not a bad actor, especially for a show this level, but just sooo synonyms with character on two and half men and Ducky from Pretry in Pink. I keep waiting for Charlie Sheen or James Spader to pop up and say something snarky.
I dug the Manchester Black character/actor and they upped their use of music in some scenes. He defined himself in a scene as the ‘radical left’which I thought was a nice counter balance to the obvious nod to the extreme right. (Both sides are bad characters in the show).

(Dark comedy). It’s about 25 minutes an episode I think. Gets surprisingly poinent in some scenes.
I did watch it. It made for excellent viewing to have on while being on my elliptical. I need something light, and fun, while doing cardio, that I can give 75% of my attention to and still follow, and lasts about ~40 minutes an episode which corresponds to an adequate cardio session. Supergirl fits the bill.

I did quite like Supergirl season 4, I think that they did a good job of exploring a lot of the issues. For example, the neo-nazi played by Sam Witwer had his family damaged in perfectly reasonable ways (in-universe logic) by alien interventions, so his views made sense. It also made sense that he got co-opted, and then had trouble maintaining his movement. They have set up a good storyline with Alex being made to forget who supergirl is.

Speaking of which, I find Chyler Leigh (Alex Danvers on Supergirl, Lexy Grey on Grey's Anatomy) to be absurdly beautiful.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago
I did watch it. It made for excellent viewing to have on while being on my elliptical. I need something light, and fun, while doing cardio, that I can give 75% of my attention to and still follow, and lasts about ~40 minutes an episode which corresponds to an adequate cardio session. Supergirl fits the bill.

I did quite like Supergirl season 4, I think that they did a good job of exploring a lot of the issues. For example, the neo-nazi played by Sam Witwer had his family damaged in perfectly reasonable ways (in-universe logic) by alien interventions, so his views made sense. It also made sense that he got co-opted, and then had trouble maintaining his movement. They have set up a good storyline with Alex being made to forget who supergirl is.

Speaking of which, I find Chyler Leigh (Alex Danvers on Supergirl, Lexy Grey on Grey's Anatomy) to be absurdly beautiful.

I agree. It was possibly best season in my opinion for getting a little deeper in character development.

I think she’s a naturally pretty. She’s not striking but very pretty.

Edited because I was mistaken 😂 I thought the trans actress wasn’t really trans.

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by pjhair » 3 weeks ago

Hairblues wrote:
3 weeks ago
I dug the Manchester Black character/actor and they upped their use of music in some scenes. He defined himself in a scene as the ‘radical left’which I thought was a nice counter balance to the obvious nod to the extreme right. (Both sides are bad characters in the show).

Supergirl is fun to watch. I binge on it whenever the new season shows up on Netflix.

I am really excited about an upcoming series on Amazon called Wheel of Time. It's based on a book series. If they do it right, it has potential to be one of the most popular shows out there.

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 3 weeks ago

I like supergirl's character drama but the SJW shit was so horrible and forced and constant. Season 4 was especially bad. It reminded me of a creative writing exercise I had to do in high school where the students made hilariously obvious allegories.

You don't need to be anti white or anti male or do any pigeonholing to have interesting independent female or POC or LGBT characters (or whatever other groups are in the woke protected list). Caitlyn in Flash or Sara on Arrow shine without putting down the white male main heroes. I'm not biased against female characters either. Sara connor, Princess Leia, Lois Lane , and Ripley are all classic

I also found it hard to take reign on season 3 seriously. Like you can be an intimidating female villain as long as you do it in the right way. Hela from Thor is the right way to do it, she's scary in a weird black magic kind of way, while with Reign she was just a powerful brute type figure. A woman doesn't work with that kind of vibe.

Supergirl trips all over itself with the propaganda. For example with the trans alien, the dream gene can only be passed down in women, yet somehow the trans gets the GENE??? HRT obviously doesnt change your genes . . . Its trying to say that trans are different on a fundamental or genetic level somehow lol. Or manchester black talking about leaving the racists to his alien gang. Like racists arent even the enemy on the show????? And they force woke shit into the dialogue every 10 minutes lol. Martian manhunters dad talking about the founders of rock not getting enough recognition??? The dudes a newly immigrated alien he shouldnt even have an understanding of the problems with that. Or when jimmy olsen randomly started crying about police falsely arresting him as a kid. So much cringe. Its a cringe overload every episode.

A lot of the characters are also lame woke versions of preexisting ones. Of course the main character is just a female Superman. Lana is female lex and the Luthor mom is female Luthor dad from Smallville, same with Reign and Smallville Doomsday. Reign even had the exact same Jekkyl and Hyde trope that Smallville Doomsday had. If anything it goes against the woke cause. Wouldn't it be much more meaningful to just create your own characters? It comes off as a way to spite white men/men and their creations.

Is it really that hard to make something focused on being interesting and creative rather than trying to push an agenda? No offense but I think a lot of it has to do with it being made by women, women are so inherently social they cant disconnect from their social inclinations. They can't just totally zone into their imagination like men can. I guess I don't really blame them, theyre groomed from birth to be much more social than men. That combined with getting hit on constantly and they're just way more anchored to their reputation than we are. This keeps them from making truly classic art. There's a few notable exceptions though. A few off the top of my head I love are Frankenstein, Harry Potter (one of my favorite stories ever, legit the only fiction i reread periodically), the classic film version of American Psycho (directed by a woman) , and the film Lost in Translation.

So just pointing those out to show I'm not sexist or biased against female created art, it's just with supergirl the social problems correlated with being female manifest. I almost never even look up who is behind what I like, I prefer thinking of art as separate from the artist.
Sometimes one gets disappointed when they find out more about the creators. They might be assholes or bad people or whatever, which can ruin the art itself by association.
Last edited by Exodus 3 weeks ago, edited 2 times in total.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

pjhair wrote:
3 weeks ago
Supergirl is fun to watch. I binge on it whenever the new season shows up on Netflix.

I am really excited about an upcoming series on Amazon called Wheel of Time. It's based on a book series. If they do it right, it has potential to be one of the most popular shows out there.

I will look for that one :)

The Boys on amazon was also really good.

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by yettee » 3 weeks ago

Admin wrote:
1 month ago
I know it's early, but dat IMDB rating :soyboy-jahns: :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7286456/

There are connections between 'Joker' and 'The King of Comedy'. (including, most definitely, the images above and below, lol)

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/rober ... 202055636/

The King of Comedy is such a great movie. Just watched it again today, wow. THAT'S a movie. So this is basically just a holler to anyone who hasn't seen it, ya, see it.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 3 weeks ago

OK, maybe I'll try the Boys. I've been looking for something new to watch while on the elliptical.

I was watching Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, but that show got stale on me fast. I really, genuinely enjoyed the first few episodes, but I'm no longer enjoying. The premise of the show is that five gay guys visit some straight slob somewhere in America, and teach him the value to have faith in himself, to dress better, to eat better, to have better furniture, etc. The lessons are ... semi-valuable. All of these things are true in the abstract, but ...

- It's easy to dress better and have better furniture when a reality show comes in with the budget to upgrade your living room, etc.
- They wear clothes that look good on camera but may not be practical. For example, they had an overweight guy in the South put on a suit. Ummmm, it's hot and humid down there, and overweight people sweat more, a suit is not a great idea.
- I believe that real change takes more than a week.

So whatever, I'll try the boys within a couple days. Several people have recommended it now.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

yettee wrote:
3 weeks ago
There are connections between 'Joker' and 'The King of Comedy'. (including, most definitely, the images above and below, lol)

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/rober ... 202055636/

The King of Comedy is such a great movie. Just watched it again today, wow. THAT'S a movie. So this is basically just a holler to anyone who hasn't seen it, ya, see it.

I second that The King Of Comedy is a fantastic film. It’s uncomfortable in moments kind of cringy but so good and maybe one of the first films of that type, where the lead was actually an irritant.
I think it got a lot of mixed reviews when it came out because the character isn’t a likeabke hero but not a psychopath either. Just so incredibly tone deaf and delusional. It’s one of Deniros best performances and a side of Jerry Lewis I’ve never seen in anything else. (He’s supposedly more like that in real life than the loveable clown he usually plays on screen) a young Sandra Bernhardt is in it as well and is so ridiculously creepy it somehow works.

Added in 4 minutes 49 seconds:
Afro_Vacancy wrote:
3 weeks ago
OK, maybe I'll try the Boys. I've been looking for something new to watch while on the elliptical.

I was watching Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, but that show got stale on me fast. I really, genuinely enjoyed the first few episodes, but I'm no longer enjoying. The premise of the show is that five gay guys visit some straight slob somewhere in America, and teach him the value to have faith in himself, to dress better, to eat better, to have better furniture, etc. The lessons are ... semi-valuable. All of these things are true in the abstract, but ...

- It's easy to dress better and have better furniture when a reality show comes in with the budget to upgrade your living room, etc.
- They wear clothes that look good on camera but may not be practical. For example, they had an overweight guy in the South put on a suit. Ummmm, it's hot and humid down there, and overweight people sweat more, a suit is not a great idea.
- I believe that real change takes more than a week.

So whatever, I'll try the boys within a couple days. Several people have recommended it now.
I started the latest season of Legends of Tomorrow. It’s pretty good for silly CW comic sci fi. Like silly entertainment. The boys is good but maybbe more engrossing then elliptical. Also liked Carnival Row but people over hyped it. Like it’s good but it’s not amazing.

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by yettee » 3 weeks ago

Hairblues wrote:
3 weeks ago
It’s one of Deniros best performances and a side of Jerry Lewis I’ve never seen in anything else. (He’s supposedly more like that in real life than the loveable clown he usually plays on screen) a young Sandra Bernhardt is in it as well and is so ridiculously creepy it somehow works.
Ya, all the performances are ridiculously good, in particular the 3 of them. Jerry Lewis' annoyed, deadpan stares are amazing and perfect. Bernhardt, maybe the most believable and funny psycho I've ever seen on screen, she's just so natural and good and charismatic. De Niro, ya, it's just mindblowing that the same guy could do this role, be the young Godfather, Travis Bickle, mr. Cape Fear etc... same actor?! Scorsese clearly has tried to fashion DiCaprio into his modern day De Niro, but as great as Leo is, there's only 1 De Niro... anyway the King of Comedy is as good as any film ever made. Love it.